Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Starting out on a 250 two stroke would be pretty silly as a beginning rider. If you have little riding experience motocross is an very difficult sport to learn. A two stroke 125 will be pretty cheap to maintain if you replace the top ends pretty often. Don't forget to budget for boots helmet and the rest which can add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yep I've been told to budget $1,500+ for gear. My ma said if I get a smaller trailbike first that she'll buy it off me when I progress up to a bigger MX bike, as she wants to do trail riding and nothing else, so I may start there for a few months at least, until I have the basics down.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
Awesome decision!

I just started my old man out on a Husky TC250 after his 25yr two wheel break. IMO the 250 4-strokes are well suited to start on if you have at least a little bit of co-ordination. I talked him out of starting on true beginner bike and he's now glad he's on the aggressive side of the small bikes. Its a good mix of power/weight/snappy-ness that will keep him interested as his skills progress, but not whiskey throttle him into the ER too easily.

You says you're a big guy, I wouldn't go for a 125. They are stupid cheap though. A 250 2-stroke mx bike will not end well at all.

Check out some of the "impact protection" rigs companies like THOR make. They are super comfortable and cover your elbow/forearms too. The Thor one snugs up around your shoulder with adjustable straps for tons of support. Shoulder checking into the ground is a common way to crash. If you're heading straight out to the MX track to learn, you might want to look into a neck brace as well. There will be crashes. Could make the difference between calling it a day and calling it a year.

Good luck, be sure to post some pics of the bike you pick up!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Oof, yeah 250 2 stroke prob not a good decision for starter bike for MX. 250 4 stroke would prob be more forgiving.

What is your previous experience motorcycle wise? I started out just this year on a KTM200EXC, it's a 2 stroke and I can honestly say the learning curve from 2 stroke to 4 stroke is definitely different. 2 strokes get into a LOT of power up top and do so REALLY quick like. Now the EXC is a woods bike though so it's still got a pretty good bottom end, but gets on the pipe and whoaaoaoa still. I can't even imagine an MX bike as beginning as you're pretty much always goign to need to be on the pipe and can't lug them around as much.

From my limited experience I would think that a 250 4 stroke would probably be ok. 250 2 stroke MX bike and yeah drat.

edit: If you want to check out learning factor on a 2 stroke lemme know, plenty of fall over/crash videos on my channel.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I've literally never ridden a two-wheeled motorbike before. I've putted around on ATV's, but nothing else, ever. It'll all be new, and I was considering recording it from the beginning for the amusement of others.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
RECORD. THAT. poo poo.

Also eff a 250 lol. Get a 4 stroke trail bike and learn on it first, let yer mom buy it, then step up to a bigger bike. Maybe a CRF230F would be a good first one I think. Learn to shift and all that jazz and how it all works. Just my 2 cents.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I've got a GoPro budgeted in. What was your youtube channel? I've been soaking up all sorts of stack videos over the last week or two, they're pretty fun to watch.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
http://youtube.com/dirtnewb

I think that should work. Lots of really slow falls/goofiness/binning it. :cheers:

I've gotten faster, but I'm still really slow. If you go from the first vid you can see some slight progression. :)

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Silver posted:

RECORD. THAT. poo poo.

Also eff a 250 lol. Get a 4 stroke trail bike and learn on it first, let yer mom buy it, then step up to a bigger bike. Maybe a CRF230F would be a good first one I think. Learn to shift and all that jazz and how it all works. Just my 2 cents.

Something like a CRF 230/TTR 230 would be decent, however in Australia they're almost the same price as a yz250F/CRF250, therefore you're probably better off just getting a yz250F/CRF250. Also anecdotally I had a mate who had a TTR230 who had a MX track at his house (never saw it, but it was OK size as I understand) and after about 6-12 months he wanted/needed something bigger.

e: seconding the record that poo poo

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just because the 230s are nearly the same price to buy doesn't mean they are the same price to own. The 4t CRF/YZF/etc are probably one of the most expensive bikes to ride / maintain. The 250 topend doesn't last nearly as long and you still have to deal with the valvetrain and such.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
So, on loading motorcycles. I first watched Noel load his and he would load it in his truck sideways so he could slide the ramp under the bike in between the wheels and also shut the tail gate. This was a very nice way to load I thought. So I adopted this style.

See, tail gate shut, ramp in between the wheels, Cooler and gas can I don't have to worry about sliding out. I have since grown unhappy with this style of loading though as it tends to lean the bike to the right pretty hard core putting most of the weight on the left strap. Have been thinking about adopting a different style of loading but haven't put that into practice yet. Today, loading to go ride, I have the bike in sideways like that, I have the straps on which I thought I had snug enough, I get out of the truck to tighten them down fully and the bike starts to move a bit, no biggy it's going to move the straps aren't tight yet.

Well it moved a lot. As in fell right the eff over as the left hand strap was way loose. This caused the bars to rotate as it fell resulting in this...

I'll be putting it in straight ahead from now on I think. If I had it like that today it would have just donked on the side of the truck bed and been fine. Ah well. Window is now replaced. Calling it a day for today. Want to know how to freak your wife out? Bust your window while loading your dirt bike. Then go get window replaced. Next day, start loading your dirt bike again and watch her go :eek: wondering if you're going to break the brand new one.

Bah! I had such a rad set of stickers on the one I just smashed too. Going to have to re sticker up. :(

Silver fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 24, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You just gotta do a better job of securing and stabilizing the front wheel. Really jam it into the truck. You have a ranger, I used to have a B4000 (same body) and you can jam the front wheel under the truck bed lip pretty securely. The trick is front wheel in as straight as you can, then you tweak the back end of the bike over. that way the bars are mostly straight.

Also if I have just the one bike and its got lots of room to move I'll throw an extra strap or two on the back of the bike.

Tailgate up is always nicer than tailgate down.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2012

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah only bad thing about that is it still tilts as the front wheel pivots, tried a couple of different styles. I have a camper shell I don't use anymore, going to see if someone wants to trade that for an extended tail gate. I run a strap on the back left side too as well. Today was just a whoops didn't snug it before hopping out of the truck to pull it tight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Transport it in gear too. When the bike's in gear, it's not going to roll more than a few inches. Really handy for unloading, too, as you can use the clutch as a proxy for the rear brake while unloading.

Also, set up your straps so that it pulls the bike's wheel into the front of the bed and compresses the suspension rather than tilting it up. You're not trying to transport it with the sidestand down, right?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2012

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
No sidestand down, suspension compressed. It rode fine, but was just leaned over due to how the straps pulled so I didn't care for it. Today it would have rode just fine as it has before, but I didn't snug the strap before going to tighten it fully. It's how I've transported it multiple times and it works and bike is stable/doesn't fall over, I just don't like how it leans. Also if I wouldn't have had it angled then the bar wouldn't have smacked the window :)

Transporting it in gear wouldn't really make any difference though. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Found a guy who might buy my car off me, and his mate Angus is selling a 2010 Honda CRF230F. I've got them talking to each other to see what turns up in terms of money my way, and hopefully I'll end up with a nice bike plus some cash left for gear.

Angus says the bike has all new plastics and some aftermarket bits, was bought by them from the dealer in January 2011, and will come with either a full rebuild already done or a rebuild kit included, my choice. I think I might take the bike+kit option so I get some practice in early. He wants $3,500 for the lot. I'm pushing for $4,000 for my Nissan 180SX, so we'll see what ends up happening.

Worst comes to worst I get the bike and a helmet and muck around in an empty field til I can get the rest of the safety gear.

edit: Found another guy who wants the car! Turns out $4k is the price they all come out of the woodwork :stare:

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 25, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Silver posted:

Transporting it in gear wouldn't really make any difference though. :)

The reclukse is completely disengaged when the bike is off? I thought it would be engaged as it requires the spinning of the clutch basket to disengage. Learn something everyday :)

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah pretty much. I can roll it around in gear with the bike off, which has also made for some interesting kick starts when it's in gear instead of neutral. Draw back? Can't push start it if I find the need too.

Not sure if I have posted this pic in here yet, but it deserves a repost if I have.

edit: Mine is the z-start which is one of the first gen's, I think the newer ones have full clutch action(Mine walks with the clutch in and me on the gas) as well as locks when in gear so you can push start it/leave it in gear so it doesn't move.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

The reclukse is completely disengaged when the bike is off? I thought it would be engaged as it requires the spinning of the clutch basket to disengage. Learn something everyday :)

It requires the spinning of the clutch basket to engage, not disengage. The balls are held at a lesser diameter by spring force. As the bike spins up the balls push outwards overcoming the spring force, moving up a ramp which closes the clutch pack.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

It requires the spinning of the clutch basket to engage, not disengage. The balls are held at a lesser diameter by spring force. As the bike spins up the balls push outwards overcoming the spring force, moving up a ramp which closes the clutch pack.

Of course...that makes total sense. :doh:

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Picked up a '01 TM 125 MX up in Minnesota about two months ago when i was there for work. Bike runs well, even with my rear end on it, but definitely was ridden hard. Supposedly, it was the 125 National Champ in Minnesota at one point, but yeah, people come up with wild stories when trying to sell you something.

TMs are really rare in the states, which surprised me even more when i found it in nowhere Minnesota.
Well, i rode it up there on some nice tracks and had a blast, but there were definitely things i needed to fix on it when i got back home.
I started tearing into it a few weeks ago and just kept on finding more and more stuff that needs attention. After all, she is a 11 year old girl who led a hard life.

In the end, i ended up with this.

The major thing that made me mad was the swingarm. After finally getting that fucker off, i noticed a hairline crack along a weld. No biggie, my buddy can weld aluminum, but then i opened up the access holes in the side to get the other linkage out and saw that the inside of the swingarm was completely and utterly corroded to crap. Apparently, TM used a Steel bolt and nut inside a aluminum swingarm, which when paired with some minnesotian water resulted in an interesting formation of new life.
So, right now, i'm getting the forks and shock rebuilt, getting the engine checked over (But it appears to be the only thing that's not hosed on this bike) and now in the process of sourcing a new swingarm for it.

You know, this wouldn't be so bad if i didn't live in Cali, where it's always riding weather, but drat! At least i still got my 450 EXC for offroading...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silliest trophy:

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
That's awesome, we were riding out in Plymouth a couple days earlier (Thanksgiving) and I'm sure were on some of the same roads. Some of that stuff is rough for my big heavy TA

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ohhhhhh, trans alp. I want one of those so bad. I just hear they are way underpowered with the state side models. ung.

Anyhow, any takers on this bullshit???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4tQhI5eO0I

I'd be like "lol nope" and do the alt water crossing they had. Payoff bin it at 5:40.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeaaaaahhhh I probably wouldn't give that a poo poo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sure I'd do it...on the trials bike. On a 650 as they mentions, drat. I like the guy at 1:45 or so that just rides across and continues on with no trouble at all.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That thing looks flimsy as gently caress. Props to the guys who went balls out across it and stayed on as it crashed into the bank. gently caress that. That guy that wheelied off it must have poo poo his pants haha.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
If anyone wants to check out ErzBurg 2012. I don't think this counts as files or anything as it's on youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARs-YWK0yWg

p.s. gently caress. That. Noise. I could walk most of that poo poo faster.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Someone give me one good reason why I shouldn't snag an old, well-heeled but in great mechanical shape, KLR650 this weekend for $1500? It's exactly what I want, I think. Not a garage queen, been all over the place and ready for more, comes with some pelican cases, etc. Previous owner seems awesome, and the engine is from a '99. I'll specify these are Chicagoland prices so 1,500 seems pretty fair for a well-maintained bike.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 14, 2012

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Someone give me one good reason why I shouldn't snag an old, well-heeled but in great mechanical shape, KLR650 this weekend for $1500? It's exactly what I want, I think. Not a garage queen, been all over the place and ready for more, comes with some pelican cases, etc. Previous owner seems awesome, and the engine is from a '99. I'll specify these are Chicagoland prices so 1,500 seems pretty fair for a well-maintained bike.

If it comes with the racks and pelicans I think it's a smokin deal if it is exactly what you want. Without those its probably still fair as long as its not a bike you're gonna have to wrench on everytime you ride. I may be biased though I think it's a great platform for gravel roads and light trail use. Needs a milk crate though.
Edit- we do have a klr thread and those guys may know more about it.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 14, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

kenny powerzzz posted:

If it comes with the racks and pelicans I think it's a smokin deal if it is exactly what you want. Without those its probably still fair as long as its not a bike you're gonna have to wrench on everytime you ride. I may be biased though I think it's a great platform for gravel roads and light trail use. Needs a milk crate though.

Yeah it comes as shown, but with 2 pelicans, not just one.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Since everyone seems to be posting pics, here's mine :dance:
My bike (Husqvarna te250) and dad's bike (WR450f), riding some trails at a bike park ~4hours away from where I live in Australia

The bikes looking sad in the shed:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
New Zealand certainly has some awesome places to go dirtbiking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVMi5aU02A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVMi5aU02A

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I brought my wheels to RevDrMosesPLester to switch on the trelliborgs because A) I never change trelliborgs by hand and B) My bike has bib mousse in it and that's a bitch.

The first race of the year is January 20th. The snow run!

Here's a video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdpmeETtXSo

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The wife and I checked out of Christmas day family stuff in favor of playing with the enduros at the Walker Valley ORV area. It was sadly my first time off pavement since June when we explored some USFS roads near Darrington and found the snowline. Had the entire place to ourselves at one point, and it was raining or snowing the entire time - perfect, no dust and a liquid-cooled me.

Reading up on a little technique really paid off for me; weighting the outside peg, particularly. But I still suck at dirt biking in general and maybe my dumpy machine compounds that a bit. Had to turn around on a couple trails. Definitely got my confidence up by the end of the day though, especially after going through the puddles (lakes!) once.

QUESTION: Am I forming a bad habit by standing on the rear brake while descending in gear, or is that legit? My thought is that I can't lock the rear wheel like that without stalling the engine, and it's been pretty handy.

Also, I swear to god everybody born before 1970 had a DT175 back in the day. I can't take that thing out without at least a couple people telling me all about it, it's kind of fun. I've learned that being mostly-together and running with mismatched parts here and there is synonymous with "great shape", for a DT.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

The first race of the year is January 20th. The snow run!
That looks so fun, good luck! You dropped the GasGas right?

Clutchpuck:
Rear brake is legit, but you may want to clutch in to avoid stalling it.

I spent a lot of time at Walker last winter. Searching for your submerged bike in a puddle of iced over water is real fun! It is fun in a "everything is cold and 4 times as hard" sort of way.

So,
My brother bought an '01 yz250f; we hitup the local illegitimate MX track:
album

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 26, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

How did he get so much air off the jump by the power line tower? Is he just hitting it at 50 mph or did somebody make it bigger?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Someone put a huge lip on it, plus camera angle/distortion. I'll get him to upload his gopro footage.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 26, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I haven't been back to the gray area there since a sheriff's deputy kicked me out. I landed myself in the mud after trying that jump last time, my suspension isn't exactly set up for hang time and I bounced right off the bottom of the shocks.

Walker was in decent shape yesterday. Puddles everywhere but no snow on most of it. Bridges were slick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There is one tolerated spot at the powerlines; directly across from the substation. We've been ignored by the cops three times now. The locals back this up. All the other areas look sketchy, with signs and such. Still, Walker is a better area if you're looking to explore fire roads.

Near Granite Falls is a huge fire road area. Just beware of the usual redneck bullshit (drunk rednecks + guns/trucks/meth). I've dual sported the area and it's extensive and remote, it sounds more up your alley than Walker. Unfortunately it's likely snowed in until Spring.