Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niff
Jul 4, 2010
what is this about AO being on steam?! i can not find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And it's getting an engine update!...

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's what we were talking about last time I posted in this thread, like two years ago.

For real, though, I can not find any updates on the Steam thing since Oct 1st. Although ~2 months is high expectations for Funcom news.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Hey this thread's soon 4 years old! :toot: Soon it's old enough to understand what's been written inside it and will kill itself.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Once it gets the engine update I am sure we can resurrect the goon guild!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

ElBrak posted:

Once it gets the engine update I am sure we can resurrect the goon guild!

Yeah, all three and a half of us that still know the game exists. :allears: And as long as the engine update comes with a reduction to monthly fee. I was just strolling through some patch notes from this year and

quote:

Breed change is now sold in the itemshop.
Gender Change is now sold in the itemshop.
Side Change is now sold in the itemshop.
Faction Increase is now sold in the itemshop.
Premium XP buff nano is now sold in the itemshop.
Premium Grid nano is now sold in the itemshop.
New buff cans are now sold in the itemshop.
Nascence, Elysium, Scheol, Adonis, Penumbra and Inferno Garden Access are now sold in the itemshop.
Premium Nano and Healing Kit is now sold in the itemshop.
The window for item shop should no longer be possible to expand beyond shop size.
Neutral Side Change is now sold in the itemshop.
Redeemed and Unredeemed Faction packages are now sold in the itemshop.
Heckler juice is now sold in the itemshop.
Rubi-Ka Recall Beacon, Shadowlands Recall Beacon, Insurance Claim Recall Beacon are now sold in the item shop.

Usually games either have an everything-goes itemshop OR a 15€ monthly fee. Not both.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...
I'm pretty sure everyone who has ever heard of this game is going to be long dead by the time the new engine comes out.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
/me waves.

Haven't played regularly since spring and recently let my paid account lapse. See youse ingame sometime, I hope.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Fewd posted:

Yeah, all three and a half of us that still know the game exists. :allears: And as long as the engine update comes with a reduction to monthly fee. I was just strolling through some patch notes from this year and

Usually games either have an everything-goes itemshop OR a 15€ monthly fee. Not both.

Yeah this is just shameful as hell on their part. They probably realize the game is dying so they'll just try and milk the largest amount of cash they can from the dwindling playerbase before the whole thing comes crashing down. I really liked this game, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay a monthly fee for the privileged of being able to use a loving pay to win cash shop.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Funcom: WE POOR.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Arriviste from #anarchy-online? I thought you dieded!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
What the hell is Heckler Juice

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
It literally gives you xp when you use it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hahahaha oh god I hate funcom so, so much.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

tentacles posted:

Arriviste from #anarchy-online? I thought you dieded!

Missed you, Lovey-arms.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Fifteen new posts in the AO thread? Something must have happened with Steam or the engine update! Right? Right?

:smith:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't get how this is suddenly going to be a game that's worth playing just because its on steam. You can download it and play it for "free" right now if you enjoy being locked out of half of the game and with the most blatant pay to win cash shop probably of any MMO yet.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 26, 2012

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
What do people do in AO these days? I played back when Shadowlands and later AI was new, and pretty much ended up doing daily The Beast raids and basically burning out on 6 hour long mass PVPs.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Does sitting at Borealis or trade grid, occasionally rolling a ridiculously twinked alt, count as doing something?

I'd do that if I didn't have issues with the sub fee.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Spending a couple billion on a new subway alt.

:shepface:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

Spending a couple billion on a new subway alt.

:shepface:
Can I still sell concrete pillows for 400k a pair after spending 45 minutes just rolling missions with an external tool? :shepface:

Stay classy, AO.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

ahmeni posted:

Can I still sell concrete pillows for 400k a pair after spending 45 minutes just rolling missions with an external tool? :shepface:

Stay classy, AO.

No, you buy tradable things from the pay-to-win shop and sell them for hundreds of millions.

Classy as an elven buttplug.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

No, you buy tradable things from the pay-to-win shop and sell them for hundreds of millions.

Hundreds of millions!

:negative:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not even joking.

I last played about a year ago and it seemed popular among the new players to buy the token board packs and sell those. I think the 1k token pack went for around 300-500 million, forget how much exactly.

Clicksaving missions for credits is so passé

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I know you're not joking, I bought so many of those token packs for my alts because gently caress grinding tokens.

For fake money, that is. Some other poor schmuck can pay up 30 bucks for tokens. God I hate funcom

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I don't even get why people are in such a hurry to get the tokens. The daily missions are literally throwing tokens out of every orifice and in the end you got thousands upon thousands more than you ever wanted.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

I don't even get why people are in such a hurry to get the tokens. The daily missions are literally throwing tokens out of every orifice and in the end you got thousands upon thousands more than you ever wanted.

Because I want my NCU now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I still have weird stuff in my bank that used to sell like hotcakes, like Nelly Johnson's Little Black Dress.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So i was doing a little cleaning of a box of old dvd cases and what not and found the AI preorder box.

I had a look inside and there i found the Leet pet AI preorder bonus code. Does this code still work?
And does anyone want it?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Was poking around today and apparently theyre merging rk1 and 2 finally.. Hmmmm.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conquistador posted:

Was poking around today and apparently theyre merging rk1 and 2 finally.. Hmmmm.

Only about 6 years later than they should have, about time. I'll have to login and see if my account still works/is bugged.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
:negative: Where's my update funcom?

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
There is no greater pain than seeing this thread with unread posts and clicking on it while knowing in the back of your mind that nothing has changed at all...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wonder what will happen with all the conflicting names.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

Dick Trauma posted:

The RK1 character will probably keep the name and the RK2 one will probably have to change it on login.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I wish they just scrapped this game 5 years ago and made an Anarchy Online 2 with a brand new sweet engine instead of this "upgrade" which still has the game looking like poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AO2 won't happen any time soon, sadly. They're relatively cash strapped and the Lego MMO's being done first.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

AO2 won't happen any time soon, sadly. They're relatively cash strapped and the Lego MMO's being done first.

I don't know that it is sad. Funcom is just a terrible terrible company that lucked into building a really good system for PvP/twinking. I'm pretty sure nobody still plays this game for anything else. The Pay-to-win aspect is horrid, the PvM is incredibly bad, there are bugs that have been around for a decade that nobody bothered to fix, skills that do literally nothing, like Riposte, Parry and Swimming, broken mechanics, some of the worst profession balance out there, and core required content that you can't get anybody to do anymore since everybody who still plays this game got hooked 6 years ago and just can't give it up. I still spend a strange amount of time thinking about this game, because it was incredibly good while it lasted, but it is done. Give it up now. Funcom is a terrible developer. I wish someone else would make a game with 'twinking' the way AO had, because that was the only fun thing about this game. Everything now is terrible.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Swimming isn't useless, you take that back

TheQuietWilds posted:

I wish someone else would make a game with 'twinking' the way AO had, because that was the only fun thing about this game.

Welcome to gaming in 2013 I guess :(

Developers seem to refuse letting people twink like AO and reasons aren't too hard to figure out either.

If things aren't utterly and pristinely balanced in a modern game, you can bet your butt that the feedback and crying is going to be so hard it'll melt the skin off from the most seasoned of developers.

Other big reason would probably be casuals. Whether we like it or not, they are numerous, have money and companies like money. Billy-Mary the responsible family guy who can only play 10 minutes a week simply cannot be forced into doing high level math, like adding, only to equip items and be competitive in pvp.

Dick Trauma posted:

Most likely the more recent login gets to keep his in a desperate attempt to force some old timers to renew their sub and log in. Wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Fewd posted:

Swimming isn't useless, you take that back

Swimming is a skill nobody knows they have until you fall into water for the first time and start swimming at a speed of approximately 0.

God I miss this game.

• Locked thread