Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They're not launching the website until December but I'm going to assume you need to register your WiiU online before you are entered in the program and they would know based on the serial number.

VVV there ya go

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
You don't need to register your console online, it's activated automatically. See this page http://ddp.nintendo.com/

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Seaniqua posted:

I figured Miiverse would be a novelty at best but it's actually extremely fun.

A lot of the assumptions that were being made about the Wii U's software seems to be proving false. When it was announced, all the first impressions of Miiverse and Nintendo Land were really poor.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Revol posted:

A lot of the assumptions that were being made about the Wii U's software seems to be proving false. When it was announced, all the first impressions of Miiverse and Nintendo Land were really poor.

Miiverse is that time that you end up super impressed because you always assumed that Nintendo is going to screw the pooch with anything even vaguely "online" related.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well there was only so much legitimate first impression review sites could give on Miiverse considering online features don't truly begin working as intended (or unintended) until a mass of consumers have it. The rest mostly turned out to be alarmism.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FPzero posted:

Well there was only so much legitimate first impression review sites could give on Miiverse considering online features don't truly begin working as intended (or unintended) until a mass of consumers have it. The rest mostly turned out to be alarmism.

I'm really surprised how well received Nintendo Land is here, and on Miiverse. All the previews I saw was trashing it, but now it seems to be pretty popular with most people.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That's kind of been game journalism's MO for the past few years though. Every thing spells the down fall/end/doom of Nintendo and this is totally their last console FOR REAL THIS TIME

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's kind of been game journalism's MO for the past few years though. Every thing spells the down fall/end/doom of Nintendo and this is totally their last console FOR REAL THIS TIME

If the company is not willing to make news then the journalists will. Nintendo needs to push announcements (any announcements) from time to time to give journalists something to chew on.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It really is bizarre :psyduck: I haven't experienced anything annoying on my Wii U that my Vita hasn't done in some form, yet for some reason the system that is vastly outselling the Vita by the company trouncing it in handheld game sales is dead and long live PC gaming :confused: Sony and Nintendo both are doing fine and a p good job overall and will probably stick around a while longer.

Just, so many bizarre leaps of fanboy logic. If the system doesn't host the latest Online Internet Kill Simulator it has no value to anyone and therefore,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When every game journalist fears the worst for Nintendo I think they just assume everything Nintendo makes is the next Sega Dreamcast. Also lets not forget all these same guys predicted the failure of the original XBox as well (THERE CAN ONLY BE 2 CONSOLES AT A TIME, HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM SEGA DREAMCAST?).

Basically dont trust anyone predicting anything.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The original Wii was a "sleeper hit". I remember newspapers covering all the people camping out for the PS3 on launch. Pretty much no one was camping out for the Wii until it got closer to Christmas. This will probably happen with the Wii U.

That's not how I remember it. The hype was so big that Wii Sports was getting coverage on major morning talk shows, and the Wii was hard to find all the way through 2007.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, Australians' games are overpriced, but apparently they all make a shitload of money. A friend just got back from there and claimed nearly everybody was pulling in six figures, so I don't care how much your Marios cost :colbert:.

The patch next week, that's rumored to address the hardlocking? Has anybody whose system locks a lot tried disconnecting their console from the internet and then trying to play something?

I have not had a crash in Nintendo Land since I removed my Internet Connection. I was crashing consistently even with the language forced to English.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

If the company is not willing to make news then the journalists will. Nintendo needs to push announcements (any announcements) from time to time to give journalists something to chew on.

Yeah, it's more to do with this. Wii U is doing fairly well and the miiverse is actually pretty neat? That's boring. Talk about how they're doomed and you'll nab some readers, it's not like Nintendo announces loving anything until the last minute.

The only games I can remember receiving a massive year+ hype train are Twilight Princess and Smash Bros. Brawl.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Sony and Nintendo both are doing fine and a p good job overall and will probably stick around a while longer.

Just, so many bizarre leaps of fanboy logic. If the system doesn't host the latest Online Internet Kill Simulator it has no value to anyone and therefore,

Actually Sony is in a bit of trouble. They've been, as a company as a whole, hemorrhaging money for the past four years to the tune of billions. So of the two Nintendo has been the stronger company but it's odd to see that in the game media everyone spouts the reverse

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Actually Sony is in a bit of trouble. They've been, as a company as a whole, hemorrhaging money for the past four years to the tune of billions. So of the two Nintendo has been the stronger company but it's odd to see that in the game media everyone spouts the reverse

I always see articles and discussions about Nintendo's losses when:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/business/global/sony-sharp-and-panasonic-report-significant-losses.html?_r=0

quote:

And Sony, perhaps the best positioned of the companies, posted a net loss of 15.5 billion yen ($194 million) for the quarter on Thursday and warned of falling sales in almost every product it sells.

quote:

While Sharp is in the most serious trouble, the three companies’ woes are similar at the core.

All three make good quality, even cutting-edge products — but so do their overseas competitors, usually at lower prices. None of the three have managed to generate the brand pizazz of Apple, or the marketing muscle of Samsung Electronics. In addition, a stubbornly strong yen continues to sap their competitiveness, while Japan’s territorial dispute with China has hurt sales there.

The scale of the losses is the result of specific missteps, from huge investments in the wrong technologies to a reluctance to exit loss-making businesses. A manufacturing bubble here in the mid-2000s — fed partly by an unusually weak currency and Americans flush with cash from rising home prices — masked continued weaknesses in their business models and spurred the companies to take big bets that backfired.

Everyone in Japan is getting their asses kicked.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Unrelated to WiiU but showing Nintendo's disdain for the internet:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/

Nintendo's releasing a Wii Mini with no internet connection capabilities at all (and no Gamecube backwards compatibility) for $99 this holiday.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, it's more to do with this. Wii U is doing fairly well and the miiverse is actually pretty neat? That's boring. Talk about how they're doomed and you'll nab some readers, it's not like Nintendo announces loving anything until the last minute.

The only games I can remember receiving a massive year+ hype train are Twilight Princess and Smash Bros. Brawl.

The Smash Bros Dojo was probably the biggest piece of sustained hype for the Wii ever, it was a fantastic and fun idea and I always wanted to get up early and check for the newest update. I know Sakurai has a thing for sequelitis and frankly, probably wouldn't have come back if he wasn't getting help from Namco, but hopefully we get another Dojo trickle of info again because that was fun as hell.

bilperkins2 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/

Nintendo's releasing a Wii Mini with no internet connection capabilities at all (and no Gamecube backwards compatibility) for $99 this holiday.

This actually isn't such a bad deal if you just want a system to mess around with in terms of SD card emulation and hacking. You could practically just turn it into an NES/SNES/GBA/Genesis machine.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2012

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

bilperkins2 posted:

I might actually buy that. I hate carrying around a large system and a bunch of cables with me from and to College dorm for the holidays. This can be quite handy, in that regard.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Does anyone else notice an odd warping/waviness to the game pad screen if you put it directly under a light? It's hard to notice unless it's turned off. Hopefully it's normal, but it kinda freaked me out when I saw it sitting under my lamp.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

The Smash Bros Dojo was probably the biggest piece of sustained hype for the Wii ever, it was a fantastic and fun idea and I always wanted to get up early and check for the newest update. I know Sakurai has a thing for sequelitis and frankly, probably wouldn't have come back if he wasn't getting help from Namco, but hopefully we get another Dojo trickle of info again because that was fun as hell.

There was an interview where he reflected on the dojo and really loved doing it. So maybe we'll get something similar again. Nothing like waking up early and crossing your fingers for a megaton update.

quote:

So they're literally releasing a SmashBox.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Legdiian posted:

I have not had a crash in Nintendo Land since I removed my Internet Connection. I was crashing consistently even with the language forced to English.

More people should try this. Someone said earlier that Nintendoland seemingly was trying to access online features when it crashed, so maybe that's where the system is hanging-- when it tries to place Miiverse features into a game (I'm assuming those are in Nintendoland, could be wrong).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

With no internet, I wonder if that means the Wii Mini will just boot straight to the game when you turn it on; everything in the channels menu aside from the disc is internet-based. I guess it's meant to be a device with absolutely no fuss or frills.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

bilperkins2 posted:

Probably not so much Nintendo hating the internet as much as Nintendo wanting to wind down Wii Internet support.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish the Wii U got something like the Mini's design instead of the bloated Wii we got.
This thing looks fresh as heck.

Bobnumerotres posted:

For the power it has the Wii U is tiny dude. The only thing smaller is the Wii, the 360 is roughly double in size.

I didn't mean the size, just the fact it looks like a bulgy Wii stinks. This Mini is a completely different looking thing as the U should have been.

I wish I had an extensive Nintendo hardware collection so I could justify owning this for no other reason.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 27, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish the Wii U got something like the Mini's design instead of the bloated Wii we got.

For the power it has the Wii U is tiny dude. The only thing smaller is the Wii, the 360 is roughly double in size.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Soul Glo posted:

More people should try this. Someone said earlier that Nintendoland seemingly was trying to access online features when it crashed, so maybe that's where the system is hanging-- when it tries to place Miiverse features into a game (I'm assuming those are in Nintendoland, could be wrong).

The crashing is 100% Miiverse related. I mentioned this late last night, but I crashed three times in a row and the Miiverse community was full of similar complaints at the same time, some kind of messages on there cause things to freak out. Turning settings to English-only in BOTH Miiverse settings AND Nintendo Land settings fixed this entirely, though I suppose disconnecting from the internet works too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the design of the Wii Mini, but I'd much rather lose the disc drive than internet connection. I'd actually be tempted to buy a Virtual Console box.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bobnumerotres posted:

The current 360 slims are double in size, I have an old fat model, and it could probably eat 3 or 4 WiiUs. My old Xbox (original) is sitting on the lower shelf of my entertainment center and that could probably eat 8 or 9.

Soul Glo posted:

I hadn't had any crashes until yesterday, and twice more today. Every time it occurred I was trying to access Miiverse while other devices in my home were pulling heavy amounts of data (streaming HD video, or downloading software) I am not sure if the downloads had anything to do with it or not. I have since shut off allowing multi-lingual posts on my Miiverse page, so maybe that will help.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It sucks that it locks up but since Nintendo seems to actually not be stupid with the Internet this time we can hopefully get a patch to fix it soon.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Skunk Ape posted:

Does anyone else notice an odd warping/waviness to the game pad screen if you put it directly under a light? It's hard to notice unless it's turned off. Hopefully it's normal, but it kinda freaked me out when I saw it sitting under my lamp.

Don't have it in front of me to check, but this is probably just the resistive layer on top of the screen bunching up a bit. Unlike a capacitive screen the resistive screens have to move slightly to register touches so they aren't perfectly flat.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MinibarMatchman posted:

This actually isn't such a bad deal if you just want a system to mess around with in terms of SD card emulation and hacking. You could practically just turn it into an NES/SNES/GBA/Genesis machine.

Looking at the pics I doubt this has SD card support at all. It would be quite the bitch to hack.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Teenage Fansub posted:

Totally agree.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of Wii U's design, standing it vertically just looks so odd. The Wii looked awesome, like it was designed for vertical standing, but the Woo just looks ghetto-rigged with some funny little feet.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

parasyte posted:

Don't have it in front of me to check, but this is probably just the resistive layer on top of the screen bunching up a bit. Unlike a capacitive screen the resistive screens have to move slightly to register touches so they aren't perfectly flat.

Good to know, thanks! It's just two little thin streaks about a cm or so from each side. Sounds about like what you're describing, and would explain why it doesn't affect the picture any.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Speaking of Wii U's design, standing it vertically just looks so odd. The Wii looked awesome, like it was designed for vertical standing, but the Woo just looks ghetto-rigged with some funny little feet.

I am so calling it the Woo now. That's awesome.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I think Im gonna start calling it the woo also...

The WU?

Either way the Wii was definitely one of the cooler designed systems. I mean in reality it was just a rectangle with a base, and the wu is just not as pretty to look at. Its just another rectangle but a little bit rounded. Nintendo spent a lot of time making the controller appealing to look at though, and it definitely shows.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, I hate the look of the Wii. The first gen Xbox 360 had the best console design.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

flyboi posted:

Looking at the pics I doubt this has SD card support at all. It would be quite the bitch to hack.

If this is the case then gently caress that, the SD card slot was a serious mitigating factor to owning the system. Cutting out GC support has already been a bullshit move but I guess they want people forget GC support existed for when the Wii-U perhaps starts putting those games on a Virtual Console service.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Toady posted:

That's not how I remember it. The hype was so big that Wii Sports was getting coverage on major morning talk shows, and the Wii was hard to find all the way through 2007.

It was ridiculously hard to get around Christmas time the first year it was out, and even the next Christmas IIRC, but there really weren't lines or price gouges going on during launch. All that crazy hype was going on a few weeks after the console came out.

Zuph posted:

Probably not so much Nintendo hating the internet as much as Nintendo wanting to wind down Wii Internet support.

I think it's more that they are saving $5 per console to not have a Wifi card.

Knowing how bad Nintendo was at patching out hacks for the Wii because of the weird "OS", if this new Wii revision has a USB port, I will bet you anything it can use a USB to ethernet adapter to get online.

No SD card support would suck, though. I hope someone can confirm whether or not it has one soon.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It was ridiculously hard to get around Christmas time the first year it was out, and even the next Christmas IIRC, but there really weren't lines or price gouges going on during launch.

There were lines everywhere. Hell I was flat rear end in a lay back lawn chair with my friend watching Venture Bros and Street Fighter the Movie and playing Mario Kart DS with the 20 or so people in line when we showed up 6-7 hours prior to launch alongside a Toys R Us. That line grew to 80+ by midnight. Hell there were even little lines at Targets every sunday morning for months after because that's when they got their shipments in.

• Locked thread