Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
for perspective the next highest thing is a twitter bootstrap plugin for tooltips at 140 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's impressive, but probably not in the right ways.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

MononcQc posted:

i wrote a blog post on simhashing and I think you should read it because simhashes are pretty neat.

tihs might actually be useful for work thanks

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Otto Skorzeny posted:

also, i think it's safe to declare hn dead now that there are long lived front page articles literally on how to masturbate better via bluetooth and arduino

insert whiteknighting here

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i never liked hn much even when it was allegedly not complete poo poo because i don't give a poo poo about startup culture

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cold on a Cob posted:

i never liked hn much even when it was allegedly not complete poo poo because i don't give a poo poo about startup culture

for a while there was kind of neat programming and languages discussion there. for a very short while. every once in a while someone will post about something interesting an someone intelligent will comment. every once in a great, great while. every remotely interesting thing gets ruined immediately everywhere gently caress the internet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i don't even give a poo poo about the discussion i just wish there was a decent source of programming news

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Maybe there just isn't much programming news.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BREAKING NEWS: Software Developer Chooses Sub-Optimal Sorting Algorithm, Kills Seven

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i like reading about people solving problems but its hard to google that and get useful results

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Carthag posted:

i like reading about people solving problems but its hard to google that and get useful results

i like to read about how people find great local results in their area but

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i find a lot of horny locals in my area

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

0xB16B00B5 posted:

i find a lot of horny locals in my area

do you have a wlog (short for web log) ?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i have a plog (short for poo log)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't even give a poo poo about the discussion i just wish there was a decent source of programming news

start a subreddit!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Toady posted:

start a subreddit!

i said programming news not pederasty news

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

Maybe there just isn't much programming news.

just read old ietf mailing list arguments

it's like watching people reinvent things poorly, except with out the re- part.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

also, i think it's safe to declare hn dead now that there are long lived front page articles literally on how to masturbate better via bluetooth and arduino

idk i thought it was cool :I

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
cps: i've been reading about old protocols again, semi triggered by the death of one of the brave fools to standardize imap.

just kinda amusing myself about how long it has taken us to move on from rfc 707, a simple request/response format, to http via a long series of single purpose application protocols (c.f imap vs smtp, and you can ignore the attempts of beep of making everyone happy). only to find ourselves working out how to tunnel simple message passing rpc atop of http.

it is as if we got history in reverse, when we built websockets. it almost explains why people are now rushing to reimplement http over them.

now I find myself wanting to write a network filesystem protocol (thanks plan9!)

:smithicide:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

yaoi prophet posted:

idk i thought it was cool :I

http://www.gamegirladvance.com/2002/10/sex-in-games-rezvibrator.html

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

what if...

what if someone built a network filesystem using a REST backend

and then, oh my god, you would have distributed caching over proxy servers :aaaaa: and optimised locking primitives via node.js

tef! get in on this!

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

but how would you have an efficient sendfile implementation? websockets.

and a mechanism to optimally sync local and remote changes? websockets.

a way of publishing changes to other peers as they are being made? websockets.

defragmenting and undeletion? doesn't even make sense, but websockets.

this is the best idea

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

whenever people post about nerds and sex i cant help but think of esr's sex guide of horrors

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Server push is the most under-adopted technology.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

homercles posted:

what if...

what if someone built a network filesystem using a REST backend

well, most network interfaces do client-server, some form of uniform interface, caching, 9p especially. not so great on stateless tho.

quote:

and then, oh my god, you would have distributed caching over proxy servers :aaaaa: and optimised locking primitives via node.js

tef! get in on this!

i'm totally there bro

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

my scala book arrived in the mail today, going to wrap it with contact (because it's not a hardback sigh) and oh i don't know maybe some hello kitty stickers with a picture of martin on the inside cover with lots of hearts and glitter stuck on and maybe a text bubble coming from him saying "i believe in you homercles" :3:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
experience has shown me that progress in computer science is asteroids at about 12fps written in increasingly abstract languages.

user experience stays constant but developers are allowed to become progressively lazier and stupider.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
What good are computers if they can't make us lazier?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Vector Drawn Spaceships Form a Monoid and I am Smarter Than You

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

rotor posted:

experience has shown me that progress in computer science is asteroids at about 12fps written in increasingly abstract languages.

user experience stays constant but developers are allowed to become progressively lazier and stupider.

thus improving life for the people who matter

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

welp, looks like we've gone as far as we can:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web "languages" arent easier, but they sure are stupider

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

rotor posted:

Which decreases costs since you can grab more and more dumb people to solve your computer problems for you instead of needing brainiacs.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

See?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Vector Drawn Spaceships Form a Monoid and I am Smarter Than You

this but unironically

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think the dumbest web thing i've seen recently is where a website of a big insurance company was using a png as a sprite sheet for images on its page.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

isn't that the thing you do to reduce the number of requests

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yaoi prophet posted:

isn't that the thing you do to reduce the number of requests

yeah and if you use a modern web framework it'll even make it into a sprite sheet and write the css itself

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

i think the dumbest web thing i've seen recently is where a website of a big insurance company was using a png as a sprite sheet for images on its page.

why is this dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rotor posted:

maybe they only made the easy stuff easier while the hard stuff has remained hard