Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Baron Bifford posted:

It doesn't matter anyway. Dredd and Anderson wiped out the gang by themselves, and they didn't need to interrogate Kay to do that because Ma-Ma decided to come gunning for him, giving them all the pretext they needed.

Ma-Ma came gunning for Dredd and Anderson because if she killed Dredd and Anderson there wouldn't be anyone to take Kay in and thus her empire wouldn't fall.

It's a long-shot, but the alternative is that she let's them take someone who would roll on her and cause the Judges to come back specifically for her instead of just investigating Dredd and Anderson's deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Baron Bifford posted:

Revenge for the deaths of their friends and loved ones? Wanting to have the crazy rear end bitch out of their lives? How spineless do you think human beings are?

A cursory glance at any portion of human history indicates that a great many people, when their backs are to the wall, are in fact pretty goddamn spineless. Most people in the block who lost loved ones would be cowed easily because they could be next; the few who try to act out get made examples of before they can go to "proper" authorities or try to exact their own vengeance--incredibly foolhardy when facing an organized gang.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
it's pretty simple you guys. Baron Bifford isn't concerned about motivations or circumstances because he Is The Law

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Showing stuff that happens in real life disqualifies Dredd as a satire because

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Meaty Ore posted:

A cursory glance at any portion of human history indicates that a great many people, when their backs are to the wall, are in fact pretty goddamn spineless. Most people in the block who lost loved ones would be cowed easily because they could be next; the few who try to act out get made examples of before they can go to "proper" authorities or try to exact their own vengeance--incredibly foolhardy when facing an organized gang.
Peach Trees is just a tower block that is infested by gangsters. It's not North Korea. There's nothing Ma-Ma can do to prevent its residents from communicating with the outside world. There's nothing she can do to stop information leaking out. There's nothing she can do to resist an army of vengeful Judges.

Dan Didio posted:

Ma-Ma came gunning for Dredd and Anderson because if she killed Dredd and Anderson there wouldn't be anyone to take Kay in and thus her empire wouldn't fall.

It's a long-shot, but the alternative is that she let's them take someone who would roll on her and cause the Judges to come back specifically for her instead of just investigating Dredd and Anderson's deaths.
If Ma-Ma murders two Judges, then Hall of Justice will tear the place apart looking for evidence, and they will find plenty of it. Even if nobody is willing to talk (unlikely, given what Ma-Ma put them through), the truth can be forced.

There's this telling interview where Lena Heady discusses her character:

“I think of her like an old great white shark who is just waiting for someone bigger and stronger to show up and kill her,” Headey said. “She’s ready for it. In fact, she can’t wait for it to happen. And yet no one can get the job done. She’s an addict, so she’s dead in that way, but that last knock just hasn’t come. This big, fat, scarred shark moving through the sea and everyone flees and she’s like, ‘Will someone just have the balls to do it? Please?‘”

Ma-Ma realizes she's finished when the Judges arrest Kay. If Kay rats on her, she's finished. She has no way of discretely silencing Kay and keeping her operation under wraps, so she doesn't bother trying. She decides that rather wait for the Judges to come execute her like a punk or haul her off to the iso-cubes, she's going to go down in glorious battle, making her name legend. I think this is why she seems strangely pleased as she falls down the atrium to her death. It's a good death.

Edit: when Anderson is brought before Ma-Ma, Ma-Ma warns them not to rape or torture Anderson so that they can properly set up their deaths in a way that the Judges won't link to her. It seems like a weak plan but it does suggest she seriously thought she could dodge this.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 28, 2012

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really want this movie to be out on Blu-Ray already.

And I don't even own a blu-ray player.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

If Ma-Ma murders two Judges, then Hall of Justice will tear the place apart looking for evidence, and they will find plenty of it. Even if nobody is willing to talk (unlikely, given what Ma-Ma put them through), the truth can be forced.
It's a good death.

What exactly are you basing this on? The very existence of Judges (plus Dredds line about only adressing 6% of all crimes) shows that the Hall of Justice isn't exactly doing close investigations on anything when there's an easy explanation. Ma-Ma could just throw their corpses out the front door together with a few dead gangers and pass it off as a shootout with some small-timers. But she wouldn't even need to do that, because she has the corrupt Judges to concoct an 'official' story that won't be questioned.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Perestroika posted:

What exactly are you basing this on? The very existence of Judges (plus Dredds line about only adressing 6% of all crimes) shows that the Hall of Justice isn't exactly doing close investigations on anything when there's an easy explanation. Ma-Ma could just throw their corpses out the front door together with a few dead gangers and pass it off as a shootout with some small-timers. But she wouldn't even need to do that, because she has the corrupt Judges to concoct an 'official' story that won't be questioned.

Yeah. Sure Ma-Ma's plan to take out the Judges was risky, but it was either that or wait for them to return in force and execute her. She was backed into a corner. Kill or be killed.

ruddiger posted:

I really want this movie to be out on Blu-Ray already.

And I don't even own a blu-ray player.

Yes, I need to watch this again. Why isn't it out for Christmas? Fucksake.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Perestroika posted:

When it comes to dead Judges, the 6% statistic doesn't matter. All police departments in the world will rescind other priorities to investigate and avenge the deaths of their own. They will investigate the matter thoroughly and not accept things at face value. They won't dismiss it lazily like they would, say, a dead hooker in an alley.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 28, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

When it comes to dead Judges, the 6% statistic doesn't matter. All police departments in the world will rescind other priorities to investigate and avenge the deaths of their own. They will investigate the matter thoroughly and not accept things at face value. They won't dismiss it lazily like they would, say, a dead hooker in an alley.

I don't know where you're getting this, because the entire movie seems to suggest that yeah, they completely would. Ma Ma has judges on her payroll. Is it a big leap from "she can literally pay three judges to kill other judges and cover it up" to "she can make a dead-end case get closed due to lack of evidence"?
The Judges in this movie are working against the odds (which is why they're judges and executioners in the first place, rather than just cops) and sometimes they get killed. That's just life in Megacity.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Shanty posted:

I don't know where you're getting this, because the entire movie seems to suggest that yeah, they completely would. Ma Ma has judges on her payroll. Is it a big leap from "she can literally pay three judges to kill other judges and cover it up" to "she can make a dead-end case get closed due to lack of evidence"?
The Judges in this movie are working against the odds (which is why they're judges and executioners in the first place, rather than just cops) and sometimes they get killed. That's just life in Megacity.
You might have a point. I'm "getting this" from what I know of real world police departments, but maybe the fictional world of Mega-City 1 works differently. Ma-Ma and the corrupt Judges all seriously thought they could murder Dredd and cover it up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I agree that mama probably had something of a latent death wish, I don't see how that makes it "the most ludicrous aspect of the movie" though. Surely that just makes her actions consistent with her character? I really don't get what you're arguing with this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ma-Ma is willing to pay the corrupt Judges millions to cover it up for her, if she's got a death wish and wants to go out gloriously, it's not reflected in the film.

She goes out of her way to constantly cover up the actions going on in Peach Trees, if she wanted a glorious battle, she could have just left the place opened up and not initiated the security lockdown.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Bifford posted:

You might have a point. I'm "getting this" from what I know of real world police departments, but maybe the fictional world of Mega-City 1 works differently.

My God, do you think? I thought Dredd was a documentary.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

You might have a point. I'm "getting this" from what I know of real world police departments, but maybe the fictional world of Mega-City 1 works differently. Ma-Ma and the corrupt Judges all seriously thought they could murder Dredd and cover it up.

Well I'm sure the judges would come out in force for a Judge-killing (I think it's even mentioned by Dredd at one point that it's harshly punished, at least), but it's also been established in the film that Peach Trees is a goddamn warzone, and that Ma Ma is in total control out there. It's important to the film that she has this kind of power, because it legitimises her as opposition to the judges. The Megacity One scenario would be ludicrous (and, again, toothless as satire) if the judges were just completely unstoppable and unreasonable.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Ma-Ma is willing to pay the corrupt Judges millions to cover it up for her, if she's got a death wish and wants to go out gloriously, it's not reflected in the film.

She goes out of her way to constantly cover up the actions going on in Peach Trees, if she wanted a glorious battle, she could have just left the place opened up and not initiated the security lockdown.

Its not going out gloriously if you don't actually try to put up a good fight. Its not an inconsistent interpretation of the character and her placidness when shes finally beaten.

What I don't get is why Baron Bifford seems to be arguing that the block war was an illogical action for a character who's all about inflicting terror and single minded brutality. I mean yeah, maybe the Judges are gonna take her down eventually, and it wasn't subtle or long term thinking on Mamas part, but so?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

massive spider posted:

Its not going out gloriously if you don't actually try to put up a good fight. Its not an inconsistent interpretation of the character and her placidness when shes finally beaten.

There's a difference between someone who's been in the game a long time knowing when their time is up and someone assuming their time is up and deciding to go out like a Viking.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jabby posted:

The residents have nothing to gain by going to the Judges. Even if they did, they have no evidence to present. Once more: the Judges are horribly over-stretched and cannot send in armies on the word of some resident.
I said way upthread that one of the biggest differences between MC1 of the comic and MC1 of the movie is that (prior to 'Day Of Chaos', at least) in the comic, if Dredd made a radio call saying that a crime boss had locked down an entire block and was committing mass murder to protect herself, there would have been H-Wagons and Mantas there within five minutes to blast their way in.

In the movie, two guys stroll up half an hour later and knock on the door, then stand around impotently when they're told they can't come in. The movie's Justice Department is far less powerful than its print equivalent. (Which would make an interesting shift if they ever do the Democracy sequel; would a less omnipotent Justice Department be even more desperate to retain what power it has in the face of a popular uprising?)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just wish this dvd was out before Christmas so I can buy it for gifts for everyone.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baron Bifford posted:

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, you don't know as much about how the police work as you think you do. Cover-ups of the murders or attempted murders of police officers have been well documented in the past. Not to mention the fact that the entire plot point you're harping on is utterly unimportant in the context of the film itself.

massive spider posted:

What I don't get is why Baron Bifford seems to be arguing that the block war was an illogical action for a character who's all about inflicting terror and single minded brutality. I mean yeah, maybe the Judges are gonna take her down eventually, and it wasn't subtle or long term thinking on Mamas part, but so?

Because he's scrabbling for ways to keep disagreeing since every other point he's tried to make has been shot down.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 28, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

You might have a point. I'm "getting this" from what I know of real world police departments, but maybe the fictional world of Mega-City 1 works differently.

Holy poo poo. I can't believe this is something someone would actually have trouble figuring out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baron Bifford posted:

Gosh golly, I sure am glad murders never get covered up by the police or go unsovled!

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

So, the DVD should be coming on January 14, 2013. Only way for me to see it since they didn't bother to even show it in my country.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Hogo Fogo posted:

So, the DVD should be coming on January 14, 2013. Only way for me to see it since they didn't bother to even show it in my country.

I really want to know what kind of extra's they are gong to have on the DVD/Blue Ray, commentaries with the actor/screen writers should be pretty fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BexGu posted:

I really want to know what kind of extra's they are gong to have on the DVD/Blue Ray, commentaries with the actor/screen writers should be pretty fun.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/dredd-blu-ray-details-announced/

quote:

Dredd Blu-ray and DVD Extras

"Mega-City Masters": 35 Years of Judge Dredd" featurette
"Day of Chaos: The Visual Effects of Dredd 3D" featurette
"Dredd" featurette
"Dredd's Gear" featurette
"The 3rd Dimension" featurette
"Welcome to Peachtrees" featurette
Dredd Motion Comic Prequel

It's still subject to change so they could add more.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
As lovely as people think the first movie was, I still love the line where Dredd is telling Rob Schneider's character that he could have jumped out the window. Then Rob says something about it being too high up, and Dredd responds, "True, but it's legal!"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

As lovely as people think the first movie was, I still love the line where Dredd is telling Rob Schneider's character that he could have jumped out the window. Then Rob says something about it being too high up, and Dredd responds, "True, but it's legal!"

I liked the old movie, but then I like cheesy movies. It wasn't exactly dark and gritty, but it had its moments. Personally I liked Dredd teaching ethics to rookies at the academy.

Thing with the first movie is it played Dredd as an extremely tough cop in a harsh but relatively normal place, rather than an excellent foot soldier of a fascist police-state. Personally I would love to see outside Peach Trees in the new Dredd universe. Are all Judges as cold as him? Or is he still exceptional?

jabby fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 30, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

blackguy32 posted:

Dredd in the comics has busted two jumpers that I can think of, 'Sorry citizen, I can't let you do it, you might land on someone' and 'attempted littering' :o:

There was a good 1-parter where he saves a drug-addicted new mother from jumping when her baby is born addicted and *doesn't* book her; I was kinda surprised, was nice to see him being less stony for once.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Suicide was originally illegal, so Dredd would put himself at considerable risk to arrest would-be (or actual) jumpers. At some point the law was changed; this being Mega-City One, mass suicides became an organised sport. There was a reference in one strip to the "Busby Berkeley block-leap championship." :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

Suicide was originally illegal, so Dredd would put himself at considerable risk to arrest would-be (or actual) jumpers. At some point the law was changed; this being Mega-City One, mass suicides became an organised sport. There was a reference in one strip to the "Busby Berkeley block-leap championship." :v:

Wasn't A Wreckless Disregard for Gravity and its sequel inspired by this with its protesters/fans and such?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

The old movie was weird because the individual scenes often work and there was a lot of effort put into the acting and the visuals, but the scenes don't flow together into an intelligent movie. You can actually find quite a few scenes IIRC that are fitting to the character and well acted.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NovemberMike posted:

The old movie was weird because the individual scenes often work and there was a lot of effort put into the acting and the visuals, but the scenes don't flow together into an intelligent movie. You can actually find quite a few scenes IIRC that are fitting to the character and well acted.

Yeah, I agree. I was watching a scene earlier where the Judge council is trying to decide what to do about the growing population. It is pretty funny to hear them say to have more executions for lesser crimes to keep the population in check.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I also find myself skipping portions of the movie if i "rewatch it".

I still find it drat entertaining in parts but as a whole it really isnt a great movie.

Demolition man managed to pull off the cheesy action scifi movie a heap better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How many more weeks until this is out on Blu Ray? I really want to see it again :negative:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How many more weeks until this is out on Blu Ray? I really want to see it again :negative:

January 14, according to someone a few posts ago. So six weeks. Oh god that's such a long time! :qq:

Also I'll need a blu-ray player and a 3DTV.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There was a John Wagner story where Judge Dredd has to save his niece from a vengeful criminal, and decides that the best way to protect her is to sever all contact. He was generally guilt-ridden over the whole thing and shows he's not so cold-blooded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

There was a John Wagner story where Judge Dredd has to save his niece from a vengeful criminal, and decides that the best way to protect her is to sever all contact. He was generally guilt-ridden over the whole thing and shows he's not so cold-blooded.

There's another story where Dredd authorises expensive medical treatment for a young girl who was severely injured while he was pursuing a perp, and beats the ever-loving poo poo out of another Judge when he's told he's overstepped his bounds. It's all leading up to the start of the Democracy storyline that ran for several years, and Dredd beginning to doubt the system and his place in it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How are the Batman and Dredd matchups? We got the collections in at work and I was looking through them and saw Dredd and Batman fighting and Dredd going "you're just getting more years!" everytime Batman punches him, also Joker on Judge Death's team.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

How are the Batman and Dredd matchups? We got the collections in at work and I was looking through them and saw Dredd and Batman fighting and Dredd going "you're just getting more years!" everytime Batman punches him, also Joker on Judge Death's team.

They're played for laughs and like most such team-ups, are not canon to either side. Judgement on Gotham is a hoot, though, and Steve Bisley did a fine job on the artwork. The others are a case of diminishing returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

They're played for laughs and like most such team-ups, are not canon to either side.

That's not true. Every single Judge Dredd cross-over is 'canon' to Judge Dredd. Those things actually happened and those Batman crossovers had some reasonably major plot points for Dredd's universe in them.

• Locked thread