Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

uglynoodles posted:

Escaflowne is the anime I really liked and as in typical teenage girl fashion I was in love with one of the characters, but I didn't believe he was real.
That character Denise told me was totes in love with me and followed me around 5ever was Dilandau from Escaflowne.

For my birthday in October, La_Fausse_Tortue [Kat] sent me the box set of the series. I immediately thought of this thread. :)

Didn't she try flattering you by claiming her omnipresence didn't extend their and you were it's world's god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

That she did indeed. I guess to this day I'm still the Kurotsubasakami, or the 'black wing god' of Gaea. She did mention something about it on Facebook the other day.
Maybe I should put that in my title next time I update my avatar. I don't know that I really want to do though considering that amazing fanart I got of me as Joker and Denise as Liara.

Back to sketching!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

uglynoodles posted:

Escaflowne is the anime I really liked and as in typical teenage girl fashion I was in love with one of the characters, but I didn't believe he was real.
That character Denise told me was totes in love with me and followed me around 5ever was Dilandau from Escaflowne.

For my birthday in October, La_Fausse_Tortue [Kat] sent me the box set of the series. I immediately thought of this thread. :)

Dilandau was gross, it was all about Allen for me. :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Counts posted:

My four-year-old is currently going through a phase where all of his play revolves around Power Rangers. On more than one occasion he has said he's the Red or White Ranger. After reading this thread my first reaction to his antics isn't amusement, it's concern. "I hope he's not still doing this at 14 and telling people he's headmates with the Dino Zord." It takes a few moments to remind myself that no, he's fine, this is perfectly normal at his age. For now.
Why is your kid pretending to be the Power Rangers from 1993? Do you only allow him to watch 20 year old shows?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why is your kid pretending to be the Power Rangers from 1993? Do you only allow him to watch 20 year old shows?

They ran a remastered version of that one either this year or the year prior, I think alongside a new season.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Mo Tzu posted:

They ran a remastered version of that one either this year or the year prior, I think alongside a new season.

Yeah, that. And all of the old shows (the original Power Rangers, and then all of the various spin-off/continuation shows--there's about a dozen) are all on Netflix Streaming.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I work at a kids' clothing store (so happy I went to grad school! Yay!) and we have loads of Power Rangers stuff. Only in the boys' section, weirdly enough.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Glenda Sat on Sinatras' Lap, Was Probably a Lich

I wonder if she'd given a baby up for adoption at some point. If it was a girl, and Amy Jo Johnson looks anything like either Glenda or the father, and she had really severe, lingering guilt about it, I could see how she might have constructed this "That's my daughter and she's doing GREAT!" little fantasy. :smith:

PiratePing posted:

Up to a certain point I guess. When I got bored I would assign a personality to random objects and act out scenes with them. Classmates with less active imagination definitely thought I was pretty weird for playing with and talking to twigs or erasers. V:shobon:V

All my nail polishes had separate personalities, rivalries, and relationships. I thought I was weird for this, but when I admitted it to my best friend, she said she did the same thing. Then we both laughed in relief/shame and carried on playing Barbie Hooker Patrol.

(This really is what we called it. We were nine or ten years old. We only had one Ken between us, and he came with a gold fishnet shirt and chartreuse Speedo, so we decided he must be gay and therefore he had to be the pimp. Then we would dress him up with a hat to disguise his identity when we wanted him to be a john. Gymnast Barbie brought in the most "money" because she was so flexible. We also had one Barbie with a missing leg and would advertise her to the johns as "She can't run away! Half price for half a lady!" I don't think we were very popular with the other kids.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bringmyfishback posted:

(I don't think we were very popular with the other kids.)
I should not be laughing at this.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Colon V posted:

I should not be laughing at this.

Why not? Barbie Hooker Patrol is probably the best, most hilarious way of playing with those things I've ever heard. Ever.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Dis posted:

Why not? Barbie Hooker Patrol is probably the best, most hilarious way of playing with those things I've ever heard. Ever.

We had a lot of good games:

1. "Lemmings," a game in which one Barbie would climb up the cliff (dresser) and hurl herself into the abyss (the wastebasket), all the while spouting sad and dramatic prose. Eventually, Ken (in his straight incarnation, which was Ken wearing a construction paper hat and a sort of Ancient Israelite tunic- we didn't want to buy boy clothes because they were boring) and Gymnast Barbie, who I believe was named Stephanie, threw themselves off together because they were married. Then Skipper and the three babies you get when you buy Babysitter Skipper all cried, because they were alone without any adults and would probably die.

2. "The Olympics," wherein we chucked Barbies into the air and then gave them votes out of ten for their mid-air gracefulness and subsequent landing pose. Gymnast Barbie won most of these, as you might imagine. This was the most thrilling and dangerous game of all because if the Barbies landed the wrong way, their necks would crack and their heads would fall off. You could stick the head back on, but they couldn't move it and they would get weird, squished faces. Then they usually got relegated to the bottom of the Barbie Bin and were only used for things like witch sacrifices or to play dead bodies. The ugly ones also got thrown off the cliff during Lemmings first and got the most boring, least flowery death speeches.

3. "Beauty Pageant." Each Barbie would dress up in first every day clothes, then walk down the runway to the sound of their own little biography ("This is Contestant Number Four, Melody! She has blue and green and purple eyes and blonde hair! She is a veterinarian because Brittany left her here last week and I don't know what kind of Barbie she's supposed to be!") Then they'd reappear in bathing suits, which they had to exchange with one another due to lack of swimwear, and hang out backstage butt-naked with other naked ladies. The final category was formalwear. Gymnast Barbie always got the very fancy white satin wedding dress. She also usually won. The winners would be crowned with my mother's rings, and then all the losers would kick the poo poo out of the winner. I think Ken usually broke it up, and then he and Gymnast Barbie would smoosh each others faces together, then roll around on top of each other in a fit of sexual celebration.

4. "Cocoa and Nadia." For some reason, when I was about nine years old, I told a story about two models named Cocoa (she was black, so I feel sort of odd about what I was thinking there) and Nadia, who was blonde and secretly an evil princess from some kind of demonic underworld. I described many gruesome things happening to the resilient Cocoa, who followed Nadia down there one night after curiosity struck her and was subjected to lots of terrible things, although the only detail I remember is that at one point her hands and feet rotted off, then grew back. I think my mom was reading me a lot of Egyptian mythology at this point. In any case, the game translated to Barbies and we often reenacted the terrible underworldly trials the two girls went through.

Gymnast Barbie was THE BEST.

I eventually buried her in the river after all her limbs and head fell off.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jesus Christ.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

Barbie dramas and tales

Holy poo poo. I was beginning to think my elementary best friend and I were the only crazy Barbie torture/drama storytellers. I really appreciate the fact you've shared these stories, because I feel entirely less alone. How the hell did I grow up into a mostly functional adult? :iiam:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, that was awesome up until the last line when you suddenly became terrifying.

And I thought I was weird for throwing my one and only Ken out of a window after pulling off his limbs, for the crime of being a boring dumb boy in a girl's doll collection.

Okay maybe that was still weird.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Corridor posted:

Yeah, that was awesome up until the last line when you suddenly became terrifying.

And I thought I was weird for throwing my one and only Ken out of a window after pulling off his limbs, for the crime of being a boring dumb boy in a girl's doll collection.

Okay maybe that was still weird.

Hey, I wrote her a nice send-off poem. I picked flowers. She was just super-busted and I couldn't find a shovel to bury her with.

...that last sentence sounded worse.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My neighbor and I also had a favorite spot in the creek to line up the Barbie's heads on sticks.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god, I just remembered that when I was like 9 or so, my best friend and I would make loving weird sex slave harems out of our barbies from time to time, with some random ugly doll as the 'owner'. My friend was almost certainly molested, so in this context it's all kinds of messed up.

:smith:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is now a Barbie abuse thread. Mods please change the title, TIA.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

Hey, I wrote her a nice send-off poem. I picked flowers. She was just super-busted and I couldn't find a shovel to bury her with.

...that last sentence sounded worse.

How many women are buried in your back yard right now?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Freudian posted:

This is now a Barbie abuse thread. Mods please change the title, TIA.

Ha, these stories have brought back memories of how my sister and I used to pull the heads off (my nan's) Sindy dolls, tie their hair to handkerchiefs and throw them around the garden, like disembodied paratroopers.

They used to end up over the neighbour's fence so often, I can only imagine what heathens they thought they were bringing up next door.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

peanut posted:

My neighbor and I also had a favorite spot in the creek to line up the Barbie's heads on sticks.

My college roommate (who is the one I posted about recently in the PYF Awful Roommates thread) often put her least favourite Barbie's head on a pencil and stuck it outside her door, to warn the other dolls and Barbies to behave.

Also- this is apocryphal, a story that she and her mother claimed was real but they're, you know, nuts- she once was playing with all her dolls except one, and when her mother asked her why Jamie (the doll) was alone in the corner, my roommate yelled, "SHE DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS!"

Sorry to derail the thread. Ummmm....on topic, on topic, let me see...I have three friends who all met each other by writing Arashi slash fiction online. Two of them did it because they have literally no interest in dating, only hairless Japanese pop stars.

EDIT:

get this tattooed

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Bible posted:

How many women are buried in your back yard right now?

They're all in the river because she can never find a shovel when she needs one.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Apocalypse Now Barbies are the BEST Barbies.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

bringmyfishback posted:

We only had one Ken between us, and he came with a gold fishnet shirt and chartreuse Speedo, so we decided he must be gay and therefore he had to be the pimp. Then we would dress him up with a hat to disguise his identity when we wanted him to be a john. Gymnast Barbie brought in the most "money" because she was so flexible. We also had one Barbie with a missing leg and would advertise her to the johns as "She can't run away! Half price for half a lady!" I don't think we were very popular with the other kids.)

Motherfucker, my best friend had that exact same Ken doll, and we did the exact same thing with him, except he and the Aladdin doll she had were a gay married couple. She also had a Power Rangers doll whose legs constantly popped off, and so we pretended the legs were prosthetic, and most of her life angst came from being disabled and from losing her prostheses at inopportune times.

Did you climb up the bunk bed and lay the Barbies on the ceiling fan and then turn it on at a slow speed to see where they fell and landed? 'cos we did that, too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Back in the day, when I was a wee tyke, we still had the classic, giant, nappy headed GI Joes.

So, as wear and tear kicked in, I had a brilliant idea.

Keep the broken ones so we could have injuries.

"I'll stop the bad guys... Just walk over here and GAAAAAAH! Land mine!"

(quickly swaps in a legless Joe...)

"Oh God, it hurts!"

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

Sorry to derail the thread.

I'm going to say you're still well within acceptable topic range. You need to come up with something to top the paratrooper heads now, anyway.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm pretty sure you were weird if you didn't play hosed up poo poo with your toys. We used to take my stuffed dalmatians (from 101 Dalmatians you see), tie a jump rope around them, and have them bungee jump from the trees. It took my mother forever to figure out why we were lynching stuffed dogs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This latest thread quasi-derail makes me feel better about the time my best friend and I began a mass beautification program of my My Little Ponies, using Tinkerbell peel-off nail polish, which of course didn't peel off of plastic. We meant well, dammit. We meant well.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Antivehicular posted:

This latest thread quasi-derail makes me feel better about the time my best friend and I began a mass beautification program of my My Little Ponies, using Tinkerbell peel-off nail polish, which of course didn't peel off of plastic. We meant well, dammit. We meant well.

At least you didn't use nail polish to pretend your Barbie had been repairing her car (and was covered in the blue sparkly oil that must emanate from within), and then as you used nail polish remover to take the "oil" off, removed her eyes and lips entirely :silent:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

bringmyfishback posted:

Barbie Hooker Patrol.

You've reminded me of the delightful games my sister and I used to play - the main ones I remember are 'Posh to Slags' and 'Slags With Kids'.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I had a vintage Barbie and Ken; she with her ginger perm and he with his plastic hair. They ran an extensive sex dungeon containing all my other barbies, who could only escape by passing messages to birds through the bars in their windows (I built the dungeon out of three-ring binders). The birds delivered the messages to their allies, the FIERCE WARRIOR ANIMALS I believed my Beanie Babies to be, who would then try to free the poor trapped prisoners.

Half the time the whole thing was a ruse and a double-cross anyway and all the barbies turned out to be vampires :drac:

The storyline for my Lego people was a lot more cannibal-centric but basically the same.

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time
I don't know anyone who didn't play Hooker Barbies as a kid. Our pimp was my sister's Ken-sized Ruud Gullit doll, from back when he used to play for Chelsea.

We also used to play post-apocalyptic Barbies, which is when they all lived in a bunker underground and all their clothes and high heels were doled out by the state, so they went around wearing mismatched outfits. They all had to obey the state governor, a brunette Sindy who employed Ruud Gullit and Action Man as her henchmen. Dissidents were sent out into the nuclear wasteland to die. :stare:

Rondette posted:

Ha, these stories have brought back memories of how my sister and I used to pull the heads off (my nan's) Sindy dolls, tie their hair to handkerchiefs and throw them around the garden, like disembodied paratroopers.

They used to end up over the neighbour's fence so often, I can only imagine what heathens they thought they were bringing up next door.

This reminds me of that Junji Ito story with the floating heads.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't remember my childhood playing habits, hell I can't remember high school all that well, so I can't chime in with whatever hosed up things I did with my toys. I can say that this last page had me cackling like a maniac.

bringmyfishback posted:

I eventually buried her in the river after all her limbs and head fell off.
Priceless

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Party Spock posted:

This reminds me of that Junji Ito story with the floating heads.

Is this one translated? I haven't been keeping up...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Corridor posted:

Is this one translated? I haven't been keeping up...

It's in Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection vol. 4 , the first Story of the Batch is "The Face Burglar", which appears to at least be scanlated if thats what you mean. No idea on your local publications, of course.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Y'know, I think I can actually tell you what happens when people in the same vein as Denise actually go out with someone. I can tell you, because I was the dumb, tweenage moron all those years ago that kind of crazy girl latched onto. :toot:

For the sake of privacy I won't go into detail (not that any of you will find her or bother to) but this was a girl who wasn't quite denise crazy, but she was all manner of hosed up. She came from a burmese family and was the youngest of three, her older siblings being brothers. This meant she was basically lower than the dog on the pecking order, but it didn't mean her poor father wasn't in the exact same situation. Now, this chick was pretty crazy, but she showered, she had (a few) friends and went outside maybe once a week. She was incredibly into manga and all that, and despite growing up in something like the fourth most diverse city on earth, the closest thing to anime I'd watched was saturday morning cartoons on local TV which included Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon. Needless to say, the dumb white american oaf that I am had no clue what "Kawaii Desu DESSSSSSS" meant until I was about fifteen or so. Now, I actually thought we had a decent thing going, until the second month in (at that point a record for me) when she decided very suddenly she was very unhappy. Not long after, we split. It was super dramatic (at least she tried to make it).

I found out a month after I broke up with her that her last boyfriend, an arrogant emo dick who liked to brag about how much he cut himself had raped her. I honestly didn't know if she was telling the truth or just trying to get attention. :shrug: Needless to say, dumb tween in middle school, I avoided that subject like the loving plague. Regardless it wasn't a happy breakup. Now here's the kicker, she didn't know a lot of people, and she tended to stick to her groups. This guy was pretty much THE broody anime character the silly loli girls go nuts for, brightly dyed hair and everything. Turns out, she was disappointed that I wasn't as "cute acting" as the guy who supposedly raped her. I don't know what kind of crazy it takes to dump ANYONE, regardless of how they acted (and granted I was a total jerk back then but not to her) because they didn't get the anime references or the "Why don't you kiss me every time you look at me because that's how LOVE WORKS"

I guess my point is, even if she ever had a relationship with a normal human being, it wouldn't end well.
Sephiroth always wins. :emo:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I guess my point is, even if she ever had a relationship with a normal human being, it wouldn't end well.
Sephiroth always wins. :emo:

Just ask Summoner Yuna's real-life husband.

EDIT: Or this chick's. Yikes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What a thread! When I was in some small Malaysian town I found this store and just could not stop laughing, it was kind of embarrassing too!

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Bean posted:

I'm pretty sure you were weird if you didn't play hosed up poo poo with your toys. We used to take my stuffed dalmatians (from 101 Dalmatians you see), tie a jump rope around them, and have them bungee jump from the trees. It took my mother forever to figure out why we were lynching stuffed dogs.

I used to get those rubber wrist bangles that were hot poo poo in the 90's or whatever (you know what I mean, they came in a million colours and you collected them and so on) and connect them all into one long rope, loop the end one around a stuffed animal's head and throw them out of my bedroom window and then reel them back in repeatedly. Then my mum went mental because I was apparently damaging the brickwork on the front of the house :haw:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I sincerely thought that if you put Pokemon marbles in a toy poke ball with Digimon marbles they'd kill each over. I think it's because I shook the ball too hard and smashed some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Uggggh loving BJDs people. Remember how Denise refused to give the OP somewhere to crash because she wanted to get a designer ball-jointed doll? Remember how we discussed how loving insane doll owners are?

Well, I'm learning how to make art dolls with ball joints (because it's fun and because they go for shitloads), and I'm getting the mechanics of the joints worked out, like what type to use, how many, where to put them, how to string them once they're done, etc.

There's a lot of useful info on the net by various craftspeople, but every now and then I'll stumble across a consumer-made BJD tutorial video. These are typically for the people who buy the dolls and want to paint them, or apply their own wigs or eyelashes, re-string them, etc. I should have a loving checklist handy for the bullshit contained in these vids:

Exhaustive list of designer parts "This is a Dollzone Fei with a custom face up from the Junly Spot store. His eyes are Soom Luciferin and his wig is a Monique Johnny."

Recommendations for expensive equipment that they just toss out there for everyone to buy ie. special hooks, brushes, kits etc. I'm not even talking about the bits of the actual doll like paint or eyes and poo poo, I'm talking about stuff they use to polish or string them or hold bits of them in place and so on. For the record, you could seriously do the exact same poo poo with bits of cheap wire or glue or common sense.

Camera pans away from the dollmaking equipment to show off anime collections or limited edition loli mousepads or whatever.

Pocky packaging nonchalantly placed in shot.

Hands and arms of the doll owner are fat.

• Locked thread