Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

That's so loving cool, it'd obviously take some getting used too but I can see that being super fast if you ever did. I typed this out like that!

Now I want swype to support this so badly.
I looked around to see if anyone else had discovered this. All I came up with was this reddit post.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12vcwy/swype_with_two_fingers_on_the_42_keyboard/

I am a keyboard use-case pioneer :woop: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ColdCock posted:

Sounds exactly like that Keymonk keyboard app that was recently released. My brain can't operate on the level to effectively use it.

welp, I'm hooked, gotta learn how to get good at this now. it makes me feel smart just using it. (and dumb cause I suck)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I was playing with this last night since I (finally) got the update, it took me a while to work out exactly how the two-finger thing was working. I'm still pretty slow with it, but I bet once you get both hands working together you can swipe like a fiend.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Well unintended or not it's already proving useful on my N7. I can't really see it being useful on a phone though.

It's just an extension of two-thumb typing really, there are some situations where it just feels more comfortable (and it's somehow hard to think of them now, but that's how I discovered the two-finger swiping in the first place). It definitely feels buggy though - try swiping "let's" with two fingers, even when you hit the L dead on and keep it there you get all kinds of words starting with P half the time. It's pretty inconsistent, but it'll probably get refined

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Is there a reason to use AdBlock if you're already rooted and running AdFree?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Is there a reason to use AdBlock if you're already rooted and running AdFree?

Nope. In fact I'd say that AdFree is the better app in this case.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
While mentioning things about the new keyboard, I came across this a little bit ago and it was news to me. Nice for tablets with the extra room.

quote:

So I found a new type of keyboard called the PC Keyboard in Android 4.1 and 4.2. You can find it under Android Keyboard Settings > Advanced Settings > Add Style > PC. It offers both left and right hand Shift keys, and extra row of numbers at the top, and commonly used punctuation marks always on the screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is there any reason to use AdAway over AdFree?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

deong posted:

While mentioning things about the new keyboard, I came across this a little bit ago and it was news to me. Nice for tablets with the extra room.

Pretty cool. I got excited there for a min thinking I'd be able to uninstall hacker's keyboard and never install another keyboard again but there's no ctrl, tab or arrows. :(

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
How are you guys able to type out cuss words in SwiftKey? I always get duck for gently caress and all the other variants.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

i like tacos posted:

How are you guys able to type out cuss words in SwiftKey? I always get duck for gently caress and all the other variants.

Mine just learned after using them a few times. Try going into Personalization and re-learning from SMS or email or whatever venue you cuss most in.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My phone can do gently caress and poo poo without autocorrecting now, but it for some reason always capitalizes loving and will never "suggest" a swear, merely complacent with not correcting it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

loving is the actual name of an Austrian town. Not suggesting invectives is probably a fail-safe measure in case you're writing for work or church or something, since detecting writing contexts is probably (at least right now) a feat a bit beyond the reach of a typing predicition engine, even Google's.

LastInLine posted:

Is there any reason to use AdAway over AdFree?

On my Nexus 7 AdFree never actually picked up on the hosts file, even though I gave it a half hour to do so.

AdAway does not have this problem. I could just keep using AdFree where it works, but I also like keeping my Play Store app history tidy.

Also AdAway allows you custom blacklists and whitelists and it isn't quite so false-positive-happy.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dirtyfrog posted:

What's the 'safest' app for tethering without being rumbled? I'm on t mobile UK if that makes any difference, and wanting to tether my rooted N7 to my rooted GS3.

If you're on an existing contract, you should still be able to tether fine.
If not, tether normally, then use a useragent switcher so your desktop looks like an android browser still.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There shouldn't be any problems on that front if I tether a tablet (Nexus 10) to Nexus 4? I hear the Nexus 4 has built in tethering even without rooting. I'm in the US.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Is there a simple way to use a custom font on my SGS3 without rooting it?

If it matters the font I'm hoping to use is VAG Rounded, or any variation of it (light or thin)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

FISHMANPET posted:

There shouldn't be any problems on that front if I tether a tablet (Nexus 10) to Nexus 4? I hear the Nexus 4 has built in tethering even without rooting. I'm in the US.

In theory it shouldn't even be detectable. Probably. After all, you're attaching an android to an android, which will send android browser IDs. Androids all round. Android.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FISHMANPET posted:

You'll be fine. About the only thing I use my Nexus S for anymore other than tethering to my Nexus 7 is phone calls and SMS. All your carrier is going to see is an Android device.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You'll be fine. About the only thing I use my Nexus S for anymore other than tethering to my Nexus 7 is phone calls and SMS. All your carrier is going to see is an Android device.

Kerbtree posted:

In theory it shouldn't even be detectable. Probably. After all, you're attaching an android to an android, which will send android browser IDs. Androids all round. Android.

Although not answering me directly, thanks for clarifying what I actually asked about! That confirms what I thought - data is data is data, and the only clues they have as to the device is if I'm browsing, where the user agent gives the game away. But as I want to use the N7 via my GS3, all they'll see is android and I'm all good. Wicked, that'll be me taking my N7 into work from now on.

Kerbtree posted:

If you're on an existing contract, you should still be able to tether fine.

They dropped the allowance to tether from the Full Monty plan earlier this year, before I got the contract. If I did tether, and I was to be rumbled, how forgiving are networks for first offences if I play the 'sorry, I thought it was ok because I've got unlimited data' card?

dirtyfrog fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 28, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dirtyfrog posted:

Although not answering me directly, thanks for clarifying what I actually asked about! That confirms what I thought - data is data is data, and the only clues they have as to the device is if I'm browsing, where the user agent gives the game away. But as I want to use the N7 via my GS3, all they'll see is android and I'm all good. Wicked, that'll be me taking my N7 into work from now on.
It is still possible to detect Android -> Android tethering, with deep packet inspection or similar, it's just a loss more difficult and less likely that they are going to bother unless you start doing something to make them notice you (like using a tonne of data on an unlimited contract, or whatever).

The only way to prevent DPI is to encrypt everything you send. But this isn't a thing you need to worry about, it's just :science: .

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

I'm sure this has been asked many times but couldn't see it on the last dozen pages or so: What's a good lightweight facebook app? I just have a cheapy android phone (Wildfire S) that only has 128mb Internal memory and the official FB app is now 20 odd megs and can't be moved to the SD card, even after using the android SDK to set install location to 2.

I mostly just want it for my newsfeed, but ability to upload pictures would be good as well.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Lord Dekks posted:

I'm sure this has been asked many times but couldn't see it on the last dozen pages or so: What's a good lightweight facebook app? I just have a cheapy android phone (Wildfire S) that only has 128mb Internal memory and the official FB app is now 20 odd megs and can't be moved to the SD card, even after using the android SDK to set install location to 2.

I mostly just want it for my newsfeed, but ability to upload pictures would be good as well.

You're probably best off just using the mobile site via your phone's browser in that case.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006

Tunga posted:

The only way to prevent DPI is to encrypt everything you send. But this isn't a thing you need to worry about, it's just :science: .

I've always heard that even with encryption you're not DPI proof. Rumor has it that if the hop count on your packets isn't what your telco expects they know you're using more devices than they allow (i.e. you're tethering).

And I would expect fiddling with your hop count would require some low level (driver or kernel) hacking.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Kathandrion posted:

Is there a simple way to use a custom font on my SGS3 without rooting it?

If it matters the font I'm hoping to use is VAG Rounded, or any variation of it (light or thin)
TouchWiz supports FlipFonts which are just installed like a regular app and then you can change the font under the Display settings. (There's a collection of them here for example.) However, if you can't find the font you're looking for in that format, you'd have to be rooted to do it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have to say, Google's decision to use your Google+ real name and photo on App store reviews should cut the crap reviews down significantly.

I don't post troll reviews, but I just went to post a review of an app and found myself stopped cold, really thinking about what I'm writing (so it didn't come across as XDA-ish sperging) because *it's really me* that's displayed to the world...

:golfclap: google

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
The other side of the coin is some narky developers will start harassing anyone who leaves a less-than-positive review on their app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Xarb posted:

The other side of the coin is some narky developers will start harassing anyone who leaves a less-than-positive review on their app.

And with the power of social media they'll get bombarded by angry nerds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Google Now is technically an app, right? Anyhow, it recently stopped giving me travel times to home and work, even though all the cards are turned on. How do I get that one back?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I think this counts as an app question, sort of: how do I make my phone rebuild the Android music library? Normally I use PowerAmp which has its own, but I needed to check something in the built-in music player app and found that its listing all of my music three times. Two of the three say "This file type is not supported" (presumably because the file isn't where the phone thinks it is) and the last one plays fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I think this counts as an app question, sort of: how do I make my phone rebuild the Android music library? Normally I use PowerAmp which has its own, but I needed to check something in the built-in music player app and found that its listing all of my music three times. Two of the three say "This file type is not supported" (presumably because the file isn't where the phone thinks it is) and the last one plays fine.
Have you cleared the cache and data for Play Music?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Have you cleared the cache and data for Play Music?

I don't have Play Music, just a built-in app called "Music player" which I was assuming was provided by Google but I suppose could be part of TouchWiz (Galaxy S2). It didn't have any cache to clear, clearing the data had no effect.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

I don't have Play Music, just a built-in app called "Music player" which I was assuming was provided by Google but I suppose could be part of TouchWiz (Galaxy S2). It didn't have any cache to clear, clearing the data had no effect.
Where did/does that music come from, did you copy it to your phone or is it streaming from somewhere or what?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hotsauce posted:

I have to say, Google's decision to use your Google+ real name and photo on App store reviews should cut the crap reviews down significantly.

I don't post troll reviews, but I just went to post a review of an app and found myself stopped cold, really thinking about what I'm writing (so it didn't come across as XDA-ish sperging) because *it's really me* that's displayed to the world...

:golfclap: google

You don't read enough Google+ then because the commenters I've seen on there rival Youtube commenters for awfulness. You may have a little bit of common sense, but that doesn't mean everybody does.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Tunga posted:

Where did/does that music come from, did you copy it to your phone or is it streaming from somewhere or what?

It was installed on the phone when I got it and the phone is unbranded, which is what made me assume it was part of the default Android 'bundle'. It doesn't stream music, it just plays media from the local storage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

It was installed on the phone when I got it and the phone is unbranded, which is what made me assume it was part of the default Android 'bundle'. It doesn't stream music, it just plays media from the local storage.
Well it's not stock so it's TouchWiz. If clearing the data didn't work and all the SD card rescanner apps on the Play Store don't work I'm not sure what else to try.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Well it's not stock so it's TouchWiz. If clearing the data didn't work and all the SD card rescanner apps on the Play Store don't work I'm not sure what else to try.

Ah, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as an SD card rescanner - hence my original question of how do I force a library rebuild.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

rolleyes posted:

Ah, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as an SD card rescanner - hence my original question of how do I force a library rebuild.

Did you try rebooting?

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will allow only specific numbers to ring through while the phone is in silent mode? I've seen several on google play, but most have pretty so so reviews.

e: and that will kick in automatically when silent mode is on rather than having to set a timer.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

Did you try rebooting?

Yeah, I've tried the good old turn it off and on again. If I can't fix it then it's no big deal as I was just trying to compare EQ settings between it and PowerAmp for one specific case. It looks like it's another example of Samsung producing crap software.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

Sorry I meant the music, not the app. What does it think it can see, are they just files that are on your SD card? What happesn if you just delete one of the songs, does anything disappear? Only one entry? All three? All still there?

There is a system app called Media Storage, clearing the data on that should force a library rebuild. I don't think that will screw up anything else but back up anything important first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

stimpy posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will allow only specific numbers to ring through while the phone is in silent mode? I've seen several on google play, but most have pretty so so reviews.

e: and that will kick in automatically when silent mode is on rather than having to set a timer.
Tasker can do this.

• Locked thread