Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

The new text at thread end is a little wordy but I don't have any good suggestions to fix it.
"EOL. Tap to Refresh." :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While I agree and was thinking of moving to adding an icon to shorten some stuff, pull to refresh is in the next version so it makes it a moot point.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe put "tap to refresh" in smaller type underneath?

... Or never mind.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Bug report...if I follow a thread link from inside the app, then try to bookmark the new thread, I get a repeatable crash. 1.8.1 on IOS 6.0.1.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ulmont posted:

Bug report...if I follow a thread link from inside the app, then try to bookmark the new thread, I get a repeatable crash. 1.8.1 on IOS 6.0.1.

Getting this same bug, same specs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

dantheman650 posted:

Getting this same bug, same specs.

Same bug, same specs. (iPhone 4S GSM Black)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

^^Literally just came here to post that bug. ^^

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

smackfu posted:

The new text at thread end is a little wordy but I don't have any good suggestions to fix it.
While I have no ideas for the end of thread text, I do have a related request: would it be possible to add a post-tap visual cue to the bottom text to show that the next page is being loaded? Right now there's only the little indicator in the top bar next to the connection symbols. It'd add to the feeling of responsiveness, I think.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'd also like the end / next page strip to be taller. I keep nearly hitting the advert. Or maybe the advert could at least be further away.

As we have the swipe right to open bookmarks, maybe we could have swipe left to go to the next page or refresh? I think it's not so common that you go back, so maybe we can get away with a gesture just for the next page.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

goethe gear xx posted:

While I have no ideas for the end of thread text, I do have a related request: would it be possible to add a post-tap visual cue to the bottom text to show that the next page is being loaded? Right now there's only the little indicator in the top bar next to the connection symbols. It'd add to the feeling of responsiveness, I think.

Pull up to refresh is going to be the future implementation so you won't have to worry about a hitbox for tapping to the next page. Alternatively, for now, you can always use the next page button in the thread nav bar at the bottom.

A loading page feedback is also happening, we're going over the best approach for that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ulmont posted:

Fixed in 1.9, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A bug I just experienced in the latest build. iPad 2, not jail broken, latest iOS 6.

When you click a link to another SA forum thread it goes to that first page fine, but trying to get to the next page only results in a gray screen. Same thing with clicking the back and forward button. In fact I got a "page 2 of 1" button at the bottom.

Fixed in 1.9. We were doing some really weird poo poo when opening links in-app.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I just loaded up the testing version of 1.9 and this poo poo is slick. Pokeyman, let me know what all you'd like me to test for besides my regular bookmark reading!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Just try to wreck poo poo :) does the thread title disappear?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Just try to wreck poo poo :) does the thread title disappear?

Thread titles appear in portrait and landscape mode! :dance:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Would it be possible to implement a swipe motion on the iPhone version of the app? It could work like the Facebook app.

Also would it be possible to add SAClopedia in the forums list or some such? I don't use it often but it comes in handy when I need it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'll add them to the list!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Are there any plans to link people's screen names with their profile pages? Same goes for probation texts and rap sheets.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know it's something I'd like to see. That's just so low priority wise however.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
First post fellation: I love this app like a fat kid loves cake. Thank you. <3

The reason I jumped in: How hard would it be to put in a "jump to bottom of page" button? I know that it's probably an OS-level problem, but the page jumping to the top every time another element finishes loading is starting to get on my tits. A scroll to bottom button would be super fly.

Second, less important but would still be super nice: Would it be possible to save the reply buffer when you hit cancel, and append to it when you quote someone? I'm doing this at the moment with select-all cut cancel combos, but it would be a nice minor UX thing.

:v:

Edit: and the app crashed while posting this. Whoops. I have console output if there's anything worthwhile to be gleaned from it, if you want it.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 1, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Scroll to bottom is definitely 100% already in, although I'm not sure if it's live now or if it will be when 1.9 hits.

E:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I'm on an ipad mini with 6.0.1, and this is what I'm seeing scrolled to the top:

e: I'm not seeing it on an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 either. I'm supposed to be using the 1.8.1 Awful app, right? :ohdear:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 1, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That's (1.8.1) the version in the App Store, yeah. I don't know when 1.9 goes live, which apparently has the scroll to bottom thing in it. Sorry :(

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Aha. That's fine, you just had me worried there for a minute.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I didn't think that sub menu was in an of the released yet, I don't have an iPad (yet, suppposed to be getting the mini as a gift), so I can't comment on that.

I don't think it shows up on 1.8.1 on the phone at all, but when it does, it will function exactly like facebook's sub menu where it sticks to the top but you can scroll past it. Makes jumping to the bottom nice and easy and provides a link to the thread's parent forum which in previous versions of the app was never directly accessible from the thread.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm having trouble posting with an image from my library. Keeps saying unknown error occurred (-1).

(v 1.9)

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Earlier in the thread I thought I read that you were putting back the ability to "pinch" to full-screen the text of posts and remove the top and bottom bars. Is that so? Do you know what version that might be coming back in?

Thanks for keeping the app updated. The changes look good; looking forward to trying out the new one more thoroughly.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
App issue: when I try to bookmark a thread after opening it from another thread (by following a link), the app immediately crashes; I don't think this happens if I just open a thread normally and try.

e: confirming that this does not happen without a link first being followed. If it's relevant, it was following a D&D link into another D&D topic (monthly megathreads).

Newest version of the app as in the App Store as of 02/12/12.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Allan Assiduity posted:

App issue: when I try to bookmark a thread after opening it from another thread (by following a link), the app immediately crashes; I don't think this happens if I just open a thread normally and try.

e: confirming that this does not happen without a link first being followed. If it's relevant, it was following a D&D link into another D&D topic (monthly megathreads).

Newest version of the app as in the App Store as of 02/12/12.

Just had exactly the same thing happen.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just had exactly the same thing happen.
Pokeyman said it's fixed in the next version earlier on this page.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Mr. Fix It posted:

Pokeyman said it's fixed in the next version earlier on this page.
Don't know how I missed that, thanks for the speedy fix!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Quick bug: On a 6.0.1 iPad Mini with Awful 1.8.1, the reply text area can't scroll

Disregard this I suck cocks. iPad mini comes with the undocked split keyboard as default, and I merged it and dragged it to the bottom but never explicitly docked it, so it was still registering as floating. :downs:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 3, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I remember an earlier version of the app having a little toolbar of buttons for common forum code characters, stuff like [ ] / : etc. I liked that a lot, is there a chance of bringing that back, perhaps as an optional setting?

Fake edit- this post was made from the Awful app. :haw:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
A lot of things that people seem to disagree on would be great to have back as toggles. : [ ] / toolbar, killed by/original poster, etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bummey posted:

A lot of things that people seem to disagree on would be great to have back as toggles. : [ ] / toolbar, killed by/original poster, etc.
I'll second that. Just put the stuff in, but make it optional. I'd love to have the option to enable the forum code toolbar, and I liked knowing who the last person to post in the thread was.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Killed by is in for 1.9. It shows killed by if you've read it, posted by if you haven't. No need for an option I don't think.

If you tap (like you're going to highlight for cut/paste or re-position the cursor), the context menu (I don't know what it's called in iOS) the comes up has shortcuts for inserting the tags (in 1.9 for sure, maybe in the one that's live I can't remember). I don't know if it's a great solution, but only because I don't use it much. Mostly I forget about it. Although I didn't use the other way much either. That was more because I was afraid of hitting the action buttons up there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think the formatting menu is a failed experiment in isolation, but useful nonetheless.

It has value for selecting some text and applying formatting to the selection. You select an entire sentence and make it bold. Especially useful if you write posts out first, then go back and format them. So (at least some of) the menu items have value.

But if you apply formatting as you go, it's annoying to have to stop and tap around and wait for long-tap and animation delays. And there's no help whatsoever for emoticons. So there's value in the [ ] = / : buttons near the keyboard too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Would it be possible to have the most commonly used tags (bold, spoiler, etc.) available as complete buttons of their own? Maybe swipe-able, as in you swipe up (or left) on the button to create an opening tag and swipe down (or right) to close it?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Another option, although probably further in the future than 1.9, would be something like prompt:

Attach the modifiers as part of the onscreen keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What do you think about a single button up top middle (talking phone mostly, iPad can fit this stuff anywhere), that you tapped and held and then hovered over to select the code? Think of it as the foreign characters on the keyboard when you tap and hold 'a' for example.

• Locked thread