Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The female lead in P3P is so much better it bums me out that the male is still cannon. :(

Junpei is also less of an rear end in a top hat in her story as well so bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Radish posted:

The female lead in P3P is so much better it bums me out that the male is still cannon. :(

Actually in her story Junpei starts out as a creep. It was weird, I actually felt objectified. MALE GAZE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Radish posted:

Really? I thought Junpei was a huge rear end in a top hat in the Female MC storyline compared to the Male one. I thought it was a nice touch he treated you differently.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone happen to have any ipod megaten wallpapers? I can only find normal computer ones that don't fit right.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. He's pretty male gazey in both versions, but at least in the female side he treats you more like a friend when he's not being super bitter. In the male side for most of the game your only interaction is when he's jealously lashing out.

EDIT: I've been using this one on my phone I edited a while back

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 27, 2012

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sankis posted:

My first Persona game was Persona 4. I beat it, thoroughly enjoyed it, and am now replaying it in Golden. However, my purchase of a Vita has made me curious about Persona 3. I hear nothing but praise for it.

The choice would have obvious a week ago, but now that I have a Vita I'm not so sure. As a first time player of Persona 3 should I go for FES (which would be played on the PS2 emulator on PC, if that matters, as my PS2 is busted) or Persona 3 Portable? I've read up on some of the changes but I can't decide :(. Are things like the lack of 3d scenes going to be something I'm likely to notice my first time through or is the visual novel element done well enough? Do they feature the same amount of voice?

I'd almost certainly play as the male if I did go P3P since the female character sounds like something for returning players. I'd mostly be playing for the story so I don't necessarily care about whatever optional dungeon FES adds.

If story is what you'll be playing for you should definetly play FES, in easy mode if you like, unless you're a returning player the gameplay improvements don't make up for the dull VN-style cutscenes in my opinion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Petiso posted:

If story is what you'll be playing for you should definetly play FES, in easy mode if you like, unless you're a returning player the gameplay improvements don't make up for the dull VN-style cutscenes in my opinion.

Plus FES has The Answer which really does wrap up the main story pretty well and I guess is 'canon' for stuff like P4 Arena. So if he's wanting to go forward FES is probably his best bet.

Also, on the earlier discussion of the FeMC for P3P, I did not enjoy playing her side of the story because of the party member's Social Links. Between Ken's and Akihiko's being really boring and uninteresting (except when they fight over you in Tarturus if you talk to them. That's not weird at all) to all the extra poo poo that happens to Shinji because of it I honestly just fell like I was kind just ruining poo poo by being around it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, I'm gonna be another one going against the goon consensus and say that despite P3P having a better battle system and FemC story, the actual visual novel style bored me to tears, to the point where I couldn't finish a run. Even though it sounds minor, you can't underestimate how much having a little mans you control run around the game world draws you into it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

fount of knowledge posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be another one going against the goon consensus and say that despite P3P having a better battle system and FemC story, the actual visual novel style bored me to tears, to the point where I couldn't finish a run. Even though it sounds minor, you can't underestimate how much having a little mans you control run around the game world draws you into it.

I'll play counterpoint to this, I actualy think the Visual Novel style fit the game's writing really well. Considering the game's graphics and sprites were never exactly the best to begin with, losing out on them didn't really seem too big a loss. Additionally, the "SMT Narrator" style (You see X. Eat it? You feel X. Y?) and so on kind of fits the visual novel format, and not having to run through the hallways in school made navigation faster and more fluid.

Yeah, it's kind of choppy at times and I'm not sure if it's BETTER than the original way, but I kind of dug how they did it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

I feel the exact opposite. All the little man running around did was waste my time and I enjoyed how P3P was twice as fast to play without it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, P3 doesn't exactly have amazing graphics and I thought the cutscenes weren't acted very well to begin with. I'd rather just have them out of the way so I can get back to doing dumb poo poo at Tartarus or whatever. Now Persona 4? There's a game I wouldn't want to have visual novel style.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, the VN style killed P3P for me too, even though the FMC seemed pretty cool. It just takes away what little interactivity the game had and turns it into a really, really average VN.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the animated cutscenes in P3 and P4 were pretty darn ugly, especially compared to the in-game character portraits, but then the anime usually wasn't that much better either. The stuff in P4A was slightly better and that was done by Madhouse who weren't in charge of the anime.

The voice acting in cutscenes, at least in P4, also got really hard to hear sometimes.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 27, 2012

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Those are fair points, which is the reason why I bolded the "I play for the story" part.
I'm sure most of us played one of the PS2 versions first and because of that came to greatly appreciate P3P's improvements, but forgetting gameplay aspects for a moment, you have to admit that things such as the first Persona summoning, Elizabeth's dates, the death of important characters or the final cutscenes look a lot less impressive/funny without actual animations, I know I personally wouldn't have enjoyed the story as much had I played the Portable version first.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, P3 doesn't exactly have amazing graphics and I thought the cutscenes weren't acted very well to begin with. I'd rather just have them out of the way so I can get back to doing dumb poo poo at Tartarus or whatever. Now Persona 4? There's a game I wouldn't want to have visual novel style.

but persona 4 is more of a visual novel than P3, how does THAT make sense?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I played P3P first, then bought FES and played it. I enjoyed FES more, but it's really not a big deal, just play the one that's easier for you to get.

A word of warning though: if you go with P3P and decide to look up cutscenes online, be very careful. I decided to do that at one point while playing P3P and the YouTube related videos spoiled a plot twist for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Captain Failcon posted:

but persona 4 is more of a visual novel than P3, how does THAT make sense?

I'm liking what's happening more in the cutscenes, I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P3P's VN style really didn't matter to me, because P3's story is not good enough for me to really feel like I honestly should care what the characters are doing while moving. I mean, if you gave me more stuff like Thanatos tearing into the Magician in the in-game engine style, I'd probably care more, but it's not like P3 ever did anything with the in-game engine that made me think "OH MAN, getting rid of this would ruin the game." or something like that.

I mean, I hate the VN style in general, but it's not like P3's original style is that much different, the sprites don't seem human enough for me to really think much of them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more I think about it I feel like P3 in general just isn't a good enough game in the first place to warrant this debate. Either one is going to be fine.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

The more I think about it I feel like P3 in general just isn't a good enough game in the first place to warrant this debate. Either one is going to be fine.

No don't say that, you're going to start a debate about whether P3 or P4 is better, it always happens.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
And the answer always ends up being P2, which makes the whole thing moot.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

DarkHamsterlord posted:

No don't say that, you're going to start a debate about whether P3 or P4 is better, it always happens.

I see you've forgotten Persona 2 :smug:

No seriously, let's not please?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I gotta wonder if P3 would have enough legs to warrant a P3 Vita. I mean, wasn't that supposedly the more "popular" one in Japan?

I mean they're more likely to do that than actually work on Persona 5.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

I gotta wonder if P3 would have enough legs to warrant a P3 Vita. I mean, wasn't that supposedly the more "popular" one in Japan?

I mean they're more likely to do that than actually work on Persona 5.

I can't really see them doing that, if only because they just released P3P.

But man, a PS Vita version of Persona 3 with all the best parts of P3P and FES with some of the new mechanics from Persona 4 Golden might just be my favorite game of all time if they released it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They've already said that Persona 5 is being worked on, but they won't give out any details, in a couple interviews.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think they are both super rad and also cool to the max, so why debate at all?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Syrg Sapphire posted:

This is totally the right answer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I see you've forgotten Persona 2 :smug:

Which one, though? Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment? :shepicide:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
EP for breaking the norm of high schoolers saving the world.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Man, I just want to reiterate that despite my (debatable) opinions on P3P, Persona 4 Golden is amazing. So glad I stopped playing the Ps2 version so I could experience this "fresh".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

Which one, though? Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment? :shepicide:

Both of them it's totally a singular ~creative work~.

I still wanna do that thing a goon suggested where you play Eternal Punishment up to Mt. Iwato when poo poo starts being explained, then play all the way through Innocent Sin, then go back and finish EP. I just don't feel like surrendering 150 hours of my life to it at the moment.

Seriously tho, P3 and P4 are easily two of the best JRPGs from last gen (when there was actual competition), but Persona 2 is the best Persona game, which arguably makes it the best MegaTen game period.

EDIT: They really need to do some kind of crazy revamp that combines the two games like that, or as some kind of chapter-alternating thing like It or something. It would be the Best JRPG Story.

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 28, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 2 may have the most well-written stories of the Persona games, but I think the gameplay cripples it too much for it to seriously be a contender for best anything other than story and this is coming from someone who loved pretty much every little thing about P2. THose games just get ridiculously tedious to play with how bad the combat is.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The thing I hate about the first two games is the map screen. For those of you who have only played P3 or P4: that overworld menu icon used to be moved by you to whatever building you wanted to go to instead of being picked by a menu. Oh yeah, you also would randomly be attacked by demons while moving it. Then once you get where you're going it's infested with demons as well.

P2 does have a pretty good story, but by the third or fourth battle trying to go a block away, you get sick of it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dehry posted:

The thing I hate about the first two games is the map screen. For those of you who have only played P3 or P4: that overworld menu icon used to be moved by you to whatever building you wanted to go to instead of being picked by a menu. Oh yeah, you also would randomly be attacked by demons while moving it. Then once you get where you're going it's infested with demons as well.

P2 does have a pretty good story, but by the third or fourth battle trying to go a block away, you get sick of it.

You are misremembering. P2 doesn't have battles on the city map, even when it should (like after the Nazi invasion). I imagine what you're thinking of is the PS1 and PSP versions of P1.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

You are misremembering. P2 doesn't have battles on the city map, even when it should (like after the Nazi invasion). I imagine what you're thinking of is the PS1 and PSP versions of P1.

I guess P1 left that bad of a taste in my mouth. I stopped playing it after a couple hours. P2 IS is keeping my interest.

Also, not having a spoiler tag on the reply page sucks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Persona 2 may have the most well-written stories of the Persona games, but I think the gameplay cripples it too much for it to seriously be a contender for best anything other than story and this is coming from someone who loved pretty much every little thing about P2. THose games just get ridiculously tedious to play with how bad the combat is.

I'll agree that there's too many random encounters and (to stay at a decent level and make a lot of personae) too much grinding and poo poo.

I wouldn't say the gameplay is linearly worse, though. You spend a lot of time in 3/4 running around aimlessly talking to everyone in a couple small locations, and I got really tired of skipping through S Link dialogue for NPCs I didn't care about just for the mechanical benefits. The combat plays better and is more balanced in 3/4, but being able to change personas for everyone (not just the protagonist) is nice even if you can get by using the plot ones for the most part.

And further on that "tedious" note... I know it's a bit cliche to point out that it takes like 30 minutes before you control your guy at all and another hour from that or something before you get to actual core gameplay in Persona 4, but it's true. The ratio of cutscene and dialogue to gameplay in the whole series is kinda bad, and none of them are games for the impatient or easily distracted. Tedium of this sort is almost inextricable from the entire genre, these days.

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

For me, the story is absolutely enough and curbstomps P3 and P4 like nobody's business.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just love some of the weird mechanics they tied into the story (see: rumors changing store contents or opening up sidequests). Also blah blah FES burning me out of any goodwill towards the P3/4 formula.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How did an expansion pack to Persona 3 "burn you out" of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I just love some of the weird mechanics they tied into the story (see: rumors changing store contents or opening up sidequests). Also blah blah FES burning me out of any goodwill towards the P3/4 formula.

"Burned out" is a good word. I think Persona 3 and 4 are both excellent JRPGs, but I hope Persona 5 will either give us some new game mechanics to replace S Links and the calendar, or at least transplant that gameplay to a different environment like a university or office.

I actually suspect they will; having to work in a different technical framework and make more poo poo from scratch (instead of cranking out two virtually-identical games on the same hardware) should also give them an excuse to go back to the creative well.