Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
So, a question. If I decide I don't like my global name, how do I change it in this game? Or is that one of those things that should be obvious but they didn't think to put in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I've been wanting to do the Perfect World offers for some Zen, but it seems every time I give that page a visit every offer to click on is javascript:void(0);. Anyone else having this problem?

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Kelp Plankton posted:

And I hope you like being a tanky DPS character because that's all you'll ever be. I really wish CO had some stronger crowd control stuff, it'd be nice to be able to focus on a support role that's not healing.

Generally, the game doesn't care much about healers either. Partially because everyone is a self-sufficient omnibuild, partially because the game just plain didn't have any difficult content for a long time. The game really wasn't designed for it, and it shows in many ways which I'll refrain from complaining about here. It's only recently with Gravitar and this new vehicle mission that I feel like I'm not wasting my time playing a healer.

Also I tend to avoid adventure packs and such because they either have minigames (repeat the sequence of flashing colors!) or force you to play a character that isn't yours (inmate, giant robot, etc). The former I find annoying, the latter is the last thing I want in a game that's supposedly about character customization.

I was greatly pleased to see that the new mission allows you to just grab a hoverdisk and play it as your regular character rather than a vehicle. Between that, the fact that it's possible to fail, and the fact that it gives healers a purpose, I think it's pretty great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

All the costumes and powers in the world aren't worth dropping any money on unless there's lots of fun stuff to do involving them. The Comic Series/Adventure Packs were good additions and the newer ones like Resistance and Whiteout(when they work) are a lot of fun. Reading dialogue or lore or whatever doesn't enter into it, they have some fun combat encounters, some challenging ones, and some great gimmicks like piloting giant robots or shapeshifting enemies hiding in the environment.

Oh, it doesn't cost me any money. Not anymore.

I don't like gimmick fights. They're usually tedious, like the giant robots in Resistance. It's cool to see once, but then I never want to do it again because it slows everything down.

Yin posted:

I've been wanting to do the Perfect World offers for some Zen, but it seems every time I give that page a visit every offer to click on is java script:void(0);. Anyone else having this problem?

That started happening recently. Nothing Cryptic can do about it, though. They reported it to PWE, so it's up to them.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

Aphrodite posted:

That started happening recently. Nothing Cryptic can do about it, though. They reported it to PWE, so it's up to them.

Haha, when I go to try to send in a trouble ticket about it on their website, I hit a redirect loop.

I got it to work a grand total of once, and thinking it was fixed, I refreshed the page after doing a survey (I didn't get credited for) and it all went away forever, it hasn't worked since.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006

Yin posted:

Haha, when I go to try to send in a trouble ticket about it on their website, I hit a redirect loop.

That's been happening to me ever since the PW switch. Different browsers, different computers, always the same. It must not be happening to everyone though, because I assume that if they suddenly were getting no tickets from anybody they'd realize something was wrong.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...F030dHL0mqF0dNn

Someone take a look at this for me and critique it, please? It feels great, but the all or nothing nature of only really having Cascade for AoE is frustrating when there's adds rushing in constantly. That said, it does crazy damage.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
It looks pretty good to me. You could drop force eruption for thunderstrike, lightning storm or gigabolt for more aoe if that's what you want.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I've mainly just been using Eruption for the 15% damage increase to everything else and breaking holds. I suppose I could forgo my HUEG DAMAG in favor of an easier time AoEing stuff down.

As an aside for a different guy, do Fighting Claws still suck?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
I haven't tried them personally, but as far as I know they still have no aoe to speak of and thus suck, yes.

And speaking of aoe, I really wish there was an ego blade pbaoe. Just because the animation for it with id blades would be sword cyclone since they already used the animation for eye of the storm for frenzy. Of course then they'd have to make an entirely new animation for the ego blade version since single blade lacks a pbaoe to steal the animation from.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Ego Blades does have have a frontal cone/180 PAoE- it's been a while, but I think it's Frenzy.

Unless it's been nerfed into the ground, that power is pretty amazing for destroying anything unfortunate enough to be inside the AoE when you start the maintain.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I like this game

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You'll love it even more: His nemesis is a faithful rendition of Ms. Piggy, if this is the same Kermit.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Which head piece let's you light your head up? I have a concept for a guy and he needs a glowy head.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Cuchulain posted:

Which head piece let's you light your head up? I have a concept for a guy and he needs a glowy head.

I'm pretty sure it's the rock skin option. Max out that glow and watch your head turn into a light bulb.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

BlueDestiny posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the rock skin option. Max out that glow and watch your head turn into a light bulb.

Yes, but is it as good as CoH's light bulb?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

00Kevin posted:

Yes, but is it as good as CoH's light bulb?

CoH had a Darth Vader box? I never saw this part, what the gently caress?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Warmachine posted:

It was part of the same pack that gave you the rocket pack, space bubble helmet, shoulder rings and all that stuff.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Warmachine posted:

One of the many new, awesome costume parts from this year.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I wish CO's costume parts had the detail that some of CoX's. Some are good, but a lot of the older stuff just looks lazy in comparison. I think the only stuff I really miss are proper auras and the customizable bases.

I doubt CO will ever have anything on par with CoX's bases though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Poking my head back into CO because it's time to get my character creation on. What's the best way to level these days? Is it spamming Smash Alerts? Poked around the forums quite a bit but couldn't find anything that wasn't circa 2011.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that doing smash alerts over and over is the way to go, as long as you're not failing them all the time. Be sure you know how each one works; there are ways to accidentally (or intentionally) screw over your team for some of them.

Some people will dislike you for showing up in smashes at level 6, but I would just ignore them.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

Poking my head back into CO because it's time to get my character creation on. What's the best way to level these days? Is it spamming Smash Alerts? Poked around the forums quite a bit but couldn't find anything that wasn't circa 2011.

Get on a goon team for Smashes, complete each of them in less then a minute. Make fat stacks of XP, and if the Nemesis pops, enjoy hitting the Q cap.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I haven't touched Sorcery since around launch back when almost every single power's scaling had to do with specific stats (Hello, Endurance/Recovery based Lightning Form).

Dex and Ego are always clear cut goals for most ranged attackers, and Dex/str or the other way around for Melee. But if I picked up Sorcery (or Infernal Supernatural)... What super stats then? Or is the boost from Presense as primary or secondary not really all that useful to "Must spam hold" Sorcerers and just go Dex/Ego/Rec business as usual?

EDIT: Along those lines, Con Superstat for Regen Users. Primary, secondary, or don't bother?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 25, 2012

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Man, does the Questionite>Zen market ever dip below 190 again? I am seeing some crazy low exchange rates for Dillithium>Zen over in the STO thread, or is that only with new content releases as big as STO's?

EDIT: Ah, and crafting. Is that still used for costume bits and bobbins? What speciality should one shoot for with, say, a support; Mysticism?

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 25, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There is no crafting.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Indeed. The crafting skill improves your chance to succeed when fusing mods together to obtain higher rank mods, and nothing else. The costume pieces and devices that used to be obtained through crafting are now bought with drifter salvage, which at present only comes from lockboxes opened with store bought keys.

In short: Welcome to any PWE game, ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I heard Fighting Claws sucks, can anyone explain further?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I heard Fighting Claws sucks, can anyone explain further?

Unless they dramatically changed it from the last time I played, you have a single good attack (Tiger's Bite?) in the entire line. It's a really good attack, but it's never-the-less the only one worth taking.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a pretty serviceable set, but basically all the other martial arts sets are significantly better and have things it lacks. Single blade does more single-target damage and has some good debuffs, dual blades just shits out AoE damage, and unarmed is just pretty amazing all around after its last big buff.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

General Maximus posted:

Indeed. The crafting skill improves your chance to succeed when fusing mods together to obtain higher rank mods, and nothing else. The costume pieces and devices that used to be obtained through crafting are now bought with drifter salvage, which at present only comes from lockboxes opened with store bought keys.

In short: Welcome to any PWE game, ever.

Can I do anything with all these crafting materials in my bank slots?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Unless they dramatically changed it from the last time I played, you have a single good attack (Tiger's Bite?) in the entire line. It's a really good attack, but it's never-the-less the only one worth taking.

Dragon's Claw, but yeah. It's pretty much the only good attack of the set, and that's only if you're going to be getting critical hits frequently. There's no AoE or any kind of control that's specific to the set.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

randombattle posted:

Can I do anything with all these crafting materials in my bank slots?

Control-rightclick on them to convert them into rank one mods, or vendor them. In general, vendoring them is probably the better option since level 40 content drops rank 3-5 mods.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
On the plus side the hilarious numbers that you get to see when you use Dragon Claw are totally worth it, plus the animation is cool.

How many Claw skills do you have to get before you can snag it and grab other stuff? Can't remember from the time I messed around with it.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I once saw a guy whose 8 stacks of Enrage were never falling off while he had Super Magnifier on. I've since been trying to figure out how. I thought it was Howl at first but after getting it I discovered using Howl causes the magnifier to deactivate, so I'm at a loss. I know not all powers break Magnifier though.

Anyone have any idea how this works? Full permanent enrage sounds pretty drat nice.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

sentrygun posted:

On the plus side the hilarious numbers that you get to see when you use Dragon Claw are totally worth it, plus the animation is cool.

How many Claw skills do you have to get before you can snag it and grab other stuff? Can't remember from the time I messed around with it.

I believe it's around 3 claw attacks or related Martial Arts moves, or simply by virtue of being around level 15ish. Not that hard to get, and is arguably the best Dragon attack available for pure PvE damage.

Seriously, the severity buff that this move gets is insane. I would hate to see how much destruction this move could wreak on single targets on a super-high crit chance build. Since critical chances can get extremely high now (like +50% in some cases easily) that severity bonus can get plenty of time to shine.

Yin posted:

I once saw a guy whose 8 stacks of Enrage were never falling off while he had Super Magnifier on. I've since been trying to figure out how. I thought it was Howl at first but after getting it I discovered using Howl causes the magnifier to deactivate, so I'm at a loss. I know not all powers break Magnifier though.

Anyone have any idea how this works? Full permanent enrage sounds pretty drat nice.

You can activate a magnifier if you use it right after using a combat ability. He might've been using Howl right before enabling and disabling his magnifier to get past its deactivation quality.

Back before it was changed into a form, maintaining 8 stacks of enrage wasn't that out of the ordinary, especially among players with a watchful eye. Short of using Howl or some sort of PBAoE ability that knocks objects, I can't think of a single way to reliably and independently keep enrage running at high stacks.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

quote:

You can activate a magnifier if you use it right after using a combat ability. He might've been using Howl right before enabling and disabling his magnifier to get past its deactivation quality.

Back before it was changed into a form, maintaining 8 stacks of enrage wasn't that out of the ordinary, especially among players with a watchful eye. Short of using Howl or some sort of PBAoE ability that knocks objects, I can't think of a single way to reliably and independently keep enrage running at high stacks.

I was staring at the enrage duration. It suddenly popped up back to full duration all of a sudden and I saw some glows on him but he didn't use any ability that broke the magnifier, so I'm at a complete loss.

All I can think of is it maybe somehow being possible to get Aggressor at such a low cooldown it's enough to sustain enrage, but I don't know if it's even possible.

Yin fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 27, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yin posted:

I was staring at the enrage duration. It suddenly popped up back to full duration all of a sudden and I saw some glows on him but he didn't use any ability that broke the magnifier, so I'm at a complete loss.

All I can think of is it maybe somehow being possible to get Aggressor at such a low cooldown it's enough to sustain enrage, but I don't know if it's even possible.

Int Super stat, CDR gear, and Offensive Expertise twice? Maybe?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I logged in and so many changes.. do I go on my 'main' and try to spec into good powers (what are the good powers), do I go on a low level to re-learn stuff, do I just make a new character??!!! ahhhhh :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Time to give this one another go for my superhero fix. How does electricity stack up these days? Is Gigabolt still ridiculous? How are the wind and earth power sets? Did gadgetry finally get enough buffs to stand on its own as a set?

I'm guessing that archery is still terrible and that power armor still has its energy/slot management issues.