Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've previously mentioned this springer spaniel puppy owned by this guy who can't even realistically exercise HIMSELF (has trouble walking), because his stupid kid thought it would be a good idea to give him a hunting dog.

I saw the dog this thanksgiving. It's now 2-3 years old an a great puddle. It's never really exercised. It's silent, fearful, and never does anything. Ever. It's constantly yelled at to lay down. He says he likes the dog as a companion. This is why companion breeds are a thing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Kerfuffle posted:

I've previously mentioned this springer spaniel puppy owned by this guy who can't even realistically exercise HIMSELF (has trouble walking), because his stupid kid thought it would be a good idea to give him a hunting dog.

I saw the dog this thanksgiving. It's now 2-3 years old an a great puddle. It's never really exercised. It's silent, fearful, and never does anything. Ever. It's constantly yelled at to lay down. He says he likes the dog as a companion. This is why companion breeds are a thing. :(

It will never be fathomable to me how this is what most people want their dogs to be. :( I like when my dogs do things. I like when they think things are Interesting and have Opinions about it. Right now Moses is sitting next to me making the worst sounds in the world while pretending he has to pee/is going to pee on the floor RIGHT NOW because he wants to go back outside and see if there are STILL no mice lurking where he looked the last 50 times. He has been out 4 times in the last hour and he will probably con me into one more round of "definitely no mice here good thing I checked" before bedtime. My family likes to rage about how "bad" he is because he won't just go lay down. To me, it is funny and awesome. How can you lay down when there could be mice!?

I will never get how "puddle dog = good dog" to most people. Gumbo and that dog can met up and have a Staring Blankly Ahead party. :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I dunno, I like that my dog has an 'off' button for times when I actually have to do things that don't involve her. I like that she will lay down on my feet on the couch while I'm studying or working on something. Of course, she's ready to go do a thing whenever I am too, and if I'm too busy to do a thing for a day or two she will occupy herself with tormenting the cats (don't worry it's not actually tormenting, they play back).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Naw I totally get that, but this dog just seems constantly anxious about EVERYTHING because it doesn't want to get yelled at, so laying down is easier. :smith:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Superconsndar posted:

It will never be fathomable to me how this is what most people want their dogs to be. :( I like when my dogs do things. I like when they think things are Interesting and have Opinions about it. Right now Moses is sitting next to me making the worst sounds in the world while pretending he has to pee/is going to pee on the floor RIGHT NOW because he wants to go back outside and see if there are STILL no mice lurking where he looked the last 50 times. He has been out 4 times in the last hour and he will probably con me into one more round of "definitely no mice here good thing I checked" before bedtime. My family likes to rage about how "bad" he is because he won't just go lay down. To me, it is funny and awesome. How can you lay down when there could be mice!?

Quaffle does the yelling thing too but it's because he wants me to follow him out to the yard and stand next to him while he Eats a Grass and Has a Barf. It is apparently no fun for him to do this on his own, he wants witnesses. :(

If I don't follow him past the patio he will stand there and stare at me with a shocked expression, like he can't believe that I would not want to be involved in such an adventure.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So we went down to visit my grandparents this weekend, and they told us 'oh there's a dog park here' in the retirement community. I was thinking it was probably some little area of fenced-off grass.

That ENTIRE god drat grass/walkway you see stretching out ahead of him was the dog park, PLUS an area hidden behind the hill on the right in the back that was fenced off. :catstare:

We walked down the whole thing. I'd take the ball and throw it, Feldman would go chasing after it, and we'd catch up to him. Eventually we made it to the end.

He got a Thing To Chase and got to Run A Lot. Happy dog.

The Best Thing.

Also I got to see some old people driving their golf carts, holding on to their dog's leash while the dog ran next to the golf cart. You can't beat entertainment like that. :v:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Also I got to see some old people driving their golf carts, holding on to their dog's leash while the dog ran next to the golf cart. You can't beat entertainment like that. :v:

And you didn't get pictures? For shame.

I took my conure to the little cafe/bar/sushi joint down the street today. She spent the entire time trying to take her harness off and staring reproachfully at me for putting her in the thing in the first place. A cute girl giggled at me because I was talking to the bird about what the other patrons were doing, but I don't care because I have a green cheek conure so I don't need real friends SO THERE.

i will die alone surrounded by angry parrots

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Thanks for all the info, I've really enjoyed reading about you and Georger's SAR training :) I'm still not sure if we'll do IPO or SAR because of exactly what you stated re: it being very serious business but the idea of being to help people with my dog is pretty appealing. I've started doing some tracking with him and he really seems to have a blast (and it exhausts him, which owns). We've been playing "hide and seek" out in the woods, working on finding a hidden retrieving dummy, and following a track via the method Rixatrix (I think) posted earlier. I called some of the local clubs but they said he needs to be a bit older before he can join their classes. I think 6 months was the absolute youngest they'd take so we have a couple months before we can start.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Lola decided this morning that Jess wasn't allowed to have any fun and bit her on the face.

Terriers :mad:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm looking after my landlord's farm-bred working border collie today and tomorrow while they're out of town. He plays with my dog every day and they're best of friends, but I've never had him inside my house before and he's a little high strung (due to being a working dog and all). He is also Very Sensitive and has Lots Of Feelings and right now he's staring at the door whining and waiting for his owner to come back. He's also scared of my cat, which I guess is better than trying to eat my cat?

I'm not really sure what to do. I've given him lots of treats and pets and I'm just kind of ignoring him right now, hoping he calms down. He's ignoring me when we're in the same room, but if I go upstairs, he follows me, so I guess that's a good thing, right?

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

I'm not really sure what to do. I've given him lots of treats and pets and I'm just kind of ignoring him right now, hoping he calms down. He's ignoring me when we're in the same room, but if I go upstairs, he follows me, so I guess that's a good thing, right?
Can you tell him to settle? It works with some high strung workaholic dogs (being told to settle = work = yay work!)

Sukka decided yesterday he's born to do Agility and any time it's not his turn in class is a Big Deal. So far he's been fine when other dogs run but I guess that's over now. He has the worst voice and will scream his little lungs out because life is unfair and someone else gets to run. Time for some self control training I guess!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Rixatrix posted:

Can you tell him to settle? It works with some high strung workaholic dogs (being told to settle = work = yay work!)

Yeah I tried but he was just whining at the door. He was lying down so already 'settled' but was just whiny and sad. I tried to tell him to go to his bed, but I guess he doesn't know what that means. Orbit went and sat in Miles' bed like "Where's my treat?! I went to the bed!" - it was hilarious.

I went and sat with Miles for a while and he finally decided to lick my face and play with Orbit a bit, so that's good. Orbit was very worried about Miles when he was staring out the door and sulking. They played bitey face for a while and Miles is now back to whining at the door and barking a little. The playing was a very good sign though, I think!

Miles also growled at Gravity the cat (very politely because the cat was in full on play-with-me paw batting on his face mode), but I don't know that Gravity really knows what that means, because Orbit has never growled at him, so I locked the cat upstairs for a while. I don't want him to push Miles too far. Of course Miles just went upstairs and whined and pawed at the door where Gravity is, so who knows.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Plus_Infinity posted:

Miles also growled at Gravity the cat (very politely because the cat was in full on play-with-me paw batting on his face mode), but I don't know that Gravity really knows what that means, because Orbit has never growled at him, so I locked the cat upstairs for a while. I don't want him to push Miles too far. Of course Miles just went upstairs and whined and pawed at the door where Gravity is, so who knows.

Asa growls at the kitten like she is possessed by a demon when they are playing - way more so than with other dogs. The two playing together are extremely vocal, and its hilarious!
I need to see if I can cap some stills from crappy videos of them playing - I've got videos of Asa growling, mouth open, with the kitten stuffing her face in there. Its creepy, scary and awesome all at the same time!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Siochain posted:

Asa growls at the kitten like she is possessed by a demon when they are playing - way more so than with other dogs. The two playing together are extremely vocal, and its hilarious!
I need to see if I can cap some stills from crappy videos of them playing - I've got videos of Asa growling, mouth open, with the kitten stuffing her face in there. Its creepy, scary and awesome all at the same time!

Aww, I'd love to see that! Orbit (my dog) and the cat play really well together and will boop around and lick each other and paw at each other. I know that my dog would never, ever hurt the cat. Miles, however, has killed about 20 groundhogs on our property and did not grow up with a cat the way Orbit did, so I absolutely do not 100% trust him around the cat, even though he's been good so far.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Okay it seems like they're settling down well now. We went outside on leashes and came back in with no fuss (that's what I was most worried about- that Miles would refuse to come back in my house and instead try to run up to his house at the back of the property). He is the most velcro dog ever though and is following me around the house everywhere, but he's quit whining.

Look at these guys!

TofuPikachu
Nov 17, 2012

That is highly
inappropriate.
Jewel has been doing pretty well on her spoiled-as-gently caress regimen; her results came back in to confirm she's having kidney issues, but they are expected at her age. I've started her on her kidney-friendly canned diet, and she now has a heating pad to be her own low-level butt-warmer on her sleeping area, so she's pretty pleased overall.

I cannot believe how much I was freaking out over her teeth, but she should be okay for a dental cleaning in a few weeks. I expect a slow and painful death after that.

Jewel enjoying her heated sleeping apparatus.

I picked up some Feliway during PetSmart's online Black Friday sale, and I needed to add a few dollars more for the free shipping.

oh god this hat.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

So Bailey was clearly up on the table again today. He knocked some stuff over but didn't seem to chew on anything (and there was nothing edible for him there). I pushed all the chairs in before I left, so I have no idea how to stop him or how he got up there.

Anyone got suggestions? I'm guessing that this is one of those things that will have to extinguish itself since the first time he got up there he got so massively reinforced.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

wtftastic posted:

So Bailey was clearly up on the table again today. He knocked some stuff over but didn't seem to chew on anything (and there was nothing edible for him there). I pushed all the chairs in before I left, so I have no idea how to stop him or how he got up there.

Anyone got suggestions? I'm guessing that this is one of those things that will have to extinguish itself since the first time he got up there he got so massively reinforced.

I mean, unless he's a tiny wiener dog or something, can't he just run and get a good jump and clamber up there?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

wtftastic posted:

Coat the table with something nasty that will stick to his paws (but obviously not hurt/poison him.) For the cats, I used a piece of cardboard sized the same as the table and put tape sticky-side up on it. One or two jumps on and they quit, right quick. My dog can't reach tables, but I'm sure it would work for her heh.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Pile of Kittens posted:

I mean, unless he's a tiny wiener dog or something, can't he just run and get a good jump and clamber up there?

No, he's decent sized, be he jumps so rarely. Which I guess sounds stupid, but he climbs onto the couch for goodness sake. I think I will give a sticky tape trap a try with him.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Plus_Infinity posted:

Okay it seems like they're settling down well now. We went outside on leashes and came back in with no fuss (that's what I was most worried about- that Miles would refuse to come back in my house and instead try to run up to his house at the back of the property). He is the most velcro dog ever though and is following me around the house everywhere, but he's quit whining.

Look at these guys!

When I first brought Pistol home he would lay by my door and just whine the whole time and look pathetic. It took him a good couple of days to be comfortable enough to wander away from the door. Every time I'd open the door he'd bolt outside and refuse to come in, which was loads of fun. He's tons better now that he's figured out that being inside = fun (he was an outside only dog before I got him) and he's settled into our routine.

Both my dogs are velcro dogs. I can't go anywhere without my fuzzy shadows.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I took Husker in to get his nails done and decided while I was unloading him that he smelled pretty doggy and needed a bath. He spent a week being slobbered on by a puppy, after all. He's never had a bath at the groomer before, just nail grinding and ear cleaning, and he was very reproachful.

They used a seasonal shampoo that's supposed to be "sugar cookie" scented, but really he smells like cake. It's the weirdest thing.

We picked out a toy and a bone because he was a very good boy for the groomer, and I am only a little bit forgiven.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Hey, food buddy! I picked Beau up from daycare just now and he smells like cinnamon. :hfive:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Am I the only one who likes it when the dog smells doggy? I think it's a nice smell, but maybe it's because I've never had a dog to smell before. :shobon:

Although I do miss Puppy Smell. That was a nice smell too.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Bash Ironfist posted:

Am I the only one who likes it when the dog smells doggy? I think it's a nice smell, but maybe it's because I've never had a dog to smell before. :shobon:

Although I do miss Puppy Smell. That was a nice smell too.

I don't know. I just gave my dogs baths, and I like when they look all shiny and are soft and smell good. I do like the smell of my cats though. Sometimes I burrow my face into their fur and just smell them. Stop judging. Crazy cat lady and proud.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I think Buddy and other huskies who get a good diet naturally smell good. :haw: They have to be clean, though, like getting wet in the rain and toweling off. I actually just misted Buddy down today because he was getting dirty, and now he's fluffy and smells good. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I don't normally mind the way Husker smells. He usually doesn't smell like much of anything, or it'll be a hint of dog smell and a little of the cedar in the middle of his dog beds. But he was pretty sharp smelling today, and my fabric gloves came away smelling like dog after I loaded him in the car. That's the real test for me, if the smell comes off onto my clothes.

His blankets get pretty stinky, but I only feel like his actual body needs to be cleaned a few times a year. Mostly I use pet wipes on him, and that's usually just for mud (or cat urine, :gonk:). I think he's had less than five baths since we've owned him.

True to form, he made friends with all the ladies at the grooming salon.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Bridget never smells. Like, at all. I could probably get away with never bathing her if she didn't like to roll in random stinky spots at the park or have the occasional pom bomb after raiding the garbage. But I like how her coat looks when she's freshly bathed and she cops a prissy attitude, so we do a bath every other month for good feels.

Beau needs a serious scrub every month and wipes in between or he just reeks. Boys.

Nerdmann
Sep 21, 2007
I remember reading that hounds have a "doggy" odor but wasn't really really sure how bad it could get before Riley. When she sleeps, waves of dog smell come off her but I like it so I don't care. I call her my anti air freshener. Even after a bath, a 2 hour nap makes her blanket smell like I have 10 dogs instead of one stinky hound mix.

Needless to say she is on Blue Buffalo food, it's not a lovely food issue. She's not even that smelly when she's awake, just when she sleeps.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Pew! Pew! posted:

I actually saw one of the trainers at another PetCo have a class on "Potential Dog Dangers" to educate about shock, prong, and choke collar usage, along with some other potentially dangerous stuff (like toys you need to monitor your dogs around and other stuff you can commonly buy). Only myself and about 3 other people showed up. It was a free seminar.

I think that trainer was pretty cool, especially for a PetCo. Teaches positive training almost exclusively and tried to educate on improper corrections like that, but I guess most people would rather have furniture than an actual dog?

That sounds like a great session. What were the highlights, I'm also a Petco dog trainer and am now in charge of my stores training program despite having not even a year of formal training experience. I'd love to do a session like that.

On a related note, I actually got to refuse to sell an animal to some creepo this weekend.

Dude comes walking in, sees the giant DOG TRAINER emblazoned on the back of my shirt, shuffles over and say, "Hey... hey, where are the dogs?"

I explain how we don't actually sell dogs but if he wants to adopt there's an AWL just a couple miles away.

Instead, he'll have a cat, he says.

Once more, I let him know that the few cats we have are actually on loan to us from AWL, that he'll have to fill out an application and the cat can only be paid for with a money order if his AWL approves his application.

No cats, what about birds?

Parakeets and conures.

Nope, now it's hamsters.

I direct him to the small animal section and make myself scarce. Normally, I'd walk a customer over, answer questions, ect. But this dude was so twitchy and creepy that I wanted nothing to do with him. So of course, no one else is available to help and I get paged to small animals.

Turns out, he's opting for a guinea pig now.

"You give me a cage with that, right?"

"No, we give you a cardboard box for you to transport your new friend home in. Let me show you are cages."

"Nah nah no, I'll uh... I'll just take this one."

He has grabbed a hamster cage. A small, lovely cheap hamster cage that would be okay for a dwarf hamster or a mouse, but not a full size hamster and, I think, with all the poo poo inside it, wouldn't even physically fit a guinea pig.

"That is far too small for a guinea pig, you need a much large enclosure for the animal." I show our guinea pig cages and he keeps going back to hamster cages, insisting that these are fine.

Finally he resorts to, "I have a big rabbit cage at home, I'm just going to buy this for now."

At that point I just call him out on his bullshit and tell him I'm not selling him a guinea pig unless he either buys a full sized cage or brings the "rabbit cage" in to show me.

It was hosed up.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
There's a boxer that comes to my daycare sometimes and he smells exactly like foundation powder. I mean exactly. :psyduck: If he were tan instead of brindle I'd seriously question if his owners put makeup on him.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Hank has all that labby oil going on. After a couple days/weeks he gets very doggy. It's not as bad in the winter but the summer he smells like BO.

There has got to be a doggy Gas X. Even on Taste of Wild he's passing some that will make your eyes water.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nannypea posted:

Hank has all that labby oil going on. After a couple days/weeks he gets very doggy. It's not as bad in the winter but the summer he smells like BO.

There has got to be a doggy Gas X. Even on Taste of Wild he's passing some that will make your eyes water.

We feed Feldman Blue Buffalo, and his farts are some of the worst farts I've ever smelled. Dog farts are just WORSE somehow then human farts. Of course, he's a Boston Terrier and they're a gassy breed. But I still say dog farts are just generally terrible.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Actually regular human Gas-X is safe for dogs (but not Beano, iirc). You'll want to rule out any medical reasons behind the gas first, but I know a fair number of greyhound owners who dose their dogs with Gas-X every day. Like Bostons, they're a gassy breed, though for different reasons I'm sure.

Speaking of which, Husker is thanking me for his groom by farting up a storm :rolleyes: Great combo, dogfarts and cake.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
I will have to invest in some Gas-X for Hank.

Ok, while waiting for some medication to kick in, I'm browsing Dog ads. I know it's a bad idea but uh, I can now say I have seen everything.

Mexican hotdogs (Chiweenies) :psypop:

ONLY 2 LEFT!! Hurry and get yours for Christmas...Both parents on site. The dad is a full blooded apple head chihuahua and the mom is full blood dachshund. The puppies will be ready to wean 2 wks before Christmas, so just in time for Santa!

That bow is bigger than his head!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Things like Gas-X do not make gas go away. They just make gas easier to pass, so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You people complain about gas and I bet none of you have had a dane curled up on your stomach, fast asleep and cut one that was so loud and long it startled the drat dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I underestimated hound-stink and Gumbopuppy announces his presence with his hound stench before you see him. He eats good food, but somehow still manages to smell like an entire herd of dogs.

On an unrelated note, my mom had some friends over last night and was showing him off to them. She kept saying she was pretty sure he was a purebred lab, and her friends agreed loudly and started listing all of his traits and going on about how that was definitely lab, he is the labbiest lab, god I love labs, give me all of the labs, GREAT lab you've got there!!

She is also beginning to say that she thinks he is growing out of his dwarfy legs and that he is going to have "normal" legs as an adult. I....can not convey to her that this isn't how it works. Her reasoning is that he is not as stubby as most stubby dogs, and if he were a stubdog, his legs would barely change at all over the course of his growth. :psyduck:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Well, the working border collie slept over an it went fine. Usually Orbit sleeps in his crate downstairs, but Miles doesn't sleep in one. I also didn't want to leave Miles alone with the cat and thought he would probably want Orbit's company, because Miles has been whining for his people to come back. So! We all had a slumber party in our bedroom. Orbit jumped up on the bed for the first time (he is a corgi and his short legs prevented him from getting up high on the bed- or so I thought!). Miles slept on his bed on the floor and didn't whine. It was all a success.

Now Miles is smashing his head on us for pets and Orbit is playing dog police so Miles doesn't try to eat the cat.

edit to add Miles and his boop-able nose

edit again because this just happened for the first time ever. I think they are comforting each other because Miles has intruded on their peaceful lives

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I underestimated hound-stink and Gumbopuppy announces his presence with his hound stench before you see him. He eats good food, but somehow still manages to smell like an entire herd of dogs.

On an unrelated note, my mom had some friends over last night and was showing him off to them. She kept saying she was pretty sure he was a purebred lab, and her friends agreed loudly and started listing all of his traits and going on about how that was definitely lab, he is the labbiest lab, god I love labs, give me all of the labs, GREAT lab you've got there!!

She is also beginning to say that she thinks he is growing out of his dwarfy legs and that he is going to have "normal" legs as an adult. I....can not convey to her that this isn't how it works. Her reasoning is that he is not as stubby as most stubby dogs, and if he were a stubdog, his legs would barely change at all over the course of his growth. :psyduck:

Are her friends blind and have never seen a lab before?

• Locked thread