Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
All right, I'm lost. Today's comic is a reference to the previous chapter in which Annie says that Ysgerin told her about Jones. But I can't find where Ysgerin told Annie about Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

All right, I'm lost. Today's comic is a reference to the previous chapter in which Annie says that Ysgerin told her about Jones. But I can't find where Ysgerin told Annie about Jones.
It was "off-camera" while spending the summer in the forest between "Fire Spike" and "From The Forest She Came".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Kins posted:

It was "off-camera" while spending the summer in the forest between "Fire Spike" and "From The Forest She Came".

More specifically, she mentions it on this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=851

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Putting the stars in the sky is likely one of the great many stories humanity has told about Coyote, these stories are what made Coyote exist. Coyote's existence is thus proof that the stories told about him are real. So yes Coyote put the stars in the sky, even though the drat things where there all along.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Or is it more that he honestly believes he put the stars in the sky because he was created from those stories?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Or before Coyote put the stars in the sky, it was just filled with billions of gigantic balls of gas undergoing nuclear fusion.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zemyla posted:

On an odd note, does Jones have a belly button? I can't imagine why she would, other than looking more human.

It kinda looks like she has one here although its hard to tell. Since Tom covered up the relevant bits, I'd assume Jones is, uh, fully human in appearance.

Now lets stop thinking about that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Smelly posted:

Or is it more that he honestly believes he put the stars in the sky because he was created from those stories?

Not really any effective difference between the one thing and the other. The stories were told, Coyote is real, thus he put the stars in the sky.

I'd bet there are a large number of gods running around who created humanity as well.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Or, the past is defined by what people believe it to be just as much as Coyote is. All the creation myths are true, and none of them are true, all at the same time.

Jones exists because humans just cannot conceieve of a time when there were no humans. It's like trying to think about the complete oblivion that comes after death, the mind just rebels against it. And because humans cannot believe in a time before humans, humans have always existed in the form of Jones.

Or I could be completely wrong, but it does neatly explain why a human-shaped thing has been around for millions of years longer than actual humans have.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mr. Vile posted:

Or, the past is defined by what people believe it to be just as much as Coyote is. All the creation myths are true, and none of them are true, all at the same time.

To extrapolate this even further in regards to the rest of your post, all these explanations about what Jones is are true, simultaneously.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

Or before Coyote put the stars in the sky, it was just filled with billions of gigantic balls of gas undergoing nuclear fusion.

I'm going with this one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

UberJew posted:

I'M GOING WITH THIS ONE.

That sounds more like it.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Prison Warden posted:

To extrapolate this even further in regards to the rest of your post, all these explanations about what Jones is are true, simultaneously.

That would explain why Jones claims she has no idea what she is.

"Oh, you want to know what I am? Ok, well there's this internet forum where people talk about comics and try to work out what...uh. You know what, never mind."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I, too, like the 'Coyote defined the Stars in a mythological sense.' It satisfies him putting the stars in the sky as far as his creators are concerned, naming constellations and such, but allows for the scientific notion of stars being there long before life crawled from the seas. I'm almost positive this is where the comic will go.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

UberJew posted:

I'm going with this one.

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
See also: Pyramids, The Last Continent, possibly Small Gods

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

pseudorandom name posted:

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.

The sun would have risen but it wouldn't have been the same.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
My favourite thing about Coyote's "Great Secret" is the increasingly clear implication that he tells it to anyone he meets at the first possible opportunity.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
That's the real reason why Ysengrin was so pissed when he started telling it to Annie. He doesn't actually think it's heretical, he's just sick to loving death of hearing it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mr. Vile posted:

Jones exists because humans just cannot conceieve of a time when there were no humans. It's like trying to think about the complete oblivion that comes after death, the mind just rebels against it. And because humans cannot believe in a time before humans, humans have always existed in the form of Jones.

Or I could be completely wrong, but it does neatly explain why a human-shaped thing has been around for millions of years longer than actual humans have.

I think there's more to it than that.

Let's accept Coyote's story at face value. When humans die, their thoughts become part of the ether and the ether shapes the world.

Now, billions of humans have died and all these humans have different ways of looking at the world. And in those humans, especially those who died in the last few centuries, are those who believe that there's no such thing as mysticism, that a set of logical, natural laws govern all things. Part of that is that those laws have always and forever governed all things.

How would that belief be expressed? Is it implausible to say through a being who learns by observation, emotionlessly, and who has no mystical power except an eternal existence?

edit: A succinct way to put it would be: Jones is an etheric expression of a logical, empirical system of belief about the nature of the universe.

edit: This kind of theory makes Coyote's assertion that the Court is "man's endeavour to become God" pretty drat scary when you think about it.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 27, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nettle Soup posted:

The sun would have risen but it wouldn't have been the same.

For a staunch atheist he really does write alot about the power of faith and belief.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jones isn't a god, unless she is lying, and the beliefs of humans don't retroactively effect the past.

This is easy to figure out, most beliefs about gods place those gods as existing all of the way back to creation, yet according to Jones, they did not.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is a literal scientific history, and there is a belief-based etheric history, which is actually many different things that all contradict each other and themselves.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For a staunch atheist he really does write alot about the power of faith and belief.

Well, understanding the power of belief is a lot different than actually believing.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Part of the appeal of a setting with clearly defined gods is you get to speculate about stuff that's ambiguous in real life. It's pretty fun, I don't blame him.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can't tell whether you're joking or not. It's called "fantasy" for a reason.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Neil Gaiman has done some amazing writing regarding gods, their relationship to humanity and vice-versa. Honestly, Tom quite reminds me of him. And I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't stepped foot in a church in years.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Apropos of nothing, what's the name of the mental disorder/condition where a person thinks his or her art/work is never good enough?

We've talked about it in the thread before, and no, we don't need to discuss it further, I just need the name of the condition.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
...being an artist?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Isn't the opposite Dunning Kruger?

Also I finally got off my rear end and ordered all the books...had to go on ebay for volume 2 since it is stupid rare for no apparent reason, at least compared to 1 and 3.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 27, 2012

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

These subjects are a lot more interesting to staunch atheists than theists. Think about it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Brightman posted:

Isn't the opposite Dunning Kruger?

Also I finally got off my rear end and ordered all the books...had to go on ebay for volume 2 since it is stupid rare for no apparent reason, at least compared to 1 and 3.

The opposite of Dunning-Kruger is Dunning-Kruger. It covers both sides of it.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Osmosisch posted:

These subjects are a lot more interesting to staunch atheists than theists. Think about it.

The problem is that many theists, quite simply, don't think about it.

It's much healthier and beneficial to think things through than simply accept what we're told. Tom is demonstrating that extremely well in this narrative.

Also, Cthulhuchan's response to Dodgeball is just about perfect, and pretty quotable.

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 27, 2012

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Freudian posted:

The opposite of Dunning-Kruger is Dunning-Kruger. It covers both sides of it.

Oh, well I guess that might be the answer then. I think I just see it used so much more in regards to incompetence, with Impostor Syndrome being brought up more for competent people who don't believe that they are.

However in regards to artists Cthulhuchan is dead on in my experience.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Brightman posted:

Oh, well I guess that might be the answer then. I think I just see it used so much more in regards to incompetence, with Impostor Syndrome being brought up more for competent people who don't believe that they are.

However in regards to artists Cthulhuchan is dead on in my experience.

And of course, just like D-K, the opposite of a person who thinks their art is never good enough is also called an artist.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Dodgeball posted:

Apropos of nothing, what's the name of the mental disorder/condition where a person thinks his or her art/work is never good enough?

We've talked about it in the thread before, and no, we don't need to discuss it further, I just need the name of the condition.

You may be thinking of Impostor Syndrome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

POINDEXTRE posted:

You may be thinking of Impostor Syndrome.

I thought it was called "being a grad student"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Oh gently caress me, the volume 2 book I bought on eBay just got refunded...and there's a sold out notice in my inbox...poo poo. Maybe I'll try looking for it locally while I just wait for it to pop up on Topatoco.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Kins posted:

Really? I mean, I guess it doesn't matter so much now that we know Jones' secret, but I can't help at feel annoyed that Annie was using something that was told to her "off-camera" (and mentioned only once in passing) to debate coyote. It lessens the sense of connection if the protagonist we've been following obtains secret knowledge they're not sharing with the reader partway through a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

NecroMonster posted:

Jones isn't a god, unless she is lying, and the beliefs of humans don't retroactively effect the past.

This is easy to figure out, most beliefs about gods place those gods as existing all of the way back to creation, yet according to Jones, they did not.

Yes, this is pretty easy:

Jones experienced the early history of the earth without gods.
Once there were humans around, the gods always existed.

These aren't mutually exclusive and it doesn't have to mean that the past was rewritten either. The way i understand it is that gods are all about the narrative, and their narrative is true for them. Think back to when Coyote plucked the moon from the sky for Annie, that was a really great example how i think the reality of the story works.