Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Any plumbing/hardware pros in here got any buying tips when it comes to buying taps? The only way I can seem to differentiate hardware is based on the valve type and the reputation of the manufacturer. So any recommendations of what to look for? Are two handles ever better than one? Are there any features (like those retractable hoses on some kitchen faucets) or materials/finishes that you would avoid? What should you spend for good quality kitchen or bathroom taps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I could use a bit of plumbing help.

I just installed a new toilet and discovered it leaks when I flush. The water is ending up in my basement. I'm pretty sure it's because the toilet is installed over top of a tile floor, with an extra subfloor as well, so the wax ring under the toilet isn't high enough to seal properly. Without the tile and subfloor the toilet would seal properly I'm sure.

Any ideas how I could fix this?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Is there a "go to" brand for kitchen faucets? I want to replace my current one (calcium deposits in the faucet head and the handle is jacked up), but I don't want to spend $200 to get something that will only last a year or two. Not looking for anything too fancy, just a pull down faucet would be great.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

I just installed a new toilet and discovered it leaks when I flush. The water is ending up in my basement. I'm pretty sure it's because the toilet is installed over top of a tile floor, with an extra subfloor as well, so the wax ring under the toilet isn't high enough to seal properly. Without the tile and subfloor the toilet would seal properly I'm sure.

Any ideas how I could fix this?
You got 3 options, depending on the tile depth you need to make up, in order of practicality:
1. get a toilet flange extender
2. get an extra thick wax ring
3. wax rings do stack...

I would recommend trying #1 first, and follow the instructions to the letter. You can just as easily end up with a leak using one of those. As for #3, that's an option of last resort. Wax rings tend to slide apart when putting the toilet down.

As for people asking for brand and feature recommendations, I say get a good brand with the features and styling that you like while still fitting your sink (4, 3, 2 or 1 hole; 4 or 8 inch; 1 or 2 handle; etc). The big brands are Delta, Moen, Kohler, Kingston, Price Pfister, Newport and American Standard. You do get what you pay for. The more expensive ones tend to use more brass and less plastic, which will last longer. If it comes down to 2 faucets, go with the box that is heavier.

One last word: faucets do need maintenance, whether it's just cleaning up hard water or swapping rubber washers or O-rings every so many years. Hard water affects all faucets. Cleaning it up is a fact of life, no matter the manufacturer.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 9, 2012

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

b0g posted:

Alright folks.

I am back .. again with this home i called poo poo hole. The whole house plumbing is fine and does not seem to have a drain issue. However, my washer drain pipe is overflowing. it worked fine until about a year ago; it started overflowing but turned out it iced up a little bit and hot water cleared that poo poo up quick! So fast forward to 2 weeks ago... Everything was draining fine and now it is overflowing; as if its not draining fast enough. My wife needed laundry done so every spin or rinse cycle, I would hold the washer drain pipe until i hear and see the water coming up. I would then turn off the washer.. wait 5 seconds and do that.

THEN 2 days ago --- all of the sudden, it started filling up real quick! Like less then 4 seconds of draining and its full... and I mean splashing wish i was a kid in a pool overflowing. I did notice something weird... when it filled up that quick, i could see it come up, then drain down, then like a wave, come back up a bit then go down and so forth.

So any idea? Do i need to go ahead and just call a plumber to fish that drat drain? Anything I can do?

Its a almost brand new home. Only 7 years on it. Its on slab and in the attic i do see a dedicated vent line.

Thanks!!

If the drain backs up that quickly most likely you have something in it really close to the washing machine. Not sure what it could be but either hire someone to snake it or try it yourself. You should have a clean out behind the washer some where.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

kid sinister posted:

You got 3 options, depending on the tile depth you need to make up, in order of practicality:
1. get a toilet flange extender
2. get an extra thick wax ring
3. wax rings do stack...

I would recommend trying #1 first, and follow the instructions to the letter. You can just as easily end up with a leak using one of those. As for #3, that's an option of last resort. Wax rings tend to slide apart when putting the toilet down.
Thanks!

Do you have any opinions on this set-rite extender? It looks dead simple and that's pretty appealing to me.

Also, one follow up question -- I replaced the other toilet in my house as well and the flange was flat to the floor. From what I understand it should actually be about 1/2" above the floor. Is there a risk of a bad seal on this toilet as well or is 1/2" close enough?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

In my infinite laziness I have been showering in a second floor bathtub that has had the caulk cracking and separating from where the tub joins the tile for almost 6 months now. It's not the entire caulk line, just random spaces where there are gaps in the corners and 2 inch lines where the caulk is missing. I do wipe the tile and cracks down with a towel and squeegee every time, but there has been nothing to stop the water during the shower.

I know water has made it into these cracks, my question is how much have I managed to gently caress up and what is my recourse? It seems that just re-caulking the bathtub is no longer an option if there is water under the tub, or at least moisture, I would be inviting a mold/mildew issue. I do not see any water damage from downstairs, but am wondering what the smartest course of action would be from here, now that I've decided to stop being lazy and try to correct the issue.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
How is water getting there in the first place? Do you have shower doors or do you use a curtain?

Shower doors usually have some kind of adhesive that bonds the door frame to the tub, and that might be on it's way out. If a curtain, is it long and wide enough to accommodate the tub during showers?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Sorry, don't think I did a very good job of painting the picture. I use a curtain, but it's the ring around where the tub slides in against the wall that has the cracks.

For example:

The gaps aren't very tall (1/16th or 1/8th of an inch), but there are areas where the caulk is missing that water can sit on the top lip of the tub and, I assume, run down in that gap where the caulk is missing and then down the underside of the tub to the floor. I truthfully don't know how much water would actually have been able to drip down there, and would be tempted to just re-caulk like I should have done months ago, if not for a concern over mold. I know that tile itself uses that green waterproof(resistant?) backer board, but I'm not sure what actually goes underneath the tub.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ah, got it. Without a closer picture it's hard to say how "bad" the problem is, but if it were up to me I would just recaulk. Buy the Stage II caulk (or advanced, or whatever they call it), it's a few bucks extra a tube, but worth it.

It's going to be a pain in the rear end if you want to find and remove any mold underneath the tub. I haven't heard of anyone being able to remove a tub without breaking it, but I can be very wrong about it. This got close:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_PG_BA_Removing_Old_Tub_or_Shower&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

but after all that work when you get to step seven they tell you to smash it anyway.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and took photos of the cracks for reference, just in case:

NickNails
May 30, 2004

I have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater. If my wife and I shower back to back, or one of us takes a long shower (more than 10 minutes or so), the water starts to get cool, and then eventually cold. It's set pretty high, on the second highest setting. The hottest setting is too much in my opinion, will hurt really bad if just hot. I don't understand why this is happening. I would like to think that it should be able to keep up. It's only 3-4 years old and we have a newer shower head, so it should be fairly efficient.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I installed a shower pan about a year ago that had a lip going up about an inch to prevent water from leaking underneath the pan. I would imagine tubs like that would have the same thing as well. And unless the tile/board was installed incorrectly you shouldn't have to worry about water wicking up the wall either.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AppleCider posted:

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and took photos of the cracks for reference, just in case:

Most newer tubs are built with a lip that keeps the water from running over. Wall tile supposed to overlap that lip for extra protection. There is (very likely) an access panel in adjacent room, you can open it and see for yourself. That said, even if you aren't in danger of flooding the downstairs, that empty space will fill up with soap scum and mold. The best solution is to scrape everything out between the tile and the tub, and caulk that joint. Use silicone that specifically says "tub and shower" on the label.

Edit: I also want to point out that you never fill the tub/tile joint with grout for this exact reason. Wall and tub will expand and contract at different rates, eventually breaking that joint. It needs to be caulked, always.

NickNails posted:

I have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater. If my wife and I shower back to back, or one of us takes a long shower (more than 10 minutes or so), the water starts to get cool, and then eventually cold. It's set pretty high, on the second highest setting. The hottest setting is too much in my opinion, will hurt really bad if just hot. I don't understand why this is happening. I would like to think that it should be able to keep up. It's only 3-4 years old and we have a newer shower head, so it should be fairly efficient.
What is the flow rating of your shower head? Being newer, means nothing.

You're obviously running out of hot water. The solution is to either use less water or get a bigger tank. You may also upgrade to a tankless unit that will heat water continuously for as long as you need it, but those are pricey.

But first look into a water-pinching shower head that has a much lower rating than your current one. Going from 2.5GPM to 1.5GPM saves you 40% of hot water. These are available at Home Depot for about $15

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 11, 2012

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks!

Do you have any opinions on this set-rite extender? It looks dead simple and that's pretty appealing to me.

Also, one follow up question -- I replaced the other toilet in my house as well and the flange was flat to the floor. From what I understand it should actually be about 1/2" above the floor. Is there a risk of a bad seal on this toilet as well or is 1/2" close enough?
A wax ring can fill joints up to 1.5" if I'm not mistaken. The kit you linked is very nice, but it not be necessary.

maniacripper posted:

So I took a shot at it, how'd I do?

Home Depot sold a kit with the torch, no-lead solder, flux and a brush, some sandpaper and a pipe cutter later I walked out the door 30 bucks poorer, but the water is on and no leaks.

Gonna check it every hour or so, but is there a time when I'll stop worrying?
You did a great job, especially if this is your first solder repair.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 11, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

NickNails posted:

Do you have hard water? It's possible you have a build up of sediment in your tank, and that flushing it will help. This was a problem I had and flushing the tank allowed for 2 back-to-back showers without issue while previously the water would start to get cold before finishing the first.

Unrelated question:
Does anyone know if tankless water heaters allow for super hot temperatures like a standard water heater?

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

Has anyone used one of the cobra drain auger? I'm thinking about getting this to use on my washer drain pipe since its over flowing.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_347513-319-LX-86250_0__?productId=3376010&Ntt=drain+auger&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddrain%2Bauger&facetInfo=

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

NickNails posted:

How old is the water heater, have you checked the dip tube. It could be the dip tube or the gas regulator. Don't get a tankless water heater. They are junk.

NickNails
May 30, 2004

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

How old is the water heater, have you checked the dip tube. It could be the dip tube or the gas regulator. Don't get a tankless water heater. They are junk.

It's probably 3-5 years old. I actually bought a new magnesium rod, but I can't budge the old one. It's in a small closet and there's no way to get a bar on it for more force.

I did check the shower head and it's 2.5GPM. I could get a lower flow head, but I like the one we have as far as coverage and pressure.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have two showers in my house, one on each floor. The one downstairs works great, and the one upstairs is pretty poor. To get hot water with even a little pressure, I have to start on cold (it's a single handle one) and turn to hot until I see the pressure drop off. As I take my shower, it will get warmer with better pressure, and if I hear the furnace turn on, I get better pressure soon after. I have hard water, so my dad and I constantly flush the furnace. All of the other faucets get great pressure on hot water almost instantly, regardless of which floor they're on. We've also had the knob on this shower apart a couple times to replace the ball inside, but that hasn't really had an effect on anything. We put a new "green" low-flow shower head on, and that made it better, but still the same pattern. Sorry if that's a lot to read, but I really don't know where else to look for a problem.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Don't get a tankless water heater. They are junk.
Can you please elaborate? Worldwide, tankless gas/electric heaters are overwhelming majority. I've personally used many and can attest to their effectiveness.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Can you please elaborate? Worldwide, tankless gas/electric heaters are overwhelming majority. I've personally used many and can attest to their effectiveness.

In washington and other colder climates they have issues of heating the water properly. When you have in coming water coming in at 35°F. And the heater has to raise it to 120F. It usually slows down the water to make sure it can heat it properly. You then get 2-4gpm which can run a shower and a lav roughly.

Also you have to have a water softener in front of it. To keep calcium from plugging up in the heat exchanger of the tankless heater.

Then the bags of salt for your water softener will add up. Depending on what you get you will use roughly 1-3 bags a month. Averagoing around $6 dollars a bag.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 12, 2012

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

Just a following up to my problem. I haveone of them home warranties for my home and decidedto call them out to look at my washer drain pipe. He had to snake in about 40 feet and clean all that poo poo out. 50$ later, my washer drain draining like a boss.

Thanks guys

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

kid sinister posted:

As for people asking for brand and feature recommendations, I say get a good brand with the features and styling that you like while still fitting your sink (4, 3, 2 or 1 hole; 4 or 8 inch; 1 or 2 handle; etc). The big brands are Delta, Moen, Kohler, Kingston, Price Pfister, Newport and American Standard. You do get what you pay for. The more expensive ones tend to use more brass and less plastic, which will last longer. If it comes down to 2 faucets, go with the box that is heavier.

One last word: faucets do need maintenance, whether it's just cleaning up hard water or swapping rubber washers or O-rings every so many years. Hard water affects all faucets. Cleaning it up is a fact of life, no matter the manufacturer.
Thanks, I picked up this at Home Depot yesterday and installed it: http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-P...51#.UKK3eYfBExG

Very easy to install and it was actually a bigger pain to remove the old one. After pulling it out I realized how rusted it was. They didn't install it with the faucet gasket either which was causing my cabinet floors to get moist. Gross.

We never did maintenance on the old faucet, but will definitely be doing it this time around. Money well spent.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hey Rd Rash, how about a #8 for the OP?

8. Don't hulk out when trying to loosen brass and copper parts! Copper and brass are soft; they bend and tear easily. If you have a nut or pipe that won't budge, support the piece you're trying to twist off with a second wrench on the other piece, otherwise this happens:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

In washington and other colder climates they have issues of heating the water properly. When you have in coming water coming in at 35°F. And the heater has to raise it to 120F. It usually slows down the water to make sure it can heat it properly. You then get 2-4gpm which can run a shower and a lav roughly.

Also you have to have a water softener in front of it. To keep calcium from plugging up in the heat exchanger of the tankless heater.

Then the bags of salt for your water softener will add up. Depending on what you get you will use roughly 1-3 bags a month. Averagoing around $6 dollars a bag.
This is very informative, thank you.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Hey Rd Rash, how about a #8 for the OP?

8. Don't hulk out when trying to loosen brass and copper parts! Copper and brass are soft; they bend and tear easily. If you have a nut or pipe that won't budge, support the piece you're trying to twist off with a second wrench on the other piece, otherwise this happens:

Good idea, I did reword it differently to add some stuff I have learned about how to back up a fitting when un threading it. Can you think of anything else to add?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Good idea, I did reword it differently to add some stuff I have learned about how to back up a fitting when un threading it. Can you think of anything else to add?

Eh, I'd still put in a warning about brass and copper being soft. Well, softer than steel that most people are used to loosening.

How about when to use teflon tape/pipe dope?

9. If you are joining together 2 threaded parts and they don't have a ferrule or rubber washer on the inside, then use either teflon tape or pipe dope on the male threads first before twisting them together. For teflon tape, looking straight down the male fitting the tape will go on, give it 4 clockwise layers of tape.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Eh, I'd still put in a warning about brass and copper being soft. Well, softer than steel that most people are used to loosening.

How about when to use teflon tape/pipe dope?

9. If you are joining together 2 threaded parts and they don't have a ferrule or rubber washer on the inside, then use either teflon tape or pipe dope on the male threads first before twisting them together. For teflon tape, looking straight down the male fitting the tape will go on, give it 4 clockwise layers of tape.

I updated it with your #9. While I agree that copper is a lot softer. If you don't back a steel pipe you can unthread it and cause leaks down the line. That's why I left it generic. If you want to give a further explanation and can give a link to your post i'll put it in the OP.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I just finished renovating a house; redid all the plumbing to 1/2" PEX. Just noticed that the hot water at the kitchen faucet acts strange after it gets hot. While still cold and the faucet turned to full, it flows fine, then once it gets hot, the stream studders off and on and you can hear hammering

Any idea what this is?

I did just replace the seat washer and o-rings for the hot (it was leaking)

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 18, 2012

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

dwoloz posted:

I just finished renovating a house; redid all the plumbing to 1/2" PEX. Just noticed that the hot water at the kitchen faucet acts strange after it gets hot. While still cold and the faucet turned to full, it flows fine, then once it gets hot, the stream studders off and on and you can hear hammering

Any idea what this is?

Wait you replaced all of your water lines with half inch pex?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I don't really know why I said that. The main lines are 3/4, the individual supply lines are 1/2

The problem is definitely related to the valve on the hot side, somethings not right with it. It only seems to do the studdering in the 1/2-3/4 position. Air may be getting in somehow

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

dwoloz posted:

I don't really know why I said that. The main lines are 3/4, the individual supply lines are 1/2

The problem is definitely related to the valve on the hot side, somethings not right with it. It only seems to do the studdering in the 1/2-3/4 position. Air may be getting in somehow

It doesnt sound like air. Since air can't get into a line with out air. It may be chattering of the cartridge. But I am only theorizing .

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
How easy/hard would it be to replace my current (walk-in) shower knob:

With a regular ol' single lever handle?

I went to turn off the shower the other day, and it didn't completetly turn off like normal. I tightened the handle and it worked a little bit better, but the shower head still dripped. I took the handle off entirely and pushed in and down on the little lever that's there, and that did the trick. Putting the handle back on doesn't seem to solve the problem though, so I figure something is just loose in the thing. I don't like the fixture anyway, so rather than messing with it, I'd just like to replace the whole thing.

I guess the thing about my current handle is that it can do both hot/cold with varying degrees of pressure (moves in a 'v' way). I don't really have a need for this, so I'd rather just have a single lever that simply turns things on and allows for temperature adjustment. Would there be a problem just taking out what I have now and throwing in a simple single lever handle?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

dwoloz posted:

Any idea what this is?

Ended up the seat washer wasn't seated properly in the recess; it came out due to not enough pressure from the screw holding it. The new seat washer has a larger center hole for the screw so I need to put a washer under the screw so it sreads the force more evently

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My toilet has recently been taking a long time to fill the tank after a flush, around 7 minutes or so. Flushing and draining are completely normal.

What should I look out for?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

My toilet has recently been taking a long time to fill the tank after a flush, around 7 minutes or so. Flushing and draining are completely normal.

What should I look out for?

Make sure that the shut off valve under the tank is open all the way. Other than that, you can check if the fill valve in the tank is getting clogged with hard water.

Voodoo posted:

How easy/hard would it be to replace my current (walk-in) shower knob:

With a regular ol' single lever handle?

I went to turn off the shower the other day, and it didn't completetly turn off like normal. I tightened the handle and it worked a little bit better, but the shower head still dripped. I took the handle off entirely and pushed in and down on the little lever that's there, and that did the trick. Putting the handle back on doesn't seem to solve the problem though, so I figure something is just loose in the thing. I don't like the fixture anyway, so rather than messing with it, I'd just like to replace the whole thing.

I guess the thing about my current handle is that it can do both hot/cold with varying degrees of pressure (moves in a 'v' way). I don't really have a need for this, so I'd rather just have a single lever that simply turns things on and allows for temperature adjustment. Would there be a problem just taking out what I have now and throwing in a simple single lever handle?

It would be quite hard. Replacing a shower valve involves tearing open the wall, cutting/desoldering the old valve out, lining up the new valve and joining it to your existing piping. That's why it's almost always reserved for complete bathroom renovations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
This is a bit tenuous to plumbing, but my front loading washing machine has started to shake whilst on a spin cycle, which I think is a sign that the drum is off balance in some way.

Is there anyway to realign it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're right, I'd ask about that in the Fix It Fast thread instead. However, I've fixed lots of washing machines in my time. You really don't have to worry about front loaders being off balance, that is part of their design. You only really have to worry about it from top loaders. Washing machines lose more of their balance from their loads than their drums. The best you can do is to make sure that the cabinet is level all around, and if you're using a top loader to make sure that clothes are distributed evenly around the drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I apologize of this has been asked. Basically I have no plumbing knowledge. My toilet keeps leaking at the base. I keep tightening the bolts which works temporarily. Is there a permanent fix for this that I can do myself? I'm assuming it has something to do with the seal.