Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A homestuck merchandise horror story...

"What does that shirt mean?", asked my grandmother. She tries to understand the things I was interested in, and has an eye for detail. I looked down and silently cursed. I was wearing a shirt with John's eratz slimer logo on it. How the hell do you explain Homestuck to a person who doesn't even understand email, let alone webcomics or multimedia-hybrids-with-user-participation? "It's...from a tv show," I answered, reluctantly. It wasn't a total lie. A television program was probably the closest she would be able to grasp to the flash movies. "Just a thing I watch now and then." This seemed to mollify her, and I thought I was safe.

"Well, what's it's name?" she persisted. Double-crap. 'Green Slime Ghost' just sounds dumb. "It...doesn't really have a name? It's just a logo." "Doesn't have a name? Everything has a name."

There was no escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ariong posted:

On that fateful day, every payphone in the world rang at the same time, each with a different Homestuck character on the other end. Not a one was missed.

The Haunted Void: I Love Squiddles, by 1025 Entertainment

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

Bobulus posted:

"What does that shirt mean?", asked my grandmother. She tries to understand the things I was interested in, and has an eye for detail. I looked down and silently cursed. I was wearing a shirt with John's eratz slimer logo on it. How the hell do you explain Homestuck to a person who doesn't even understand email, let alone webcomics or multimedia-hybrids-with-user-participation? "It's...from a tv show," I answered, reluctantly. It wasn't a total lie. A television program was probably the closest she would be able to grasp to the flash movies. "Just a thing I watch now and then." This seemed to mollify her, and I thought I was safe.

"Well, what's it's name?" she persisted. Double-crap. 'Green Slime Ghost' just sounds dumb. "It...doesn't really have a name? It's just a logo." "Doesn't have a name? Everything has a name."

There was no escape.

"It's from Homestuck. It's a comic book on the internet."

How hard was that?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Or if that was too hard, you could've just said it was a Ghostbusters shirt? :confused:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Nonbaka posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006186
This is the page where we see that there will be 6 sub-acts in act 6.
From a few pages after that, http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006193

Hussiebot posted:

Nobody should ever mess with you.

Not even me.
Hussie is the ultimate villain of this whole thing, and Jade is going to defeat him.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The troll shirts are probably safest since they're just astrology symbols.

...of course you then run the risk of meeting an astrology nut.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
You guys really live in a terrifying world, where there's always a Homestuck person lurking behind the bushes just waiting to make awkward conversation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Or you're an Aquarius.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Seoinin posted:

You guys really live in a terrifying world, where there's always a Homestuck person lurking behind the bushes just waiting to make awkward conversation.

They're watching you, you know. Just waiting for a chance to leap forth and start telling you about their ships.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My Seer of Mind tshirt is what I wear to the gym. :colbert:

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

IUG posted:

Or you're an Aquarius.

I'm Aquarius and I would've bought that shirt if it wasn't for Eridan, and now Cronus.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So I was wearing my WhatPumpkin(c) merch the other day and some defect walks up to me all like oh gner gner youre a scorpio too gner gner. Well I wasn't about to let that kind of poo poo slide, so I took off my shades real slow and looked him in the eye and said "Let me tell you about Homestuck." Then I dragon uppercutted him in the neck and he went spinning into a fruit cart.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
seoinin is this you???

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

I always get asked if I'm a Cancer when I wear my sufferer necklace and then the next question is inevitably "...so you just really like 69?"

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I always get asked if I'm a Cancer when I wear my sufferer necklace and then the next question is inevitably "...so you just really like 69?"

Well, who doesn't? :q:

e:

Seoinin posted:

So I was wearing my WhatPumpkin(c) merch the other day and some defect walks up to me all like oh gner gner youre a scorpio too gner gner. Well I wasn't about to let that kind of poo poo slide, so I took off my shades real slow and looked him in the eye and said "Let me tell you about Homestuck." Then I dragon uppercutted him in the neck and he went spinning into a fruit cart.

nice story bro, but the zodiac shirts are topatoco, not whatpumpkin :smug:

Segata Sanshiro fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 28, 2012

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Someone who has no idea what it involves.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Feranon posted:

nice story bro, but the zodiac shirts are topatoco, not whatpumpkin :smug:

He was clearly wearing a troll pin :colbert:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Someone who has no idea what it involves.

Different strokes I guess! :shrug:

Red Metal posted:

He was clearly wearing a troll pin :colbert:

Ah, touché. I forgot about those.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rooreelooo posted:

Besides, what with all the fourth wall breaking and boundaries between comic and reality being torn down, there's nothing stopping hussie from saying 'the end, thanks for watching' and then having caliborn turn up and saying 'FINALLY. MY CHANCE TO TRULY gently caress. poo poo. UP.' and kicking off a giant post-act seven slaughter, spurring a slew of out-of-comic-structure shenanigans.

Oh jesus, I could actually see this being a thing. I was already expecting the possibility of a false ending (the way dreambubbles start with the character waking up in them thinking the memory is real seems like a great setup for what appears to be an epilogue to turn out to be an illusion), but Caliborn/Lord English to take on the seven act structure itself? That'd be something.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I don't want to buy my corresponding troll shirt because I don't like Vriska

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 28, 2012

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What a8out Arenea?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bell_ posted:

What a8out Arenea?

She doesn't wear that shirt, though - she wears a dress with a white ♏ on it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

McStephenson posted:

I don't want to buy my corresponding troll shirt because I don't like Vriska
I'm an Aquarius. :saddowns:

I'd buy a Vriska shirt in a heartbeat, but I'd feel weird wearing the wrong sign.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Elysiume posted:

I'd buy a Vriska shirt in a heartbeat, but I'd feel weird wearing the wrong sign.

You could buy both, and then people who actually knew your horoscope wouldn't think you were an astro-poseur.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

At Thanksgiving my 12-year-old cousin showed up wearing Dave's broken record shirt. I happened to have my SBaHJ Big Man shirt in my car, so I showed it to her. She was thrilled to have somebody to talk Homestuck with, and it turns out she dressed up as Nepeta for Halloween.

She was always into princess-type things as a little girl, but now she's growing up. :3:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Haschel Cedricson posted:

At Thanksgiving my 12-year-old cousin showed up wearing Dave's broken record shirt. I happened to have my SBaHJ Big Man shirt in my car, so I showed it to her. She was thrilled to have somebody to talk Homestuck with, and it turns out she dressed up as Nepeta for Halloween.

She was always into princess-type things as a little girl, but now she's growing up. :3:

You know, normally I'd be a bit sketched out about a Homestuck cosplayer, but somehow I can't help but think that a 12-year-old girl trick-or-treating as Nepeta is both appropriate and cute. :3:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bobulus posted:

There was no escape.

I usually just tell people "it's an anime version of Slimer from Ghostbusters, it's sort of a joke" and most people are pop culturally aware enough to understand that if they ask me.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Here's a bit of music for those of you who don't want to brave the Tumblrs. The first is Valor by Radiation. It was intended to be Jake English's theme, but he gave up on it. The other is a snippet of a piano version of Homestuck (the song) by Clark Powell that's apparently being made specifically for the comic. It sounds so sad :(.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That piano theme definitely does sound melancholy, much like the source theme. The fact that the song "Homestuck" is one of its saddest, soberest tunes gives me a little tingle of dread.

If this comic doesn't end happily I will flip a table so hard the very planets will scatter like ice cubes across kitchen tile

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Y'all are paranoid, I have not had one person try to talk to me about Homestuck upon seeing my record shirt.

I want the Void shirt. Equius and Roxy, Void supremacy.

Dolash posted:

Oh jesus, I could actually see this being a thing. I was already expecting the possibility of a false ending (the way dreambubbles start with the character waking up in them thinking the memory is real seems like a great setup for what appears to be an epilogue to turn out to be an illusion), but Caliborn/Lord English to take on the seven act structure itself? That'd be something.

And then Vriska defeats him and we launch into Act 8: Vriskatime Forever.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
I love just about everything Powell composes. Even his non-Homestuck album linked earlier (We Are All Satellites) was a real treat. The melancholy of this tune has me wondering when we'll be hearing it, because there's no doubt that we will.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bell_ posted:

I love just about everything Powell composes. Even his non-Homestuck album linked earlier (We Are All Satellites) was a real treat. The melancholy of this tune has me wondering when we'll be hearing it, because there's no doubt that we will.

I commissioned a song by him, for a friend. I really like how it turned out, and he's a cool guy to do business with - asked for feedback, and didn't blink an eyelid when this meant restarting from scratch.

Homestuck Anthem is my favourite piece of music. I don't think anything else quite approaches the Miracle of a New Beginning.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Elysiume posted:

You could also find out your natal chart and find out what planet(s) are in Scorpio. (Pluto is almost guaranteed to be in Scorpio)

(I like astrology from a myth/fun stuff standpoint)

Also I'm glad my sun sign is a Virgo/Libra Cusp because I like both Kanaya and Terezi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm a traditional Leo but a sidereal Cancer.

Normally I wouldn't give a gently caress about the distinction, but then Homestuck happened.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Oxxidation posted:

I'm a traditional Leo but a sidereal Cancer.

Normally I wouldn't give a gently caress about the distinction, but then Homestuck happened.

I am a traditional Pisces, sidereal Aquarius.

So yeah.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
Astrological shenanigans place me firmly on Team Charge.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Silva posted:

I'm Aquarius and I would've bought that shirt if it wasn't for Eridan, and now Cronus.
This was the point I was trying to make. Although I'm not into astrology so I'm in a no-win situation anyways.

Seoinin posted:

Did the whole audience start bursting into applause?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

IUG posted:

Did the whole audience start bursting into applause?

And it turned out, that Homestuck fan was Albert Einstein.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Bell_ posted:

Astrological shenanigans place me firmly on Team Charge.

Same. Although the fact that Tavros/Aradia are friends because Taurus is sidereal Aries never occurred to me until now.

I literally never thought it would be possible for me to care about astrology, but it seems Homestuck's entire purpose is to make you not only care about but learn to love otherwise meaningless or awful things.

Which I consider the best meta-joke ever.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nerdbot posted:

And it turned out, that Homestuck fan was Albert Einstein.

Welcome to the Republican Party.