Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Good. The more recent Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Ab Fab and Mrs. Brown's Boys were all terrible. I wouldn't mind seeing Rik Mayall again though, besides on beer adverts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

justcola posted:

Good. The more recent Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Ab Fab and Mrs. Brown's Boys were all terrible. I wouldn't mind seeing Rik Mayall again though, besides on beer adverts.

Those Bombadier ads are goddamn awful. Not even Rik can redeem them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd like to see him do something like The New Statesman (but for God's sake not another series), it seems like with age he'd be even better now at something in that same vein of veneer-of-respectability-hiding-some-twisted-poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ultrabindu posted:

Those Bombadier ads are goddamn awful. Not even Rik can redeem them.

No sorry, you are terribly terribly wrong sir. If a man knutting a roundshot is wrong then I don't want to live in your world.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Paperhouse posted:

Not one post about the latest Limmy's Show episode? It was utterly brilliant pretty much the whole way through

Nobody cares about Scottish shows :smith:

It was right good but.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Limmy's Show is amazing and so is his Twitter feed.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nice little article about Knightmare

http://gameological.com/2012/11/the-stuff-of-knightmare/

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jesus. Waiting for the Daily Politics to start I sat through a bit of In the Night Garden, for the first time. I didn't know if the narrator or I had had a stroke "burble pogle twend" or some such poo poo. Kids who grow up on this will be (moreso) unintelligible.

Also, its poo poo. Still was more grown up than Prime Minister's Questions, though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

VogeGandire posted:

The closest Peep Show gets to a happy ending is a bittersweet one, like the ending of the wedding.

"Minimal water damage!"

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Paperhouse posted:

Not one post about the latest Limmy's Show episode? It was utterly brilliant pretty much the whole way through

Limmy's Show is one of my favourite things on TV. I showed it to my friends and now they think I'm weird.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
They're weird if they don't like it :colbert:

also, I looked up the next episode on the BBC website and it says this about it:

quote:

For the first time ever, Limmy's Show! goes live with carefully orchestrated sketches, stunts, and audience participation. What could possibly go wrong?

No idea what that's going to be like but it's potentially amazing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

New series of An Idiot Abroad starts on Friday.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

That's a great article, thanks for the link.

Loved the bit about the nerdier players being deathly dull so they tried extra hard to kill them off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just saw the season finale of Fresh Meat. It was a great end to the season and did an ace job wrapping up all the story arcs. All in all this season has put the show right up there with the best of current UK TV.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I find it a bit weird how popular Fresh Meat seems in this thread actually. I've seen it all as well and I like it enough, but it's more something I watch for the sake of it than because I think it's actually great TV. It isn't bad, it's just not so good I'd expect people to be talking about it here all the time

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

Just saw the season finale of Fresh Meat. It was a great end to the season and did an ace job wrapping up all the story arcs. All in all this season has put the show right up there with the best of current UK TV.

I loved how JP had to deal with the possibility of being alone while Howard was dealing with the possibility of having a family and then them somehow meeting in the middle.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Regarding Peep Show I'm conflicted in how much I fancy Isy Suttie verses how much I have no idea what to make of Dobbys character in the last two series. She keeps having these weird whiplash moments where she goes from having a normal reaction to mark being a complete poo poo to being apparently somewhat ok about it.

In feels like the writers are hitting a challenge in making it at all plausible that anyone would want to be in a relationship with Mark. Mark and Sophie made more sense because, well, she was a bitch.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

massive spider posted:

Regarding Peep Show I'm conflicted in how much I fancy Isy Suttie verses how much I have no idea what to make of Dobbys character in the last two series. She keeps having these weird whiplash moments where she goes from having a normal reaction to mark being a complete poo poo to being apparently somewhat ok about it.

In feels like the writers are hitting a challenge in making it at all plausible that anyone would want to be in a relationship with Mark. Mark and Sophie made more sense because, well, she was a bitch.

Dobby has always been a bit unstable. Remember, her first day working at JLB she gives Mark a standing lap-dance in the stationary cupboard, complete with happy ending.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It just feels like she swings between "perfectly fine" to "absolute raging oval office" for absolutely no reason.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It just feels like she swings between "perfectly fine" to "absolute raging oval office" for absolutely no reason.
Welcome to women, heh

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

I loved how JP had to deal with the possibility of being alone while Howard was dealing with the possibility of having a family and then them somehow meeting in the middle.

The middle is a lovely place, it has a piggy and a hot tub. :3:

And while I can't really bear Josie or Kingsley, Vod is absolutely stellar, as is Howard. (The fact Howard is played by the same guy who does Gary: Tank Commander never fails to amuse me. He's utterly unrecognisable!)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Welcome to women, heh

Don't do this

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
It freaks me out a bit how much Dobby reminds me of one of my irl friends, character-wise. I think at the back of her mind Dobby knows she could do a lot better than Mark or Gerrard but she's just massively insecure, like pretty much everyone else in Peep Show.

I thought the last episode of Fresh Meat was good, although there weren't many big laughs compared to the rest of the series. Liked Shales getting his comeuppance though.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

McDragon posted:

New series of An Idiot Abroad starts on Friday.

Good stuff, what's the schtick this year? I've not seen much (anything) about it.

Al2001 posted:

Liked Shales getting his comeuppance though.

Tony Gardener plays a wanker in Fresh Meat and a stone-cold oval office in The Thick of It and yet I still felt sorry for him because for me, he'll always Brian from My Parents are Aliens

And since we've had Limmy's Show and Gary: Tank Commander, you should seek out Burnistoun as well. They're all fantastic :scotland:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think the gimmick is that it's got that dwarf dude in it. No, not Tyrion.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I had never previously heard of Gary: Tank Commander.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's some sort of Marco Polo thing apparently. And it's got Warwick Davis in it as well. Looks like it's only three episodes though. :(

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I had never previously heard of Gary: Tank Commander.

It's a bit hit and miss, but his dolly Edinburgh accent and general mannerisms (part sweetly camp man, part cheerful labrador puppy) are glorious, and some of the talking head sections where Gary expounds on subjects such as Greggs sausage rolls and why people from the middle east are so narky are touched by genius.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Irisi posted:

It's a bit hit and miss, but his dolly Edinburgh accent and general mannerisms (part sweetly camp man, part cheerful labrador puppy) are glorious, and some of the talking head sections where Gary expounds on subjects such as Greggs sausage rolls and why people from the middle east are so narky are touched by genius.

His boufin' Fife accent is magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNQvy8FovY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02f1UFEVM6g

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Was anyone else watching Secret State on Channel 4? If so, what the hell did I miss with the ending, or was it really intended to be that open-ended?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

onoflalks posted:

His boufin' Fife accent is magnificent.

Ahaha, I creased up at the "UR EY SAUSAGE ROLLS HAUT?"

Spot on.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for funny videos of British actors doing transparently fake American accents. These are common because it's apparently illegal for the BBC to hire Americans. Any help?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Paperhouse posted:

It was incredible. Adventure Call had me in stitches, the whole Dream Scheme thing, 'MARGARET, PUT IT IN YER MOOTH', god. Basically all of it. I love Limmy in spite of usually finding his show hit and miss, but this was almost all hits.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

John Charity Spring posted:

It was incredible. Adventure Call had me in stitches, the whole Dream Scheme thing, 'MARGARET, PUT IT IN YER MOOTH', god. Basically all of it. I love Limmy in spite of usually finding his show hit and miss, but this was almost all hits.
The tourist camera sketch was easily the highlight for me. So glad I caught up on this show recently.

And my personal favourite Adventure Call: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qammSSEwhiE

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Mescal posted:

These are common because it's apparently illegal for the BBC to hire Americans.
What on earth are you talking about?

Comedy answer: Hugh Laurie.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

The tourist camera sketch was easily the highlight for me. So glad I caught up on this show recently.
He's a bastard!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

New This is England to start filming next year!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I had previously discarded Buzzcocks as having got crap now, but I quite enjoyed this week's episode despite despising the entirety of Fielding's ~wacky~ team. Enjoyed Alex Horne's band. Is the verdict that it has recently been pretty bad, though?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Noreaus posted:

I had previously discarded Buzzcocks as having got crap now, but I quite enjoyed this week's episode despite despising the entirety of Fielding's ~wacky~ team. Enjoyed Alex Horne's band. Is the verdict that it has recently been pretty bad, though?

I feel it's really, really depending on who the guest host is. Personally I don't have the massive distaste for Noel Fielding that some people have, but I think the only time NMTB was ever consistently good was when Amstell was the host. If I remember correctly, the Example and Lee Mack episodes were pretty good this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

I feel it's really, really depending on who the guest host is. Personally I don't have the massive distaste for Noel Fielding that some people have, but I think the only time NMTB was ever consistently good was when Amstell was the host. If I remember correctly, the Example and Lee Mack episodes were pretty good this season.

Noel fielding just tries too hard to be quirky and outrageous rather than actually being funny.

Also it was better when Mark Lamarr was the host. :colbert:

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 29, 2012