Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Does this game require you to collect the little star chunks throughout the game? Like, do they gate you with it? If so, how badly?

I ask because they look kind of annoying to pick up and I won't if I don't have to, and I don't think their use has been covered so far other than throwing them at dudes.

I also ask because I just bought this game because of this LP!

The local GameStop had only one copy, used, and it didn't have the case so I was like cya later shitlords, walked down the strip to Target and got it brand new for $50 :tipshat:

Thanks, 'betus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's not actually all that hard to get star bits since you're likely to be playing with the Wiimote facing the screen anyway.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

beep by grandpa posted:

The local GameStop had only one copy, used, and it didn't have the case so I was like cya later shitlords, walked down the strip to Target and got it brand new for $50 :tipshat:

I don't know how these games hold their value. There was a time when both Galaxy 1 and 2 were selling for $50 and it was maybe the first time I've ever seen that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

beep by grandpa posted:

Does this game require you to collect the little star chunks throughout the game? Like, do they gate you with it? If so, how badly?

I ask because they look kind of annoying to pick up and I won't if I don't have to, and I don't think their use has been covered so far other than throwing them at dudes.

I also ask because I just bought this game because of this LP!

Thanks, 'betus!

It's really not at all hard to grab star bits.

Falky
Feb 4, 2012

Bow ties are cool.

a spooky ghost posted:

I don't know how these games hold their value. There was a time when both Galaxy 1 and 2 were selling for $50 and it was maybe the first time I've ever seen that.

Super Mario 64 DS is still £30 in a lot of shops.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

beep by grandpa posted:

You don't need to collect them, I think, unless you want to play all the levels or get all the stars.

It really isn't that annoying to collect them. There are several points where a whole bunch will be on screen and you can just get them all by waving the remote at the screen like a madman.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ah okay, thanks guys! I haven't played it yet but just from the videos the Wiimote stuff looked kind of annoying :kiddo:

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

a spooky ghost posted:

Up until the last month or so Target still had Metroid: Other M for $50.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Lilfut posted:

I think it's aged pretty awful, for whatever that's worth.

It's certainly a game with flaws, but I forgive them since the game was quite literally the first of its kind. It established a formula which countless games following would improve upon and perfect.

EDIT:

beep by grandpa posted:

Ah okay, thanks guys! I haven't played it yet but just from the videos the Wiimote stuff looked kind of annoying :kiddo:

To answer your question more directly, they gate you from what are essentially bonus stages, very much like the first game.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, collecting star bits would be a chore if you had to run into them but with the pointer picking them up you can just quickly wave it around a cluster and carry on.

Will definitely be following this. The Galaxy games are the absolute pinnacle of the 3D platforming genre and I'll be amazed if Nintendo manages to release another 3D Mario that tops them. I'm another person that managed to obtain every Star. I don't want to be all "heh if you can't get the last Star you must SUCK AT GAMES :smug:" so instead I'll say that the final Star is doable. It's a lot more doable than it presents itself to be. I am sure that everybody who has posted about their failure has the capacity to obtain it if you keep at it. :)

But that's forever away. For now, Yoshi. Nintendo utilized him really well in this game and I'm seconding whoever said that adding the instruments in whenever you're on his back is a great callback.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

beep by grandpa posted:

I only played a few levels of Galaxy 1 and didn't pick it up again because the wiimote/nunchuck combo made me feel like I had no control over what was happening. Pretty sure I am the only person who feels that way, though. Even then the star bits weren't that bad to collect.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

a spooky ghost posted:

I think it's just a Mario thing. He's so popular that his games never go down in value.

New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is still full price despite it coming out more than half a decade ago, along with having a sequel, and Wii and Wii U iterations. There was also that (really overpriced) Super Mario All-Stars Collection which was just a rom and an emulator on a disc, and people still bought it in droves.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Yeah, collecting star bits would be a chore if you had to run into them but with the pointer picking them up you can just quickly wave it around a cluster and carry on.

Will definitely be following this. The Galaxy games are the absolute pinnacle of the 3D platforming genre and I'll be amazed if Nintendo manages to release another 3D Mario that tops them. I'm another person that managed to obtain every Star. I don't want to be all "heh if you can't get the last Star you must SUCK AT GAMES :smug:" so instead I'll say that the final Star is doable. It's a lot more doable than it presents itself to be. I am sure that everybody who has posted about their failure has the capacity to obtain it if you keep at it. :)

But that's forever away. For now, Yoshi. Nintendo utilized him really well in this game and I'm seconding whoever said that adding the instruments in whenever you're on his back is a great callback.

Actually I don't have the capacity because I don't have a Wii at the moment. :v:

Anyway, I'd say this game is definitely the best 3D Mario, but I don't agree that Mario 64 has aged terribly, outside of the camera controls, which are more a fault of the system itself than the game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zellus posted:

I think it's just a Mario thing. He's so popular that his games never go down in value.

New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is still full price despite it coming out more than half a decade ago, along with having a sequel, and Wii and Wii U iterations. There was also that (really overpriced) Super Mario All-Stars Collection which was just a rom and an emulator on a disc, and people still bought it in droves.

Yeah, moreso then any other game, Mario is pretty timeless. Excluding maybe the very first one.

Mario 64 still runs for about 20-30 bucks at local game stores, and people do buy it at twice the price of other 64 games. :v:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Toffile posted:

Lots of smaller level chunks that are centered around a theme instead of one monolith of a level. They stopped doing that after Sunshine. It just doesn't work with how Nintendo likes to design levels.

Which is a shame. It was just so fun to run around in the Sunshine maps just finding all the stuff they packed into them. Galaxy is still a blast and it feels very arcady, but I'll miss the expansive worlds in the first few 3D games.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Sudden Javelin posted:

Supposedly, Super Mario 3D Land is on the same level as the Galaxy games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Supposedly, Super Mario 3D Land is on the same level as the Galaxy games.

3D Land is really good, but it's nowhere near the level of the Galaxy games.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DarkHamsterlord posted:

3D Land is really good, but it's nowhere near the level of the Galaxy games.

I'd say it's about the same. And I really like the 2D structure in a 3D game thing it has going.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a very pretty game.

It can also get a bit weird at times.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mush Man posted:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a very pretty game.

That has to be a Dolphin bug.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

pandaK posted:

Which is a shame. It was just so fun to run around in the Sunshine maps just finding all the stuff they packed into them. Galaxy is still a blast and it feels very arcady, but I'll miss the expansive worlds in the first few 3D games.

Yea, I think my biggest gripe with the Galaxy games is that I really loved the larger, open world in 64 and Sunshine. It was really neat being thrown into the world and being given only a vague idea (well, vague in 64 more so than Sunshine) of what you needed to do at first, and you just had to kinda figure it out through exploration. That said, this game handles the obstacle course style level design extremely well.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Wind God Sety posted:

Yea, I think my biggest gripe with the Galaxy games is that I really loved the larger, open world in 64 and Sunshine. It was really neat being thrown into the world and being given only a vague idea (well, vague in 64 more so than Sunshine) of what you needed to do at first, and you just had to kinda figure it out through exploration.

One thing I always thought was cool about Super Mario 64's levels was that you can select stars at the beginning of a level and end up getting a completely different star, sometimes without even realizing it. So it became a matter of figuring out how each level changed slightly depending on which star you picked, making some areas or flags accessible or not.

The Galaxy games seem to be more along the lines of "get from point A to point B". And they come up with some astoundingly creative ways to elaborate on that deceptively simple formula, but yeah, I do kind of miss the more open-world that you got to run around in with 64 and Sunshine.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Suspicious Dish posted:

That has to be a Dolphin bug.

Yes. The fog that's usually in the scene hasn't been rendered.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd say it's about the same. And I really like the 2D structure in a 3D game thing it has going.

My biggest problems with it, and I did think it was quite a good game, are aesthetics. The levels are empty voids, and the music isn't particularly memorable.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pandaK posted:

I'd miss them in 64, not so much Sunshine.

Sunshine suffered quite a bit from having shells of a level and then having random set pieces block you and keep you in a fairly confined path.

You also really couldn't skip Shines, it was always in a set order. To make matters worse, you could always count on at least 5 possible Shines to be of the following type: Collect 8 red coins, beat a boss, chase Shadow Mario, chase that annoying racer, do a secret level. It was incredibly formulaic and dry.

Oh and not to mention the blue coins which only seem to exist as a way to pad out the game to 120 shines.

At least in 64 you were never really confined to just doing a certain star, you could always explore and find later star by accident.

I'll take smaller and more manageable levels if it allows for greater flexibility in goals.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Toffile posted:

chase that annoying racer

You do this three times in the whole game and it's annoying on Noki Bay if at all.

The only really awful part of the game is blue coins.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Toffile posted:

Oh and not to mention the blue coins which only seem to exist as a way to pad out the game to 120 shines.

Don't forget the ones that have completely arbitrary requirements, making getting 100% even more annoying. Spray a specific signpost in a specific level on a specific episode? gently caress you, Super Mario Sunshine.

Thankfully, their replacement in this game is handled so much better. (Those are Galaxy 2 spoilers not Sunshine spoilers)

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Chunky12345 posted:

You do this three times in the whole game and it's annoying on Noki Bay if at all.

The only really awful part of the game is blue coins.

The other awful part of Sunshine is the fact that your total number of stars doesn't actually matter when it comes to beating the game, only whether or not you've beaten the seventh shine in every stage. Oh, and you can't do shines out of order within a stage except for one particular case, so that means you have to complete the first seven shines of every stage. Which means collecting blue coins and secret shines doesn't actually count as progress toward the end of the game, meaning they only matter in the postgame or if you want to unlock every stage faster. I would have loved blue coins if they actually meant anything besides OCD fulfillment, but instead they're basically just extra secret shines that are slightly more obtuse and don't make you exit the level when you grab them.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
All this talk of this seemingly infamous last star has me worried. Is collecting all the stars even worth the anguish, and €40? I suppose I have someone getting them for me right here, but it'd be a shame if I left my game unfinished.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

horriblePencilist posted:

All this talk of this seemingly infamous last star has me worried. Is collecting all the stars even worth the anguish, and €40? I suppose I have someone getting them for me right here, but it'd be a shame if I left my game unfinished.

There is nothing special, no Kaizo bullshit. It's just a marathon level of a lot of tricky mechanics from throughout the game with no checkpoints. If you like the game and want a challenge it's a nice capstone, but it will not change your life.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

That's sorta why I was kinda bugged that people were talking so much about it. You're only going to get to the opportunity to go to that last star if you absolutely 100% the rest of the game. Most people who play this game will never get to that point. A lot of people who play this game will not even get halfway to it, but will still beat the game.
And if you are a total completionist, then you have the difficulty of that final star coming, and should hardly complain. It's hard, but by no means impossible.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh, so it's like the final level of Super Mario 3D Land (which I have yet to finish). I'm worried I don't possess that kind of tenacity, but who am I kidding; I'm gonna buy the game anyway.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 28, 2012

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Oh, so it's like the final level of Super Mario 3D lnad (which I have yet to finish). I'm worried I don't possess that kind of tenacity, but who am I kidding; I'm gonna buy the game anyway.

I'd say it's not quite as bad as that, but yes, that's about what we're talking about.

Zidago
Sep 8, 2012

I've never been in a fight before, yet why do I always think I can probably take everyone else down.
It's LPs like this that make me want to go out and buy the console and game. Nicely done so far.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Zidago posted:

It's LPs like this that make me want to go out and buy the console and game. Nicely done so far.

Good for you, the Wii Mini recently got announced (in Canada, but it probably doesn't have region locking like the old wii) and is only $100. Looks weird as heck though.

twomoon42
Nov 12, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I haven't played 2, but at least in 1 it's not bad at all. I'd assume 2 is the same way.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This is lookin' good! If you do like 1 star a video this is gonna take forever, though- which is fine by me. Maybe I should dig out my old save file and see how far I actually got to getting everything in the game... I may only need 15 more hours to find everything! :unsmigghh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jewel posted:

Good for you, the Wii Mini recently got announced (in Canada, but it probably doesn't have region locking like the old wii) and is only $100. Looks weird as heck though.
It also doesn't go online at all, if that matters to you.

The region-locking thing is interesting. Canada and the U.S. are in the same region, so it doesn't really matter in that respect, but if the Wii Mini is truly region-free, it might be worth looking into. (Region locking is one big reason I'm staying away from the 3DS.)

I've tinkered around with some more modern Mario games, but like at least one other person in this thread, never really played much of anything past Super Mario World. This one is beautiful and fun to watch; thanks!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anatharon posted:

My biggest problems with it, and I did think it was quite a good game, are aesthetics. The levels are empty voids, and the music isn't particularly memorable.

I can't really argue with that. The galaxy games are a lot more interesting visually and have better music to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLF Aurora
May 4, 2012

Jewel posted:

I'm steering clear of this one just because of the fact that they completely removed online play from it. (Plus I'd still like to play GameCube games from time to time.)

• Locked thread