Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

Tummy time sucks if you can't figure out how to move your body. I second the suggestion of wearing your baby a lot during the day rather than leave her laying down on her back in a basinette, swing, etc. The idea of tummy time came about because babies were constantly on their backs or in a baby container of some sort. With babywearing, they get a lot of gentle practice holding their head and adjusting their body as you move around.

Interestingly, there are some child development folks who believe that you should let babies learn to roll, crawl, and walk at their own pace, and not interfere by putting them into positions they can't get into themselves (here's some more info on that: http://www.janetlansbury.com/2009/09/set-me-free/).

You could also do tummy time while she's lying on your chest, and you don't need to be completely horizontal. Many babies like that better. We didn't do much regular tummy time at all, just on my chest or babywearing.

Re: putting babies in positions they can't get into: I have the impression the advice given varies a lot. I've been told to not put the baby in a sitting position at all until he could do it on his own, because it's not good for hips/spine etc. That link is interesting although a bit dramatic ;) (" “Every time we put an infant in a position she cannot change all by herself, we deprive her from moving freely. So she feels passive, helpless, and less confident.”)

e: new page, have a baby dressed for a chilly November day:

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Chris hated tummy time, so my husband and I sat him upright in the crook of our arm a lot. He never really liked being on his back either, didn't like other people holding him cause they would cradle him like a, well, baby, but with me and Daddy would prop him upright.

I also would kind of lay back and put my feet up so he had a more upright perch lying along my legs. He had phenomenal neck control by one month old. Here's kind of a crappy example pic:

It was also good for face-to-face time and apparently a great position for pooping.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So my daughter is about 4 and she's been at home with me the whole time since she was born, which has been good for her we think, but she's become a super clingy daddy's girl. Tonight I went out to do some dumb shopping and left her with my wife and she whined about how she missed me and wanted me to come home, the other day when she was mad at my wife she said she loved Daddy more than Mommy (which I mean, I'm sure she doesn't mean as hurtful as it is, she was just mad... But still...) etc... I know she's just a 4 year old but I think it makes my wife very depressed and what not.

So we were thinking they need some bonding time, Mommy+Julie activities/girls nights when I'm not around. My wife works long hours and I'm a stay at home dad so I'm around her a lot more. Anyone else have any suggestions or is it like a "yeah duh do that" situation?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Okay. She gets a lot of time lying on us diagonally. She's had strong neck muscles since birth so we're not worried about that. It's more when it comes time for her to crawl.

She loves to sit up and she can almost pull herself to a sitting position now. I let her lie on her back on her play mat with all of her toys and she'll roll around and wriggle to get to the toys she wants, so she's pretty happy with that.

Is wriggling places normal for a 3-4 month old? She does it a lot. One time she rolled and wriggled right under her crib, then got upset because she hit a leg and couldn't wriggle in that direction anymore.

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Hello thread. I am about to fly with my 18 month old, alone. Please kill me.

Or, ideas. I decided not to risk a nighttime flight because if he slept that would be awesome, but if he didn't it would be hell. We're leaving the house at 5:00 AM and I plan to put him to bed at 5:00 PM the night before so he's tanked up on sleep and in a great mood. We should get into our new destination around noon thirty.

So far I have snacks...and that's it. We don't have a portable DVD player and I've actually tried to get him to watch a little TV before (bad mommy), but he's not interested. Because he hates sitting still.

He's flying as a lap infant, no flaming please. Has anyone done this before? I just feel so much dread when I think about it.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

LuckyDaemon posted:

Or, ideas. I decided not to risk a nighttime flight because if he slept that would be awesome, but if he didn't it would be hell. We're leaving the house at 5:00 AM and I plan to put him to bed at 5:00 PM the night before so he's tanked up on sleep and in a great mood. We should get into our new destination around noon thirty.

So far I have snacks...and that's it. We don't have a portable DVD player and I've actually tried to get him to watch a little TV before (bad mommy), but he's not interested. Because he hates sitting still.

He's flying as a lap infant, no flaming please. Has anyone done this before? I just feel so much dread when I think about it.

Does he like presents? Wrapped small toys can be a hit. Foods he doesn't get to eat often. Coloring books and crayons or markers are good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LuckyDaemon posted:

TV doesn't make you a bad parent, that's just for crazy moon people. I've taken my daughter a few times (12-14-16 months) and most of the time it was OK. The first time I tried the extra sleepy method so she'd sleep on the plane, and that went atrociously. She screamed most of the time so I never tried that again. The last time I downloaded a bunch of animal videos from Youtube and played those for her on my laptop and that kept her entertained for about 15 minutes at a time. I bought a couple of new books and different treats just for the plane trip. Hopefully he's bonded somewhat to a blanket or stuffed toy, because that usually helps a bit too. Take off can be intense but most of the time you're really just fighting boredom and sitting still.

If you're at all sensitive to stranger's perceptions of you, you'll want to prepare to steel yourself a bit. You might get some eyerolls, sighs, and under the breath bitching from people if he's crying or fussing. People are extra rude when flying.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Does he like presents? Wrapped small toys can be a hit. Foods he doesn't get to eat often. Coloring books and crayons or markers are good.

My mom did this when she had to take my sister and I on a 12 hour road trip by herself when I was about that age. She went to the dollar store and got a bunch of cheap toys and wrapped them up and gave us a new present once an hour, so we'd get a new toy to play with once the novelty of the previous one had worn off. She says it saved her sanity.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

LuckyDaemon posted:

Other's have great ideas for the kid, but if you want to avoid people being bitchy, you may want to buy a lot of ear plugs and let people know you're giving them out for free and that you're sorry if she cries, etc.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Dear Prudence posted:

Other's have great ideas for the kid, but if you want to avoid people being bitchy, you may want to buy a lot of ear plugs and let people know you're giving them out for free and that you're sorry if she cries, etc.

I personally think this is a bit much. Babies are a part of life, people deal with it. You don't have to apologise to strangers just for having a kid. You just do your best.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
People may rant on twitter or whatever but in real life, I haven't really encountered anyone who was bitchy to us because of a noisy kid. Just don't have an entitled attitude about your kid and people are understanding. In fact, many more people have been in that situation than you'd think and might even be thinking something like "I remember those miserable days."

Have your 18-month-old carry his own backpack and fill it with stuff he likes (be that trains, coloring supplies). We also used the wrapped gift idea last time we flew and it worked very well. I wrapped up mostly things that were his already and for some reason that really clicked with him, but also wrapped up some m&ms. Having a lot of snacks is key and if there's something tasty that really shuts him up, no guilt. Pack it in case of a 3-alarm meltdown.

One time we had a bad situation with delayed flights and travel triggering diarrhea - I highly suggest you have enough diapers in non-checked bags to make it through a full day because inside the airport diapers are sold in packs of like 3 for $10, something ridiculous.

Toadpuppy
Apr 8, 2003

Scuttlebutt posted:

Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

My daughter was a late talker, too. We had her evaluated just in case, because the doctor said she didn't see anything really wrong with her but not having something like 30 words by age 2 is a good reason to have her checked out. Her hearing was fine, and the evaluation showed that she understood perfectly well, she just didn't like talking. I would highly recommend an evaluation because at the very least it will put her parents' minds at ease.

Kids do things at different rates, and some kids are more physical than verbal. She finally started talking after she started daycare, and now (at age 5) her vocabulary is surprising - for instance, if you ask her what vampires are, she'll reply "Flammable." She knows what it means, too, because she likes to pretend she's a fire-breathing dog princess with invisible wings.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My health insurance will cover the cost of a manual breast pump. Any recommendations? I'm going to be renting a higher end one as well, this would be more as a backup.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Alterian posted:

My health insurance will cover the cost of a manual breast pump. Any recommendations? I'm going to be renting a higher end one as well, this would be more as a backup.

I liked the avent, but I haven't tried any other manual pumps so there might be a better one out there. It was more than good enough for my needs anyway.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Alterian posted:

I've only used one type, which is the Medela Harmony. It was the one I saw recommended the most, so that's what I went with. It's got this dual-sided handle thing so you can start off with short pumps which supposedly encourage the letdown, then you switch to the longer pumps. Gimmick? I have no idea. But I have no complaints either, and it's the only pump I have. I returned my hospital rental (electric) pump because I hated it and I like this better. But that's a fairly unusual preference.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Young Alexander Gus and I were playing last night.
He says: "I have Raccoon Powers!"
what are raccoon powers?
"They can open ANYTHING!"
that seems useful...
"I can Open Your Skull, and Take Out Your Brains!"

wow.
maybe fewer nature documentaries before bed.

alexandersoccer20121 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Alterian posted:

By manual do you mean ones that you pump by hand? If so, don't even bother unless you are gushing milk. I had a pretty normal flow and I couldn't get crap from a hand pump.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lyz posted:

By manual do you mean ones that you pump by hand? If so, don't even bother unless you are gushing milk. I had a pretty normal flow and I couldn't get crap from a hand pump.

The manual ones worked fine for me. They weren't as comfortable as the electric but since insurance is paying for it, I see no reason not to get it. I don't have a preference to recommend though.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

The manual ones worked fine for me. They weren't as comfortable as the electric but since insurance is paying for it, I see no reason not to get it. I don't have a preference to recommend though.

Yeah, I know a couple of women who found the manual more useful than their electric pumps. I didn't have much success with manual and the one I had is now off the market, so I have no recommendation.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I had a Medela single manual that was so handy! I used it on a couple road trips, a field trip with 90 4th graders to the state Capitol, and when I was weaning. It was nice to not always have to hook up my PISA every time.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Toadpuppy posted:

My daughter was a late talker, too. We had her evaluated just in case, because the doctor said she didn't see anything really wrong with her but not having something like 30 words by age 2 is a good reason to have her checked out. Her hearing was fine, and the evaluation showed that she understood perfectly well, she just didn't like talking. I would highly recommend an evaluation because at the very least it will put her parents' minds at ease.

This I would totally agree with. Thing is, if you go to get them evaluated, you'll either get a green light, or, if there is some sort of developmental disorder or other factor, you can start doing something about it. Usually kids are totally fine, and even if they are, often the people doing the assessment will give you some proactive things to do (maybe some signing or book recs, whatever), which if nothing else, makes you feel more proactive.

My kid might be on the spectrum, and at his age (under two), we do lots of play based therapy, which certainly doesn't hurt.

ETA: Does anyone have any recommendations for children's music that doesn't drive you insane? I like Jack Johnson, and Bobs & Lolo have been pretty popular, but some of it drives me insane.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

ChloroformSeduction posted:

ETA: Does anyone have any recommendations for children's music that doesn't drive you insane? I like Jack Johnson, and Bobs & Lolo have been pretty popular, but some of it drives me insane.

Try some classical music or jazz? Kids don't have to be consigned to a hellish existence of only kid bands until they segue into pop.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Konomex posted:

Try some classical music or jazz? Kids don't have to be consigned to a hellish existence of only kid bands until they segue into pop.

Mozart, Talking Heads, KRS-One.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Barenaked Ladies did a kid's album. Haven't listened to all of them but I love their alphabet song.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Slo-Tek posted:

Mozart, Talking Heads, KRS-One.

This made me laugh for a long time, until I realized our son listens to whatever we listen, including KRS-One.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lyz posted:

I had a cheap Boots (UK chemist chain) own brand hand pump and could pump a fair bit with it. I've never used an electric one though so can't compare.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Actually, They Might be Giants did a good kids album with lots of sciency stuff. Numbers and other things too.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
http://blog.pandora.com/pandora/archives/2010/02/childrens-music.html

We listen to the Kids Folk Station some. It's listenable. We also like the Mumford and Sons pandora station.

Edit: just remembered: a friend's 3 year old really likes Laurie Berkner.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 28, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Ella Jenkins is pretty great, one of the only children's singers that doesn't make me want to chew my arm off. She's got a very relaxed and non-fussy style, not hyperactive, does a lot of participatory songs that my daughter really got into at age two and three.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, I know a couple of women who found the manual more useful than their electric pumps. I didn't have much success with manual and the one I had is now off the market, so I have no recommendation.

Yeah I think the distraction of manually pumping inhibited my letdown, cause I only ever got maybe 1 ml pumping by hand. The electric was much nicer.

Whatever you end up getting Alterian, keep it withing the brand so the parts are interchangeable. I got a Medela hand pump and I could use all the bits except the actual hand pump mechanism for the electric pump.

Edit: I didn't know BNL did a kid's album, I must find this thing!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lyz posted:

Whatever you end up getting Alterian, keep it withing the brand so the parts are interchangeable. I got a Medela hand pump and I could use all the bits except the actual hand pump mechanism for the electric pump.

I didn't even consider that, thank you. That'll probably narrow my decision. I don't anticipate using it all the time, but being stuck somewhere without access to an electric plug might come up at some point between now and the next year when I just have to pump. It'll be free so I might as well have it.

Gilbert
May 4, 2009
I was given this last Christmas and love it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tumble-Bee-Laura-Veirs/dp/B005L3HK3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354113793&sr=8-1

also seconding Barenaked Ladies too :-)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

ChloroformSeduction posted:

This I would totally agree with. Thing is, if you go to get them evaluated, you'll either get a green light, or, if there is some sort of developmental disorder or other factor, you can start doing something about it. Usually kids are totally fine, and even if they are, often the people doing the assessment will give you some proactive things to do (maybe some signing or book recs, whatever), which if nothing else, makes you feel more proactive.

My kid might be on the spectrum, and at his age (under two), we do lots of play based therapy, which certainly doesn't hurt.

I'll second TMBG. If you look on Youtube, they have all their songs up from Here Come the ABCs, Here Come the 123s, No! and whatever other kids' albums they have. They are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijQbZeTGNc

edit: I'm just going to admit that I love Raffi too.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 28, 2012

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Pretty sure no one mentioned this but if you want some "modern" lullaby stuff there's over 20 Rock A Bye Baby albums that are stuff like Radiohead and Metallica played with baby sounding instruments. Some of them are really good.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

car dance posted:

Pretty sure no one mentioned this but if you want some "modern" lullaby stuff there's over 20 Rock A Bye Baby albums that are stuff like Radiohead and Metallica played with baby sounding instruments. Some of them are really good.

We own the Aerosmith one and E loves it. The heavy use of the glockenspiel is pretty awesome.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I don't think I ever bought any kids albums outside of the TMBG ones (and that I bought for me, not the kids). I always just let my kids listen to kid-appropriate "adult" music. It saves me so much sanity in the end, plus it's hilarious to hear a three year old sing CAKE's "Sheep Go To Heaven". Now that they're older the kids love Vampire Weekend and Muse. I've occasionally caught them singing songs from Bad Religion when they think I'm not listening too. :3:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My kid mostly prefers classic rock. He went through a big Lynyrd Skynyrd phase for a while, then it was all Aerosmith all the time: "MORE SWEE EMO-SHUN?" His current favorite song is House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. We didn't listen to a lot of "baby" music when he was tiny - the oversimplified baby versions of orchestral music always resulted in tears, so we stuck with grown up music. We do own and listen to most of the TMBG kids' albums, because I like them.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

We do mostly grown-up music at my house, too. The Beatles, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Frank Sinatra, and soundtracks from various musicals. Part of my reasoning is that I want my kid to know what "real" music sounds like, and to encourage musicality. I read an interesting book awhile back about developing musicianship in your kids, and one of the best things you can do is talk about the music you're listening to and why you like it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
The kids listen to whatever we listen to. One day, lyrically, this will bite us in the rear end, but for now, it's fine. Liam is taking a shine to musicals (Wicked in particular right now) and Tim likes all sorts of mostly harder fare; NIN, TOOL, APC. Nothing beats hearing a 4 year old mangle lyrics to old Korn songs. ;) As for actual kid's stuff, The Fresh Beat band will get Liam dancing, and is mostly ignorable pop pablum. During quiet times, they will both settle down to Jethro Tull (think Songs From the Wood, not Aqualung or Stormwatch.)

Also, Slo-Tek, that is the cutest, smirkiest, picture of Gus. That raccoon bit sounds like the kind of crap Tim lays on me after watching too much Nigel Marvin. (Nigel Marvin, we love you. I should write that man a letter. Tim literally wants to be Nigel when he grows up.)

Short story: So, to get to Tim's school, we drive past a local animal park. We always look to see what animals are by the fence; could be lots of things (longhorns, bison, goats, deer, etc...) Driving past with Liam, to pick Tim up, we saw a bunch of turkeys. I said "Look at the turkeys Liam! Gobble, gobble!" I poo poo you not thread, the 20 month old said "MEAT!! YUM!! EAT!! Num-num!" I laughed so hard, I couldn't breathe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, speaking of son little. While his concepts and vocabulary are consistently excellent, at age 5, he cannot distinguish between Wizard and Lizard, and a lot of his vocabulary is as a result of having to find words that people can distinguish when common ones aren't getting across. We got the "You really really want to spend 100$ for an evaluation of your weird-talking kid" letter from school.

Anybody got themselves speech-pathologized either as a parent or as a kid who can speak on the subject? I keep meeting kids who have been in therapy for their speech defects for years without much improvement. My suspicion is that it will get better with or without another appointment to keep and bill to pay. And if the results I've seen are any indication, the professionals don't help much.

But that may be poorly founded, or misunderstood.

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?