Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Trip report:

Last night I played any sort of organized hockey for the first time ever.

I've been to 2 stick times since summer, but that's it.

All the guys at my rink organized a Thanksgiving 3 on 3 tourney with all the employees that wanted to skate.

I felt bad because I am like a little baby deer on ice, but drat I had fun. I even scored the first goal of the night off of a slap pass. :woop:

We played round robin from 10:45pm - 1:45am.

I. Am. Sore.

Good times all in all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We had a Thanksgiving special last night as well. 2 hours straight through consisting of 15 guys from my instructional, the coach and his son, the zamboni guy, and a few add ons. Great skate, and had someone's ipod plugged in to the house system for tunes. Plenty of room for turkey today, thats for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you actually like music blaring while playing? I've tried with music going a couple times and hated every minute of it.. can't hear your teammates, can't hear any audible cues of what's going on around you.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

xzzy posted:

Do you actually like music blaring while playing? I've tried with music going a couple times and hated every minute of it.. can't hear your teammates, can't hear any audible cues of what's going on around you.

blaring? no

But playing at a reasonable level during a casual game? yeah, music makes everything more fun.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Since it was more of a fun game then an actual game, I did enjoy it. The "everything Van Halen did up until 5150" playlist was a good choice too. :rock:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

kill me now posted:

music makes everything more fun.

I have to disagree with this. Many times at work, music would make things much much worse.

As a different way of putting it, listening to PARTY ROCK ANTHEM for 10th time in the same night blaring so loud you can't even hear yourself think loving blows. Maybe I'm just getting old.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

JetsGuy posted:

I have to disagree with this. Many times at work, music would make things much much worse.

As a different way of putting it, listening to PARTY ROCK ANTHEM for 10th time in the same night blaring so loud you can't even hear yourself think loving blows. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I specifically said no, blaring music is bad.

I also said that music played at a reasonable level during a casual game makes everything(at that casual game) more fun... :spergin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only "goofy" thing I've enjoyed so far is someone bringing a case of beer, dropping it on the ref's crease when we step on the ice, and awarding it to whichever team "wins" the game.

But since no one keeps score, everyone just chugs beer when they get tired.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

kill me now posted:

I specifically said no, blaring music is bad.

kill me now posted:

I also said that music played at a reasonable level during a casual game makes everything(at that casual game) more fun... :spergin:

Well, when you said "everything"... :spergin:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:negative: I can't loving buy a goal this season. Part of it is playing on a team with some guys who don't pass too often, part of it is not getting the shot I need to take when I have the chance, part of it is pure dumb luck with overweight goalies lunging cross-crease to swipe it out of the air with a glove or flailing around and getting half an inch of the puck with their pad to send it just off the side of the post.

I've had some assists, and even more screens on goals from parking my rear end out front, but goddamnit cut me some slack hockey gods!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Practice not shooting the puck in the air for them to swipe at and you'll be ready to go for what's really important :unsmith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

Anyway, here's what I was talking about :

How my upper hand is usually placed:

This usually ends up with the mid of the blade on the ice unless I keep my elbow up quite a bit.

Here's how much I have to "turn" the stick to get it to lie flat with my normal elbow position:
\

...but the result is the blade looks like this, which seems way to closed to me.

I just grabbed my stick and held it out infront of me, when I'm just standing there the toe is off the ground, and the stick is resting on the back half of the blade.

For reference, the top outside corner of the blade sits basically right in the crease of my palm, hard to tell what you are doing with the glove on.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
So my men's league team played against a team with a guy who played in the WHL just last season. We managed to mostly shut him down, 1G 3A, which apparently is a pretty low point total for him. But the guy was a total douche. The game went to a shootout, he ended up getting stoned by our goalie (pokecheck :c00l:), they still won, and then he refused to shake hands after the game. When another player on my team went by him and said "Hey man, good game" he told him to gently caress off.

Oh, and this is in Div 7... 7 out of 8.

the last signal... fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Real talk, I probably would've hosed with him all game.

edit: and probably afterwards too.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 25, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's probably pissed off at life in general.. the realization that he's never going to make the NHL has started to sink in and he's not happy with the fact that the most prestigious trophy he's ever going to get playing hockey is a case of beer.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Last weekend I reffed a peewee tier II game with a team from LA with Valeri Bure coaching it, alone. A couple of observations:

1) probably like 6 kids on the team were better than his kid and his kid still started at center

2) his team was awesome as long as the puck was lower than the hashmarks in their offensive zone. then it fell to poo poo as soon as it got near the defense and in their defensive zone so they lost like 8-5

3) he didn't shake hands with the other team nor the officials after the game.

conclusions: Pavel's kid probably plays tier I and lol the Russian coached team plays no defense.

In other news: This past weekend my women's team won the tournament we went to, 6 games in 50 hours and the worst we did was a 0-0 tie when we were all hung over as poo poo and short a few people. I think in the 6 games our goalie maybe got 75 shots total and allowed 4 goals. We scored 22. It was a ridiculous amount of ownage.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 26, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

He's probably pissed off at life in general.. the realization that he's never going to make the NHL has started to sink in and he's not happy with the fact that the most prestigious trophy he's ever going to get playing hockey is a case of beer.

I have nothing good to say about a man who'd be upset about winning a case of beer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hockey Monkey sales:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/cyber-monday.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Holy poo poo I wish I had $$ to spend on gear right now. As it is, some unexpected purchases are probably going to have to prevent me from buying those sweet deals on those sticks I was talking about.

:argh: CAR REPAIRS!! :argh:

ICE WAREHOUSE HAS A 20% OFF EVERYTHING SALE
enter in "cyber20" as your coupon code

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 26, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I have nothing good to say about a man who'd be upset about winning a case of beer.

Imagine what you'd think about that case of beer if you'd spent most of your life thinking you'd have a shot at the stanley cup. :v:

I mean, you don't get into the WHL being a weekend warrior. Not justifying him being an rear end, but he's certainly put in the time and is probably pretty bitter that it got him nothing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It got him a couple years of free post-secondary if he never went further than the WHL so he should shut his mouth and stop being such a bitch about it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

ICE WAREHOUSE HAS A 20% OFF EVERYTHING SALE
enter in "cyber20" as your coupon code

Still not applicable to MAP gear, so it's about the same as the other 20% deals running recently or the 15% deal running at Hockey Giant.

xzzy posted:

Imagine what you'd think about that case of beer if you'd spent most of your life thinking you'd have a shot at the stanley cup. :v:

I mean, you don't get into the WHL being a weekend warrior. Not justifying him being an rear end, but he's certainly put in the time and is probably pretty bitter that it got him nothing.

Wait, are you seriously trying to explain a dude being a douche because he has played a long time? A bunch of us have played the same amount of time since we were kids and you don't see us going around being dickholes and generally disrespectful because we didn't get to be 6'3" or got our brains scrambled one too many times.

Using that logic: Shaking hands after the game comes from the top down. So if you think you should have been an NHLer you should do the easiest part -- act like one. You should also do this if you're a decent, relatively well balanced adult.

I think Pleads said it best: he should just shut up.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy poo poo these must be some badass gloves if their regular price is $1536.97.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Still not applicable to MAP gear, so it's about the same as the other 20% deals running recently or the 15% deal running at Hockey Giant.

Yeah I just realized this, I immediately started putting in stuff I've been eyeing greedily and none of them qualified.

If I had a spare 500$, I'd buy some 7.0s, but whateva.

xzzy posted:

Holy poo poo these must be some badass gloves if their regular price is $1536.97.

For $1500, those gloves better loving float in the air and give handjobs to their owner.

That or be possessed by (name your favorite NHL goal scorer) and take control of the puck for you.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I mean, look, I understand he's frustrated. However, like 99.9% of athletes in the world, he didn't have what it took to play in the top league. I mean, it's easy for me to say this because I've always known I'd never be a world-class athlete, but it's time for him to accept that while he's a great player, he's not a world-class player.

As Sellouts and Pleads both said though, that gives him no license to be an rear end to guys in SOL, especially when he's in D7 of 8. Unless this league is opposite all other leagues I've heard of that means he's playing with beginners and middle-aged guys just out there to have some fun.

gently caress him.

Also, no one who got free college because they were good at a sport should be terribly angry at the world. My undergraduate education cost $160,000. That's not even including textbooks and things like living expenses.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah I just realized this, I immediately started putting in stuff I've been eyeing greedily and none of them qualified.

If I had a spare 500$, I'd buy some 7.0s, but whateva.

Keep an eye out -- gear does come off of MAP as the new gear comes out. Obviously not a good time for that currently but if you've got eyes on the 7.0s when the 7.1s or whatever come out all discounts will apply. You just have to be quick / keep trying the various codes to get them as they have your size. It works well for incremental upgrades that you don't need immediately and can wait on.

Also if you want anything that isn't gear (a gear dryer, equip rack, apparel, etc) it'll work. I saved 20% on my gear dryer that works incredibly well and it just came out a few months ago.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

Also, no one who got free college because they were good at a sport should be terribly angry at the world. My undergraduate education cost $160,000. That's not even including textbooks and things like living expenses.

It is a lot of work to get good enough at a sport to get college paid for and then it's a lot of work to play a sport at a high level and keep your grades high enough to keep getting it paid for. Not that I'm saying this guy has reason to be a douchebag to beginner beer leaguers, but it really isn't something to be dismissive of.

Also, you chose to go to a school that cost that much for undergrad. Most schools that cost that much don't really give out large numbers of athletic scholarships from my experience so no need to be goony about it.

FFS my 4 year professional doctoral tuition comes to less than that and I'm at one of the most expensive state schools.

Anyway a dude who's a douchebag is gonna be a douchebag regardless of context. This is independent of whether he was a torn ACL away from making the NHL or whether he just started two months ago. This guy sounds like a douchebag. Sorry you had to deal with a douchebag, it sucks.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 26, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

It is a lot of work to get good enough at a sport to get college paid for and then it's a lot of work to play a sport at a high level and keep your grades high enough to keep getting it paid for. Not that I'm saying this guy has reason to be a douchebag to beginner beer leaguers, but it really isn't something to be dismissive of.

Also, you chose to go to a school that cost that much for undergrad. Most schools that cost that much don't really give out large numbers of athletic scholarships from my experience so no need to be goony about it.

FFS my 4 year professional doctoral tuition comes to less than that and I'm at one of the most expensive state schools.

Anyway a dude who's a douchebag is gonna be a douchebag regardless of context. This is independent of whether he was a torn ACL away from making the NHL or whether he just started two months ago. This guy sounds like a douchebag. Sorry you had to deal with a douchebag, it sucks.

Goony? Where did I say he wasn't a hard worker? I never even insinuated that he was just loafing around. It *would* be goony to say that he was just sitting around partying and not practicing his rear end off. Goony would be like the people who think pro football players only work one day a week. Athletes that are that good obviously work their goddamned asses off and I'm not saying anything to the contrary. Yeah, you need to have the blessing of some natural talent, but cultivating that talent is a tremendous amount of work.

Yeah, I went to an especially expensive school, but even the more moderately priced colleges cost a LOT of money. Most people in this world don't get a lot in the way of scholarships (even academic ones), so getting free college is a pretty huge deal.

I got *paid* to get my PhD as a result of all my hard work leading up to (and including my BS), so it paid off for me too. Grad school was a living hell, but I'll never act like the world owes me something because the fact is, I was quite blessed to have the ability to be in the program.

This guy acting like the world owes him to low-level beer leagues is dumb as poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, we don't know why he was an rear end in a top hat. I was just making up theories. :v:

For all we know he's a dick because that's how he was born.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah, I went to an especially expensive school, but even the more moderately priced colleges cost a LOT of money. Most people in this world don't get a lot in the way of scholarships (even academic ones), so getting free college is a pretty huge deal.

I got *paid* to get my PhD as a result of all my hard work leading up to (and including my BS), so it paid off for me too. Grad school was a living hell, but I'll never act like the world owes me something because the fact is, I was quite blessed to have the ability to be in the program.

Congratulations? (I don't know a single Ph.D. student who isn't/wasn't paid to get a Ph.D., $40k/year undergrad tuition or not, but I'm not interested in some kind of 'who works harder' pissing match.)

quote:

This guy acting like the world owes him to low-level beer leagues is dumb as poo poo.

Um yeah I'm pretty sure I said he seems like a douchebag and probably just because he's a douchebag.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

Congratulations? (I don't know a single Ph.D. student who isn't/wasn't paid to get a Ph.D., $40k/year undergrad tuition or not, but I'm not interested in some kind of 'who works harder' pissing match.)

I'm not exactly sure what I did to piss you off, but you always seem to take issue with me, so I'm sorry for whatever it is I did?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Things are getting chippy in this thread

Come at me Xzzy!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

I'm not exactly sure what I did to piss you off, but you always seem to take issue with me, so I'm sorry for whatever it is I did?

I think we just disagree on poo poo a lot. It's cool.

want to have a pitcher and talk poo poo about sellouts and xzzy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Things are getting chippy in this thread

Come at me Xzzy!

You'll never see me coming.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I don't think your custom wood sticks could hold up to that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

You need custom state-of-the-art, genetically modified skates that work with your cyborg/mutant feet before you can do that.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

Holding the stick that way explains your lovely shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:drat:

I can't even pick which burn to respond to.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

I think we just disagree on poo poo a lot. It's cool.

want to have a pitcher and talk poo poo about sellouts and xzzy?

:hfive: done.

xzzy posted:

Hey xzzy, I think I figured out why you have so much of a problem with "lace bite". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

the last signal... posted:

So my men's league team played against a team with a guy who played in the WHL just last season. We managed to mostly shut him down, 1G 3A, which apparently is a pretty low point total for him. But the guy was a total douche. The game went to a shootout, he ended up getting stoned by our goalie (pokecheck :c00l:), they still won, and then he refused to shake hands after the game. When another player on my team went by him and said "Hey man, good game" he told him to gently caress off.

Oh, and this is in Div 7... 7 out of 8.

Just curious, are you sure this guy played in the WHL?

The reason I ask this is because I've played with a number of ex-CHL/ECHL guys and they can pretty much score at will on anyone less than a B-league goalie. The B-league goalies usually force them to make one fewer move.

Also, "Pros" (I'll use airquotes for the WHL) are usually really nice. The way they become douchebags is that they become frustrated and then they start...y'know...trying.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 27, 2012