Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Could anyone tell me if there's a machine out there that can make a better cup of coffee than a good French press? I'm not in a hurry to switch, I enjoy my press, but if there's something better out there, I'd like to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is the cheapest machine recommendable. As per usual advice, a 500bux grinder and this machine will make better espresso than a 100bux grinder and a la marzocco.

As far as whether this is good for beginners, it depends on how big you want to go. This is still a single boiler, pressurized portafilter espresso maker. The steamwand isn't the best, too. But it's an entry level machine.

I just got a Baratza Virtuoso (w/ the preciso burrs). Seriously thinking about this now, thanks for the info.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

For you cheap bastards ALDI sells a semi-nice looking digital scale for $10 bucks. I have it and it seems to work just fine.

Here is someone reviewing it.
http://aldishopper.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-kitchen-living-digital-kitchen.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InstantInfidel posted:

Could anyone tell me if there's a machine out there that can make a better cup of coffee than a good French press? I'm not in a hurry to switch, I enjoy my press, but if there's something better out there, I'd like to give it a shot.

They are inherently different things. A drip machine is not a pour over is not press pot is not moka pot is not aeropress is not espresso.

That said, Technivorm and Bonavita BV1800 are the best drip machines that I know of.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

GrAviTy84 posted:

They are inherently different things. A drip machine is not a pour over is not press pot is not moka pot is not aeropress is not espresso.

That said, Technivorm and Bonavita BV1800 are the best drip machines that I know of.

Don't forget the Behmor Brazen!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Anyone need any coffee brewing equipment? The company I work for (Able Brewing) is having a Black Friday sale! Get 20% off your order on November 23 with the coupon code: THANKS

grahm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 22, 2012

Hauki
May 11, 2010

grahm posted:

Anyone need any coffee brewing equipment? The company I work for (Able Brewing) is having a Black Friday sale! Get 20% off your order with the coupon code: THANKS
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've gone through the checkout process up to the point of confirmation three times now and can't find anywhere to even enter a coupon code.

VVV - Ah hah.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 22, 2012

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Hauki posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've gone through the checkout process up to the point of confirmation three times now and can't find anywhere to even enter a coupon code.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The code will only work on Black Friday (November 23).

EDIT: Code is live now.

grahm fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 22, 2012

Stugene
Apr 7, 2009

Starring Bill Cosby
as Victor Meldrew
Any chance of an updated OP with some Espresso machines in different price ranges?

I'm looking to spend between £100-£200 on a machine, but its difficult to find decently priced equipment in the UK. Anyone got any advice?

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Steve Yun posted:

Good places to buy coffee, beans in the SF Bay Area?

Whenever I'm in the Bay Area, I always bring a couple pounds of Four Barrel home with me. I generally get it from Red Rock in Downtown Mountain View, but I'm positive they have other distributors in the area.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

foxxtrot posted:

Whenever I'm in the Bay Area, I always bring a couple pounds of Four Barrel home with me. I generally get it from Red Rock in Downtown Mountain View, but I'm positive they have other distributors in the area.

There's also Blue Bottle in the ferry building and some other places, they're always swarmed with tourists and have a number of different roasts available in bags plus brewing equipment (although none of their pots and things looked great to me), ritual in the Mission might sell bags of their beans too.

ed: They do! You can even buy them online: https://www.ritualroasters.com/store/ They even have :catdrugs: gram scales :catdrugs:

Also - has anybody done an in-depth moka pot method post? I've been using one for a long time now, I could totally do a what to do / not do post if people were interested and not already gws masters of the coffee arts.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 23, 2012

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Has anyone heard of the Grower's Cup brewing system? Saw an ad for it in a coffee mag my parents bought back from their latest SE Asia trip and it seems pretty unique - like a cross between a K-cup and V60/Chemex.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shouting Melon posted:

Has anyone heard of the Grower's Cup brewing system? Saw an ad for it in a coffee mag my parents bought back from their latest SE Asia trip and it seems pretty unique - like a cross between a K-cup and V60/Chemex.
That seems incredibly wasteful. I couldn't tell from the website, but you're not reusing the bags, right? The bag comes to you with pre ground coffee, so it's still not as fresh as grinding at home.

I guess it could be alright to grab a few bags for a weekend camping trip and it'd be the topic of conversation for 5 seconds. However, I think there's other better methods out there.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
I'll probably seem like a barbaric peasant who shouldn't be allowed near coffee, but I wanted to share. I've had a love affair with coffee since my teens (I feel so old saying that) and over the years I've tried coffee made with every preparation method mentioned in the OP, although I don't actually own any machines besides a coffee press, a terrible drip machine, and a Nespresso machine my girlfriend bought. I feel like nothing tastes better than finely ground coffee boiled in a pot on the stove. I wouldn't say no to a good espresso, but I do say no to the amount of work needed to make one at home.

This thread made me want to make some coffee, so I did, and I put together a visual guide while I was at it!

It's cheap and cleanup is pretty much just rinsing a pot, and it tastes so rich and strong. Because the coffee is finely ground, it sinks to the bottom of the cup and you don't drink any of it. You're just left with a coffee sludge that looks a lot like mud when you're done. I'm sure there's some funny chemistry business going on that ruins the flavor because it's boiled, but my taste buds are probably hosed from all the junk food and tobacco I consume, so I can't tell!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Aws posted:

It's cheap and cleanup is pretty much just rinsing a pot, and it tastes so rich and strong. Because the coffee is finely ground, it sinks to the bottom of the cup and you don't drink any of it. You're just left with a coffee sludge that looks a lot like mud when you're done. I'm sure there's some funny chemistry business going on that ruins the flavor because it's boiled, but my taste buds are probably hosed from all the junk food and tobacco I consume, so I can't tell!

This is not that far off from the Turkish method, which is delicious. If you're using light roasted single origin beans you're probably losing a lot, but you would be with a Mr Coffee, too.

e: those photos totally make me want to do that btw.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
^^^I was just going to say, isn't this pretty much what the little Turkish things do, except with a smaller volume?

What would happen if you added water at the right temp to the grounds after boiling, like you'd do for cupping coffee? You'd avoid the problem with the wide temperature variance/range messing with the coffee; would you still get the same convenient sink-to-the-bottom grounds?

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
What's the difference between this and 'Turkish' coffee? I'm from the Middle East and everyone seems to have their variation of the same basic idea of putting coffee in a pot and boiling it. Some people call it Turkish, some Iraqi, some Lebanese, but I've noticed it's an Arab trend to do essentially the same thing but give it its own name. It seems like a matter of national pride. Desserts take this to an even more absurd degree. They'll use exactly the same ingredients but prepared in a slightly different way and get irritated when you say it's the same as that other dish.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Needs sugar and cardamom.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
Anyone have recommendations for a brewed coffee maker like the Zojirushi listed on the first page?

Looking to get one for parents, it looks great and the price was right, but I can't seem to find it for sale anymore in Canada / Toronto :canada:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Yeah lots of sugar for turkish coffee is necessary. Turkish coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stugene posted:

Any chance of an updated OP with some Espresso machines in different price ranges?

I'm looking to spend between £100-£200 on a machine, but its difficult to find decently priced equipment in the UK. Anyone got any advice?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post409741173

Saeco aroma, also was recommended by Alton Brown on his show

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 24, 2012

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

The cheapest Google can find it for in the UK seems to be £198: http://www.gio-espresso.co.uk/products.php?product=Saeco-9373-Aroma-Espresso-Machine

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

As much as I love Alton Brown, I'm not sure him endorsing an espresso machine carries much weight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Perhaps, but if you click the link you'll see it was also recommended by our resident coffee perfectionist Gravity as a low budget machine.

BTW I saw a used Saeco machine with a built in grinder. Are those any good or should I assume the grinder is subpar

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 25, 2012

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Steve Yun posted:

Perhaps, but if you click the link you'll see it was also recommended by our resident coffee perfectionist Gravity as a low budget machine.

BTW I saw a used Saeco machine with a built in grinder. Are those any good or should I assume the grinder is subpar

I'm aware, I'm just not sure that Alton is much of a coffee connoisseur. Any machine with a built in grinder is most likely an automatic, and is not going to produce quality espresso (compared to the flexibility and control a semi automatic machine gives you).

As others have said many times before in this thread, the grinder is more important than the machine, and is going to do more to improve the espresso you get out of a < $500 espresso machine than anything else.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have a love and hate relationship with espresso. I have a Baratza Preciso and a Starbucks Barista (Old rebadged Saeco Via Venzia AFAIK) machine. Making espresso is a chore and I suck at tamping, rarely getting good shots. In addition the soupy mess of not having a machine with a 3 way solenoid pisses me off (seriously if you're buying a machine get one with one) bothers me. But then I'll just get on a kick of making 3-4 espresso drinks a day which makes me love it too much to give up.

I often think to just sell the thing and live with my $2 filter cone and electric kettle.
Given that I already have two french presses, said espresso machine and a Melitta filter cone. Help me.

PS

Anyone have a Clever Coffee dripper?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 25, 2012

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

DoktorLoken posted:

I have a love and hate relationship with espresso. I have a Baratza Preciso and a Starbucks Barista (Old rebadged Saeco Via Venzia AFAIK) machine. Making espresso is a chore and I suck at tamping, rarely getting good shots. In addition the soupy mess of not having a machine with a 3 way solenoid pisses me off (seriously if you're buying a machine get one with one) bothers me. But then I'll just get on a kick of making 3-4 espresso drinks a day which makes me love it too much to give up.

You're telling me you don't like gimmicky steam wands, crema enhancers and pressurized portafilters?!

Unfortunately, that's sort of the experience you get with lower end machines. :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I actually have an unpressurized portafilter for it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One of the more useful items by my espresso maker is an old spring-loaded bathroom scale. I use it to measure my tamping pressure. Lay cloth on scale top, put portafilter on scale, tamp and check the dial to confirm pressure.

The other item is one of those little drug dealer scales from dealextreme. I use that to dose the coffee out to ensure I get the same amount every time. Key to espresso is consistency.

I can absolutely understand espresso being too much of a PITA to bother with for some people, but I find the process (and end result of course) comforting.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

I have one, it makes pretty awesome coffee. I like it better than what comes out of my chemex.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I just went to Temple in Sacramento. Very disappointing for my favorite coffee shop. Mean to come home with a bag but declined.
The ethopian was bitter as hell -- tasted over extracted. Their El Salvador was just boring -- I think it was almost a week old, which didn't help.
:(

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I need to order more green coffee from Sweet Marias. I ordered some Brazilian and Kenyan coffee last time and they were great. I want to try two different regions now. I know I like Ethiopian and dislike Indian coffees, so I'd be open to suggestions!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I need to order more green coffee from Sweet Marias. I ordered some Brazilian and Kenyan coffee last time and they were great. I want to try two different regions now. I know I like Ethiopian and dislike Indian coffees, so I'd be open to suggestions!

I'd suggest Yemen and Mexico (the latter of which has no offerings currently :()

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Glass posted:

I'd suggest Yemen and Mexico (the latter of which has no offerings currently :()

Mexico procuces coffee? Well I'll be damned.

Yemen sounds interesting. I need one more though!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Mexico procuces coffee? Well I'll be damned.

Yemen sounds interesting. I need one more though!

Maybe Guatemala, if you like the fruitier side of coffee.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

They have some high grade Ethiopian just in this month, so I would make sure to get some of that. Based on your dislike of Indian, you may not like Indonesian, but you can test it out with some Java or Sumatra. I am a big fan of the Costa Ricans for the Latin American region.

DoktorLoken posted:

yes.

Edit: Just setup the Bonavita BV1800 that I got as a wedding gift. Trip report to follow. First time having an auto coffee maker in 3 years. :woop:

Edit2: Temp of the water coming out of the drip heads is 203.5 F as measured by a probe thermometer so it should hit the grounds, maybe a touch below that. It has a cone filter and I have the thermal carafe model. Looks pretty good. Will brew first cups tomorrow morning.

188.9 F in the carafe after brewing a full pot's worth of water in the coffee pot :dance:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 26, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Doh004 posted:

Rwanda.

Or chickencheese.

Also thanks Gravity, now I'm going to go buy a Bonavita. Jerk.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Also thanks Gravity, now I'm going to go buy a Bonavita. Jerk.

lol :hfive:

So it brews pretty well! Fast ~3 min or so, which was one thing I was worried about (overextraction). Brewed 900 mL for me and the wife this morning -> 50g of coffee, fresh roasted Philippine Barako. The thermal carafe is pretty well designed, glass lined, the lid has a quick open lever so you don't need to unscrew or whatever and can be operated with one hand. Handle feels a skosh on the flimsy side, but not terribly so and only feels that way when full of liquid. 2nd cup was still plenty hot for my tastes, forgot to measure temp though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol :hfive:

So it brews pretty well! Fast ~3 min or so, which was one thing I was worried about (overextraction). Brewed 900 mL for me and the wife this morning -> 50g of coffee, fresh roasted Philippine Barako. The thermal carafe is pretty well designed, glass lined, the lid has a quick open lever so you don't need to unscrew or whatever and can be operated with one hand. Handle feels a skosh on the flimsy side, but not terribly so and only feels that way when full of liquid. 2nd cup was still plenty hot for my tastes, forgot to measure temp though.

Stop it. My hand is reaching for my wallet. STOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Aaaaaaa I've been wanting a Bonavita so bad lately and this isn't helping. :saddowns:

My coworker sent this to me: http://rokkitchentools.com Looks pretty cool, what do you guys think? I'm not as interested in making espresso at home, but he's obsessed with the idea of getting this for the office (we currently have one of those incredibly lovely steam toy machines in the OP).