Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I was wondering about this, actually.

Pretty much anything you could wonder is in this thread somewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1327107/the-official-yamaha-rx-v671-thread-7-1-channel-network-avr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterion
Oct 16, 2012
I'm moving in to a new apartment in the coming weeks, and I think it's about time I set up my own home theater set up, and any advice would be appreciated. After a week of so of reading about all this stuff, I've come up with what I think would be a good starting point: a 2.0 setup (eventually becoming a 3.0 or 3.1) hooked up to my projector and ps3. The ps3 is going to be the only source for a while until I build a decent HTPC, so I'll be steaming tv shows, watching blu-rays, and do a bit of gaming every now and then.

So I've been looking at finding a good deal on 2 floorstanding speakers, and a receiver which would hook everything all together and allow for future speaker/subwoofer additions, and this is what I've come up with:

2 x Definitive Technology BP7006
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Te...tive+technology

1 x DENON AVR-1913
OR
1 x Onkyo TX-NR616

Both of those receivers would be from A4L and they're priced similarly, but if anyone could find any alternative less than $450 from there which would suit me better than either of those, I'm all ears. Same goes for the speakers, if there are similar or better ones to be had elsewhere which would sound better at the same or lower cost, suggestions would be welcome.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mysterion posted:

I'm moving in to a new apartment in the coming weeks, and I think it's about time I set up my own home theater set up, and any advice would be appreciated. After a week of so of reading about all this stuff, I've come up with what I think would be a good starting point: a 2.0 setup (eventually becoming a 3.0 or 3.1) hooked up to my projector and ps3. The ps3 is going to be the only source for a while until I build a decent HTPC, so I'll be steaming tv shows, watching blu-rays, and do a bit of gaming every now and then.

So I've been looking at finding a good deal on 2 floorstanding speakers, and a receiver which would hook everything all together and allow for future speaker/subwoofer additions, and this is what I've come up with:

2 x Definitive Technology BP7006
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Te...tive+technology

1 x DENON AVR-1913
OR
1 x Onkyo TX-NR616

Both of those receivers would be from A4L and they're priced similarly, but if anyone could find any alternative less than $450 from there which would suit me better than either of those, I'm all ears. Same goes for the speakers, if there are similar or better ones to be had elsewhere which would sound better at the same or lower cost, suggestions would be welcome.

The Onkyo 709 is a better receiver than the newer 616 or the Denon.
Better calibration, better more stable amplifier, and also available from A4L

Those speakers are good, but their claims and writeup are a bit of a stretch. In theory though, you should be able to get by without using a subwoofer if their specs are somewhat realistic. For the price you're paying for a pair, you could get some nice speakers used off craigslist or kijiji. What area are you in ?

Mysterion
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll definitely take a look at the 709 and compare them with the others. I don't really know where I read this, but I got the impression that when it comes to receivers, you want to get the latest offerings because the following years' models always improve substantially over the model year before it, hence they tend to depreciate fast and be upgraded relatively often, compared to, say, the speakers which decent ones would last for 10+ years. This could be completely wrong btw, it's merely something I read along the way as I was trying to wrap my head around this stuff, so pardon me if it sounds silly :P

Also, I agree the claims on those speakers sound fantastic and the reason why I put them on my list. One of the attractive figures that caught my attention was that the frequency response would keep me from getting a sub for the lows, at least initially, and that it'd still sound good. And the reviews made it sound pretty awesome as well.
But I'll see what what craigslist has to offer now that you mention it, and see if I could save money getting something used. Any particular brand or model you suggest I search? And I'm in north carolina btw.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mysterion posted:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll definitely take a look at the 709 and compare them with the others. I don't really know where I read this, but I got the impression that when it comes to receivers, you want to get the latest offerings because the following years' models always improve substantially over the model year before it, hence they tend to depreciate fast and be upgraded relatively often, compared to, say, the speakers which decent ones would last for 10+ years. This could be completely wrong btw, it's merely something I read along the way as I was trying to wrap my head around this stuff, so pardon me if it sounds silly :P

Also, I agree the claims on those speakers sound fantastic and the reason why I put them on my list. One of the attractive figures that caught my attention was that the frequency response would keep me from getting a sub for the lows, at least initially, and that it'd still sound good. And the reviews made it sound pretty awesome as well.
But I'll see what what craigslist has to offer now that you mention it, and see if I could save money getting something used. Any particular brand or model you suggest I search? And I'm in north carolina btw.

You may need to pop back in once you get those speakers. Depending on the connections there are a couple right ways and a few wrong ways to hook them up with regards to the receivers bass management.

The only advancement in the last few years has been calibration systems, the rest of the new features has been streaming service support which is only useful if you don't have a PC or ps3 or some form of smart TV. In regards to the real advancement, the 709 is more advanced than this years new models. They actually stepped back in technology.
The 809 is behind the new 818, but the 717,616 etc are all a step back. Weird but true.

The main thing being the Eq system in the 616 and 717 doesn't do anything with the subwoofer in regards to acoustics or frequency response. The 709 does.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 24, 2012

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does anyone know if there are any decently cheap home audio systems going on sale? Right now my wife is using a 20 year old stero that I've rigged up downstairs, and I want to upgrade it (So she can change the volume. The knob doesn't work and the unit is too old for my cable remote). Neither of us are audiophiles by any means, just looking for something that sounds decent. Reading the guide, I'd like to keep it as far under $500 as possible. Are there any good Cyber Monday sales going on? Should I look at getting abundle or getting the receivers and speakers separately?

Should I go with something like this or wait until sales start on Monday?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Does anyone know if there are any decently cheap home audio systems going on sale?

For music, movies or something else? Do you have size limitations (ie. do you want small speakers)? What sources will you want to connect?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
It's been a long time since I looked into this stuff but after years of owning a 3.0 system I finally have the money to invest in a good subwoofer and wanted to get your opinions. Currently I have 2 Paradigm Atom Monitor v5, Paradigm CC190 center and Denon AVR-1707 A/V receiver and want to get a good subwoofer. Back in the day these were suggested and I'm wondering if it still holds true:
$770 SVS PB12 NSD
$650 HSU VTF-3 MK4
Other?

Primary concern is movies. Budget is no more than $800, thanks.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Let's say movies. Her games aren't real special with the sound, movies would use it the most. Currently no size requirements, stands are a viable option as well. There will be an Xbox, PS2, Cable TV box, PC, maybe some other devices that will use component, and maybe rarely an old VCR. So for for expansion, say 4x HDMI, 2x Comp, 1x PC. The PC is currently VGA w/ 1/4" stereo jack. Don't remember if it has an HDMI port on it or not, will check when I get home.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whatupdet posted:

It's been a long time since I looked into this stuff but after years of owning a 3.0 system I finally have the money to invest in a good subwoofer and wanted to get your opinions. Currently I have 2 Paradigm Atom Monitor v5, Paradigm CC190 center and Denon AVR-1707 A/V receiver and want to get a good subwoofer. Back in the day these were suggested and I'm wondering if it still holds true:
$770 SVS PB12 NSD
$650 HSU VTF-3 MK4
Other?

Primary concern is movies. Budget is no more than $800, thanks.

DIY Bill Fitz Table Tuba will be the best bang for the buck. It will stomp any assembled subwoofer under the $5000 point.

Can be assembled for around 300 depending on options.

If you want pre built, you're on the right track with the internet direct companies.

Other than SVS and HSU there is Epik, Elemental Designs, Rythmik,

Also Seaton and JTR but those are way over budget.

Firstly, how large is the airspace the subwoofer will be in (total cubic feet)? And are you able to place it in a corner ?

Personally my favourite of the above companies is Rythmik, followed by HSU. Rythmik seems to have the tightest most accurate subwoofers.

If you can budget a Rythmik F15 you won't be disapointed.

There is also the fv12 which is around $500.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Let's say movies.

Depends on what other features you want in your receiver, but one idea:

Fronts (x2):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406&Tpk=pioneer%20bs41

Center:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290210

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404&Tpk=pioneer%20center%20speaker

Rears:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405&Tpk=pioneer%20bs21

Receiver:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR890/DENON-AVR-890-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.3a-Receiver/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Mix and match to please your tastes! The Pioneer speakers have surprisingly excellent measurements for their price, but require a subwoofer to go with 'em. Jonathan has recommended several choices and I'm not much for bass anyway so I'll defer to his judgement; the most likely choice is used Klipsch 12" sub. I would've suggested Polk PSW 10" but that's realistically speaking not nearly as good. It's easy to get, though.

Polks don't necessarily require a sub, but you won't get chest-thumping bass out of them. You may get one at a later date to accompany them if you feel like you need to walk all your porcelain out of closets.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Thanks for that. I'll probably start with a 3.1 system and upgrade the backs at a later date. poo poo, I think even a crappy $300 5.1 system would be better than what we have now.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R8U5QW

Is this a decent value AV Receiver to build a future system around? Currently, I'm just looking to get a modern receiver, since I'm still using a mid-90s analog only model with an ancient pair of speakers handed down from my dad. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade and get a pair of floorstanding speakers to replace them - will this be powerful enough to drive them?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

jonathan posted:

DIY Bill Fitz Table Tuba will be the best bang for the buck. It will stomp any assembled subwoofer under the $5000 point.
I will look into this but I really don't know how I feel about building my own. If I'm going to be honest I really doubt I'd feel comfortable spending $300-400 to build my own.

quote:

Other than SVS and HSU there is Epik, Elemental Designs, Rythmik,
Firstly, how large is the airspace the subwoofer will be in (total cubic feet)? And are you able to place it in a corner?
Currently very small 725 cu ft, eventually it will move into a room 2,000-2,400 cu ft. Yes I can place it in a corner.

quote:

Personally my favourite of the above companies is Rythmik, followed by HSU. Rythmik seems to have the tightest most accurate subwoofers.

If you can budget a Rythmik F15 you won't be disapointed.

There is also the fv12 which is around $500.
Originally before looking into my options I was almost dead set on buying the SVS but now I will look into these other companies, thanks.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Stutes posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R8U5QW

Is this a decent value AV Receiver to build a future system around? Currently, I'm just looking to get a modern receiver, since I'm still using a mid-90s analog only model with an ancient pair of speakers handed down from my dad. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade and get a pair of floorstanding speakers to replace them - will this be powerful enough to drive them?

I don't know much about this stuff, but I bought this receiver yesterday and it's been great for me so far. I'm in a pretty similar situation (upgrading from a high end mid-90s receiver that crapped out, have 2 fronts and a center currently but looking to probably upgrade/expand in the future). Compared to the old setup, this is MUCH better sound-wise. The reviews were all good and the price is pretty good I think. The only warning I might give is that unless all your components use hdmi connections you'll be pretty limited with this receiver.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

stupid puma posted:

The only warning I might give is that unless all your components use hdmi connections you'll be pretty limited with this receiver.

I don't think that will be an issue for me - the only non-HDMI inputs I have are old game consoles (a Wii and an SNES), and I assume I can plug those directly into the TV and use the HDMI audio return channel to get the sound back to the receiver. I think I'll pick this up later today.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whatupdet posted:

I will look into this but I really don't know how I feel about building my own. If I'm going to be honest I really doubt I'd feel comfortable spending $300-400 to build my own.

Currently very small 725 cu ft, eventually it will move into a room 2,000-2,400 cu ft. Yes I can place it in a corner.

Originally before looking into my options I was almost dead set on buying the SVS but now I will look into these other companies, thanks.

Basically you pay $12 for the plans, you can take them to a cabinet maker to have it all cut. Its MDF so the material is cheap.

Then you glue it together or get buddy shits cabinet maker to do it.

There is a shopping list for the plate amp, wires and woofer to order. Surprisingly this is the cheapest part of the setup.

All you would have to do is finish it either by sanding and staining some veneer or the vinyl stuff, or get some fabric and staple it on.

What you end up with is a subwoofer that can reach down to single digit frequencies, can accurately play back any source material at any volume you dare, and can simulate pulling your eyeballs out while drowning you with air.

You could gently caress your house foundation up with one of these if you wanted to. Not a joke.

Personally I would lean towards the Rythmik F15.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

That does sound pretty loving awesome. If it's so cheap to make such a kick-rear end subwoofer why aren't there little or big companies out there making these subwoofers and putting a little profit for themselves. I checked out his site and for about $400 in materials I could make one equivalent to a name brand subwoofer that would cost between $2,500-3,000 which is insane.

The F15 is too rich for my blood, on their website it's $974 and I didn't see it on newegg or Amazon. $800 is the absolute max I'm willing to pay pre-tax with shipping included and it has to be sent to NL Canada. I'd prefer close to $700 but will do $800 if necessary.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

whatupdet posted:

That does sound pretty loving awesome. If it's so cheap to make such a kick-rear end subwoofer why aren't there little or big companies out there making these subwoofers and putting a little profit for themselves. I checked out his site and for about $400 in materials I could make one equivalent to a name brand subwoofer that would cost between $2,500-3,000 which is insane.

The F15 is too rich for my blood, on their website it's $974 and I didn't see it on newegg or Amazon. $800 is the absolute max I'm willing to pay pre-tax with shipping included and it has to be sent to NL Canada. I'd prefer close to $700 but will do $800 if necessary.

Because they are the size of a piece of furniture. The horn concept isn't a new concept though. It's definitely tried and true. I'd love to make one eventually, but for now I have no room and my apartment neighbors would slaughter me.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I've been browsing around on accessories4less.com. Are any of their Black Friday deals worthwhile? I'm not sure how the model numbers run or if those aren't even worth consideration.

Something like this maybe.

e: Also, looks like those don't include any cabling, am I going to have to acquire that separately?

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 26, 2012

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Buying a subwoofer to finally do a 5.1 setup today. Getting the Polk PSW10 for $80 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA
I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver, and I need a cable to make the connection. I've never plugged in a subwoofer, so can someone hold my hand and confirm that this is what I need? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whatupdet posted:

The Rythmik FV12 is also very very good. Its probably the best 500 dollar sub available.

The Folded Horn and Tapped Horn designs when assembled would be very expensive to ship, and take a few man hours to build. Basically its a great product but horrible from a mass manufacturing standpoint.

Combined with the fact that most subwoofers need to be able to sit beside the TV in the living room, the maker would have to sell them for huge amounts to make a worthwhile profit.

Danley Sound labs builds these subs as a tapped horn design. They make subwoofers for giant churches and the military.

There was an old IMAX theater in California that they got hired to renovate the sound system for. They replaced sixteen 18" subs with four 15" Danley subs, and when the sound calibration crew came in to eq and do measurements, they thought something was wrong. They had to bring in different equipment to measure because the frequency response went from dropping off at 34hz with the old system to something silly like 10hz.

I might be getting the story slightly wrong.

Edit: here is an article. Chicago/California. Same thing.
http://blog.svconline.com/briefingroom/2009/05/22/danley-loudspeakers-clarify-the-cinema-experience/

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 26, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Originally Posted by jpmst3

From what I understand their (IMAX) subs only extend to about 20Hz.

But having Buttkickers would have the same net effect below that. I wish the Imax theaters near me had them.

quote:

Missed it by an octave....the Imax standard reference is -3dB@40Hz!
During the commissioning of the OMNIMAX project in Chicago, the Dolby folks spent considerable time trying to figure out what was wrong with their analyzers. The issue was they were measuring flat to 20Hz and when they brought that apparent error up to the contractor Tim Olgletree of Media Merge, Tim said welcome to Danley!

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I've got a problem with a high-pitched, but relatively quiet, whine that gradually increases because of some issue with the optical out on the TV. I can reset and temporarily remove the noise by pulling the optical cable out of the receiver and plugging it back in again. I figure there must be some charge building up, but I don't know enough to find a permanent fix for it. Is there some sort of filter or ground I need to get?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Hob_Gadling posted:

Polks don't necessarily require a sub, but you won't get chest-thumping bass out of them. You may get one at a later date to accompany them if you feel like you need to walk all your porcelain out of closets.

Thank you so much. I just went ahead and got all the polks, and the nicest denon. I'm really looking forward to it!

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
I want to add a subwoofer to my active stereo speakers. All my music playback is done via my desktop computer. Do I need to buy a receiver in order to run 2.1 or will my motherboard's audio outputs suffice? It has an out labeled "CTR / BASS".

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
What is the general consensus for receivers at this moment. I need to replace my onkyo because it has the hdmi signal issue that I tried to fix.

I want something that I can build around for the near future as right now I only have a Polk audio set.

I'm leaning towards the denon 2013 or the 1913. Anyone have these that they can give me some insight ?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

jonathan posted:

The Rythmik FV12 is also very very good. Its probably the best 500 dollar sub available.
I don't know why I make such a big deal out of this but AHHHHH I make these decisions harder on myself than need be which is stupid because I have never owned a subwoofer so clearly if I go with a $500+ HSU/SVS/Rythmic I'm going to be extremely pleased.

FV12 is $692USD shipped
PB12-NSD is $809CAD shipped
VTK-3 MK4 is $649USD+unknown shipping

I guess I will consider how much I'm willing to pay before I pull the trigger, I plan to order one of those three next week and hold off until Christmas before I open. All that's left is the subwoofer cable correct?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sparticus posted:

I'm leaning towards the denon 2013 or the 1913. Anyone have these that they can give me some insight ?

What's Denon 2013? There isn't a model with that number.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's Denon 2013? There isn't a model with that number.

My bad, the avr 2113. Hopped up on oxy after my surgery, got some numbers confused.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sanity check: This receiver will work fine with these speakers? Seems like it should, just want to avoid doing anything dumb.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fidel sarcastro posted:

Sanity check: This receiver will work fine with these speakers? Seems like it should, just want to avoid doing anything dumb.

Yep. You can get banana plugs for cheap at accessoriesforless, but you can connect your speakers without them if you want. Just makes things easier, and they'll work with your set up. Check out the OP for information on what AWG speaker wire you should get for the length you'll be running them.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sparticus posted:

My bad, the avr 2113. Hopped up on oxy after my surgery, got some numbers confused.

I probably wouldn't get either while 890 (essentially renamed 2310ci) was available for $250.

e: maybe a couple words more. It doesn't have HDMI 1.4 but I don't care about that. It's got enough connections for me, the amp is still good and while it has network functions I don't really care about that either. What I do care about is the price, the available power and the Audyssey MultiEQ. If any of the above are a dealbreaker then skip this part.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR890/DENON-AVR-890-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.3a-Receiver/1.html

The differences between 1913 and 2113 are:

* MultEQ XT instead of basic MultEQ
* Video scaling up to 4k resolution
* Amplifiers rated at 95w instead of 90w
* HDMI inputs are assignable
* Adds Zone 2 pre-outs (so you can still run 7.1 in main zone and feed Zone 2 to an external amp)
--- Note that Zone 2 pre-outs are fixed (line level) meaning you must provide external volume control
--- You can control Zone 2 volume internally when powering Zone 2 speakers with Surr.Back amps
* Adds "CI" connectivity
--- RS-232 serial port and room-to-room IR remote jacks (but no 12v trigger)
* 3-year "CI" warranty (vs. 2-year warranty on non "CI" models)

(taken from this handy thread)

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 28, 2012

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Yep. You can get banana plugs for cheap at accessoriesforless, but you can connect your speakers without them if you want. Just makes things easier, and they'll work with your set up. Check out the OP for information on what AWG speaker wire you should get for the length you'll be running them.

Get banana plugs. The first time you have to move or change something, it'll be a godsend.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Alarbus posted:

Get banana plugs. The first time you have to move or change something, it'll be a godsend.

Already have them, I'm way too lazy for straight speaker wire. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to blow anything up when I get everything connected. Thanks for the info, guys!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is it possible to get a stereo receiver with 4+ RCA inputs and a CD drive that can wake me up in the morning, that's also less than 9,5 cm tall? Preferably under 300€.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have an opinion about the Dynaudio Xeo series? I'm very interested in the concept of a wireless speaker, but not if they're terrible.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Does anyone have an opinion about the Dynaudio Xeo series? I'm very interested in the concept of a wireless speaker, but not if they're terrible.

It's not completely wireless, there's still power cords. Expensive as hell. Plays nicely, seems well built, pretty if you like shiny things. May need a pre-amp if there's a lot of sources.

For the asking price of €2950 per pair and sender unit there's a hell of a lot of choice. The speakers aren't bad, but they're certainly against some tough competition.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hob_Gadling: I bought the pioneer center and the polk front/rear by mistake. I thought I'd bought all polk. Will it make a terrible difference or can I just mix and match like that?

edit: also, those speakers are ENORMOUS. I'm going to install them this weekend and figure out if we have enough room. The living room's big enough but it was built with the fireplace as the center, not for a tv. I have my tv in the corner so I'm figuring out how this will work :D

redreader fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Will it make a terrible difference or can I just mix and match like that?

You can mix & match, but you'll have to decide for yourself if the difference in sound is too big. Most likely not. I don't have a matched center speaker and it doesn't bother me.

quote:

edit: also, those speakers are ENORMOUS.

Yeah, they take up a little space. That's why I asked whether there were size requirements. :)