Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SamDabbers posted:

Apparently the Nexus 4 is also capable of CDMA/LTE,
LTE: Not on any US carrier.
CDMA: No, not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

As with many other people, this issue really started with the most recent updates (ICS, etc.)
The original ICS update (FF18?) has a known issue where the blinking notification LED rapes the battery. I think there was a subsequent update to address that somewhat, but it's an inherent problem that a blinking LED crushes the battery, worse the faster it blinks.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

thenakedflip posted:

Here is a link from XDA forums, someone posted it a few days ago. I've done it and it works well. There are limited apps that are available for it unless you are rooted, then there is a mod you can flash that makes all apps available.

Dropbox link

I had to download to an sd card, and then load it using stock recovery, since I'm not rooted.

If you pm me your number I can check to see if there is already an offer on your account when I'm in on Wednesday. It's probably only 50 bucks at this point to buy up your upgrade.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Did most of the blackfriday telesale gs3 order ship and I was just unlucky to get backordered?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Getimmaaw posted:

Did most of the blackfriday telesale gs3 order ship and I was just unlucky to get backordered?

They were telling me it might take 2-3 weeks, but I got a tracking number yesterday (ordered Friday around 9 AM PST over the phone). I called in to return my iPhone and exchange for the S3, so I dunno if that pushed it up or something.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Getimmaaw posted:

quote:

Status: Thank you for your order. Our warehouse is experiencing a temporary outage for the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Additional product is due to arrive soon and orders will be filled. We will do our best to meet delivery of 2 to 5 business days from date of order. You may continue to check status of your order at https://www.sprint.com/myorder.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006

Same thing I got, hope I get it before the end of the week .

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Just received my S3 in the mail today. I'm on the $30 SERO basic plan right now, and I assume I'll have to upgrade to the $50 SERO Premium before calling about activation. The only number I should trust to do that correctly is the SERO number in the OP correct?

Then, after my plan is switched, which number should I call for activation with the highest chance of getting fees waived? I missed out on getting them to price match Sam's Club for 99 cents, but I'd at least like to avoid additional fees.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Got my SIII in the mail today, called SERO support, and it took less than 10 minutes to activate the new phone. I was already on SERO Premium with my OG Evo4G, but it was easier than I expected. They never charged me an activation fee. Total price, shipped, was around $56

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Xenin posted:

Just received my S3 in the mail today. I'm on the $30 SERO basic plan right now, and I assume I'll have to upgrade to the $50 SERO Premium before calling about activation. The only number I should trust to do that correctly is the SERO number in the OP correct?

Then, after my plan is switched, which number should I call for activation with the highest chance of getting fees waived? I missed out on getting them to price match Sam's Club for 99 cents, but I'd at least like to avoid additional fees.

You switch your plan at the time of activation. The people that are activating it would be the same ones to talk about fees but being on sero already I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Is there a reason to call the SERO number instead of activating online?
I'm already on SERO Premium with a 3G android phone, activating a GS3 like everyone else.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Aphal posted:

Is there a reason to call the SERO number instead of activating online?
I'm already on SERO Premium with a 3G android phone, activating a GS3 like everyone else.

You need to have a code applied to your account that allows 4G LTE, I'm not sure if online activation is capable of that with SERO plans.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

You need to have a code applied to your account that allows 4G LTE, I'm not sure if online activation is capable of that with SERO plans.

I called the SERO number and they said they couldn't even activate it over the phone because I'm calling from the phone that would be deactivated by them activating the new phone. So I can't activate my phone at all.

Edit: going to attempt online activation and see what happens

Edit2: The online activation link on the website times out every time I try to go there. Welp

Edit3: I attempted to call with Skype and apparently they closed 8 minutes ago. Sprint owns

Aphal fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 27, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My contract expires Thursday. Between the cheaper rates offered by T-Mobile's prepaid 4G, and Sprint's lackluster LTE coverage and speeds, I'm ready to say good riddance. Also, the Nexus 4 :swoon:

T-Mobile's customer service is absolutely horrible though. :ohdear:

Any chances of getting on SERO when my contract is out? I've been on the Everything Data 450 plan since it was introduced, and I've been with Sprint for 11 years. I'm most likely going to make the jump to T-Mo when Google gets the N4 back in stock, but I figured I'd try asking here first.

DanAdamKOF posted:

Pleasantly surprised with how much LTE coverage there is in Houston, I had coverage basically from Sugar Land to Webster. Maybe while I was away from Dallas during the break they improved the coverage over there to be as good as Houston's, haha yeah right.

LTE started popping up on my phone yesterday (in Plano). Held a LTE signal for most of today, including when I was in far North Dallas and Addison. As per the usual with Sprint, I had to stay near a window if I went indoors. It absolutely raped my battery though.

To get it to hold LTE I had to force LTE only though, apparently the Galaxy Nexus radios are programmed to jump back to 3G if the LTE signal is remotely weak. :argh:

Speed was fair, but nothing compared to what a family member living in the same house gets with T-Mobile's HSPA+:

I never saw more than 2 bars on 4G, and the phone would immediately hop back onto the stronger 3G signal if I set it to LTE/CDMA (auto).

blargle posted:

Is Sprint phasing out wimax already? I'm one of the few people living in a really strong coverage zone outside NYC, but the area seems to be shrinking.

From what I understand, Wimax will still be around for another 1-2 years for their prepaid stuff (and MVNOs).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

How can I possibly use Wi-Fi to pick up a cell signal?

The non-data signal is generally a much less energy-demanding one than a data signal, or something along those lines. Basically your phone will stop trying to pick up data from the cell tower if it's getting wifi. You can even set the phone to airplane mode and then enable wifi. You'll have data, but you won't get calls or SMS - though I think GV integration will allow you to receive texts and VM, and of course you can make/receive VOIP calls.

That being said, there are apps that will examine detailed battery usage and phone status info for you, often battery drain is caused by an app or service keeping the phone awake with constant activity. If it isn't a signal issue, the next place to look is apps/services. Sprint and Samsung test these special snowflake updates for months before rolling out, and if people were getting hammered with that kind of battery drain on a broad scale, the update would be stopped and a patch issued with all due haste. Not ruling it out completely, but I would put it after signal and apps.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Medullah posted:

Did you call 888-882-4030? They were super helpful for me, but a bit of a hold...

This worked. Just got off the phone, they quoted a price of 199 originally, I mentioned what I had been through and got it back down to 49.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

some texas redneck posted:

Any chances of getting on SERO when my contract is out? I've been on the Everything Data 450 plan since it was introduced, and I've been with Sprint for 11 years. I'm most likely going to make the jump to T-Mo when Google gets the N4 back in stock, but I figured I'd try asking here first.

The only people getting SERO any more are people who have it (or EPRP) and are adding a line, which can be SERO. So if you can find someone who has it, and then buy/win a SERO plan off eBay, you can become that person's 2nd line and transfer that SERO plan to your line.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I just realized I never received a confirmation email after ordering it on Thursday from the website. But the $53.24 was taken out of my account and the upgrade I had available on the phone that I upgraded to the S3 is gone on the date I bought the S3 online... Is there a number I can call to figure out what is going on?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 27, 2012

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

fyallm posted:

So I just realized I never received a confirmation email...

Did you check your spam folder? Gmail sent my confirmation email to spam for some reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SamDabbers posted:

Did you check your spam folder? Gmail sent my confirmation email to spam for some reason.

Yep, same here. Pulled mine out of spam.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I ordered mine via telesales and my email went into Spam. It was from telesaleshelpdesk.

mtr
May 15, 2008

My contract expires Thursday. Between the cheaper rates offered by T-Mobile's prepaid 4G, and Sprint's lackluster LTE coverage and speeds, I'm ready to say good riddance. Also, the Nexus 4 :swoon:

I'm right there with you. Nexus 4s are supposed to be back in stock today at 3pm EST. I have seen zero mention of cincinnati (and most of Ohio) for network vision upgrades, so it's time for me to switch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Which is the best number to call to get my Galaxy S3 activated on my SERO plan? The SERO number in the OP? Or the Employee Care line?

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Which is the best number to call to get my Galaxy S3 activated on my SERO plan? The SERO number in the OP? Or the Employee Care line?

SERO number in the OP works. I just got it done, took 5 minutes now that the office is open again.
Edit: just make sure you're calling from a different line than the one you're swapping devices on.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Aphal posted:

Edit: just make sure you're calling from a different line than the one you're swapping devices on.
The last time I activated a phone I tried to do it from my old phone; the rep gave it a shot, but sure enough, it hosed up and neither phone worked until I got to a third line.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

It didn't even come to me to check my spam folder since I get all the other sprint messages. But there it was! I did call retentions and they said it didn't email me because they didn't have an email address in the order. So I guess that was a lie, but he said it didn't have a tracking number. And if it doesn't by tomorrow morning to call in and they will cancel then overnight one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

All activated and good to go.

Does anyone use Google Voice with the Galaxy S3? I use my Google Voice number as my work number only, everyone else uses my standard cell number. I installed Google Voice on the S3, and now the number is fully integrated, which I don't want. I want to text with my regular cell#, and use the Google Voice app to text work people if needed. I also liked the ability on the Evo to select whether I wanted to dial out using the GV number or Sprint number every time. But I can't seem to find an option to turn it off. I uninstalled GV and re-installed it, and went with the option for "standard setup" instead of "sprint integration", but it does the same thing.

Any ideas?

*edit* Figured it out, removed the phone from Google Voice then reinstalled.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2012

InterruptHandler
Mar 28, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I would go with the "battery is the culprit" argument, but, again, all three phones went to poo poo after the ICS update. I don't imagine that all three batteries decided to poo poo the bed at the same time (and one phone was purchased 4 months after the others.)

Some folks claim their post-upgrade battery lives improved drastically after either running a factory reset or wiping the data partition. May want to give that a shot if you don't mind reinstalling all your apps and setting everything up again...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mtr posted:

I'm right there with you. Nexus 4s are supposed to be back in stock today at 3pm EST.

:fap:

Well poo poo, the 8GB model won't ship for 8 weeks.. 16GB ships in 3 though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got my GS3 today, got it activated, Android is a whole new world to me. Here are my speed tests from my apartment in Chicago:

Over WiFi:

Over LTE:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

InterruptHandler posted:

Some folks claim their post-upgrade battery lives improved drastically after either running a factory reset or wiping the data partition. May want to give that a shot if you don't mind reinstalling all your apps and setting everything up again...

Yeah, I've done both and neither made a difference. Honestly, I think a lot of these "solutions" are simply placebos and people only think things have improved. Guess I'll have to deal with it until July.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Palm-Wh...=item25772565eb

I'm guessing this wouldn't work on the Sprint version of galaxy note 2?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

dundun posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Palm-Wh...=item25772565eb

I'm guessing this wouldn't work on the Sprint version of galaxy note 2?

That description is really confusing. If it does work, I'd assume that they modified a Note 2 back cover by taking the inductive charging stuff from the back plate of a Pre's Touchstone-compatible cover and affixed it to the Note 2's cover. This would include the correct magnet placement and the other stuff to make it work. However, the description says that it's the original Palm back cover, so how can it be the original if it's been modified to work for the Note 2?

It seems like a nice wireless charging solution if it actually does work, though. And I can't think of a reason that it wouldn't work on a Sprint Note 2 if it works on other Note 2s.

e: and I just noticed that the main picture for the item says "plam Touchstone"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I would be wary of that, because as was pointed out, that's somebodies homebrew hardware hack. I mean, if it's done well it would be neat, but I'd definitely be cautious of it.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Approximately 205 updated sites today in: Chicago (30), Atlanta/Athens (18), PR/VI (18), DFW (16), Indianapolis (15), Washington DC (12), Boston (10), LA Metro (10), Baltimore (8), Kansas (8), Minnesota (8), Houston (7), SF Bay (7), Austin (6), New York City (6), Riverside/San Bernardino (6), Miami/West Palm (4), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (3), San Diego (3), Orange County (2), Central Jersey (1), Charlotte (1), Jacksonville (1), Nashville (1), Philadelphia Metro (1), Tucson/Yuma (1).

Low update count due to the repair efforts from Sandy and the holiday. As always, s4gru.com has more details and maps in the members section.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Anyone got an Optimus G? Wondering how it compares to GS3. Back when I got mine people were still all "SAMSUNG!!! :argh:" so I am open-minded.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've gone from never seeing 4G to having a pretty consistent LTE signal in the past few days. The speeds have been pretty lovely for LTE (best was 6mbit, seems to be 2-3mbit on average), but anything is better than Sprint's "3G"...

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I know St. Louis is on the back burner because of the heavy WiMax saturation, but when WILL they start to make the changeover?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just noticed something really horrible... for my ISP.

I have 10/1 through Time Warner.

Speedtest.net shows I'm only getting about 2 down/1 up while tethered to my Sprint handset (over LTE). Yet web pages load far faster and I'm not getting any timeouts.

Krime, DFW is saturated with Wimax, yet it was one of Sprint's LTE launch markets (... and still isn't half done even several months after their projected 100% completion date). I just started seeing regular LTE coverage instead of completely random "why am I getting 4G in the ghetto?" sightings - I've had a solid 4G signal most of the day except while I was at school (large community college). Give it about 2-3 years :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

I just noticed something really horrible... for my ISP.

I have 10/1 through Time Warner.

Speedtest.net shows I'm only getting about 2 down/1 up while tethered to my Sprint handset (over LTE). Yet web pages load far faster and I'm not getting any timeouts.

I'm in NYC with Time Warner and I agree, pages load much faster when I'm tethering on Wimax.