Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm not sure whether to post this in here or the iPhone thread but I'll try here.

Every time I connect my iPhone to iTunes I always have this podcast show up in the Podcast tab thing under my Device. I delete it and iTunes is telling me that it's been deleted. But the next time I plug in my iPhone, that same podcast shows up again as if it were never deleted. The weird thing is that I don't use the Apple podcast app (I use Downcast, but according to that app the specific podcast isn't there) so I don't know why or how this keeps appearing. How do I make it so this podcast is actually deleted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Hiyoshi posted:

My friend is having the same problem with iTunes for Windows and an iPhone 4. I've got my iPhone 5 set up to automatically sync with my Mac over Wi-Fi every morning at 8 a.m. and I've noticed about a 50% success rate. My guess is that Wi-Fi sync is still buggy.

I can't get it to work at all with my new iPhone 5 and Windows 7 iTunes. It worked much better with my iPhone 4. Pretty strange. Not sure what else to try other than ticking the setting on/off. It hasn't even popped up once.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

dox posted:

I can't get it to work at all with my new iPhone 5 and Windows 7 iTunes. It worked much better with my iPhone 4. Pretty strange. Not sure what else to try other than ticking the setting on/off. It hasn't even popped up once.

Try this:

Close iTunes
Turn off WiFi on your iPhone 5
Run Task Manager
Go to the services tab
Click Apple Mobile Device service and stop it
Now restart it
Open iTunes
Connect your iPhone 5 to Wifi

I've found that since the iTunes update that coincided with the iPhone5 release, my Wifi synching simply stopped working. Doing the above steps gets it working one off, but I have to go through the steps every time I want to Wifi sync.

Frustrating, but I think there's something buggy with Windows 7 and the current version of iTunes that's making Wifi sync not work right.

I really really hope the next version of iTunes fixes it...if they ever release it. I'm sure its going to be pushed back to December any day now.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

We are never going to get iTunes 11, are we?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm sure it'll come out this week. They don't tend to announce the date ahead of time for this kind of thing, and when they give a month you can usually bet it'll be one of the last days of the month.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm sure it'll come out this week. They don't tend to announce the date ahead of time for this kind of thing, and when they give a month you can usually bet it'll be one of the last days of the month.

Except when they say October and silently change it to November.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
It's never coming out.

It's Apple's Half-Life 3.

RIP iTunes.

(I really want it to come out right now hurry up.)

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
It always amazes me that in this day and age, we can't add music to the library AND change the track we're currently listening to. Why can't we add to the library in the background? Say you lost your library for whatever reason and you're now putting everything back in like i am.

(This is on a mac, not sure if this has changed on pc. I doubt it)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

the_lion posted:

It always amazes me that in this day and age, we can't add music to the library AND change the track we're currently listening to. Why can't we add to the library in the background? Say you lost your library for whatever reason and you're now putting everything back in like i am.

(This is on a mac, not sure if this has changed on pc. I doubt it)

Also if I'm not looking at the currently playing playlist in itunes and I hit pause, it stops the playlist. If I then hit play, it starts playing whatever is on the itunes screen. Real intuitive, was it really that difficult to have pause and stop work off separate buttons?

(This happens to me a lot if I drag some music into iTunes library because I can't do that if iTunes DJ is the active screen, then forget about it and half an hour later when the phone rings I click pause on the keyboard, then when I click unpause I get Hells Bells by AC/DC).

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Kabz posted:

iTunes is deleting all my podcasts after I download them.

Whenever I sync my phone (5.1.1) all the podcasts I just downloaded get deleted.
They get stored on my machine and then I have to go back into iTunes and click for it to be put back on my phone.

This started happening all of a sudden a few months ago, not sure if it was a software update, or what.
But how can I just have my podcasts stay on my phone and not even have it backup on my computer?
If I uncheck syncing podcast in iTunes, it says it will delete all my existing podcasts.

Also all my podcasts that I deleted in the past still show up, and old podcasts I don't even listen to still have their category show up empty in iTunes -- how can I get rid of this too?

Thanks for listening to my two-part question- I hope someone can relate to these frustrations.

Anyone able to help with this?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I've recently reinstalled Windows and since this has happened iTunes has been formatting every page in the store completely wrong, as if there's some style sheet that's not loading. It makes it bloody hard to navigate things, so does anyone know how to make it work properly?

Please find attached a screenshot (imgur doesn't work at this house for some reason).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Excavation posted:

I've recently reinstalled Windows and since this has happened iTunes has been formatting every page in the store completely wrong, as if there's some style sheet that's not loading. It makes it bloody hard to navigate things, so does anyone know how to make it work properly?

Reset the store cache in Preferences -> Advanced, maybe?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I have just purchased 5 Ipads for my School - how do I even get started with volume purchasing? I'm trying my darndest to keep app costs down :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Manwithastick posted:

I have just purchased 5 Ipads for my School - how do I even get started with volume purchasing? I'm trying my darndest to keep app costs down :(

https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/volume-purchase-program.html

This really, really isn't a thing you want to jump into without a lot of research and knowing what you're doing. 5 iPads isn't many at all, and you could handle everything by hand if you want, but if you expect that number to grow you're going to want to learn how to use the enterprise management tools and all that stuff.

I know very little about it personally, but a friend of mine manages ~100 iPads at his K-8 school. It is his full-time job to do the iPad-related maintenance, IT work, app research and purchasing, and teacher and student training. Full time. Too many schools spend a ton of money on fancy gadgets and then just throw them at teachers who have no idea what the gently caress to do with them. Teacher training is hugely important. Researching what apps are useful is hugely important. Also important is figuring out how to integrate them into the classroom and the lessons, along with teaching students how to use them, but this can be handled to some degree by properly trained teachers. If you intend to do this, do it right and make sure you have the time and ability.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

withak posted:

Reset the store cache in Preferences -> Advanced, maybe?

Just tried it now, no change in layout.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
I don't understand the word "managing" as used in the OP. What does iTunes manage? Does this thing seriously still lack a "clean up dead files" command?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was put in there because people wanted to take care of the mp3 files themselves, and the folder structure, rather than rely on iTunes to do that all automatically. Why they do this, I don't know. Mostly because with it on I don't look at the files themselves unless I want to replace the mp3 file with another mp3 file, rather than re-ripping the CD through iTunes (like a scratchy disk that will just rip the skips back into the song).

If you delete a file from iTunes it asks if you want to move the files to the trash. It will also delete the directories in case you delete the whole album/artist. If you kept stuff in there that you didn't want, you can always pick a new folder location in the preferences, and have it consolidate the files there. What's not in your library gets ignored. Then you delete your old library location once you're sure that you copied over everything you wanted.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand the word "managing" as used in the OP. What does iTunes manage? Does this thing seriously still lack a "clean up dead files" command?

Do you mean as in "Just let iTunes manage your music"?

I'm surprised to see how little info there is on this in the OP. Letting iTunes manage your music basically means that you add tracks to iTunes and then let iTunes worry about the behind the scenes file/folder structure instead of doing it yourself. iTunes will arrange it like "Artist/Album/track number - track name.mp3". You'll have a lot less headaches with losing files and stuff if you do it this way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

IUG posted:

It was put in there because people wanted to take care of the mp3 files themselves, and the folder structure, rather than rely on iTunes to do that all automatically. Why they do this, I don't know. Mostly because with it on I don't look at the files themselves unless I want to replace the mp3 file with another mp3 file, rather than re-ripping the CD through iTunes (like a scratchy disk that will just rip the skips back into the song).
On my PC, my method when I got new albums (either in MP3 or CD) was to listen to them in Winamp, delete what I didn't want, use id3TagIt to put info on the tags and set the filenames the way I wanted them, and then move them to my manually organized folder before re-adding that folder to the iTunes library. I did this because "previewing" stuff in iTunes left a horde of dead entries in my library I had to clean up later.

I'd like to say goodbye forever to a Windows machine being involved in the process without shoveling tons of bullshit.

Diabolik900 posted:

add tracks to iTunes
I don't even understand what this means. Pretend that I'm your grandma.

I was thinking that on a Mac, using the music software Apple designed, I could put all my music in the "Music" folder and iTunes would organize all the files by genre, artist, and album. It apparently wants to do this by copying my entire library and leaving the current one sitting where I put it. I have no idea what will happen once I'm ready to start moving new files into an already existing library and have iTunes organize the new files according to its rubric.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 28, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I did this because "previewing" stuff in iTunes left a horde of dead entries in my library I had to clean up later.

But the point is that if you delete them in iTunes rather than through Explorer/Finder you won't get these dead entries.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

On my PC, my method when I got new albums (either in MP3 or CD) was to listen to them in Winamp, delete what I didn't want, use id3TagIt to put info on the tags and set the filenames the way I wanted them, and then move them to my manually organized folder before re-adding that folder to the iTunes library. I did this because "previewing" stuff in iTunes left a horde of dead entries in my library I had to clean up later.

I'd like to say goodbye forever to a Windows machine being involved in the process without shoveling tons of bullshit.
I don't even understand what this means. Pretend that I'm your grandma.

I was thinking that on a Mac, using the music software Apple designed, I could put all my music in the "Music" folder and iTunes would organize all the files by genre, artist, and album. It apparently wants to do this by copying my entire library and leaving the current one sitting where I put it. I have no idea what will happen once I'm ready to start moving new files into an already existing library and have iTunes organize the new files according to its rubric.

When you edit the media information (Track title, name, album name, artist, year, etc) that all gets added to the ID3 anyways. The only thing that does not is if you tell iTunes to search for album artwork. It stores the album art in another (cryptic) directory (that I hate searching for). If you want the album art to copy to the ID3 tags you have to paste the image into it's info manually, and it applies that one image to each track. So if it's a 13 album track, that whole album just inflated 13 times in size because it's writing that album artwork 13 times instead of once somewhere else.

On Mac or PC you can just add them to your library by drag-and-dropping them over the "Library" section on the left sidebar, you could go to File menu and add them, or you can place the files in the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder. Once in your library iTunes copies over the files into it's file structure. Which is the folder you specify in the preferences, or in your user's "Music" folder. It's structure is something like "/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/ARTIST/ALBUM/## SONGTITLE.EXT". Then you delete the original files from wherever. This is good if you're torrenting something and still seeding it, since it won't make your program bug out when you copy it over to iTunes, and is why it's better than it just moving them.

If you want to move from Winamp to iTunes, yes, it would copy over that whole directory to it's iTunes directory. That way the worse case scenario is if you don't like iTunes, you just fire up Winamp again and nothing's changed. If it moved the files over and you hated iTunes, then you would be SOL because Winamp probably wouldn't know where those files went.

Diabolik900 posted:

But the point is that if you delete them in iTunes rather than through Explorer/Finder you won't get these dead entries.
If you delete a song from iTunes it specifically asks if you want to keep the files where they are, of to move it to the Trash/Recycling Bin. So if you wanted it out of iTunes but for some reason wanted to keep the mp3s, they won't get touched. I think you can disable this warning message, but I keep it on because it's another chance to cancel out of deleting the wrong file, just in case.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Tomorrow..

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/28/apples-new-itunes-11-expected-tomorrow-following-delay-due-to-engineering-issues/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That's some really lovely reporting from 9to5. The article they're basing it on says it's expected "as soon as" tomorrow (which is now today). "Tomorrow" and "as soon as tomorrow" are not the same thing.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Diabolik900 posted:

That's some really lovely reporting from 9to5. The article they're basing it on says it's expected "as soon as" tomorrow (which is now today). "Tomorrow" and "as soon as tomorrow" are not the same thing.

Every article I've seen purporting to predict the release date has been meaningless bullshit. No poo poo it could be released "as soon as tomorrow." There are only two days left in the announced release month. They might as well say "iTunes 11 will DEFINITELY be released for personal computers" because that's about as insightful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

Every article I've seen purporting to predict the release date has been meaningless bullshit. No poo poo it could be released "as soon as tomorrow." There are only two days left in the announced release month. They might as well say "iTunes 11 will DEFINITELY be released for personal computers" because that's about as insightful.

Sites have also been running with the assertion in that Wall Street Journal article that it was delayed last month because of "engineering issues" as if that's news. No poo poo it was because of engineering issues. That's so vague, what the gently caress else could it be?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
WHERE IS IT?????????????????

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Wario In Real Life posted:

WHERE IS IT?????????????????

Don't despair! It could be released as soon as today!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

:siren: APPLECARE PEOPLE RECEIVING ITUNES 11 BUILDS NOW :siren:

RELEASE IT UNTO ME TIM

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

It's out!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

tonic posted:

It's out!

I'm dead.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Someone tell me it still has applescript support :ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

will this be a metro app y/n?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Someone post the link. I need it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Run Apple Software Update (on Windows)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

xarph posted:

Someone tell me it still has applescript support :ohdear:

I just used an old rear end Doug's Script with no problems.

But I can't figure out how to display albums alphabetically by year, starting from the newest.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Why do they keep trying to force some form of cover flow on me? WHY?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's still saying 10.7 is up to date. :ohdear:

EDIT: Nevermind if you use the app store it shows the update.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I was hoping for some goon consensus on the new version of itunes but just realised they only released the update just now. I grabbed it but I don't really know whats changed since I haven't put much music on my mac. It looks better at a glance

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait it's really out woah. Why do I still need to reboot my PC, iTunes? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

imnotinsane posted:

I was hoping for some goon consensus on the new version of itunes but just realised they only released the update just now. I grabbed it but I don't really know whats changed since I haven't put much music on my mac. It looks better at a glance

That's my first 120-seconds of looking at it