Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This looks like Jack's going to become Lord English, controlled by Caliborn.

As if Jack would ever agree to wear that garish-rear end coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
What makes you think Jack will become Lord English and not the SOCK PUPPET for Lord English/Caliborn/whoever?

How and why I...don't know, but it's an idea anyway.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
^^^ Yeah, what he said. ^^^

I imagine Jack might wind up becoming the host for LE in this universe.

tinaun posted:

Everyone's favorite troper brony liveblogger just made a fansong. It's about as good as you'd expect.

I'm scared to listen to it. :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I imagine Jack might wind up becoming the host for LE in this universe.

I'm pretty sure he's not already here in this case.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do wonder what will happen if/when LE finally comes face to face with some Jack. Slick wanted to kill him, and if anything LE would probably have been a big fan of Bec Noir's work.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hussie, you're a jerk. Always ending things when I want to find out things! On the upside, the weather's staying consistently cold here, so I'm getting more opportunity to wear my homestuck hoodies. :sbahj:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The problem with Homestuck hoodies is that i really want to buy one at some point but then i can never decide on an aspect. This has been screwing me over for weeks. :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'm scared to listen to it. :ohdear:

It's to the tune of "How To Save A Life"

:ughh:

e/ Which is to say, an instrumental version of that song is playing in the background; there is nothing about his singing that could be related to the concept of "tune" in any positive sense.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 27, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Okay now I'm laughing. Also he's got lyrics up, so I don't even have to listen to it.

Yeah, I'd say my avatar pretty much sums up my feelings on whatever the gently caress that was.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I think he might have pitch-shifted his voice, because it doesn't quite sound natural. Still, rather appropriate for the recent updates, since its all about finding and killing Hussie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tinaun posted:

Everyone's favorite troper brony liveblogger just made a fansong. It's about as good as you'd expect.

This is the voice of someone who sings along with the radio alone in the car and thinks "yes I am a very good singer."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

English really needs a word for "cringing at the potential future-embarrassment of another". I don't think I'm going to be about to listen to this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bobulus posted:

English really needs a word for "cringing at the potential future-embarrassment of another". I don't think I'm going to be about to listen to this.

Schadencringe?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bobulus posted:

Minority report style schadenfreude?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's to the tune of "How To Save A Life"

:ughh:

I'm not gonna listen to it to find out how, because I'm reading the lyrics and trying to fit them to the melody as I know it and they just will not scan

Also, GJ rhyming "thing" with "burning" duder :thumbsup:

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 27, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rasamune posted:

I'm not gonna listen to it to find out how, because I'm reading the lyrics and trying to fit them to the melody as I know it and they just will not scan

The first time I just read the lyrics, the first tune (and singing style) to pop into my head was Boxman. The reality is still hilarious, but for completely different reasons.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Technique posted:

The problem with Homestuck hoodies is that i really want to buy one at some point but then i can never decide on an aspect. This has been screwing me over for weeks. :saddowns:

I have Rage and Doom. Which are clearly the best ones :colbert:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Feranon posted:

I have Rage and Doom. Which are clearly the best ones :colbert:

I kinda want to get Heart, but that looks a bit too flamboyant to non-Homestuck people, i think.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I can't wait for the next act: Act 6 Act 5 Act 1 where we get to learn about the Beforus trolls in great detail. :getin:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I can't wait for the next act: Act 6 Act 5 Act 1 where we get to learn about the Beforus trolls in great detail. :getin:

I'm sorry, I think you mean The Felt :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

What makes you think Jack will become Lord English and not the SOCK PUPPET for Lord English/Caliborn/whoever?

How the hell would Jack become Cal?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lizard Wizard posted:

How the hell would Jack become Cal?

Who loving knows. If I had to guess and choose from currently existing plot devices I'd go with that station tower. Unlock jacks screen, unlock some more photoshop like tools (already got the eye dropper) and go to town. already got the tooth.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This would be unironically great, though. Except for Cronus.

Unless we learn of the many ways he manages to get kicked in the bone bulge.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Technique posted:

I kinda want to get Heart, but that looks a bit too flamboyant to non-Homestuck people, i think.

Get Void to match your avatar.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Technique posted:

You say that like its a bad thing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Also be aware that wearing a God Tier hoodie marks you as a target for homestuck weirdos to talk to when you're on the bus or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chexoid posted:

Also be aware that wearing a God Tier hoodie marks you as a target for homestuck weirdos to talk to when you're on the bus or something.

Get a hoodie that looks very similar to a god tier hoodie, then glare questioningly at anyone who tries to talk to you about Homestuck.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At least structurally we're charging ahead, the last two sub-act things zipping by, but I can't say the story itself is keeping up with the pace. It still feels like there's just so much left to do. We have to have our heroes meet up, we have interpersonal relationships to sort out and character development arcs to finish (many of which are still quite a ways from finishing), we have Caliborn's rise to power and the origin of Lord English, we have some sort of new universe to make, we have all the dead-folk shenanigans with finding Calliope and fighting Lord English and getting this treasure (whether or not they're rolled into one thing)...

I mean, whether or not Hussie succumbs to the unfathomable temptation to have his heroes engage Lord English in a meandering DMK-style final boss fight, there's still a whole climax to cover where they defeat this supervillain and set off into whatever final universe will take them. We still feel quite a ways off from that for it all to be covered in A6P5, an intermission and A6P6.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

I think 6.5 and 6.6 (or is it 6.5.1 and 6.5.2?) are probably going to be pretty long compared to the other sub-acts. On top of that I think a lot of those points you're bringing up are going to wind up being completely intertwined so that progress with one equals progress with two or three others.

Regardless, Hussie is one of the few storytellers I honestly believe can wrap up something like this in a satisfying way.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Alright. I know about the green curtains signifying the Act 6 sub acts, but I'm unclear on how the total number of acts is known. Did Hussie reveal that somewhere else? I know he's trying to wrap this all up but I'm just not as clear on the supposed deadline that everyone else seems to be on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Crain posted:

Alright. I know about the green curtains signifying the Act 6 sub acts, but I'm unclear on how the total number of acts is known. Did Hussie reveal that somewhere else? I know he's trying to wrap this all up but I'm just not as clear on the supposed deadline that everyone else seems to be on.

It's the Word of Huss here. There have been fairly repeated mentions (only one within the story itself) that Homestuck is planned to be 7 acts. Of course, as Act 5 and now Act 6 have shown, that doesn't really mean anything.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Crain posted:

There have been a couple of similar places in the story with seven markers that clearly correspond to the acts in the story; the one that comes to mind is the "skip to a specific part of the flash" bar for Cascade, and I think the curtain part of the Rose walkaround was another.

He's also said as much directly a couple of times, and claimed that 7 would be A) not very long, and B) the epilogue.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Literally Sharks posted:

He's also said as much directly a couple of times, and claimed that 7 would be A) not very long, and B) the epilogue.

"Claimed", of course, being the key word there. :v:

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006186
This is the page where we see that there will be 6 sub-acts in act 6.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005666
And here's where we see that there's only one act remaining after that.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Dolash posted:

I mean, whether or not Hussie succumbs to the unfathomable temptation to have his heroes engage Lord English in a meandering DMK-style final boss fight, there's still a whole climax to cover where they defeat this supervillain and set off into whatever final universe will take them. We still feel quite a ways off from that for it all to be covered in A6P5, an intermission and A6P6.

I strongly suspect the final battle will be a Rube-Goldberg-esque gambit, where an insanely complex, cross-temporal scheme involving dozens of characters and their superpowers plays out like clockwork and defeats Lord English in an instant (writing that out, I can't help but think that sounds like Dirk's sort of scheme).

As for pacing... well, pacing is one of the things I like most about Homestuck. There was a really obnoxious trend in superhero comics a few years back called decompression, where stories that could have been resolved in a single issue were spread out over five or six to fill out the eventual trade paperback collected edition. It meant a lot of long, meandering conversations and not a lot of action.

Now, at first glimpse, Homestuck falls victim to that, but upon closer examination I've been impressed with the economy of Hussie's storytelling at key moments. Take the recent installment with the post-Scratch kids exploring their planets... there's a lot of information, there, about character, setting and plot, all contained in a very brief sequence. But Homestuck doesn't hold your hand, and Hussie trusts the reader to make inferences and put together bits of information that another author might feel obligated to spell out explicitly. That's Homestuck in a nutshell for me: long stretches of meandering but character-rich comedy, interspersed with short sequences of streamlined no-bullshit plot development.

And all of that's a very roundabout way of saying I have no trouble imagining Hussie tying everything together with a satisfying conclusion in the space he's allotted himself.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
When you really think about it, the only thing dictating the future structure of the comic is the author. That might be a big deal in other media, but the blurring between real life hussie and comic hussie is so severe that we really can't take anything he says as determined fact.

Besides, what with all the fourth wall breaking and boundaries between comic and reality being torn down, there's nothing stopping hussie from saying 'the end, thanks for watching' and then having caliborn turn up and saying 'FINALLY. MY CHANCE TO TRULY gently caress. poo poo. UP.' and kicking off a giant post-act seven slaughter, spurring a slew of out-of-comic-structure shenanigans.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

Rooreelooo posted:

Besides, what with all the fourth wall breaking and boundaries between comic and reality being torn down, there's nothing stopping hussie from saying 'the end, thanks for watching' and then having caliborn turn up and saying 'FINALLY. MY CHANCE TO TRULY gently caress. poo poo. UP.' and kicking off a giant post-act seven slaughter, spurring a slew of out-of-comic-structure shenanigans.

poo poo, what if he turned it into an ARG? :stonk:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

On that fateful day, every payphone in the world rang at the same time, each with a different Homestuck character on the other end. Not a one was missed.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Technique posted:

Buy them all. Problem solved.
I'll have three come Christmas- my boyfriend got me the Heart hoodie for my birthday, I bought myself the Breath one, and I'm getting the Doom one for Christmas. :dance:
Hussie is getting rich off me, between the kickstarter and WP.
e: plus, my boyfriend has the Time one and may or may not be getting another one for Christmas. I know you're reading this thread. I can just borrow his too! :D

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I strongly suspect the final battle will be a Rube-Goldberg-esque gambit, where an insanely complex, cross-temporal scheme involving dozens of characters and their superpowers plays out like clockwork and defeats Lord English in an instant (writing that out, I can't help but think that sounds like Dirk's sort of scheme).

So kinda like the end of Problem Slueth? If it's like that, I'm really excited. I would also be satisfied by the English just dropping dead from a fire scroll.