Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe he was in the WHL 45 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Just curious, are you sure this guy played in the WHL?

The reason I ask this is because I've played with a number of ex-CHL/ECHL guys and they can pretty much score at will on anyone less than a B-league goalie. The B-league goalies usually force them to make one fewer move.

Also, "Pros" (I'll use airquotes for the WHL) are usually really nice. The way they become douchebags is that they become frustrated and then they start...y'know...trying.

I'm 100% sure that it was the WHL, and that he played from 2008-2012. Looked up a picture just to be certain. Also I've been playing for about 13 years (still suck) and you can just tell he was leagues better than anyone on the ice.

I don't know if my rec league is different or something, but usually the lower divs will still have some pretty good players, they're just mixed in with some pretty bad ones. A WHL player is definitely an anomaly though, usually the highest we see is a former Junior B player, and they'll still dominate.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Was finally able to play my first game in almost 2 months because of an inflamed groin. Thought I'd be more out of shape than I was.

Managed to get 2 assists on the night so it wasn't too bad, and thankfully now that it's the next morning nothing is in pain so I think I'm back to feeling 100%

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

the last signal... posted:

I don't know if my rec league is different or something, but usually the lower divs will still have some pretty good players, they're just mixed in with some pretty bad ones. A WHL player is definitely an anomaly though, usually the highest we see is a former Junior B player, and they'll still dominate.

In my rec league, we have a division above D1 which is almost entirely ex-pros. They even play on a different night that the rest of the league. It's still fun to watch their games though. The D1 guys are a mix of ex-pros and college players, a sizable portion of 'em could play in the higher division, but just don't want to.

A WHL player wouldn't be in our D3 or D2 unless it was a goalie, because we're short on D3 level goalies :v:.

Our league also "forces" players to move up if there's that obvious of a talent difference. I guess if the player really raised a fuss they could stay, but the league *really* tries to keep the talent distributed correctly.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

Our league also "forces" players to move up if there's that obvious of a talent difference. I guess if the player really raised a fuss they could stay, but the league *really* tries to keep the talent distributed correctly.

That's really good. The hockey director at the rink where I played beer league is too much of a money grubbing spineless poo poo to do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ Confirming dis. The amount of Silver A players in Bronze is retarded. There is also one team in Silver B, 90% of them play down in Bronze on the same team. It's dumb.

Sorry, he can't hear your complaints over the sound of him cashing the checks.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
As someone who played as a pro youth in handball(I know, different sport but situation is kinda the same since several of my teammates who moved up to the A-team won the Swedish championship just a few years later) that had to quit because of injury problem, that ex-WHLer is an rear end in a top hat who needs to be cheapshotted every time he make a fuzz. Life is cruel and doesn't always work out the way you want to but to take it out on a bunch of guys and girls that play for fun and just want a good time for their money is loving stupid.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

an rear end in a top hat who needs to be cheapshotted every time he make a fuzz.

Don't sink to his level, this is part of the problem not the solution, it'll ruin the game for you too, don't let him win by having this effect on you, 2 wrongs don't make a right, etc etc etc.

Also if he played WHL he's probably a shitload better at cheapshotting people than a regular div 7 level player is. Be careful you don't start something you can't finish.

EDIT: our league director is such a spineless poo poo that he refused to move our team up to silver despite winning 3 championships and winning 15 out of our last 16, often by 5+ goal margins. Why? Because he couldn't find another bronze team (probably because we keep kicking the poo poo out of them and they hate playing us 33% of the time) and didn't want to lose the league despite everyone including us not having a good time with such lopsided games. Then instead he put his team as the 4th silver team.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 27, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah, starting poo poo with an ex-WHLer of all the junior leagues is the quickest way to get your poo poo pushed in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

20% off everything on Hockey Monkey with coupon code BLKNOV20 through November 30.

This makes almost everything a bit cheaper than they were for Friday and yesterday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks for posting that!

They also have additional sales in certain areas for one day only. Today its protective. S19 helmet was 209.00 now 59.99 with a shitload of colors/sizes available. Seems like a good deal if you need a new bonnet. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-helmet-stealth-s19-zshock.html

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

S19 helmet is TERRIBLE. No returns on clearance items either.

I fell for their $60 clearance price on that a couple months ago and I hate myself every time I put it on. The drat thing is gigantic as far as side-to-side fit. There's probably a good half-inch of space on either side of my head, which is extremely bad. You can adjust the front-to-back fitting with the thing in the back, but that's about it. The settings are spaced way too far apart too. It's either flopping all over, or crushing my skull. I hate this helmet, almost more than my old Bauer's awful glue that gets in my hair and takes 3 washes to get out.

I need to find a new helmet during the sale, but I'll never buy one again without trying it on. The only good thing about it, is that it's the lightest helmet I've owned by far.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 27, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, a wider helmet sounds pretty good to me. I wear the biggest one CCM makes and it's still on the snug side.

But as I mentioned the last time helmets came up, I have an enormous head. Like sputnik: spherical, but pointy in places.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I don't know, a wider helmet sounds pretty good to me. I wear the biggest one CCM makes and it's still on the snug side.

But as I mentioned the last time helmets came up, I have an enormous head. Like sputnik: spherical, but pointy in places.

:hfive: giant head brigade. I wear size 8 fitted caps, and that's only because I'm too cheap to get them custom made. I generally just don't wear caps because the size 8s look ridiculous on me.

I got myself the Bauer 5500 because it was one of two models Bauer had that fit my giant Macy's day float sized head.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I loved how my Bauer fit, but the glue for the pads inside breaks down and constantly gets in my hair as the pads shift.

Reebok helmets are ugly, so I'll probably look CCM. I just need to pack my 9mm, take a roadtrip to Hockey-X in Oakland and try them all on.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I get so sad every time this thread turns to talk about new gear because I am poor as poo poo and if I didn't ref I couldn't even afford to play as much as I do.

edit: still spent $50 at Hockey X last Friday just buying new laces, socks and tape and getting my skates sharpened. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's a win if you get out of Hockey-X without spending over $100.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

I get so sad every time this thread turns to talk about new gear because I am poor as poo poo and if I didn't ref I couldn't even afford to play as much as I do.

edit: still spent $50 at Hockey X last Friday just buying new laces, socks and tape and getting my skates sharpened. :sigh:

Sell sba's goalie pads for cash if you can get all of the dust off of them.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

Thanks for posting that!

They also have additional sales in certain areas for one day only. Today its protective. S19 helmet was 209.00 now 59.99 with a shitload of colors/sizes available. Seems like a good deal if you need a new bonnet. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-helmet-stealth-s19-zshock.html
EVERYBODY BE CAREFUL OF THE S19. There's a reason it didn't sell very well: it fit poorly on most heads.

If you've tried one on and it fit well, go nuts. If you haven't tried this helmet on before, do not buy it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ :hf:

https://www.icewarehouse.com has 20% off everything with CYBER20 until Nov 30.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

coldwind posted:

EVERYBODY BE CAREFUL OF THE S19. There's a reason it didn't sell very well: it fit poorly on most heads.

If you've tried one on and it fit well, go nuts. If you haven't tried this helmet on before, do not buy it.

As the proud owner of an S19 sitting unused on the floor of my closet, I would also recommend trying it on first.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

robcat posted:

As the proud owner of an S19 sitting unused on the floor of my closet, I would also recommend trying it on first.

Mine's in the storage bin on my balcony!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nothing could fit worse than the Bauer 9500.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

The only adjustment on the S19 is a small hat clasp kinda thing thats on the back of the liner.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The 9500 isn't deep enough to stay on your head which is why Bauer released the 9900 immediately after.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Topoisomerase posted:

I get sad whenever you talk about hockey, because I don't have a rink.

That said, we are gonna try lay some ice outside this weekend, but we need it to get a bit colder first. The hockey club I founded also got it's bank account yesterday, so now we can apply for membership in the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation, and that is a humongous leap towards my regions first ice rink.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Congrats, Anders, you're one step closer to not living in a third world region.

:colbert: Yes, having an established local beer league is a requirement to being a developed nation.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Pleads posted:

Congrats, Anders, you're one step closer to not living in a third world region.

:colbert: Yes, having an established local beer league is a requirement to being a developed nation.

If I get the job as rink manager too, am I then considered a region leader?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

No then you'd just be a rink rat.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Have you actually tried on the S19? I've tried on both, there is absolutely no question that the S19 was worse on my head.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Sell sba's goalie pads for cash if you can get all of the dust off of them.

:master:

You could also sell his dolls for some cash.

As a proud owner of an S19, it fits me just great. I also wear a 7 5/8s hat.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

I don't think it's so much about your 7 5/8 head size as it is the fact that your head is made out of modelling clay.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anders posted:

If I get the job as rink manager too, am I then considered a region leader?

I think you're then considered mentally handicapped.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Is this you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What joke image do you post when I admit I measure for a size 8 hat?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

What joke image do you post when I admit I measure for a size 8 hat?

I *wish* size 8 fit me. If I have my head completely shaved, it worked, but otherwise it looks like I'm wearing a yarmulke with a brim.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I finally got a backpack bag, except now I dont play for like 2 weeks.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

sellouts posted:

I think you're then considered mentally handicapped.
Probably true.

Still, would be nice to play hockey, and drive a Zamboni at work.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Anders posted:

Still, would be nice to play hockey, and drive a Zamboni atto work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
They are opening a Hockey Giant store here, how do I go about applying for a job where I work the absolute minimum amount of hours required to get a discount?