Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
And the Cornell site gives you the full text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yes we are supposed to read your mind, transform into librarians, and provide you with exactly what you want because you can't be assed to do any of your own research.

You say you're at school. Do you have librarians? That's kinda their job. Ask them for things like Heinonline, Westlaw, LexisNexis, Statutes at Large, and poo poo like that. Voila. I've already put in about 18 times as much effort as you have into doing your research.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

WaveLength posted:

And the Cornell site gives you the full text.

Right. The full text that has been amended a whole lot of times since 1936. Figuring out which of the articles are from the period after the original drafting is seemingly impossible. I am writing a paper on the original legislation and the period immediately following said legislation and need only the bill that was passed in 1936. I should have clarified but there is really no need for the others to get all goony about it.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Yes we are supposed to read your mind, transform into librarians, and provide you with exactly what you want because you can't be assed to do any of your own research.

You say you're at school. Do you have librarians? That's kinda their job. Ask them for things like Heinonline, Westlaw, LexisNexis, Statutes at Large, and poo poo like that. Voila. I've already put in about 18 times as much effort as you have into doing your research.

I have actually spoken to them, and they haven't been helpful. I've searched all of my school's (Loyola University of Chicago) databases and come up with nothing. I figured maybe one of you all had stumbled upon this document at some point in your studies (assuming any of you are looking to go into compliance) and figured I would ask. There isn't really any good reason to be e-aggressive.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

fuzzy fluffystuff posted:

I should have clarified but there is really no need for the others to get all goony about it.

The irony.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

Walamor posted:

The irony.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Right. The full text that has been amended a whole lot of times since 1936. Figuring out which of the articles are from the period after the original drafting is seemingly impossible. I am writing a paper on the original legislation and the period immediately following said legislation and need only the bill that was passed in 1936. I should have clarified but there is really no need for the others to get all goony about it.

Except that when people say "The Act of 1841" or whatever, they typically mean the current version, operating after amendments. While it's not the most precise language, it is how most people (particularly people in legal fields...i.e. people in this thread) use those terms.

Also, get off your high horse. We got e-self-righteous only after you started on the e-rear end in a top hat train.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You go to ASU dude I don't even care if I get banned for saying good luck finding a job you dumb sack of poo poo

You're claiming you go to the "Loyola University of Chicago" and you're making fun of people about their school?

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

Arcturas posted:

You're claiming you go to the "Loyola University of Chicago" and you're making fun of people about their school?

Augh you caught it. Anyway, I am to assume no one here can direct me to the original bill. Thanks!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Augh you caught it. Anyway, I am to assume no one here can direct me to the original bill. Thanks!

You assume wrong. I already did. Alternatively, ILL that poo poo. If you have a law school within about 50 miles, go there. Ask them for help. I can think of at least three books off the top of my head that'd have the original bill in it. And no, I'm not going to tell you what they are, because I'm a jerk. A huge raging rear end in a top hat.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

[help me]
[No, really, gently caress you for helping me]

Take it easy, law thread, he's majoring in the economics of PUA. He's just throwing you some negs to make you really want to research for for him.

(On the bright side, rest assured he must believe you all to be SB (smart body) 8s and 9s since he's negging on you this hard)

There isn't really any good reason to be e-aggressive.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Walamor posted:

The irony.
Indeed.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Amazing. I hope you understand how dumb it is that if you were correct that I was going to ASU, I would probably be going to their law school, as this is the law school/law thread. ASU law is the 26th best law school in the country and is a desirable school to go to.

In reality, I went to ASU, graduated and have had continuous and good employment for the past 5 years, and am now in law school.

Get your condescending rear end out of this thread and grow up.

blow job lady
Dec 5, 2010

Arcturas posted:

You assume wrong. I already did. Alternatively, ILL that poo poo. If you have a law school within about 50 miles, go there. Ask them for help. I can think of at least three books off the top of my head that'd have the original bill in it. And no, I'm not going to tell you what they are, because I'm a jerk. A huge raging rear end in a top hat.

There are several comprehensive books on futures regulation. I have them all. None have the full bill, none even quote large sections of it. Again, thanks.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

There are several comprehensive books on futures regulation. I have them all. None have the full bill, none even quote large sections of it. Again, thanks.

You're welcome!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bwahahahahaha. I don't know poo poo about futures regulation, nor any of the topic-specific books. And you don't know poo poo about legal research. However, I do know where to find your law. So try talking to someone who does, but you might want to leave your ego at the door. Or they'll tell you to gently caress off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arcturas posted:

As another Loyola alum, you shouldn't talk trash to anyone else's school, even if they went to Cooley. Seriously.

edit-to be clear I wanted to mock the LUC guy

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I have actually spoken to them, and they haven't been helpful. I've searched all of my school's (Loyola University of Chicago) databases and come up with nothing. I figured maybe one of you all had stumbled upon this document at some point in your studies (assuming any of you are looking to go into compliance) and figured I would ask. There isn't really any good reason to be e-aggressive.
Sorry man, I don't know why all these guys are being such jerks. It's such a reasonable question. I can get on Westlaw and pull the full legislative history and poo poo for you if you want, just post your e-mail address

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

As another Loyola alum, you shouldn't talk trash to anyone else's school, even if they went to Cooley. Seriously.

Oh, I'm well aware of pots, kettles, and the color black. But at least you call it "Loyola," not "Loyola University of Chicago," which is far less pretentious, and less likely to get you mocked in an e-peen waving fight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arcturas posted:

Oh, I'm well aware of pots, kettles, and the color black. But at least you call it "Loyola," not "Loyola University of Chicago," which is far less pretentious, and less likely to get you mocked in an e-peen waving fight.

Yeah I meant to mock him (for making fun of another person's school while going to a crummy one) not you so whatever :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Isn't the latter description technically more accurate since there's four Loyola Universities in the US?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Yup, surely the original version of the CEA isn't located anywhere. It's not a very important thing and nobody pays attention to it.

Anyone with Lexis or Westlaw access should be able to pull it up in 30 seconds. God, I hope you're an undergrad.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hey lawyers stop getting mad. Geez, why you gotta be so argumentative? :v:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
UNITED STATES STATUTES AT LARGE
74TH CONGRESS - 2ND SESSION
Convening January 3, 1936

An Act

To amend the Grain Futures Act to prevent and remove obstructions and burdens upon interstate commerce in grains and other commodities by regulating transactions therein on commodity futures exchanges, to limit or abolish short selling, to curb manipulation, and for other purposes.

June 15, 1936

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I have a powerpoint to give tomorrow, could you guys find me a link to the original text of the criminal law in the 1980s? Seriously replies from ivy grads only, please.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Guys, guys, guys, please stop arguing, I have a serious question. I'm writing a brief involving a complex legal issue. Can someone link me to the case with the answers and also shepardise that poo poo or I'm not interested. Thanks.

Also no TTT responses please.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Agesilaus posted:

Guys, guys, guys, please stop arguing, I have a serious question. I'm writing a brief involving a complex legal issue. Can someone link me to the case with the answers and also shepardise that poo poo or I'm not interested. Thanks.

Would you like an undergrad transcript as well?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Would you like an undergrad transcript as well?

Better safe than sorry.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Agesilaus posted:

Better safe than sorry.

You forgot LSAT requirement. I don't talk to people who got under 178.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I find that google satisfies 100% of my legal research needs. In that if it's not on google, I either make it up or punt. This will clearly never steer me wrong...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

You need some higher standards here, YLS, SLS, or maybe top 5% of Harvard.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

woozle wuzzle posted:

I find that google satisfies 100% of my legal research needs. In that if it's not on google, I either make it up or punt. This will clearly never steer me wrong...
No joke I use google scholar for like 80% of my legal research.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

gvibes posted:

Oh god I thought I was the only one.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

nm posted:

You need some higher standards here, YLS, SLS, or maybe top 5% of Harvard.

Harvard is pretty much the new standard for TTT.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Harvard is pretty much the new standard for TTT.

Well it is third.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
Holy poo poo, I really do miss all the good stuff.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

IrritationX posted:

Holy poo poo, I really do miss all the good stuff.

OH YEAH? <looks around and gives you a sharp shove in the chest> We've had enough of your snark!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

We are a broken and ruined people.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

gvibes posted:

holla

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking for some legal research, no fat chicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Was that kid an undergrad? It's so much funnier if he is.