Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Bongo Bill posted:

Perhaps her apathy is related to the fact that, due to not eating, she has never experienced her life's true passion: hamburgers.

Oh, to never have 'burged! Truly, 'tis a cursed existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cthulhuchan posted:

Oh, to never have 'burged! Truly, 'tis a cursed existence.

Things Jones is not:
-A robot
-Alive
-Dracula

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

PubicMice posted:

Things Jones is not:
-A robot
-Alive
-Dracula

-A golem

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
I need a hand here. I am trying to twootle the comic wherein Coyote talks about how he messed up the stars. I cannot seem to find it. At all. Anyone have a link?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I need a hand here. I am trying to twootle the comic wherein Coyote talks about how he messed up the stars. I cannot seem to find it. At all. Anyone have a link?

This one?

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
Thank you. I thought it was later than that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PubicMice posted:

Things Jones is not:
-A robot
-Alive
-Dracula

"What is a man? A bipedal relative of the primate family known primarily for its intelligence. But enough talk. The tea is ready."

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
What weirds me out the most is that Jones looked like a human before humans had even existed yet. Was this ever explained or hinted at? There's got to be a reason behind it.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

Eggie posted:

What weirds me out the most is that Jones looked like a human before humans had even existed yet. Was this ever explained or hinted at? There's got to be a reason behind it.

technically speaking, humans look like jones

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crazy theory: Jones is an unwitting forest sleeper agent. Her memories and personality are fabricated, created wholesale by Coyote. This also accounts for her unbreakable body. Her invulnerability is a great way to avoid evidence contradicting her story. This would also explain Coyote calling her Wandering Eye. She's a mobile observation point for him, involuntary though it may be.

I don't actually believe this theory though; feel free to shoot holes in it :shobon:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Crazy theory: Jones is an unwitting forest sleeper agent. Her memories and personality are fabricated, created wholesale by Coyote. This also accounts for her unbreakable body. Her invulnerability is a great way to avoid evidence contradicting her story. This would also explain Coyote calling her Wandering Eye. She's a mobile observation point for him, involuntary though it may be.

I don't actually believe this theory though; feel free to shoot holes in it :shobon:

Paranoia about Coyote's abilities, especially since the Ysengrin incident, is certainly understandable. The first problem that comes to mind is that Jones has knowledge of things that Coyote wouldn't- like the appearance of dinosaurs and customs in medieval Europe. Jones is a creature of intellect, and I like to think that she would notice if her memories contradicted what was scientifically verified, she'd be suspicious of it herself. On the other hand, it would be neat for Siddell to make a shout out to Oxxidation's story.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

AntimatterSpork posted:

technically speaking, humans look like jones

Maybe someone is less than honest about doing some tinkering with the primordial soup

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ezzer posted:

Maybe someone is less than honest about doing some tinkering with the primordial soup

Nah, we're just an extreme case of Batesian mimicry. After the millionth or so saber-toothed cat splinters its fangs on Jones, its descendants are going to think really hard about messing with something that looks a lot like her.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Phy posted:

Batesian mimicry.

ok I read that as Batman mimicry at first, I think its time to sleep...

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Rumda posted:

ok I read that as Batman mimicry at first, I think its time to sleep...

Humans evolved to this point so we could produce Batman.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Phy posted:

Nah, we're just an extreme case of Batesian mimicry. After the millionth or so saber-toothed cat splinters its fangs on Jones, its descendants are going to think really hard about messing with something that looks a lot like her.

This is the best reasoning for humans to look like Jones that I've seen so far.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Phy posted:

Could be something like this, with an etheric bent perhaps. Like, all these other animals through the years have died with a memory of a creature who looks like Jones and it has influenced the ether in such a way that the evolution of Jonesoid creatures became more favoured. The ether subtly influencing chance or whatever.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Phy posted:

I really like this idea. I hope it's canon.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
So I just marathoned this whole thing in a couple of hours. I really should be sleeping but holy poo poo did this ever spiral into greatness.

I was weirded out by the art at first, but that didn't take long to get better. It's amazing how much it's changed during the series. I kinda feel like I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't read it all in one sitting. So gradual, yet so strikingly different from when it started.

Time to painstakingly wait for every page like normal people.

(Also Jones owns bones. (Dinosaur ones, probably.))

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Wikiman posted:

(Also Jones owns bones. (Dinosaur ones, probably.))

End of Chapter:

:geno: Here's my authentic T-Rex skeleton.

And Annie's head just explodes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ah. Jones is a personification of the strong anthropic principle.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Beautiful last panel, there.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Wikiman posted:

I kinda feel like I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't read it all in one sitting. So gradual, yet so strikingly different from when it started.

No, football-head-Annie is a memory no one forgets.

As for the new page, some googling brought up Ecco the Dolphin (it's probably not Ecco) and Delphinus. Not sure what the other things are though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And we swing back to the retroactive belief theory.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Does poetry require emotional connection, or simply finesse as a wordsmith?

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
That depends on your (or Tom's) definition of poetry. If a computer can generate a haiku (it can), then there's nothing stopping someone who's observed human language since it was a thing from playing some neat tricks with it.

Does being a poet just mean you're someone who can produce objects recognized as poems? Recognized as good poems? I say Jones's secret emotions are the core of her soul of an artist.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
He's joking about how Jones' distant musings sound poetic despite the emotional disconnect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

He's joking about how Jones' distant musings sound poetic despite the emotional disconnect.

That and two of her lines actually rhyme.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah the joke is that when someone says two line which rhyme (who put the stars in the sky? Coyote and that's not a lie) it's common to say 'I'm a poet and I didn't know it". This is a twist on that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My life will not be complete without a bonus strip of Rap Battles by Jones.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This entire chapter is all sorts of astonishing, but somehow the weirdest thing yet is today's comment by Tom.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

quote:

Who put the stars in the sky?
Coyote will say
He did it himself
And it is not a lie.

The same claim
Will be made
By powerful creatures from other cultures around the world.
However,
I can unequivocally state
that the stars were
always
in the sky.

I saw them myself

Long before any creature on this planet
Could life their head to see them.

It's a shame. She would make quite the poet.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 26, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jones is a human elemental.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Phy posted:

Somewhere, there's a universe where this was taken too far and everyone looks exactly like her.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
So if a powerful being created by humans created the stars, but the stars were there before the being was created as proved by Jones who was there after the stars and before humans, then the being would have sent a direct copy of the stars back in time to take the place of the original stars. Then the original stars would move forward in time, taking the place of Jones, who takes the place of humans, who take the place of the god, who falls off the edge of a cliff.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Actually, if you abandon your belief that there is only one past, it makes perfect sense. Time is like a thread, frayed on both ends, going through a needle. The past is mutable, as is the future; only the present is fixed. Any number of pasts could have happened as long as they lead to the same present. Only by discovering evidence that a past didn't happen can you make it unhappen.

On an odd note, does Jones have a belly button? I can't imagine why she would, other than looking more human.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zemyla posted:

On an odd note, does Jones have a belly button? I can't imagine why she would, other than looking more human.

Biologically speaking Jones has no reason to have a... Jones. Don't think you can apply biological logic to her.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

My Bones.
Jones' Bones.
Jones Jones Jones.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think they're going to talk about the literal stars here. As in, "how can Coyote have put the stars in the sky if humans made him up". We'll see, though.

Good lord, I was actually right about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

My Bones.
Jones' Bones.
Jones Jones Jones.

Think I might swipe this one for an avatar. Really like that Coyote.