Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

From the voice of my Oma from beyond the Otherworld :

Don't lift or twist poo poo, smother that poo poo in franzbranntwein, and call a doctor if it's not better in, say, another week. Be nice to it. You only get the one back and can't replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

About three days ago when bending over my lower back got really painful for a few seconds (pulled muscle?). Ever since then it's been mildly sore and stiff. Normally I wouldn't care and just go on with my life but I know a lot of people with F'ed up lower backs and don't want to become one.

Should I just ignore it for a week and see what happens or should I go see someone about it?

The problem with injuries like that is that there is no telling what will become of them - the symptoms may pass on their own as you continue to move naturally, they may stick with you, but go away after a single massage, but the the massages may only give temporary relief; it may become worse, or you may automatically adjust your back position so as to avoid pain, and then it will return after, say, lying on your back or trying to stretch out. So I suppose the question I'd ask you is: "Do you fell lucky?" But it's always better to have it checked, even if you do!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

KodiakRS posted:

About three days ago when bending over my lower back got really painful for a few seconds (pulled muscle?). Ever since then it's been mildly sore and stiff. Normally I wouldn't care and just go on with my life but I know a lot of people with F'ed up lower backs and don't want to become one.

Should I just ignore it for a week and see what happens or should I go see someone about it?

I sometimes get lower backpain, I don't know just how sore/painful yours is, so maybe give it 3 days. However do you sit down a lot all day?

I basically sit all day and if I walk 3 times a week, 45 minutes a time on the level that helps avoiding the AUGH MY BACK moments I would get from bending over.

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR
I am an architect and I want to start working with Rhinoceros for 3d renders, thing is I cannot find a nice tutorial site about architectural modeling and rendering.

The only ones I find are modelling lessons about animation most of the times, and not free.. so free should be a nice bonus.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for websites that list a bunch of gifts to buy, similar to this :

http://awesomeclaus.com/

It's just a simple website with images, price, and a small description about the product. I know there was a website that would list all the best sellers on Amazon and I believe they advertised on SA before.

Anyone have any more sites like this?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

It's just a simple website with images, price, and a small description about the product. I know there was a website that would list all the best sellers on Amazon and I believe they advertised on SA before.

http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Hmm. That one looks like a low-maintenance/effort affiliate link blog. I don't get that they're posting things to help people find gifts as much as they are trying to make money.

I'd be interested in a similar site as what you describe, though.

This one looks pretty good, be nice to see others with a similar format/premise if anyone has any links to that end.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

when worlds collide posted:

This one looks pretty good, be nice to see others with a similar format/premise if anyone has any links to that end.

http://www.incrediblethings.com/
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/

Many items may be out of your price range however.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
My niece is three and change and a complete goddamn weirdo. The entire family has asked her what she wants for Christmas, and she repeatedly insists she wants a "green robot."

15 inquiries, same answer.

The rest of the family has decided to ignore her request and get her something with that Spanish explorer girl on it. I've decided I'm going to be the hero and find her a green robot.

Google keeps running into various incarnations of that Android phone robot. I showed her a picture of him and was like "how about this robot?" and she said it looks too much like the aliens in Toy Story. She wants a more bleepity bloop clampy-armed roboty robot I'm assuming.

Is there any secret robot marts on the Internet where I can fill her request or am I hosed?

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR
How do you host images at the forums these days? The site I used to upload them seems to be unexistant nowdays.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mongmonghi posted:

How do you host images at the forums these days? The site I used to upload them seems to be unexistant nowdays.

http://www.imgur.com

for files over 2mb use http://www.minus.com

or you could just look at the rest of the forums and see that 98% of the images are hosted on imgur now

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nermal. posted:

My niece is three and change and a complete goddamn weirdo. The entire family has asked her what she wants for Christmas, and she repeatedly insists she wants a "green robot."

The rest of the family has decided to ignore her request and get her something with that Spanish explorer girl on it. I've decided I'm going to be the hero and find her a green robot.

Google keeps running into various incarnations of that Android phone robot. I showed her a picture of him and was like "how about this robot?" and she said it looks too much like the aliens in Toy Story. She wants a more bleepity bloop clampy-armed roboty robot I'm assuming.

Is there any secret robot marts on the Internet where I can fill her request or am I hosed?

Search amazon or ebay for robot toy, disasemble, spray paint green, reassemble, wrap, gift.

E: location & budget?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nermal. posted:

Sounds pretty normal for a three year old, actually.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Cakefool posted:

Search amazon or ebay for robot toy, disasemble, spray paint green, reassemble, wrap, gift.

E: location & budget?

Under $50. And I'm going to have to just find a fancy robot and paint him I bet. You're right.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Nermal. posted:

How about this? http://www.tintoyarcade.com/categories/Tin-Toys-Robots/Small-Wind-Up-Robots/

There's a couple of green ones too. I don't know if the wind-up tin toys might be a bit too fragile for a three-year old, though.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nermal. posted:

Before you go out and just buy any old robot and paint it green, make sure she's not talking about some specific robot on TV or somewhere that's green.

Otherwise you're just going to be lame in her eyes.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I Googled "Robot toy" and found some green ones right away. Look perfect for a three-year-old.

http://www.diapers.com/p/bloco-toys...pspn=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

FCKGW posted:

http://www.incrediblethings.com/
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/

Many items may be out of your price range however.

No, those are actually really interesting. I am not wealthy but I like looking at neat/weird/stylish things, and sometimes it gives me ideas for crafts and what not. Thanks :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hey by the way friends, there's a gift ideas thread in A/T now :) Please ask or help!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I mailed a package with insurance and want to make an insurance claim, but I've gone and lost my receipt. I paid with my debit card, what can I do?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Wheres a good place on line to get leather jackets? I was looking at Wilson Leather and so many of the reviews say the leather is cheap and thin now. Amazon seems to not have any good deals either.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mailed a package with insurance and want to make an insurance claim, but I've gone and lost my receipt. I paid with my debit card, what can I do?

Well, since you've paid with a debit card, the transaction should show itself on your bank account statement, no? So that at least would prove that you've paid for it (though maybe not necessarily what package it was), but it may very well be that the receipt is the only form of confirmation the package company deems valid for the purpose of the claim, in which case you are most likely out of luck, unless they feel especially nice.

I suppose there should be something written about such cases on "Customer Support" or FAQs on the company's website?

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Should I continue to be a psych major even though there doesn't seem to be many good-paying jobs in the field?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Well, since you've paid with a debit card, the transaction should show itself on your bank account statement, no? So that at least would prove that you've paid for it (though maybe not necessarily what package it was), but it may very well be that the receipt is the only form of confirmation the package company deems valid for the purpose of the claim, in which case you are most likely out of luck, unless they feel especially nice.

I suppose there should be something written about such cases on "Customer Support" or FAQs on the company's website?

Well I asked here because I couldn't find anything on USPS' website or online. I'll try asking in person where I sent it but...ugh

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dassiell posted:

Should I continue to be a psych major even though there doesn't seem to be many good-paying jobs in the field?

Most people end up getting jobs in fields outside their college major. If you want to be a professional psychologist/therapist/whatever, you'd probably need a graduate degree anyway. And unless you're going to switch from psychology to a hard science, engineering, or business, it's not going to make much of a difference for you. If you're a freshman and it's easy to switch, then go ahead. But if you're already pretty far in, it's not worth it to add an extra year or two to your time in college just because you'd rather major in sociology or French literature. Not that there's anything wrong with those things.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well I asked here because I couldn't find anything on USPS' website or online. I'll try asking in person where I sent it but...ugh

I'm not even from the USA, so it's certainly possible that someone else does know the answer to your question :)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

GreenBuckanneer posted:

From USPS Insured mail FAQ:

Because NO record is kept by the mailing Post Office™ facility, the sender needs to keep the receipt for making a claim

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

From USPS Insured mail FAQ:

Because NO record is kept by the mailing Post Office™ facility, the sender needs to keep the receipt for making a claim

gently caress. Well there goes that. I usually have one place I always put important poo poo, but it's not in that place or any other place I can find. Oh well.

Can't the receiver make a claim? They have the thing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If I'm interested in discussions about the future, technology, and sci-fi, where on the forums can I go to? Also, any books or authors that are particularly interesting?

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Can anyone recommend an OCR program that can deal with noise or how to make my existing one deal with it? I'm using ABBYY FineReader at the moment which works good if the printing is good quality.

But often I find some documents I'm scanning has tiny dots added all over the document. ABBYY seems to interpret every single one of these dots as a character and the resulting scanned document is full of garbage.

I've had a few attempts at editing the image to clear it up but to no avail. I would have though that an OCR program could be configured to only recognise something as a character if it's at least a certain size but no.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Long Wang posted:

Can anyone recommend an OCR program that can deal with noise or how to make my existing one deal with it? I'm using ABBYY FineReader at the moment which works good if the printing is good quality.

But often I find some documents I'm scanning has tiny dots added all over the document. ABBYY seems to interpret every single one of these dots as a character and the resulting scanned document is full of garbage.

I've had a few attempts at editing the image to clear it up but to no avail. I would have though that an OCR program could be configured to only recognise something as a character if it's at least a certain size but no.

Have you tried reducing the DPI you scan at slightly? Might mask the dots a bit?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If you have a string of ciphertext made from two natural language statements (say if your base message is encoded with a passage from a book), is it possible to attack it with a letter-frequency method or is it just as secure as using a one time pad?
I just finished reading the Cryptonomicon and it suggests that Allied one time pads were cracked because the woman drawing the random letters stopped closing her eyes and subconsciously introduced a non-random element into the distribution.
I would think that even if you know the distribution of the two text segments and can assume the modulo 26 addition, there are so many potential ways to arrive at any given letter in the final cipher you could do nothing useful with it.
Help?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 29, 2012

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dudebro posted:

If I'm interested in discussions about the future, technology, and sci-fi, where on the forums can I go to? Also, any books or authors that are particularly interesting?

The recommendation thread in The Book Barn is probably your best bet for books and authors.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

Florida Betty posted:

Most people end up getting jobs in fields outside their college major. If you want to be a professional psychologist/therapist/whatever, you'd probably need a graduate degree anyway. And unless you're going to switch from psychology to a hard science, engineering, or business, it's not going to make much of a difference for you. If you're a freshman and it's easy to switch, then go ahead. But if you're already pretty far in, it's not worth it to add an extra year or two to your time in college just because you'd rather major in sociology or French literature. Not that there's anything wrong with those things.

I am a sophomore and do plan on going to grad school if I stick with this major. I am just unsure of the prospects out there for me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Wheres a good place on line to get leather jackets? I was looking at Wilson Leather and so many of the reviews say the leather is cheap and thin now. Amazon seems to not have any good deals either.

How much are you looking to spend? Leather jackets get expensive real quick.

e: And what type: casual, biker, bomber, blazer, what?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 29, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gently caress. Well there goes that. I usually have one place I always put important poo poo, but it's not in that place or any other place I can find. Oh well.

Can't the receiver make a claim? They have the thing.

Not without the receipt no, otherwise you could walk into the party office with a broken thing & say it was posted to you, can they replace it please. Checked all your clothes pockets, laundry hamper, sofa etc?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dudebro posted:

I like anything written by Michio Kaku (he does Youtube videos too) because he's pretty good at explaining complex concepts to laymen. Edit: I also liked a book called the Science of Star Trek that went over each major technology and how likely it would ever be real. Tricorders, Holodeck, Warp drives, etc.

My question is, how do Presidential Pardons work? I was listening to an NPR thing about how Obama has pardoned significantly fewer people than previous presidents (like Bush pardoned one in every 55 people suggested to him, while Obama pardons one in every 220.)

I had a concept in my head that it was someone who was sentenced but the President has the option to essentially veto the sentence. I also thought it was for like, high profile crimes or something, political espionage or something. Probably I'm aggregating bad representations from movies. Looking at the list of people Obama has pardoned it just seems odd to me that like, Obama pardons someone with a 50 year old liquor violation or cocaine charges. And that the most recent one is a sentence from 2002.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I just had a look at that pardons list and saw adultery is a military crime. That seems so weird. What other stuff is illegal onlt in the military? Other than miltary-specific things like desertion etc.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hoops posted:

I just had a look at that pardons list and saw adultery is a military crime. That seems so weird. What other stuff is illegal onlt in the military? Other than miltary-specific things like desertion etc.

Apparently adultery is rarely prosecuted.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2003/12/what_happens_to_cheating_soldiers.html

quote:

Proving adultery under military guidelines is no mean prosecutorial feat. According to Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the prosecution must prove that the accused not only committed the indiscretion, but also that his or her conduct "was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." In other words, the affair must somehow have hampered the military's ability to do its job—say, by lowering morale on a base, or by damaging the public's faith in the armed forces.

In April 2002, President Bush further discouraged adultery prosecutions by issuing an executive order that clarified the circumstances that might necessitate legal action. Although the order maintained that "adultery is clearly unacceptable conduct," it also listed a variety of factors that commanders should take into consideration before proceeding with a court martial. These include the accused's rank, the impact of the affair on the involved parties' job performance, and whether any of the hanky-panky took place while the accused was on the clock.

The other stuff in the General Article:

wikipedia posted:

The General Article (Article 134)

The general article (Article 134) authorizes the prosecution of offenses not specifically detailed by any other article: all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty. Clause 1 of the article involves disorders and neglect "to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces." Clause 2 involves "conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." Clause 3 deals with non-capital offenses violating other federal law; under this clause, any such offense created by federal statute may be prosecuted under Article 134. United States v. Perkins, 47 C.M.R. 259 (Air Force Ct. of Military Review 1973).[5]

The most recent version of the Manual for Courts-Martial lists the following offenses commonly prosecuted under Article 134: Abusing public animal; adultery; assault with intent to commit murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, robbery, sodomy, arson, burglary, or housebreaking; bigamy; bribery or graft; burning with intent to defraud; check, worthless, making and uttering; by dishonorably failing to maintain funds; child endangerment; cohabitation, wrongful; correctional custody – offenses against; debt, dishonorably failing to pay; disloyal statements; disorderly conduct, drunkenness; drinking liquor with prisoner; drunk prisoner; drunkenness – incapacitation for performance of duties through prior wrongful indulgence in intoxicating liquor or any drug; false or unauthorized pass offenses; false pretenses, obtaining services under; false swearing; firearm, discharging – through negligence; firearm, discharging – willfully, under such circumstances as to endanger human life; fleeing scene of accident; fraternization; gambling with subordinate; homicide, negligent; impersonating a commissioned, warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer, or an agent or official; indecent language; jumping from vessel into the water; kidnapping; mail: taking, opening, secreting, destroying, or stealing; mails: depositing or causing to be deposited obscene matters in; misprision of serious offense; obstructing justice; wrongful interference with an adverse administrative proceeding; pandering and prostitution; parole, violation of; perjury: subornation of; public record: altering, concealing, removing, mutilating, obliterating, or destroying; quarantine: medical, breaking; reckless endangerment; restriction, breaking; seizure: destruction, removal, or disposal of property to prevent; self-injury without intent to avoid service; sentinel or lookout: offenses against or by; soliciting another to commit an offense; stolen property: knowingly receiving, buying, concealing; straggling; testify: wrongful refusal; threat or hoax designed or intended to cause panic or public fear; threat, communicating; unlawful entry; weapon: concealed, carrying; wearing unauthorized insignia, decoration, badge, ribbon, device, or lapel button.

More here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm_2.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Long Wang posted:

Some OCR programs have a "despeckle" option or similar that can be used to remove such tiny dots. Failing that, you might be able to preprocess it with a more powerful image manipulator such as ImageMagick to despeckle it before it hits the OCR engine.