Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

I didn't even need the code, it was displaying like that to begin with. Making it cheaper than the 23 by default for some reason. Wacky!

Can you provide the link? I don't see it anywhere.

EDIT: I see it. drat I wonder why the Dell Canada has a sale on the U2412 while Dell USA has a sale on the U2312

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

teagone posted:

What are you guys' thoughts on this IPS display from AOC? http://www.anandtech.com/show/6468/aocs-i2367fh-thin-virtually-borderless-and-ips

It's on Amazon for $189. I love the look of it, but I'm wondering if it'd be better just to get the Asus IPS display for around the same price that everyone mostly has high praise for.

That AOC display is from AOC (they have a reputation for pretty much dumping things on the market) and they apparently lied about the viewing size (read your article again). I wouldn't trust it until TFTcentral had its way with it - I know that will never happen, and that paints me as a bit irrational, but so be it.

Also if you know anything about the U2412M, you'd know that 6-bit isn't the dealbreaker it used to be.

Yeah I'd just go with the Asus or the Dell.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I don't think the 6-bit IPS is going to short any desktop user on color depth who isn't a professional-grade artist or publisher, because really - who else needs to be that anal about their rainbow spectrum? The U2412m appeals to me from the tftcentral review because it was found to have some of the best blacks and lowest input lag in the entire class, not to mention possessing one of the greatest strengths of IPS design (viewing angles).

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Can you provide the link? I don't see it anywhere.

EDIT: I see it. drat I wonder why the Dell Canada has a sale on the U2412 while Dell USA has a sale on the U2312
Says it's their "Monitor Sale of the Week" so probably just a meaningless arbitrary distinction between the national sites. Either way, it makes me glad I missed ordering one for $269 a week or two ago in this thread. I don't forsee the price dropping below this point for quite some time without, say, an actual coupon from Dell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That AOC display is from AOC (they have a reputation for pretty much dumping things on the market) and they apparently lied about the viewing size (read your article again). I wouldn't trust it until TFTcentral had its way with it - I know that will never happen, and that paints me as a bit irrational, but so be it.

Also if you know anything about the U2412M, you'd know that 6-bit isn't the dealbreaker it used to be.

Yeah I'd just go with the Asus or the Dell.

Ok, good to know thanks. That said, Newegg does have this 23" Asus IPS display open box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288R

Anyone have experience ordering open box items from Newegg?

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

dell.com use this code 8PQWRM3N6QDF2D and get 100 bucks off it.

Awesome, thanks so much!

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Just picked up two 2412's from amazon for $279 each. These will be my first IPS panels. My buddy has a 2400 that I've always been really impressed with and I'm just tired of the lovely color reproduction and viewing angles on the cheap TN panels I've been using. Really excited!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think the 6-bit IPS is going to short any desktop user on color depth who isn't a professional-grade artist or publisher, because really - who else needs to be that anal about their rainbow spectrum?

The rainbow spectrum isn't the issue since 6-bits should be more than enough to cover most of the tiny little sRGB spectrum. Luminance banding is. You're right - it's 100% irrelevant when watching movies or playing games (I can't notice and color IS my specialization) but when specifically working with colors it's an absolute nightmare.

Even if the FRC is good as soon as you do some calibration the internal processing causes a shitload of information loss which simply have no work around. Specially in the dark tones.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Elentor posted:

The rainbow spectrum isn't the issue since 6-bits should be more than enough to cover most of the tiny little sRGB spectrum. Luminance banding is. You're right - it's 100% irrelevant when watching movies or playing games (I can't notice and color IS my specialization) but when specifically working with colors it's an absolute nightmare.

Even if the FRC is good as soon as you do some calibration the internal processing causes a shitload of information loss which simply have no work around. Specially in the dark tones.
That's what I expected. What is the deleterious effect of luminance banding mostly, chunky gradients where they need to blend with perfect accuracy? How does calibrating for accuracy cause more information loss than standard? How do negative effects manifest in darker tones?

I'm not going to have a problem with any of this for my purposes, I'm simply legitimately interested.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I recently bought the Asus VW246H. The first thing I noticed was back-light bleeding across the very top and very bottom of the screen. Very noticeable and very distracting. Did I get a defective monitor or is this common? I'll probably be returning it. Is there a certain type of panel I should be looking at to avoid this issue?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's what I expected. What is the deleterious effect of luminance banding mostly, chunky gradients where they need to blend with perfect accuracy? How does calibrating for accuracy cause more information loss than standard? How do negative effects manifest in darker tones?

I'm not going to have a problem with any of this for my purposes, I'm simply legitimately interested.

Huh, it's the first time I see someone curious about that. I don't think even my students cared for that much.

Anyway, here's the :words::

It's very unlikely you'll be able to calibrate your monitor directly on a hardware level. If the monitor doesn't have a good LUT there'll be multiple pixel colors rounding up or down to the same value. Sometimes more. These occur outside the whole FRC thing, so if you're sensitive to temporal FRC that's an issue on top of it. FRC is not a problem per se when well-implemented.

And yes, luminance banding occurs as chunky gradients. It's really annoying, for example, when designing game alpha sprites with gradients. If they ever stack with each other for some reason you'll get gigantic blocks of color instead of a gradient. Do you have additive particles? That 0+0 becomes 0, the 1+1 becomes 2, the 2+2 becomes 4, 3+3 becomes 6. Suddenly you start having half the information because we're dealing with hard integers, and they represent big steps.

When you do a lot of work in grayscale these dark colors become somewhat important. Consider how grayscale only has 8 bits of accurate representation (a little over 9 with dithering). You know how people like to throw around arbitrary numbers like "the human eye can't distinguish any more than 10 million colors"?

Most of these assumptions date all the way back to a 50's book. A great, fantastic book, with some few outdated information. The thing about these 10 million colors is out of place, because the entire book is filled with mathematics, experiments, evidence, and that number is just thrown around. Back in college we argued about what it meant since people make serious research up to this day around these values treating them like they're some sort of gospel.

These 10 million colors could refer to chromacity, but most people assume they refer to our absolute perception of color. Here's the thing - the human eye is really good at adapting, so while it is that if you show a screen with all colors of the spectrum 10m would be a reasonable cap, that perception is wildly stretched because of our capacity to adapt to light intensity. Some researches estimate that we have the capacity to identify up to 1700 luminance levels being displayed simultaneously (if the light is too intense, the darker areas will become pure black). That's a little short of 2^11. Without dithering, we're talking about a 1080p screen showing a pure black-to-white gradient filling almost all of the horizontal space with no repeating pixels.

Backwards maths then indicate we can identify around 6000 chromas. Personally, I think that's bullcrap, but what this means is that while in theory a 24-bits total HSL system could faithfully represent all our static visual range, a 24-bits RGB system cannot. The theory behind that (that we need more bits for luminance than chromacity) is what gave us many functional video and image compression systems, by the way.

This is also why DCR exists, in theory (since in practice it sucks). When you're in pitch black and your eye adapts perfectly to the dark and you're facing a monitor with a decent contrast ratio, suddenly a gradient from 0,0,0 to 24,24,24 is trying to cover most of the 1700 luminance steps - except it doesn't. While that's an extreme and unrealistic situation, you can see how 256 undithered steps can be less than ideal. In theory, you'd need much more than 1700 to cover all the dynamic range possibilities, hence why HDR (64-96 bit images) exists at all.

In pratice, all of this means one thing when developing: Lots of banding, a crapload more banding, terrible ways to deal with dark tones since they're being stretched to accommodate the new gamma, and if you have bad FRC you also get to have some banding on a macro scale (from 4 to 4 steps). With a 6-bit processing, any calibration reduces your precision in the dark tones, so all of a sudden the double of 0,1,2,3 might become 0,2,2,6. With bad TN panels, that's not even a hyperbole.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is the dell deal gone? The coupon doesn't seem to do anything anymore, and the price is back up to 370 dollars.

Edit: I'm also surprised more people in this thread don't talk about the Hazro HZ27WC. I grabbed one for myself last year for around 400 dollars on sale, and it's been amazing. TFTcentral claims its about the same screen quality as the Apple/Dell 27inch displays, for literally less than half the price.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 25, 2012

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Elentor posted:

Huh, it's the first time I see someone curious about that. I don't think even my students cared for that much.

Anyway, here's the :words::
drat, that's complicated. I think I sort of get it, in that the basic color spectrum is representable by standard panels but what they're unable to reproduce effectively without distortion or inaccuracy are all those colors at all possible brightness levels within its range. Transparent gradients having to "round down" to the extent layering them then results in what amounts to a child mixing pixel colors like fingerpaint is quite drastic, in what medium do you usually see that display error occur when it does?

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Megasabin posted:

Is the dell deal gone? The coupon doesn't seem to do anything anymore, and the price is back up to 370 dollars.

Edit: I'm also surprised more people in this thread don't talk about the Hazro HZ27WC. I grabbed one for myself last year for around 400 dollars on sale, and it's been amazing. TFTcentral claims its about the same screen quality as the Apple/Dell 27inch displays, for literally less than half the price.

The dell code was for the U2312

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
I'm looking into getting a 27 inch dell and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2711 and 2713. The 2711 is actually on sale right now in canada for 680 and that seems like a great deal. Any opinions?

Edit: Is the anti-glare coating on it that bad?

DeusVult fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 26, 2012

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm looking for a new gaming monitor. Around 26"/27" preferably, and to keep things the same as how I'm used to, 1920x1080 (unless there is some huge benefit to 1920x1200 that I'm missing for gaming) and running at 120hz.

I want to use it a lot for Blu-rays and gaming, hooking up my computer (Games / Bluray) and my Xbox, both by HDMI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DeusVult posted:

I'm looking into getting a 27 inch dell and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2711 and 2713. The 2711 is actually on sale right now in canada for 680 and that seems like a great deal. Any opinions?

Edit: Is the anti-glare coating on it that bad?

There's not a huge amount to choose between them, but the 2711 is the better monitor, same with 2410 vs 2412, the older is better due to corner cutting to provide a more attractive price point.

As for the AG coating, in my opinion you have to be a real whiner to care about it. I think it's great at keeping glare to an absolute minimum. (I don't have U2711, only a U2410 and a 2007WFP).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2012

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
I have the 2410 myself as well, and it's great. But from what I read the ag coating on the 2711 is much different and worse than the one on the 2410 and 3011. Might have to just grab and it see for myself.

Thinker
Oct 6, 2003
Your chidren have touched me in so many ways and I know I touched them all as well!
Thinking of picking up this 27" ViewSonic VX2770Smh for $249 right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=AFC-C8Junction

Anyone know anything about this? Might go with the 2412M for $279 from amazon, just to be safe as an alternative.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Thinker posted:

Thinking of picking up this 27" ViewSonic VX2770Smh for $249 right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=AFC-C8Junction

Anyone know anything about this? Might go with the 2412M for $279 from amazon, just to be safe as an alternative.

1080p at 27" is going to look noticeably worse than at 24". I would try to find a 1080p 27" and see if you like it before pulling the trigger.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caiman posted:

I recently bought the Asus VW246H. The first thing I noticed was back-light bleeding across the very top and very bottom of the screen. Very noticeable and very distracting. Did I get a defective monitor or is this common? I'll probably be returning it. Is there a certain type of panel I should be looking at to avoid this issue?

I'll reply to my own post. Has anyone tried the Asus PB238Q? Might it be a good candidate to solve my problem? A couple reviews mention no backlight bleeding.

EDIT: Here's another one with a no-backlight bleed reputation. Asus VE258Q. Any thoughts on this one?

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 26, 2012

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
I'm thinking about buying this Asus VS239H-P 23" IPS from TigerDirect. It seems like a steal for $149 with free shipping. Any thoughts?

DimpledChad fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 26, 2012

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

I'm tempted to get myself a new monitor after 6 years, but only if I can find one that isn't black. I like this one, but it comes with a hefty price.

Any recommendations for ~24", IPS panel, color white or grey?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
To the people who ordered from Dell, check your orders, mine was cancelled, I can order it again, for like $40 more now.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

InterceptorV8 posted:

To the people who ordered from Dell, check your orders, mine was cancelled, I can order it again, for like $40 more now.
That's pretty lovely, my order number is telling me mine has already begun (slow) shipping.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

That's pretty lovely, my order number is telling me mine has already begun (slow) shipping.

Yeah, I don't want to say "bait and switch" but it was a package deal, that they are still selling for same price less a deep discount. What's really funny is I can buy the monitor for even less now out of the package deal.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I'm starting to build a gaming PC (with some occasional movie-watching, internet, homework etc. use). I've got an AMD HD 7850 GPU, will that pair well with this Dell UltraSharp from the OP? 23" is perfectly large enough for my needs and it comes with one of those DisplayPort thingies (my GPU has 2 Mini DisplayPorts).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yeah a 7850 can drive 1920x1080 quite well, you won't be able to max out settings on newer demanding games and stay over 60fps but basically everything below that is just dandy.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Okay, that's what I was hoping to hear. As long as games look better/have better framerates than they do on my PS3 then I'll be happy. Thanks!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Also, regarding the U2412M vs the U2312HM, what exactly is the difference? The obvious factor being 1920x1080 for the 23inch and 1980x1200 for the 24, but besides that what's the difference? Does it effect gaming/general use in any way? Is one superior to the other in certain aspects?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's presumably just 23 inches versus 24 and 16:9 vs. 16:10.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Are there any monitors out there that would be a significant upgrade from a Dell U2311H?

I've had this thing for 2 years, and it has been incredible. But, I feel like im missing out after buying an Asus laptop this year that has an LED backlit IPS.

I really do not like the anti glare sparkle on the Dells, but i'd still like a matte display.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guni posted:

Also, regarding the U2412M vs the U2312HM, what exactly is the difference? The obvious factor being 1920x1080 for the 23inch and 1980x1200 for the 24, but besides that what's the difference? Does it effect gaming/general use in any way? Is one superior to the other in certain aspects?

1920*1080 allows you to see more in gaming and view 16/9 movies without black bars, is worse for everything else. Other than that the panels seem pretty similar spec-wise:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Even their out-of-box/calibrated colors are incredibly close. I'd say buy whatever ratio you prefer.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 27, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Elentor posted:

1920*1080 allows you to see more in gaming and view 16/9 movies without black bars, is worse for everything else. Other than that the panels seem pretty similar spec-wise:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Even their out-of-box/calibrated colors are incredibly close. I'd say buy whatever ratio you prefer.

The common thing I see cited for 1920x1200 is that you can fit a 1920x1080 frame 1:1 for editing and whatnot, assuming that the taskbar + UI of your editor can squeeze into 120 vertical pixels.

Really it comes down to personal preference. And the U2412 deleted anything outside of VGA/DP/DVI compared to its predecessor, so you get the same inputs no matter what.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

movax posted:

The common thing I see cited for 1920x1200 is that you can fit a 1920x1080 frame 1:1 for editing and whatnot, assuming that the taskbar + UI of your editor can squeeze into 120 vertical pixels.

Really it comes down to personal preference. And the U2412 deleted anything outside of VGA/DP/DVI compared to its predecessor, so you get the same inputs no matter what.

Well, you do want 1200 for editing, there's no reason not to. That's why I said gaming and watching movies in case he has an irrational hatred for black bars.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

How would 16:9 let you see more for gaming? FOV limits are gaming-engine locked.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

How would 16:9 let you see more for gaming? FOV limits are gaming-engine locked.
Not sure about other games, but Diablo 3 always gives the same vertical field of view, so a 16:9 monitor will show more to the left and right than a 16:10. I noticed this when I switched from a lovely 1080p TN monitor to a u3011.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You can't have it locked in all three axis. If you lock it in both x and y, then the game screen will always look distorted unless you play on a 1:1 ratio.

Games usually lock it vertically so 16:9 returns a horizontal ratio bigger than 16:10. Some games are smarter about it and try to prevent extreme horizontal FoV by scaling it around a certain ratio, but usually it's around 16:9.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Not sure about other games, but Diablo 3 always gives the same vertical field of view, so a 16:9 monitor will show more to the left and right than a 16:10. I noticed this when I switched from a lovely 1080p TN monitor to a u3011.
Huh. It's got to be a trivial amount of periphery though, right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Huh. It's got to be a trivial amount of periphery though, right?
An 11% difference total, or 5.5% on each side. I certainly noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

An 11% difference total, or 5.5% on each side. I certainly noticed it.
Good for me that I've been using 1680x1050 for years, then. :sweatdrop: