Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

The criminals in the van were driving while intoxicated. They were already driving recklessly when Dredd found them. They're the ones who chose to floor, eventually running down a pedestrian. And that bald guy chose to take a hostage.

A hypothetical question for you. If the police are chasing some minor criminals and it becomes obvious that the chase is getting very dangerous, should the police carry on or let them go?

If you said carry on, then welcome to the attitude that Dredd is satirising. The idea that punishing the guilty is more important than protecting the innocent.

Baron Bifford posted:

All I saw in this movie was a bunch of desperate criminals doing crazy things to escape the consequences for serious crimes they committed. It's a story as old as dirt and not satirical in any way.

Have you ever heard the saying 'might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb'? If you make punishments too harsh there is no incentive to ever give up a life of crime. In fact you have a better chance by going on to commit more serious crimes. Hence why people are saying the Judge system encourages more crime. If your life is already forfeit after a driving offense, why wouldn't you try and kill the judge who comes after you?

Also as leokitty points out, Ma-Ma is offering massive rewards to the desperate. You must see that muddies the waters somewhat as far as morality goes. The movie even tries to characterise the guy Anderson executes as someone who was just trying to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This is really grasping at threads here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Dredd we are clearly shown that at least some of Mamas men are basically doing it because they have a family to feed and they have no other choice. This isn't Die Hard where the villains are rich master criminals. In Dredd there people don't have alot of choice. If you live in Peach Tree you either are being oppressed by Mama or you're working with her (and being oppressed slightly less). There is no middle ground. This isn't black and white. This is different shades of grey. This is people deciding whether it's worth it to them to give up some of their humanity so their family doesn't suffer.

Even Mama is shown to be a victim. She's a former prostitute that was permanently scarred by her pimp. Alot of the way she does stuff can be seen as her setting it up so she can never be hurt again. She puts herself in a position of power and the only one she has actual contact with is someone she's positive is weaker than her. This is not to say this justifies how she acts but it's all just very complex and to keep insisting firmly that it is a black and white is very weird to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

This is really grasping at threads here.

The real grasping at straws is insisting this movie has such a simple "good guy/bad guy" framework when the movie goes way the hell out of the way to demonstrate that this is not the case, but really that's what everyone's been telling you for pages now and you still don't get it so maybe we should all just let this discussion go at this point.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

axleblaze posted:

In Dredd we are clearly shown that at least some of Mamas men are basically doing it because they have a family to feed and they have no other choice. This isn't Die Hard where the villains are rich master criminals. In Dredd there people don't have alot of choice. If you live in Peach Tree you either are being oppressed by Mama or you're working with her (and being oppressed slightly less). There is no middle ground. This isn't black and white. This is different shades of grey. This is people deciding whether it's worth it to them to give up some of their humanity so their family doesn't suffer.

Even Mama is shown to be a victim. She's a former prostitute that was permanently scarred by her pimp. Alot of the way she does stuff can be seen as her setting it up so she can never be hurt again. She puts herself in a position of power and the only one she has actual contact with is someone she's positive is weaker than her. This is not to say this justifies how she acts but it's all just very complex and to keep insisting firmly that it is a black and white is very weird to me.
Egads! Criminals sometimes have families of their own which they care about! This is totally new to me.

Egads! Some criminals had hard lives, and resort to terror and brutality to ensure they get respect! This is totally new to me.

Egads! There are some neighborhoods where the police patrol irregularly and where gangs rule! This is totally new to me.

There is nothing remarkable about these things. They appear in every crime drama. There is nothing special about these that sets Dredd apart from other gritty urban action movies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So because these things exist in real life and they have for awhile that somehow makes them not relevant? I'm confused at what point you're even making. No on said the insights that Dredd has were mindblowing discoveries that have never before been stated by a human being, it's just that there is depth here that does not allow the black and white interpretation that you keep insisting upon.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's funny because I feel like Dredd is the best Paul Verhoeven movie not actually by Paul Verhoeven.

This is honestly how I felt about it too :shobon:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Egads! Criminals sometimes have families of their own which they care about! This is totally new to me.

Egads! Some criminals had hard lives, and resort to terror and brutality to ensure they get respect! This is totally new to me.

Egads! There are some neighborhoods where the police patrol irregularly and where gangs rule! This is totally new to me.

There is nothing remarkable about these things. They appear in every crime drama. There is nothing special about these that sets Dredd apart from other gritty urban action movies.

I'm almost convinced you're trolling at this point. However, you're inspiring some good analysis of the movie. I know that the time I have spent thinking about it to reply to your posts will almost certainly make me enjoy the movie more the next time I see it.

But if not, would it affect your painting of Dredd as the good guy to know that Alex Garland, the guy who wrote the screenplay, described him as 'a fascist'? That's literally how he wrote him. Not as a good cop in a tough situation. A fascist working for a police state.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 27, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Baron Bifford posted:

There is nothing remarkable about these things. They appear in every crime drama.

They DON'T appear in every action movie though, which is kind of the point. Action movies almost always pit a generally good but usually misunderstood protagonist against enemies who are doing what they're doing because they're just bad. Take Alan Rickman in Diehard, we are given no reason to believe that he had a tough childhood or is making the best of a bad situation with few choices, he's a high class dickhead who kills and steals because he's greedy. Bond Villains are cut from the same cloth for the most part.

They're not earth shattering revelations, sure, but by juxtaposing the kind of action movie logic that is usually used against very one dimensional villains with the slightly deeper "crime drama" approach, and by cranking that action movie logic up to 11 and making the protagonist seriously overzealous and unrepentant in his execution of action movie logic, Dredd is making at least some kind of comment about typical action movies and the culture that spawned them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jabby posted:

Also as leokitty points out, Ma-Ma is offering massive rewards to the desperate. You must see that muddies the waters somewhat as far as morality goes. The movie even tries to characterise the guy Anderson executes as someone who was just trying to survive.
If we were to forgive every criminal who was broke when he was arrested, then we'd have to release most of the inmates in our prisons. This is a very banal thing - criminals are regularly in dire financial straits. Modern judges do not let criminals off the hook because they were broke when they committed their crime, so why the heck should we be shocked when Dredd doesn't give the poor a pass either?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Baron Bifford posted:

If we were to forgive every criminal who was broke when he was arrested, then we'd have to release most of the inmates in our prisons. This is a very banal thing - criminals are regularly in dire financial straits. Modern judges do not let criminals off the hook because they were broke when they committed their crime, so why the heck should we be shocked when Dredd doesn't give the poor a pass either?

Because modern judges tend not to set peoples' heads on fire. It's like you're not even trying, dude.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Crappy Jack posted:

Because modern judges tend not to set peoples' heads on fire. It's like you're not even trying, dude.
I see you're new to the discussion, so I'll tell you that I've addressed this point. Besides, you're going off on a tangent.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 27, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Baron Bifford posted:

Modern judges do not let criminals off the hook because they were broke when they committed their crime, so why the heck should we be shocked when Dredd doesn't give the poor a pass either?

Dredd, oddly enough, can very much be interpreted as a critique of "modern judges" and in fact the entire criminal justice system, and the wider political system beyond. The Megacity 1 justice/political system does stuff that's actually pretty similar to what goes on in a lot of real cities in the world, even in America or England, just cranked up to 11.

I mean, that's what satire IS, taking a real life situation and tweaking it just enough to throw the absurdity of reality into sharp relief. Your argument seems to be "well it's not that different than real life, so it can't be satire!", which makes no sense.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If simply reflecting modern criminal justice issues with little exaggeration is your idea of satire, then this is the weakest satire I've ever seen. It doesn't approach the hilarious levels of absurdity we see in the comics, which is supposed to combine science fiction with over-the-top satire. I think with just a little tweaking to the script, you could turn this into a regular buddy cop movie.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 27, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Baron Bifford posted:

It doesn't approach the hilarious levels of absurdity we see in the comics.

Starship Troopers was nowhere near the levels of absurdity you'd see in a Dredd comic either, but it's still a successful satirical movie. A lot of people say it's too blatant and obvious, but when it actually came out many audiences and even a large body of critics were convinced the fascist message of the film was absolutely sincere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The reason I liked the level of satire in dredd was because it assumes that you're not a loving idiot and that you've probably seen at least one paul verhovan movie.

Baron Bifford posted:

You're acting like Dredd is a literal documentary of events, and not a constructed narrative.

Yes we can assume the criminals in dredd probably have families to feed, like in real life. The question is why does the movie have a scene going out of its way to remind us that this is the case?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 27, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read that early drafts of the script would have included Judge Death or an adaptation of the Democracy storyline. Instead, it feels like Alex Garland took a generic action movie script he found sitting on a pile, then used the Find & Replace function in MS Word to replace every instance of "cop" with "Judge".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I read that early drafts of the script would have included Judge Death or an adaptation of the Democracy storyline. Instead, it feels like Alex Garland took a generic action movie script he found sitting on a pile, then used the Find & Replace function in MS Word to replace every instance of "cop" with "Judge".

You should probably re-read whatever it was you read.

The plan all along was for the first movie to be a small story that would introduce Dredd, Anderson and the Megacity world.

If that movie then made $50m they would greenlight sequels. First sequel would be the Democracy storyline and second sequel would be Judge Death.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

massive spider posted:

Yes we can assume the criminals in dredd probably have families to feed, like in real life. The question is why does the movie have a scene going out of its way to remind us that this is the case?
Well, it's such a very brief little scene, there develop Anderson's character, not to highlight the harshness of Mega-City justice. The movie quickly forgets this moment to have Dredd go on to slaughter more armed thugs until there are no more armed thugs for him to slaughter, at which point the movie swiftly ends because it has nothing else to tell us. Very little attention is given to the personal lives of the block residents and their relationship with the government.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Baron Bifford posted:

You're so close to getting the point.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Baron Bifford posted:

YES

That is WHY it worked so well for me. Because by making Dredd only slightly more unpleasant than an average movie cop, it drives home that modern action movies are basically vigilante fantasies where cops are perfectly legitimate in their on screen role as judge, jury and executioner, and that is really hosed up. And that in as much as action movies are a reflection or a) real life and b) how we want real life to be, it highlights how society is also pretty hosed up. By being pretty similar to a normal, non satirical action movie, it is able to comment on them far more effectively than a story about magic zombie ghosts or whatever. That's not to say an adaptation of Judge Death wouldn't be worth making, but with the limited scope and budget of the film that did get made, making a satire commenting on action movies and their morals was a wise choice.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MrBling posted:

You should probably re-read whatever it was you read.

The plan all along was for the first movie to be a small story that would introduce Dredd, Anderson and the Megacity world.

If that movie then made $50m they would greenlight sequels. First sequel would be the Democracy storyline and second sequel would be Judge Death.
I do think they could have done a lot more to expose the Mega City 1 setting in this movie. I read somewhere that Garland dropped the idea of a Judge Death plot because it would require too much knowledge of the setting from the audience, because it would have been a send-up of the entire MC1 Justice system. I think Garland will have to do yet another expository movie, because this one gave too little exposition. We only learn the very basics of the setting.

I think one of the reasons Dredd flopped at the box office is because it simply does not distinguish itself from other action movies. People who saw the trailer thought "I think I've seen this movie before". The few people who saw the movie walked out having nothing special to recommend to their friends.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Baron Bifford posted:

Very little attention is given to the personal lives of the block residents and their relationship with the government.

I thoroughly disagree here. Just because it's not covered by dialogue or explicitly stated doesn't mean there's not a lot to be gleaned from the film about how a regular megacity 1 resident interacts with and feels about the judges, the government and the system. There actually are quite a few scenes where everything is laid out (stuff with the doctor, the wife of the gang member, discussions between judges about peachtrees and so on) but outside that everything from the way the extras were directed, the art design, the decrepitude of the building, regular peoples reaction to the judges, the fact children are involved with the gangs, the massive collateral damage which is treated as acceptable, the very premise of the film, all these things speak volumes about what it means to be a regular citizen in a Megacity 1 towerblock, even if there isn't a 10 minute monologue from some average guy about how lovely his life is slapped in the middle of the film.

Baron Bifford posted:

The few people who saw the movie walked out having nothing special to recommend to their friends.

The marketing was poor, but word of mouth was excellent, everyone I spoke to loved it and I've certainly strongly recommended it to people.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I thoroughly disagree here. Just because it's not covered by dialogue or explicitly stated doesn't mean there's not a lot to be gleaned from the film about how a regular megacity 1 resident interacts with and feels about the judges, the government and the system. There actually are quite a few scenes where everything is laid out (stuff with the doctor, the wife of the gang member, discussions between judges about peachtrees and so on) but outside that everything from the way the extras were directed, the art design, the decrepitude of the building, regular peoples reaction to the judges, the fact children are involved with the gangs, the massive collateral damage which is treated as acceptable, the very premise of the film, all these things speak volumes about what it means to be a regular citizen in a Megacity 1 towerblock, even if there isn't a 10 minute monologue from some average guy about how lovely his life is slapped in the middle of the film.

Exactly. The movie was extremely tight in this regard. You got no long-winded soliloquies on the cruelty of existence but you could read a hell of a lot into the reactions of other block residents to the judges. From the hostage's terrified 'Thank you Judge' through the doctor calmly explaining why he couldn't help them to the resident berating them for hiding in her apartment. The meaning is clear: the populace views the judges as well-intentioned but ultimately useless at best or a dangerous and unpredictable disruption to their lives at worst.

Literally no-one in the film is grateful to the judges for their actions. And in the end all they accomplish is what Ma-Ma accomplished before the start. They cleared out one gang to make way for another. Didn't they say at the start that Ma-Ma 'started at the top, and worked her way down floor by floor'? The parallels are obvious.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Baron Bifford posted:

Very little attention is given to the personal lives of the block residents and their relationship with the government.

They don't have a relationship with the government. They live in a police state and are forced to choose between fearing the vague notion of punishment from a mostly non-present group of fascists and the immediate fear of punishment from a very present crime-lord who they have to live with through no choice of their own.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Question about the judge dredd case files comics that have been brought up a couple of times: do they include colored comics as well? I got a few soft covers of dredd stories translated into Dutch (verhalen van de megasteden) which include the muzak killer and dredd vs raider which are in full color. Are they also found in the case files in color or black & white?

The movie itself i loved however the largest cinema chain here in Belgium only had one screen and it was 3D only. So it was a few euros more expensive (12 goddamn euro ) but it was worth it. I generally avoid 3D but found it to be very well done in this one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I suppose the most ludicrous aspect of the movie is the fact that Ma-Ma's gang declares war on the Judges. She doesn't worry about the wrath of the Hall of Justice nor the backlash from the residents after she rips through the building with the minigun. You'd never see this sort of thing happening in present day America or Britain. This usually happens in states where government control is weak or breaking down, such as Colombia or Sri Lanka.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I suppose the most ludicrous aspect of the movie is the fact that Ma-Ma's gang declares war on the Judges. She doesn't worry about the wrath of the Hall of Justice nor the backlash from the residents after she rips through the building with the minigun. You'd never see this sort of thing happening in present day America or Britain. This usually happens in states where government control is weak or breaking down, such as Colombia or Sri Lanka.

It is becoming more apparent with each post that you didn't actually pay attention when you watched the movie.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Baron Bifford posted:

If we were to forgive every criminal who was broke when he was arrested, then we'd have to release most of the inmates in our prisons.

Given that America has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world and that many of those people are incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses (like selling Slo-Mo), that might be the point. You can't see the satire because you're so deep inside the system that's being satirized.

As for the Verhoeven comparisons, they go both ways since he's stated several times that Robocop and Starship Troopers were influenced by Judge Dredd.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 27, 2012

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Uh, yeah? The Judges can only respond to 6% of crimes, they are way overstretched. What are they going to do if two of their own go missing? Nothing! Dredd even says that a large number of rookies don't even survive the first day. Their control is very weak, they only maintain it by being better armed, trained and co-ordinated. Criminals have them way outnumbered.

And the backlash from other residents? Hahahahaha. No seriously, she skinned people and threw them off a building.

jabby fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 27, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Did you even actually watch the movie?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jabby posted:

Uh, yeah? The Judges can only respond to 6% of crimes, they are way overstretched. What are they going to do if two of their own go missing? Nothing! Dredd even says that a large number of rookies don't even survive the first day. Their control is very weak, they only maintain it by being better armed, trained and co-ordinated. Criminals have them way outnumbered.

And the backlash from other residents? Hahahahaha. No seriously, she skinned people and threw them off a building.
When Dredd called for backup after taking refuge on the balcony, two Judges came knocking on the door, and they stuck around for several hours. There were also a bunch of them at the end when the block was finally unsealed. I'm thus pretty sure that if the Hall of Justice learned that Ma-Ma killed two of their own, they could send in a small army to destroy her (not that they'd need to - Dredd and Anderson pretty much wiped out Ma-Ma's gang on their own).

And learn about it they would. Backlash from the residents? Yes, yes, yes. They are kept in terror but there are limits to what a criminal gang can do. Ma-Ma publicly announced to the entire block that she wanted to kill the Judges (because she wanted to keep quiet a henchman who might talk). In the process, she tore through the building with a minigun that killed a lot of people's fathers, brothers, mothers, and children. If they succeeded in killing the Judges, do you seriously think word of that would not leak out and reach the Hall of Justice? Do you think the Judges won't rescind other priorities to marshal an army to take down Ma-Ma? Do you think Ma-Ma's gang can fight an army of vengeful Judges? Criminal gangs usually rely on discretion such that nobody can connect them to their crimes, and Ma-Ma deals with the Judges in the least discreet way imaginable.

There was nothing logical about the entire block war, so do not try to rationalize it.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 28, 2012

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yannos posted:

Question about the judge dredd case files comics that have been brought up a couple of times: do they include colored comics as well? I got a few soft covers of dredd stories translated into Dutch (verhalen van de megasteden) which include the muzak killer and dredd vs raider which are in full color. Are they also found in the case files in color or black & white?

Yes, the later case files are in colour.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

When Dredd called for backup after taking refuge on the balcony, two Judges came knocking on the door, and they stuck around for several hours.

Exactly. Dredd said he was in mortal danger and required backup, and what did they send? Two more Judges, and I believe they took a while to show up.

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm thus pretty sure that if the Hall of Justice learned that Ma-Ma killed two of their own, they'd send in a small army to destroy her (not that they'd need to - Dredd and Anderson pretty much wiped out Ma-Ma's gang on their own).

As stated in the film, Judges die every day. Not to mention they would never find out exactly what happened. Remember that they can't wipe out Ma-Ma's gang just because. They needed evidence of wrongdoing, which was why they were taking in a prisoner. Maybe if Dredd got killed they would send more forces to investigate and maybe they would find something, but then again maybe they wouldn't. Ma-Ma is backed into a corner and is gambling.

Baron Bifford posted:

And learn about it they would. Backlash from the residents? Yes, yes, yes. They are kept in terror but there are limits to what a criminal gang can do. Ma-Ma publicly announced to the entire block that she wanted to kill the Judges (so that she could keep quiet a henchman who might talk). In the process, she tore through the building with a minigun that killed a lot of people's fathers, brothers, mothers, and children. If they succeeded in killing the Judges, do you seriously think word of that would not leak out and reach the Hall of Justice? Do you think the Judges won't rescind other priorities to marshal an army to take down Ma-Ma? Do you think Ma-Ma's gang can fight an army of vengeful Judges? Criminal gangs usually rely on discretion such that nobody can connect them to their crimes, and Ma-Ma deals with the Judges in the least discreet way imaginable.

The residents have nothing to gain by going to the Judges. Even if they did, they have no evidence to present. Once more: the Judges are horribly over-stretched and cannot send in armies on the word of some resident.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are you the one trying to troll me? I'm having a lot of fun here, actually.

jabby posted:

The residents have nothing to gain by going to the Judges. Even if they did, they have no evidence to present. Once more: the Judges are horribly over-stretched and cannot send in armies on the word of some resident.
Revenge for the deaths of their friends and loved ones? Wanting to have the crazy rear end bitch out of their lives? How spineless do you think human beings are? When two Judges go missing and somebody whispers to the Hall of Justice that they were killed in a massive firefight in the building they were last reported in, they will send their army.

jabby posted:

As stated in the film, Judges die every day. Not to mention they would never find out exactly what happened. Remember that they can't wipe out Ma-Ma's gang just because. They needed evidence of wrongdoing, which was why they were taking in a prisoner. Maybe if Dredd got killed they would send more forces to investigate and maybe they would find something, but then again maybe they wouldn't. Ma-Ma is backed into a corner and is gambling.
They'll find a ton of evidence, including 75,000 witnesses for them to interrogate.

It doesn't matter anyway. Dredd and Anderson wiped out the gang by themselves, and they didn't need to interrogate Kay to do that because Ma-Ma decided to come gunning for him, giving them all the pretext they needed.

I read a statement by the actress who played Ma-Ma (Lena Heady) that Ma-Ma knew her days were numbered, that she was an old shark waiting for a stronger fish to come kill her. I guess when the Judges arrived she realized her time was up and wanted to go out gloriously. This doesn't explain why her followers would want to go down with her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yannos posted:

Question about the judge dredd case files comics that have been brought up a couple of times: do they include colored comics as well?

They're black and white up to Case Files 11. After that the strip moved to full colour, so the Case Files did too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They go to the Hall of Justice then what? There entire family would be killed and it is stated that if Dredd and Anderson were killed it would have been seen in the line of duty and so what. They died doing there jobs like so many other judges. It was only when the possibility that Judges would find out that she is in charge of slo mo that it turned into a lock down. If they died and so did Avon then business would go on as usual.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

How spineless do you think human beings are?

She skinned people and threw them off a building.

Besides, you are forgetting how these people live. They lived under gangs before Ma-Ma, they will live under gangs after Ma-Ma. Two Judges actually showing up was the aberration (someone even points out how long its been since one came to Peach Trees). They have zero faith in the Judges to do anything for them. Hell, Dredd and Anderson is what caused the devastation in the first place. For all we know Peach Trees was practically peaceful under Ma-Ma. Even if by some miracle they got the Judges to come out in greater force they know it would only make the situation worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The whole plot hole being discussed here is irrelevant because, as seen later on in the firm, Ma-Ma has several corrupt judges on her payroll and they could easily concoct a story where Dredd was killed by random perps who were then killed by the corrupt judges, wrapping the whole thing up with zero consequences. This wraps up any lingering issues one might have in suspending disbelief and accepting the clearly communicated premise that the heroes are in mortal danger and are not going to be protected by their official status or other social institutions (and this ignores the very clear message we see in the first few minutes of the film establishing that, in this setting, those social institutions are already so weak they are basically irrelevant anyway). Just as some alternative international titles of Die Hard were "Crystal Jungle" or "Glass Trap," the setup here is also that the heroes are trapped in the jungle, a wild and uncivilized place where they must struggle alone without outside support from society.

We're all letting ourselves get side-tracked by discursions from someone treating the film as if it was something that actually happened instead of a piece of media to be analyzed critically. Though that would still be preferable if the alternative is a bunch of childish statements on morality and the world.

Basically, if you think the film didn't go far enough with its satire, then that's fine. But trying to be offensive and then stubbornly planting your feet and refusing to acknowledge any opposing arguments isn't argument in good faith or even trying to stimulate discussion. It's just being annoying.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, it's such a very brief little scene, there develop Anderson's character, not to highlight the harshness of Mega-City justice. The movie quickly forgets this moment to have Dredd go on to slaughter more armed thugs until there are no more armed thugs for him to slaughter, at which point the movie swiftly ends because it has nothing else to tell us. Very little attention is given to the personal lives of the block residents and their relationship with the government.

Andrersons character and her place in the plot is still part of the narrative. How does it develop her character? Why place a character in the film to bring this perspective?

Saying "its such a brief scene" doesent answer the question, why include it then?

• Locked thread