Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

That's not really a surprise, right? Wasn't it revealed way back when that black metal vessels were coming from Magnoshutatt? And considering Al Sarmen seems mostly concerned with spreading chaos, pitting the two sides against each other also makes sense anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I'm wondering the "only magi can create life" comment means that Aladdin is going to eventually create a djinn.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Who created all the existing Djinn in the first place? I thought it was either Solomon or perhaps that Magi who has been going around making the dungeons.

Could be that they independently discovered black rukh and how to work with it on their own. I don't see why it means they're tied in with the "certain organization".

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Djinn are still located in that other world (unless there's some sort of weird time travel involved I guess), they appeared to be human at one point (just like the artificial Djinn) before whatever the magicians did to blow up the world. Solomon probably did something to change them into Djinn.

Magicland is definitely tied tied to Al Sarmen since the black metal vessels were created there. This is just confirmation on top of that.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Who created all the existing Djinn in the first place? I thought it was either Solomon or perhaps that Magi who has been going around making the dungeons.

Could be that they independently discovered black rukh and how to work with it on their own. I don't see why it means they're tied in with the "certain organization".

I think it was King Solomon created all the Dijinn, there are few scenes in the previous chapters that showed the people living with King Solomon have high resemblance with the Dginn today.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

wfwon posted:

I think it was King Solomon created all the Dijinn, there are few scenes in the previous chapters that showed the people living with King Solomon have high resemblance with the Dginn today.

Plus there's a chapter where the top Kou prince explains that one of his djinn straight-up told him that they'd been created by King Solomon, though the Kou guys don't know who that is.

As an aside, having re-read those chapters I have to say that 147 is probably one of my favourite chapters. That whole sequence with Hakuei and Hakuryuu returning to the Imperial city and the way they're immersed in its politics is great.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 164

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess I should have put it all together once they said that magi could create life.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess I should have put it all together once they said that magi could create life.

What still surprises me is how Titus is a better magician than Aladdin. I don't know if I should take that as a sign of how strong Scherehazade is, or that Aladdin is still pretty weak for a Magi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

What still surprises me is how Titus is a better magician than Aladdin. I don't know if I should take that as a sign of how strong Scherehazade is, or that Aladdin is still pretty weak for a Magi.

It seems like he started with a large portion of his master's abilities, while Aladdin is learning most of this stuff for the first time. Titus had a head start, is all.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jesus that's depressing. Things are probably only going to get worse too. :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh Gandolf Hitler, you're a cunning one, you are.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I certainly didn't see this coming. Very nice. The mangaka did an excellent job settings things up perfectly. Aladdin is going to be sorely tested now....

Also, I am getting the impression that the Magi are not necessarily very nice people (aside from our Aladdin, of course).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Also, I am getting the impression that the Magi are not necessarily very nice people (aside from our Aladdin, of course).

Well, yeah. The first Magi we met other than Aladdin was a pretty big rear end.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Weekly Magi release bump.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man I wish Magical Hitler wasn't evil. :(

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

Man I wish Magical Hitler wasn't evil. :(

No more evil than the Laem or Kou empires - or Sinbad's alliance, for that matter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He's Bizarro Dumbledore, get it right.

E: Was that bit at the end an ad for a Sinbad spinoff? Or is it a side-story coming up next?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 2, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Not-Gandalf is probably the most interesting character in the series so far.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

He's Bizarro Dumbledore, get it right.

E: Was that bit at the end an ad for a Sinbad spinoff? Or is it a side-story coming up next?

She's doing a 60-70 page special on Sinbad, I believe it's an aside to the current story, rather than an arc.

E: Now with a link!

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 2, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Mogamett is such a well constructed character so far, in some ways he is a very good person and in some ways he is a very bad person, and those two sides of him are driven from exactly the same thing: his drive to protect magicians. Why is he willing to make an enemy of the Laem empire over one person? Because that person is a magician who needs his help. Why does he treat the Goi so badly? Because he has seen Goi treat magicians badly in the past and no longer trusts them. Why does he see the Goi as animals? Probably as a defense mechanism to justify his treatment of them. His entire world view is built on the Goi vs Magician dynamic and his actions all flow from that, both his kindness and his cruelty.

I hope he can eventually see the error of his ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Mogamett is such a well constructed character so far, in some ways he is a very good person and in some ways he is a very bad person, and those two sides of him are driven from exactly the same thing: his drive to protect magicians. Why is he willing to make an enemy of the Laem empire over one person? Because that person is a magician who needs his help. Why does he treat the Goi so badly? Because he has seen Goi treat magicians badly in the past and no longer trusts them. Why does he see the Goi as animals? Probably as a defense mechanism to justify his treatment of them. His entire world view is built on the Goi vs Magician dynamic and his actions all flow from that, both his kindness and his cruelty.

I hope he can eventually see the error of his ways.

That's the great thing about this arc. Even though Aladdin sort of specializes in that sort of thing, it is still completely up in the air whether Mogamett will reform or not.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

The Israelis Magicians are going to need to pull out some wonder-weapons if they want a chance of holding off not-Rome. From earlier chapters we know they have around 500 "high-level" mages, plus around 3000 students and immigrant magicians. The Finalists(?) are great at punching things really hard, but I assume they'd run into trouble if confronted by large numbers of mages. I assume they'll try to sneak in, grab Titus (and kill Mogamett?) and then do as much damage as they can on their way out, leaving the rest to not-Rome's regular military.

EDIT Something I just noticed: In the panel where Mogamett talks about al-Sarmen's metal vessels, there's a whole crowd of people armed with them, aside from the four we've already seen.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 10, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The weaknesses of mages in this setting are speed and stamina. Morgianna is a pubescent girl with mental baggage. These fanalis are all seasoned adult warriors. It is pretty safe to say that they are absurdly fast, strong, experienced and tough. Furthermore, their leader has a primary metal vessel with a djinn. Magic Israel is definitely the underdog in this situation.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 167

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is it just me or does Alibaba look a bit gaunt?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

"This is the most majestic shonen manga in history about swords, magic, and superpowers!" sounds like a very lofty claim.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given that it's competitor (given the criteria it's set out) is Bleach, I can say that's a valid claim.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Don't forget, One Piece is another shonen manga about swords, magic, and superpowers.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Magi is better.

I keep on reading One Piece and it keeps on being OK, there just isn't any part that's particularly impressive.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Is it just me or does Alibaba look a bit gaunt?
He looks like he has some sort of skin infection. I just realized those are scars from his fight with the giant ape thingy. Aren't they? I'm honestly disappointed we didn't get to see any more of his gladiator training. I also expected to see the giant ape to become part of the group now.

Level Slide posted:

"This is the most majestic shonen manga in history about swords, magic, and superpowers!" sounds like a very lofty claim.
I think there are semantic tricks advertisers can use to say they're the "best" at any one thing when in reality, that's not the case. Regardless, I would agree that this is a pretty drat good manga. Whether it's the "most majestic" is probably up to the reader to decide.

I get the impression that the Finalis from Laem are generally a bunch of idiots and only their half-breed (and therefore much weaker) captain is capable of properly thinking for them. What kind of bullshit is that? Am I reading that correctly? I never got the idea the other two Finalis we know of were particularly incapable of thinking.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dan7el posted:

I get the impression that the Finalis from Laem are generally a bunch of idiots and only their half-breed (and therefore much weaker) captain is capable of properly thinking for them. What kind of bullshit is that? Am I reading that correctly? I never got the idea the other two Finalis we know of were particularly incapable of thinking.
I'm not really getting that impression, dude who was proposing that they swim across the ocean was just a stereotypical muscle-head (and he probably could have done it anyways). Sort of weird how pretty much all the male finalis have a labret, or how all of them either have really heavy eyelashes or use some sort of cosmetics around their eyes.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the lining around the Finalis' eyes is genetic. Either that or they get tatooed as infants. I suspect it's genetic. It's how we, the manga reader, can tell that the character is, in fact, a Finalis. Otherwise, how would we know?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aaaaaand we're back: 168

Pretty much spelled out that the weakness of this set-up is the magoi supply.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Aaaaaand we're back: 168

Pretty much spelled out that the weakness of this set-up is the magoi supply.

Titus already told Scherezade where the magoi comes from, even.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Not a good day to be a not-Rome grunt.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
So I'm guessing the result here is that all this heavy use of magic is very taxing on the non magic users below the city. Their power isn't really limitless, its probably killing off the people below the city, which is what Aladdin is so worried about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PastaSky posted:

So I'm guessing the result here is that all this heavy use of magic is very taxing on the non magic users below the city. Their power isn't really limitless, its probably killing off the people below the city, which is what Aladdin is so worried about.

Nah, he is worried about black rukh. Cutting the magicians off from their power source would get all of them killed. Aladdin isn't likely to save one over the other.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think there's a lot of things we don't know yet. First, what is Aladdin going to do? Indications are that he wants to stop Mogamett and keep people from getting hurt. What will Aladdin do when he realizes that the enemy can't penetrate the barrier and therefore not really many will be hurt? It's basically a big siege with few people on either side being harmed. I know we saw the magicians destroy a few soldiers, but I suspect that was for effect and not something they'll spend a lot of time doing.

Also, how powerful is the Reim/Leim empire's Magi, Scheherazade? Can she break the barrier by herself without help? What happens if Aladdin decides to go head-to-head against her? What makes her so confident that the barriers will go down?

We don't have any indication that the fact the Magnostadt country uses goi as a source of magoi is any kind of serious weakness. I said earlier I didn't think this was sustainable, but others seemed to disagree with me. Could using the goi for war as a source of magic could lead to burn-out over time, but have we seen any indication that this is going to be a problem? Mogamett doesn't seem very concerned. In fact, he seems like he's planned this entire scenario out already and has stuffed his country with enough resources to outlast any indefinite siege. He's definitely not stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The regular troops aren't Scheherezade's real power. She has metal vessel users and a literal army comprised of people who are stronger than Morgiana. Mogamett is well prepared for a conventional military invasion, but to handle the big guns he is going to have to use black metal vessels.

• Locked thread