Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I am loving have a scanner

Spider by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Not sure if you guys have read this before but I felt it was an interesting read on the state of the film market now: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/111070-photokina-2012-report-english-version.html

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Im That One Guy posted:

I am loving have a scanner

Spider by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Very cool. Congrats for your new toy too, it will keep you busy for quite a while. :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

alkanphel posted:

Not sure if you guys have read this before but I felt it was an interesting read on the state of the film market now: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/111070-photokina-2012-report-english-version.html

Also check out the last couple of episodes of the film photography podcast, they've got bunch of interviews with industry types from photokina and PDN. The end result being that its all not looking too bad for film.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You were wrong then. It's great 8)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Friday Night Rummage Sale Elderly Crush by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Water Hazard by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Kaiser I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic, with Kodak Ektachrome P1600 slide film. It expired in 1994, but it came out "okay" shot/developed at 1600 anyway.
Very nice, I've some Ektachrome at home but nothing as fast as 1600, fast film is so expensive where I live :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Very nice, I've some Ektachrome at home but nothing as fast as 1600, fast film is so expensive where I live :(

It's expensive here too, now that people think expired film is worth millions on ebay. S Now every ad is for "Lomo, Rare, LOL" film that is somehow worth more than brand new film from any online retailer. I think the only exceptional deal I have gotten in the last six months is the 20 rolls of Portra 100T is stole for $50.

Also get Provia 400x and find a lab that will push E6 2 stops if you want fast slides.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think there's only one lab in Dublin that still does E6, it's the official Fuji retailer and they're not very film-centred at all, I'd be very surprised if they can push develop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I just switched to Ecopro Neutral Fix because I couldn't one more wiff of Kodafix. I highly recommend this stuff, tiny odor of ammonia but other than that not bad at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Delta 3200 is fuckin' wacky what the gently caress

Checkers by iantuten, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-samurai posted:

Ecopro Neutral Fix

When they say it's "eco friendly" does that mean I can pour it down the drain?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

QPZIL posted:

Delta 3200 is fuckin' wacky what the gently caress

Checkers by iantuten, on Flickr

for alternate grain structure, try HP5+ pushed to 3200

Turbine Mast by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Transition by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

thank you by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

When they say it's "eco friendly" does that mean I can pour it down the drain?

Absolutely not. It's just a brand name. Fix will never be safe to pour down the drain because of the silver it removes from the film.

Fake edit: I guess you could probably pour fresh fix down a drain but why would you?

Legit Edit: Well according to their website Ecopro products contain no chemicals that are toxic to plant life. They also say small amount can be poured down the drain with large amounts of water but I still think that's bullshit. Any amount of silver going down the drain is bad in my book.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 27, 2012

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You can remove almost all of the silver from fixer by putting a pad of steel wool in a gallon jug of used fixer, shaking, and letting it stand for a few days, then removing the steel wool and filtering the sludge that forms. It's still illegal in most states to pour it down the drain, but if you have no way to dispose of hazardous waste it's a lot better than just dumping it.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow
Speaking of silver how am I *supposed* to dispose of it? I haven't actually ever owned my own chemicals until now.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Tunnelman posted:

Speaking of silver how am I *supposed* to dispose of it? I haven't actually ever owned my own chemicals until now.

Sell it on ebay or take it to your local hazardous waste disposal site.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tunnelman posted:

Anywhere but the sink is what I've heard.

I usually put my spent fixer in an OJ carton or a 2 liter bottle and toss it in the garbage. Am I... Am I doing something illegal? :ohdear:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

QPZIL posted:

Anywhere but the sink is what I've heard.

I usually put my spent fixer in an OJ carton or a 2 liter bottle and toss it in the garbage. Am I... Am I doing something illegal? :ohdear:

You might as well throw it in the sink if you're going to do that, since any container with liquid in it is going to burst when the trash is collected. The steel wool method is the way to go.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Radbot posted:

You might as well throw it in the sink if you're going to do that, since any container with liquid in it is going to burst when the trash is collected. The steel wool method is the way to go.

Good point, but then what do I do with the spent silver I extract?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

QPZIL posted:

Good point, but then what do I do with the spent silver I extract?

You can throw that away, the key is to get the dissolved silver out of liquid so it can't seep down into stuff and do nasty things.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Save up enough silver to cast a bullet and protect yourself from werewolves.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Got a call from the lab on Thursday (never a good sign). "Sir, there's a slight color shift in your film".

Oh god.

"I'm looking at one image and the skin color of the person is exactly the same as the cement sidewalk they are standing on."

NOOOO.

"I'll do my best to fix it."

loving hurricane Sandy. My film was nice and frozen while I saved up money to get my film developed, and then when the storm hit we lost power for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to think about putting the film in a box outside where it was slightly chilly.

I have a co-worker who shoots film all the time, 35mm and 120. Never freezes or refrigerates anything. Shoots with expired film all the time and he swears it's almost always perfect. He's never had a problem with color shifts. He once found a roll of color film he had for like 25 years and put it in one of his cameras, shot the roll, got the film developed and it was virtually perfect. So after hearing these kinds of stories from him (and from some of the stories posted here) I didn't think twice about temporarily loss in cooling.

Ugggh.

93 rolls :cry:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
She said my film might look a little "artsy" :mad:

I think having had my film in such a cold state for so long, letting it defrost and get warm for 2 weeks was possibly very bad for it. Had it been kept at room temperature the whole time it might have been fine. I am now very concerned for the unused rolls of film, still sealed, in my refrigerator that also went through this warming up process, (and then cooling down process once power came back on).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

Got a call from the lab on Thursday (never a good sign). "Sir, there's a slight color shift in your film".

Oh god.

"I'm looking at one image and the skin color of the person is exactly the same as the cement sidewalk they are standing on."

NOOOO.

"I'll do my best to fix it."

loving hurricane Sandy. My film was nice and frozen while I saved up money to get my film developed, and then when the storm hit we lost power for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to think about putting the film in a box outside where it was slightly chilly.

I have a co-worker who shoots film all the time, 35mm and 120. Never freezes or refrigerates anything. Shoots with expired film all the time and he swears it's almost always perfect. He's never had a problem with color shifts. He once found a roll of color film he had for like 25 years and put it in one of his cameras, shot the roll, got the film developed and it was virtually perfect. So after hearing these kinds of stories from him (and from some of the stories posted here) I didn't think twice about temporarily loss in cooling.

Ugggh.

93 rolls :cry:

Yeah. Your film was not damaged by room temperature storage for a few weeks. Either the lab hosed it up or you left it on the heater that whole time.

Mannequin posted:

I think having had my film in such a cold state for so long, letting it defrost and get warm for 2 weeks was possibly very bad for it.

No it wasn't.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Do you have some sort of special process for removing film from the fridge to use that somehow differs from what happened? I highly doubt the whole process had any effect on your film, unless, as 8th said, you then stored it near a heater.
More likely is that the film was off to begin with (did you buy it fresh?), or there is a problem with the lab's chemicals or scanner calibration.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Was it negative film or slide film? Overcast light will shift Provia blue especially if you shoot it in the shade.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -