Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zwabu posted:

It would be great if more of Fox's guests would call them out on the ridiculous overhype of Benghazi like this. Soon you'd be left with Hannity and Neil Cavuto interviewing each other.

For that matter, one of Fox News' own staff has called them out on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32porQUkwoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat, that clip of Tom Ricks is perfect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When loving Gerardo calls you unethical you've shat the bed pretty bad. That's like Jerry Springer asking if you have any shame.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Glitterbomber posted:

When loving Gerardo calls you unethical you've shat the bed pretty bad. That's like Jerry Springer asking if you have any shame.

Yeah, at this point the only people who are buying into any kind of shenanigans regarding Benghazi are Fox News and the absolute die-hard conservatives who are desperately seeking any reason they can to impeach Obama. Even McCain's starting to realize he's fighting a losing battle at this point.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Glitterbomber posted:

I can't believe it's Geraldo of all people that's standing up for Obama.

Their party lines must be fracturing like crazy. Anyone with just a little bit of rational sense is looking around and going 'wtf am I doing with these people?'

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Myrdhale posted:

Their party lines must be fracturing like crazy. Anyone with just a little bit of rational sense is looking around and going 'wtf am I doing with these people?'

Given that this is the right-wing media thread, you have to imagine there's at least a few people at Fox News who are wondering how long the benefits of collecting a FN paycheck will continue to outweigh the downside of being associated with an increasingly toxic and corrosive conservative movement. :v:

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given that this is the right-wing media thread, you have to imagine there's at least a few people at Fox News who are wondering how long the benefits of collecting a FN paycheck will continue to outweigh the downside of being associated with an increasingly toxic and corrosive conservative movement. :v:

Like everyone in that room that called Ohio for Obama.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have his book on order. I understand he spends a lot of time beating the tar out of Tommy Franks' record, and I'm looking forward to reading it.
He does it on his way to fellating the Petraeus crew, though, which may seem kind of funny now that someone's stuck a needle in the baloon.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Myrdhale posted:

Actually back in the 70's (well before he joined FOX news and had the talk show) Rivera was a lefty journalist, a counter-culture, hippy-sympathizing TV personality. Maybe his long-buried liberal conscience has been getting to him lately.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nimmy posted:

Like everyone in that room that called Ohio for Obama.

It depends; the numbers guys probably don't care so much (obviously not, since they told Rove he was full of poo poo on-air), and they wouldn't have to worry too much about getting a gig at CNN or MSNBC or wherever. Most of the talking heads during Rove's meltdown are likely either true believers, or content enough to keep on getting a check as long as Fox News cuts 'em. I'm thinking more of the on-air guys that kick back on some of the more ridiculous Fox News bullshit (like Geraldo and Shep Smith), and some of the ones that are more "news"-y and less partisan (names escape me at the moment, but I'm sure FN has at least one or two :v:).

Then there's Megyn Kelly, who is A)a favorite of Ailes and B)has a contract coming up sometime in the next year or so. Even though she can be just as much of a conservative partisan hack as the next Fox News talking head, you'd have to think snagging her would be quite the coup for CNN (who would likely give her her own show) or even MSNBC (who I could very easily see pairing her up with a more liberal commentator, in their version of "Hannity & Colmes"). That said, I see Ailes pretty much giving her whatever she wants in order to keep her (which would likely be Greta Van Susteren's show, since she's getting trounced in the ratings by Lawrence O'Donnell as of late).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Then there's Megyn Kelly, who is A)a favorite of Ailes and B)has a contract coming up sometime in the next year or so. Even though she can be just as much of a conservative partisan hack as the next Fox News talking head, you'd have to think snagging her would be quite the coup for CNN (who would likely give her her own show) or even MSNBC (who I could very easily see pairing her up with a more liberal commentator, in their version of "Hannity & Colmes"). That said, I see Ailes pretty much giving her whatever she wants in order to keep her (which would likely be Greta Van Susteren's show, since she's getting trounced in the ratings by Lawrence O'Donnell as of late).

I never understood what it was that gave Greta Van Sustren so much juice in the industry. In 2008 she became BFF's with Sarah Palin and basically acted as her media rep until she figured out that Palin wasn't going to run in 2012, but I can't think of a single memorable piece of journalism that she's done either at FOX or CNN.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never understood what it was that gave Greta Van Sustren so much juice in the industry. In 2008 she became BFF's with Sarah Palin and basically acted as her media rep until she figured out that Palin wasn't going to run in 2012, but I can't think of a single memorable piece of journalism that she's done either at FOX or CNN.

Like about a dozen other people, she really made her name during the first OJ trial.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32porQUkwoU

Eric Bolling was that guy who accused The Muppets of a liberal agenda, right? What a nutter.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Eric Bolling has no credibility and no proper skills or a real job. He's only there to serve as a "me too" mouthpiece, yelling loudly about Obama and the drat libruls. I think he's just trying to make a "good" impression by being the most fervent amongst the witch hunters so he can keep his job.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

Really I can't get over how pathetic she was during Palin's thing. She was promised a prominent spot in the press if Palin became the VP, and that was pretty early on (They wanted a woman for the whole 'rah rah right wing women' thing and and the Pretty White Blond Crew was tied up in contracts for too long, she was their only steady choice really) so you'd think she'd try to be cool about it and maybe not be a transparent shill for her.

But no, every show, she had a Palin on or was talking about how great they were and how mean the media is (except her she loves them for real) and how she's going to be the best.

Then Palin lost and tailspun hard and welp.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

az posted:

Eric Bolling has no credibility and no proper skills or a real job. He's only there to serve as a "me too" mouthpiece, yelling loudly about Obama and the drat libruls. I think he's just trying to make a "good" impression by being the most fervent amongst the witch hunters so he can keep his job.

When Geraldo Rivera looks like a credible journalist compared to you, you're basically somewhere far below pond scum in your overall value.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32porQUkwoU&t=123s

Watch where I cued it up. When Geraldo starts talking about how Fox has twisted the story to the point where the father of one of the men who was killed is calling the President a murderer, you can almost see a glimmer of shame trying to climb out of Bolling's face.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I have no idea how Greta's show has any appeal to anyone. It's not fiery like Hannity or O'Reilly and it isn't entertaining in the slightest. There is some taped interview with Rupert Murdoch where he points her out as one of the liberals that work for Fox. I guess that's kind of funny. She's also a Scientologist.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

az posted:

Quite literally so; he's not a trained journalist. He's a former baseball player who went on to be a commodities trader on Wall Street, then decided talking poo poo about liberals on air was a better gig. Like most of Fox New's repertoire, he's hired for reasons other than actually being a journalist, namely that he was a voice for Wall Street during the OWS era. His point is to counter any criticism of the financial sector with "You haven't worked there, I have, you're wrong." :smug:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Something that really bothers me about Kelly is that she's not an idiot. She knows she has to play the dumb blond on TV and does so. She cracks every now and then, like when she snapped back at another host/talking head for badmouthing maternity leave right after she had a kid. Is she a true believer? I dunno, but so many of these people seem to say whatever to collect a paycheck - regardless of any potential consequences.

I think the mindset that Fox sells has no place for someone that is more intelligent than you AND more attractive than you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

lil mortimer posted:

I have no idea how Greta's show has any appeal to anyone. It's not fiery like Hannity or O'Reilly and it isn't entertaining in the slightest. There is some taped interview with Rupert Murdoch where he points her out as one of the liberals that work for Fox. I guess that's kind of funny. She's also a Scientologist.

She's there to legitimize the network. Just like they'll never fire Shepard Smith, or Geraldo, they'll never fire her, because she's a recognizable name who is just not-crazy-enough that Fox viewers feel like they're watching a legitimate news channel.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fade5 posted:

We've finally gone full circle. "Truthiness", which is known to be a parody, is now be unironically used. A confirmed parody is now being used in a serious manner. Holy crap, Obama being re-elected really did break the right's brain. This is going to be fun to watch.

Well, people have been unironically using using the term 'bootstraps' for a very long time.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

lil mortimer posted:

Well I guess we've solved the mystery of "Why does she continue to have a show?"

quote:

She cracks every now and then, like when she snapped back at another host/talking head for badmouthing maternity leave right after she had a kid. Is she a true believer?

Didn't she turn right back around and say something pretty awful though?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Fox News/Tom Ricks clash continues:

quote:

Fox News Channel executive vice president Michael Clemente on Monday responded to the much-discussed interview with Tom Ricks, claiming that the Pulitizer Prize winner apologized privately for criticizing the network's coverage of the September attack in Benghazi, Libya. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Clemente accused Ricks of using the interview to generate publicity for his new book, The Generals. Clemente also seemed to take exception to the lack of public contrition from Ricks.

“When Mr. Ricks ignored the anchor’s question, it became clear that his goal was to bring attention to himself -- and his book," Clemente told THR via email. "He apologized in our offices afterward but doesn’t have the strength of character to do that publicly."

But that's news to Ricks, who told THR in his own email that he never offered an apology to Fox — privately or publicly.

"Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I'd be interested to know," Ricks said. "Frankly, I don't remember any such apology."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a good thing Fox News fought (and won) for the right to straight up lie. Might as well use it if you have it. :911:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy, making up quotes that people didn't say and then bashing them for them. So they lied, got called out for lying, lied again, and then bashed the guy who called them out for lying and who they lied about, for lying. :wow:

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I like the implication that someone like Tom Ricks would appear on their network for any other reason than to generate publicity for his book.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fox News seems pretty untouchable but adding in the "didn't have the character to publicly issue the apology we made up" character slam doesn't seem like a good idea.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wixard posted:

I like the implication that someone like Tom Ricks would appear on their network for any other reason than to generate publicity for his book.

Yeah, what exactly did they think he was there for? Do they honestly just assume that anyone and everyone who appears is agreeing to fall to their knees to worship their worldview? Well, I guess they do, actually.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was X-mas shopping in a Barnes & Noble yesterday and they had entire walls of what I can only assume is a new Oliver North book. Is this guy still A Thing or did he just have a book signing there or something because god drat. Even though I live in a pretty conservative area, I was still a little shocked at the sheer amount of books I saw by right wing authors when I was browsing the politics section. Some of the titles were loving hilarious.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

DaveWoo posted:

The Fox News/Tom Ricks clash continues:

I loving love this. This poo poo just keeps getting better. Seriously - is everyone at fox news a 10 year old with their hand in the cookie jar? They must be so used to lying and getting away with it that lying is just reflexive for them now.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Spacedad posted:

I loving love this. This poo poo just keeps getting better. Seriously - is everyone at fox news a 10 year old with their hand in the cookie jar? They must be so used to lying and getting away with it that lying is just reflexive for them now.

The crazy part is, why would Ricks apologize to Fox News privately then lie about it publicly? It's so obvious that Fox just completely made up the story about the apology. Even for them this is insanely transparent. Say what you will about Fox and their storied history of dishonesty, they used to be at least somewhat good at it. They used to put effort into it. Now it seems like they just don't give a poo poo.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 27, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

I was X-mas shopping in a Barnes & Noble yesterday and they had entire walls of what I can only assume is a new Oliver North book. Is this guy still A Thing or did he just have a book signing there or something because god drat. Even though I live in a pretty conservative area, I was still a little shocked at the sheer amount of books I saw by right wing authors when I was browsing the politics section. Some of the titles were loving hilarious.

Perhaps it implies something about the general demographic of people who still use brick and mortar bookstores, and specifically the chain variety, to buy paper books instead of getting paper books from online stores or ebooks. I mean, 20% of Barnes & Noble stores have closed since their peak in 2007 just when ereaders started to take off, and of course Borders and some other chains have shut down entirely.

The stores will also not stock the same selection of books everywhere - in a conservative area conservative books probably sell better so I'd not be surprised if the regional management consciously chose to buy more conservative books and fewer liberal books to sell. You have to keep margins up after all, so it only makes sense to buy say 10 copies of a liberal's new book and 40 copies of a conservative's for the politics shelf in that kind of area.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Phone posted:

It's a good thing Fox News fought (and won) for the right to straight up lie. Might as well use it if you have it. :911:

That was Fox broadcast, not cable. The cable channel has always been able to lie at will.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The Barnes and Nobles here in Jackson, MS has a history section that is 90% why Communism is Terrible.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

The crazy part is, why would Ricks apologize to Fox News privately then lie about it publicly? It's so obvious that Fox just completely made up the story about the apology. Even for them this is insanely transparent. Say what you will about Fox and their storied history of dishonesty, they used to be at least somewhat good at it. They used to put effort into it. Now it seems like they just don't give a poo poo.

Now Fox News is claiming this constitutes an "apology" for his "behavior" by Ricks:

quote:

Update: Clemente calls Ricks’ response “utterly dishonest,” and told TVNewser what Ricks told FNC staffers after his segment:

“I’m surprised by the General’s utter dishonesty,” Clemente says. “I’ll refresh his memory – what he said following the segment was, ‘Sorry… I’m tired from a non-stop book tour.’ Perhaps now he can finally get some rest.”

Yes, clearly Ricks was just exhausted from his book tour and took it out on poor widdle Fox News. :rolleyes:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Who exactly buys this other than people who already drank the kool-aid?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Sounds like a stop on a Apology Tour to me!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Warchicken posted:

Who exactly buys this other than people who already drank the kool-aid?

Seniors who don't read too closely, because it would mean pulling out reading glasses.

As for a new Ollie book, I assume he's trying to time it's release near the Call of Duty franchise, while his name is still fresh in recent (gaming) news.
It would've bumped up awareness with voting-age and politically aware gamers, the majority of which are pretty connected with blogs/twits/podcasts these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Yea, seeing book titles like "Liberals should be executed" is pretty disheartening. It's even worse when you know that people are essentially being told this in all of the news they watch as well.

I suppose you could take solace that the left wing doesn't need a bunch of writers for them because all of the books are in the sciences section :smug: