Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCarrillo
Nov 27, 2012

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Picked up my 2013 WRX on Monday ending my streak of only owning Volkswagens and Audis. First thing I noticed is that the stock radio is garbage. Then I noticed that I didn't need the radio because the rumble coming from the engine bay is the greatest noise ever. I'm planning to keep the car mostly stock throughout the warranty period and then build for 300ish awhp. For now though I'm looking at replacing the stock radio and possibly putting on the SPT exhaust. I'm trying to find anyone local to me that has the SPT exhaust because I'd like to hear it in person rather than forking over a grand for something that's going to be obnoxiously loud. Anyone have any opinions on the SPT exhaust?

Also we tend to have nasty winters here so the roads are always littered with salt and gravel, will Rally Armor mudflaps be helpful in preventing paint chips on the sides of the car? My GTI had tons of white dots down the sides from salt and stones.

Bonus pictures (yes, "boy racer blue" and a sedan :unsmigghh:)

That's the first thing I noticed, too. I initially didn't have the radio on because, yeah, I wanted to hear it sing to me through each gear change, but it is practically useless. There's no way I can play any hip-hop or jazz out of these speakers. So, it's punk and public radio until they're upgraded.

I'm not impressed with the bluetooth integration or how I can't charge my iPhone and run music from through USB at the same time either. The whole head unit is poor, and I hear the infotainment system isn't better.

This is my first Subaru and first newly purchased vehicle. Going from a van and 2 econoboxes is a staggering upgrade, and it's made every commute to and from work, even in brutal LA traffic, and even with all the tech shortcomings, an absolute regret free joy.

If you see a pearl white WRX driving responsibly down the 105, that's me trying to keep WRX insurance costs down and watering down the prevalent stereotype that says all WRX drivers are flat brim hat wearing douche bags.

I'm love struck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

WRX != STi fitment.

STi's use a 5x114.5 lug pattern whereas all other WRX/Legacy/etc fitments are 5x100.

The suspension in my LGT is starting to get noisy, and being less than an oil change from 70k miles, it probably wouldn't hurt to start looking into options to refresh it. The car is 99% highway/commuting/baby hauler duties, so I don't want to go crazy replacing springs or doing coil-overs - just looking at "stock replacement" shock options mostly. Bilstein? Tokico?

I like Bilsteins. I haven't had them on the legacy (I have on other cars), but they seem to fit your needs. You don't seem like someone who would benefit from the adjust-ability of the konis. Generally I like the way bilstiens ride over konis.
Also, if you're keeping the car for a very long time, the Bilstien lifetime warranty is pretty legit. 80k later, they'll rebuild them or replace them in my experience. (For the record, RCE is the same on the somewhat higher end for warranty coverage).

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

nm posted:

I like Bilsteins. I haven't had them on the legacy (I have on other cars), but they seem to fit your needs. You don't seem like someone who would benefit from the adjust-ability of the konis. Generally I like the way bilstiens ride over konis.
Also, if you're keeping the car for a very long time, the Bilstien lifetime warranty is pretty legit. 80k later, they'll rebuild them or replace them in my experience. (For the record, RCE is the same on the somewhat higher end for warranty coverage).

A couple of years ago I spent about $100/corner to have Koni rebuild and revalve some 1968 vintage shocks out of my 911. They seem pretty good about supporting their products. I've got them in my '66 Mustang too, and I'll probably upgrade the WRX eventually.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bruinator posted:

A couple of years ago I spent about $100/corner to have Koni rebuild and revalve some 1968 vintage shocks out of my 911. They seem pretty good about supporting their products. I've got them in my '66 Mustang too, and I'll probably upgrade the WRX eventually.

I meant rebuild or replace for free.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

That's the first thing I noticed, too. I initially didn't have the radio on because, yeah, I wanted to hear it sing to me through each gear change, but it is practically useless. There's no way I can play any hip-hop or jazz out of these speakers. So, it's punk and public radio until they're upgraded.

I'm not impressed with the bluetooth integration or how I can't charge my iPhone and run music from through USB at the same time either. The whole head unit is poor, and I hear the infotainment system isn't better.

This is my first Subaru and first newly purchased vehicle. Going from a van and 2 econoboxes is a staggering upgrade, and it's made every commute to and from work, even in brutal LA traffic, and even with all the tech shortcomings, an absolute regret free joy.

If you see a pearl white WRX driving responsibly down the 105, that's me trying to keep WRX insurance costs down and watering down the prevalent stereotype that says all WRX drivers are flat brim hat wearing douche bags.

I'm love struck.

I have the 6 speaker system in my 2012 Impreza. I'm not sure if its the same speakers, but the sound over FM is really terrible and empty vs other cars I have had. Audio over bluetooth isn't terrible, and a bit bassy if anything. The one thing I hate is the bluetooth phone calling forces you to go through Subaru's calling system, and doesn't work like a normal bluetooth headset. My phone's voice recognition is way more intelligent than Subaru's.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

Thanks for the info. I haven't done much digging yet, but just going off of that, this may very well be the way to go. Ultimately, I won't be doing the work. It'd be a mechanic buddy who helps me out for cheap. I COULD probably go the Koni route but the lifetime warranty of the Bilstein's certainly has its perks. You're spot on about adjust-ability - it would be lost on this car (as much as I would like to think otherwise... I haven't autocrossed in years, and never done a track day. Were I to start all over again, I'd want something dedicated to that purpose instead of risking a needed commuter car).

While we are at it - what needs to be done while this is going on. Top hats? inspect bushings and motor mounts - anything else that stands out? Vt has pretty standard/intensive safety inspections, so ball joints and tie-rods are regularly checked...

Thanks for the awesome feedback so far guys.

edit for grammar :v:

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 27, 2012

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The stock Subaru head unit is totally awful and changing it out for something decent makes a night and day difference.

AlexanderCarrillo
Nov 27, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I have the 6 speaker system in my 2012 Impreza. I'm not sure if its the same speakers, but the sound over FM is really terrible and empty vs other cars I have had. Audio over bluetooth isn't terrible, and a bit bassy if anything. The one thing I hate is the bluetooth phone calling forces you to go through Subaru's calling system, and doesn't work like a normal bluetooth headset. My phone's voice recognition is way more intelligent than Subaru's.

Ooo, I don't like that either. I've been in a few cars with integrated bluetooth system and almost all of them pull from your phone's contacts list.

I've avoided using the car's. I don't want to enter a bunch of numbers and names by voice, especially on that voice recognition software.

I bought a dock for my phone and planted it on the dash. I just hold down the iPhone home button and use Siri to bypass it. The bluetooth automatically activates once she's activated. It's annoying that you can't access her or any other voice recognition software systems from other phones from the wheel. I'm sure it's going to get me a ticket one of these days.

Maybe swapping out the head unit for an aftermarket one with a better feature set is the best solution. I'm just concerned the wheel buttons will cease to function. If anyone can enlighten me on that, I'd appreciate it.

Like I said, though, that whole thing was poorly thought out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

The stock Subaru head unit is totally awful and changing it out for something decent makes a night and day difference.

Personally I just listen to the boxer rumble. Best soundtrack.

ANNNNNYWAY

Any word on what to look out for on a 08 WRX? Kinda beginning the hunt for a DD early next year, from what I heard a 08 is a nice cruiser (and if I want to go fast well not like I aint got a few options in the driveway)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hey guys, remember I was concerned after finding/fixing that silly boost leak, in addition to moving to 91 only octane out in KS.

I reset the ECU a while back and let it re-learn, anything here to be concerned about?

(I cleared the p1507, it came up after being parked at the airport for a week)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
1507 is your idle air valve, I got the same one. Probably needs cleaning out, remember to buy the gasket before you take it off.
That doesn't help if it never comes back, but just in case you care.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I just hit 30k on my stock '06 Outback XT and am getting ready to tackle the recommended service items. What spark plugs should I use to replace the current (most likely OEM) ones? I know changing them will be a bit of a pain so I'll block out a lazy Sunday to do the work.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

My mechanic and dealership both insisted on using the OEM plugs in my 02 WRX.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Whats a reasonable sounding axel back exhaust?
I have 3" pipe from the turbo, and the actual muffler is basically just a shiny glasspack. I need something a little quieter and less droney.
I could get a borla hush I guess, how are those? Do they have 3" input?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You could try adding a resonator. Otherwise my goto for a not loud 3" exhaust is the Invidia Q300.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invidia-Q300-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Subaru-WRX-STI-2002-2007

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 28, 2012

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

jamal posted:

You could try adding a resonator. Otherwise my goto for a not loud 3" exhaust is the Invidia Q300.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invidia-Q300-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Subaru-WRX-STI-2002-2007

I wonder what it would sound like without the resonator. My midpipe is probably super custom at this point, as my downpipe is all hacked up. The bolts may line up for the axle back. Doesn't look like you get a discount for buying just the last part of the exhaust though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The resonator goes a long way to kill drone. I would be trying to fit the largest fucker in there possible if the noise is bothering you.

Also, a 3" highflow cat will quiet down a bit too and help with that emissions thing you need to do.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah in that case unless you want to spend time messing with getting the downpipe to fit more cutting and welding might be the solution. Vibrant makes this and some that are bigger
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1054&products_id=293

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

Maybe swapping out the head unit for an aftermarket one with a better feature set is the best solution. I'm just concerned the wheel buttons will cease to function. If anyone can enlighten me on that, I'd appreciate it.

Like I said, though, that whole thing was poorly thought out.

I'm about to swap out the headunit and front speakers on my crosstrek so I've already done a lot of research into it. To get steering wheel controls, you need a deck the supports it first off (some decks don't support all bluetooth phone controls, but you usually get at least two of the buttons. Other swc buttons should all work.) Then you buy Metra's Axxess ASWC thing and a harness from this guy: http://ae64.com/20-pin-pinout.htm He has a shitload of info on doing the install and can hook you up with all the necessary bits. The harness and SWC unit from Metra run about $65 or so. Buy the Axxess from him since he'll make sure it has the latest firmware and will reflash it for shipping costs if there's ever an upgrade (his prices are good too).

Crutchfield for some reason claims that the cars don't fit double din headunits, but they definitely do fit. Metra and Scosche both make dash kits. The Scosche one looks far better made and is probably the way to go.

There are some kinks depending on your particular headunit, but it's pretty straightforward thanks to that dude's guide.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This gets brought up pretty often but a friend just posted this on facebook so I thought I'd share:

The cat dislodged and sent pieces through the turbo. If you have an 02-05 WRX or Legacy GT with a catted up-pipe, you might want to get rid of it sometime soon.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

The cat dislodged and sent pieces through the turbo. If you have an 02-05 WRX or Legacy GT with a catted up-pipe, you might want to get rid of it sometime soon.

First thing I did when I bought my 2003 was replace the up pipe. Got a take off from an STI off of nasioc for like $50.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
If anyone needs one Ill sell the one that I got with the brand new gaskets for $60. Never got around to installing it before I broke the old engine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even thinking of doing anything with 11 year old western PA exhaust bolts makes me scream in horror far more than the prospect of destroying a turbo.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Found a decent fix for the stock WRX radio.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38435221&postcount=37

It made the FM much more bearable and my ipod actually sounds pretty good with Loud Off and Through Mode.

In other news I decided to get rid of the badges on the boot because I foresaw myself having a horrible time cleaning and waxing around them. Joke's on me though because there's some ghosting left behind now. There's even a mark from the dealership's vinyl sticker (that I told them not to place on the car :argh:.) I haven't tried clay barring the area yet or polishing. I only had time to throw on a quick coat of wax before heading to work.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I used Goo Gone automotive remover + turtle wax and a soft towel, there's no shadow or ghosting.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

blindjoe posted:

If anyone needs one Ill sell the one that I got with the brand new gaskets for $60. Never got around to installing it before I broke the old engine.

Would that fit an '06 Outback XT?

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Found a decent fix for the stock WRX radio.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38435221&postcount=37

It made the FM much more bearable and my ipod actually sounds pretty good with Loud Off and Through Mode.

Nothing is as bad as the factory head unit in mine, since it is combined with the climate control and can't easily be replaced with an aftermarket one. I settled for hacking in an aux input. I didn't use the blank CD method since it sounded horrible and needed the volume to max. I worked out my own solution involving tapping into radio lines and adding a switch to flip between radio and aux. Works really well.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have a spare Metra 70-8901 (or similar) radio harness for a 93-01 Impreza? I'm changing the radio from the sweet OE Clarion tape deck, and would prefer to not destroy the stock harness.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

Anyone have a spare Metra 70-8901 (or similar) radio harness for a 93-01 Impreza? I'm changing the radio from the sweet OE Clarion tape deck, and would prefer to not destroy the stock harness.

The ae64.com site pointed out earlier has tons of great radio information and harnesses for Subarus. Check out http://ae64.com/WRXfwdharness.htm for the harness you're looking for. I have not ordered from the site but the harnesses include pins typically missing from other manufacturers.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

DJ Commie posted:

$9 on amazon and it's prime eligible: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-8901-93-Impreza-Vehicle/dp/B0002BEQL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354205295&sr=8-1&keywords=70-8901

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Hillridge posted:

Would that fit an '06 Outback XT?

Pretty sure that your car already has a catless uppipe.
Its just the first two years of wrx that had them. Plus legacy gt's I guess?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought all 02-05/2.0L WRXes had them, only 2.5L WRXes don't.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
My 04 Forester XT had a catted uppipe too.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

I can not get a break. So bloody angry, the car was perfect and I loved it. :(

Can anyone do a quick damage assessment? On the upside I know I'm not at fault.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Totalled.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

daslog posted:

Totalled.
Yup, it's done.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Timing covers broken?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Chiwie posted:

Can anyone do a quick damage assessment? On the upside I know I'm not at fault.

Not totalled, quite fixable - It's gonna cost a fair whack tho. Straighten front rails, replace panels etc.

I think it's touch or go wether the assessor will think it's worth the effort, I've seen worse repaired.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Need a donor for the beast, CT? :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sockington posted:

Need a donor for the beast, CT? :v:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's just cruel to my poor fellow Aussie Subie fanatic.

(Never honestly crossed my mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cat Terrist posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's just cruel to my poor fellow Aussie Subie fanatic.

(Never honestly crossed my mind)

I totally have dibs on the wreck if it's out of action CT. :P

But yeah that's good to hear that it might be fixable. Dunno about the timing covers jamal.