Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

It depends on the species, but a high proportion of wildlife photography uses food as a lure. It can raise ethical questions at times, but it's certainly not seen as cheating per se. However the trick is to use food while also not photographing said food.

That's good to know! My aunt lives up in the north woods of Wisconsin and has a regular cast of birds visiting her feeder, so I took all of those photos in about 30 minutes. I definitely want to plunk down at the park for an afternoon at some point, I guess I'll bring some food with me then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dopaMEAN posted:

That's good to know! My aunt lives up in the north woods of Wisconsin and has a regular cast of birds visiting her feeder, so I took all of those photos in about 30 minutes. I definitely want to plunk down at the park for an afternoon at some point, I guess I'll bring some food with me then.

When I'm shooting water fowl at the park the only way to get them to you is with food. Unless you're planning on getting some seriously long reaching hardware ($$$$) you're gonna have to bring them to you.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When I'm shooting water fowl at the park the only way to get them to you is with food. Unless you're planning on getting some seriously long reaching hardware ($$$$) you're gonna have to bring them to you.

I think for the foreseeable future I'm going to be stuck with what I have. The pictures I posted were with my aunt's 150mm lens, maybe some day I'll be able to buy one of those.

Of course, before I can buy anything I'll need to figure out what kind of lenses are compatible with my camera. So much to learn!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

dopaMEAN posted:

Bear in mind that successful wildlife photography is often built on field-craft and planning. Even food is a long-game; unless you're lucky birds won't find food straight away.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Backyard-Bird-Photography-Setup-Tips.aspx

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Edit: ^^^^^ nice link. I might need to start doing this instead of hitting up the park.

dopaMEAN posted:

I think for the foreseeable future I'm going to be stuck with what I have. The pictures I posted were with my aunt's 150mm lens, maybe some day I'll be able to buy one of those.

Of course, before I can buy anything I'll need to figure out what kind of lenses are compatible with my camera. So much to learn!

There's some pointers posts earlier in this thread, be sure to look for them. I shoot with some low end hardware and still manage some decent bird stuff so keep at it. Just remember that you'll blow through a ton of poo poo shots when shooting birds. For every decent one there's 20 other ones where its a blurry mess.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 26, 2012

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There's a ton of similar links around:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1212874
http://www.naturespicsonline.com/introduction/next
http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/9.1.html

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Cool, thanks for putting up those links.

InternetJunky posted:

I've been enjoying your bird pics from Tasmanian. That place is high on my bucket list.
Thanks! I'm here for 3 more months, so I should be able to get a few more (Fairy Wrens, like all birds, are utter bastards and won't let me line up a good shot :argh: ). Tasmania is awesome, definitely get down here with some long glass if you can. I brought my 500mm f/4.5 with me, despite all the advice to the contrary in my checked luggage. Actually, I checked all my camera gear except a film SLR (Pentax ME Super, of course). No problems, but YMMV.

My cousin took over my uncle's pet-feed business, and signed me up to an industry newsletter the company contributes to - "Wild Bird Feeding Industry" - they sell a variety of seed mixes designed for feeding wild birds in various regions of North America. They are also running a long-term study of feeding preferences by various species, obviously the corporate motivation is to sell more birdseed but it overlaps with people's desire to see more diversity of birds. It's a common practice, people like seeing birds in their backyards.

As far as the ethics of using bird feeding (feeders, or scattering food on the ground or in the water) are concerned, it seems like mostly personal preference, some people don't want to see clearly artificial structures in their wildlife photos. I generally try to avoid it (purely for individual aesthetic reasons, i.e. I'm a pretentious rear end), which means some difficult crops because of course I take pictures of birds at / near feeders.

On a related topic, how do people feel about carrion eaters on roadkill? I'm seeing tons of ravens (almost certainly Forest Ravens, Corvus tasmanicus) on and near the roads here, because there's lots of roadkill. They take off as soon as I slow down, so I have little hope of getting a picture of one in these circumstances, but I was wondering if other people had opinions on the subject.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The only time I think I've taken exception to people feeding birds for pictures was when a whole bunch of people were taking snowy owl pictures on another forum and they were all the iconic "snowy with wings spread and legs out a split second before grabbing its prey" shots. I later learned they had been buying mice at a pet store and releasing them for the snowy. I think that same owl was hit by a car later in the year on top of it all.

It's just my person opinion of course, but I think learning they had baited the owl really ruined those shots for me. Birds at a bird feeder isn't exactly in the same league.

ExecuDork posted:

On a related topic, how do people feel about carrion eaters on roadkill? I'm seeing tons of ravens (almost certainly Forest Ravens, Corvus tasmanicus) on and near the roads here, because there's lots of roadkill. They take off as soon as I slow down, so I have little hope of getting a picture of one in these circumstances, but I was wondering if other people had opinions on the subject.
You could make a pretty good argument that you're capturing natural behaviour.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think it sounds like an excellent opportunity. If you're patient, they'll probably return to eat some more. You can even perform a service to the birds by moving any roadkill that is in a dangerous position.

The pet-store mice for snowy owls was what I had in mind when I wrote my earlier reply. Another one is Kingfishers; a lot of the best photos of those will have been proceeded by the photographer catching fish and keeping them in a container/net below a photographic perch.

Now I've been there with kingfishers and in the summer I'm off to Finland to a place where they've been leaving dead salmon for bears since the mid-90's. On the other hand, I know somebody who objected when he found out people where using dewd fish to get good Bald eagle shots (google Lock and Dam 14) so it's very much a personal thing. You need to ask yourself 'Is it unfair to the bait', 'does it induce behaviour that then puts the subject at risk', etc.

Also; everybody go out and properly clean your bird feeders if you haven't done so recently. Minimise the risk of disease transmission.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think it sounds like an excellent opportunity. If you're patient, they'll probably return to eat some more. You can even perform a service to the birds by moving any roadkill that is in a dangerous position.
These are good points. I did just pick up some leather work gloves, I can at least avoid the maggots getting on my skin I suppose. Late in the afternoons, sometimes the cloud of flies hovering over a carcass are illuminated by the low, golden sunlight. It's quite picturesque, and would be even more so with a nice scavenger in frame, eyeball dangling from its beak...
Welp, now I've talked myself into a new photographic goal. Seems difficult, but if I ever succeed I'll post it here.

The petstore mice thing is pretty bad. There seems to be an ethical line, with seeds piled on a rock on one side and live bait on the other. I don't know where that line lies, exactly, but I'm not particularly interested in exploring that conceptual space.

Besides, how the gently caress am I supposed to bait for Little Penguins?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

The only time I think I've taken exception to people feeding birds for pictures was when a whole bunch of people were taking snowy owl pictures on another forum and they were all the iconic "snowy with wings spread and legs out a split second before grabbing its prey" shots. I later learned they had been buying mice at a pet store and releasing them for the snowy. I think that same owl was hit by a car later in the year on top of it all.

It's just my person opinion of course, but I think learning they had baited the owl really ruined those shots for me. Birds at a bird feeder isn't exactly in the same league.
:stare:

Jesus Christ that's terrible. I was thinking urban birds at a feeder or park lake. That's a whole other level. Like you, I'm not sure where the line is but that snowy owl thing is definitely over it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

All that driving finally paid off. Found not one but two snowys today!

He (she?) flew off before I could move to get the sun in a better spot. I'll take it regardless.

The next one was down in a field, but stupidly I left the car running when I took this shot so the vibrations carried through to my lens. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

He (she?) flew off before I could move to get the sun in a better spot. I'll take it regardless.

God drat that is a beautiful bird.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

drat. I know you did a lot of driving to find this, but you certainly made it count when you did.

From what I understand, males are less barred than females (Juveniles are more barred as a whole) so that may be a male.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Hot drat, that's a good photo. I'm glad it finally paid off. I now predict you'll see plenty more Snowys for the rest of this winter (it never rains but it pours, etc.).

My understanding is that adult males are pure white, females and subadults are barred. But it's early in the season so even the adult males might not be rockin' a full mating season plumage.

I've left the car running while shooting a long lens before, too - usually the pictures aren't worth lamenting the additional bit of blur from those vibrations, your example will hopefully drive it home (pun not intended) for me.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Very nice, I'm hoping to go out looking for snowy owls on Friday, provided it does stop snowing by then and the clouds go away.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Very nice, I'm hoping to go out looking for snowy owls on Friday, provided it does stop snowing by then and the clouds go away.
You're in Edmonton as well, right? Highway 21 and Township Road 540 seems to be where the two I found yesterday hang out. Some bird watcher list I signed up for mentioned them there 3 days ago and since they were still there yesterday I assume they're in the area for the winter. Good luck though -- that's still a lot of country road to cover in that area!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You're in Edmonton as well, right? Highway 21 and Township Road 540 seems to be where the two I found yesterday hang out. Some bird watcher list I signed up for mentioned them there 3 days ago and since they were still there yesterday I assume they're in the area for the winter. Good luck though -- that's still a lot of country road to cover in that area!

Cool, I was going to check around the airport this week, but I'll probably check that area out next week, looks like there's hawk owls in the area too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bird/map?&fLat=53.6096&fLon=-113.2119&zl=13

Staring out the window at work about 15 minutes ago, there were some mapgies trying to chase away a bald eagle flying around the Hotel MacDonald

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Cool, I was going to check around the airport this week, but I'll probably check that area out next week, looks like there's hawk owls in the area too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bird/map?&fLat=53.6096&fLon=-113.2119&zl=13

Staring out the window at work about 15 minutes ago, there were some mapgies trying to chase away a bald eagle flying around the Hotel MacDonald
I found a bald eagle today in the area where I had found the snowys a few days ago.

Not the best picture but he didn't give me long to set up.

I would love to find different types of owls but don't really know the first thing about tracking them down other than looking for the bones/fur of their victims at the base of trees.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

I would love to find different types of owls but don't really know the first thing about tracking them down other than looking for the bones/fur of their victims at the base of trees.

Northern Hawk Owls are probably going to be your next best option for photographing owls since they hunt in the daytime. Not particularly common that I know of, but you might get lucky. I drove around an entire day looking for owls this spring when I was up there for work and found nothing :( Short Eared owls also hunt in the day. Northern Hawk Owls will be perch hunters and Short Eared Owls will fly around constantly looking for meals.

Great Horned, Great Gray, and Barred owls are also found in Alberta this time of year (according to eBird), but I believe they all hunt almost exclusively at night so unless you stumble upon their sleeping spot you probably will have a hard time finding them. There was a Barred the was seen frequently in some park I'm too lazy to look up and someone posted photos here last winter. Might still frequent the area.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Haven't had too much time for photo stuff lately, but I processed a couple pics from just before the ICF closed for the season. I love cranes :)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Northern Hawk Owls are probably going to be your next best option for photographing owls since they hunt in the daytime. Not particularly common that I know of, but you might get lucky. I drove around an entire day looking for owls this spring when I was up there for work and found nothing :( Short Eared owls also hunt in the day. Northern Hawk Owls will be perch hunters and Short Eared Owls will fly around constantly looking for meals.

Great Horned, Great Gray, and Barred owls are also found in Alberta this time of year (according to eBird), but I believe they all hunt almost exclusively at night so unless you stumble upon their sleeping spot you probably will have a hard time finding them. There was a Barred the was seen frequently in some park I'm too lazy to look up and someone posted photos here last winter. Might still frequent the area.
Thanks for the info. I went out in the same spot as my snowy yesterday and found him again, but I think I'm going to have to just hope to get lucky for any other owls at this point.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hahahahahahaha :stare:

I love this shot so much.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I like the second image, but it'd benefit if the owl wasn't quite so central (IMO). For some amazing owl in snow photos, check out this guy.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Nice IJ, I saw one Snowy yesterday on a fence post along Highway 19 between Range Road 252 and 253. But it was on the other side of the road and when I was finally able to pull a u-turn and get back to the spot, it was gone.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I went out in the same spot as my snowy yesterday and found him again, but I think I'm going to have to just hope to get lucky for any other owls at this point.

Ahahaha. The look perfectly says "You again?! What the hell is your problem, rear end in a top hat?"

Owls are great. Shoot more owls. I have been told I'm missing a "lovely winter" in Saskatoon. I'm missing driving along empty highways, scanning powerline poles for flying Arctic dinosaurs.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Decided to take a break from Snowy hunting today so the wife and I went on a cold nature walk instead.

This one was a first for me: female Pine Grosbeak

I also found some very cold-looking waxwings

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Just to contrast with you guys in the northern hemisphere, here's a photo of a nesting coot.

Coots

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Trambopaline posted:

Just to contrast with you guys in the northern hemisphere, here's a photo of a nesting coot.

Coots

We have coots here too!

American Coot (Fulica americana) by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Coots have the weirdest looking feet

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Oh haha, not trying to imply that coots only exist in the southern hemisphere, just wanted to post some more spring type photos to contrast with all the snow in the last few posts. :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My "Birds of Tasmania" lists 3 species of gulls; Silver Gulls (Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae) are apparently only found this side of the Wallace Line, and are very common. I used one to give my 70-210 a workout a couple of weeks ago, and then got a bit silly in the processing.

Gull Tryptich by Execudork, on Flickr

I've got decent (to my standards) shots of the other two species, but I haven't ploughed through those photos yet. Not that they're spectacularly unusual, gulls of one species or another seem to be pretty common most places, and willing to not disappear over the horizon at the first sight of a big front element.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Local owl. This is heavily cropped at 400mm.

Birding Is Hard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Also, on the "feeding on carrion" thing, I've posted these before.

Turkey vultures, eating a dead banana rat.

ratvultures2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Turkey vultures eating a dead cuban boa.

vuleatsnake by torgeaux, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wow- that landing vulture is pretty great.

Pretty sure that's a red-shouldered hawk.

Jealous of the winter birds all you canuks are seeing!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

torgeaux posted:

Local owl. This is heavily cropped at 400mm.

Birding Is Hard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Definitely not an owl.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Wow- that landing vulture is pretty great.

Pretty sure that's a red-shouldered hawk.

Jealous of the winter birds all you canuks are seeing!

Red shouldered hawk it is. Profile fooled me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Someone from a local nature society posted this yesterday:

quote:

Everyone know what a Borsch Bird is?

It's something dirt common, everyday, same old same old.

Looks like Snowy Owls are turning into this winters borsch bird.
In other words, look forward to a million more shots of snowys from me because I'm going out every day to shoot them.

ExecuDork posted:

Gull Tryptich by Execudork, on Flickr

I've got decent (to my standards) shots of the other two species, but I haven't ploughed through those photos yet. Not that they're spectacularly unusual, gulls of one species or another seem to be pretty common most places, and willing to not disappear over the horizon at the first sight of a big front element.
Speaking of "borsch birds", gulls get a bad rap in this regard. There's a lake near me where thousands go to breed on a small island in the middle and I just sit in my kayak watching them for hours. I love gulls.

torgeaux posted:

Also, on the "feeding on carrion" thing, I've posted these before.

Turkey vultures, eating a dead banana rat.

ratvultures2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Turkey vultures eating a dead cuban boa.

vuleatsnake by torgeaux, on Flickr
How flighty are vultures? A close-up of one landing would make an awesome shot. They are beautiful birds even if they do get into some nasty stuff.

I just spent hundreds of dollars on bird feeders and bird feed this week. Took less than a day to get noticed.

These are shot through a window -- if I try with an open door the heat shimmer from the house ruins the shots worse than the window does.

All these bastards are going to eat me out of house and home. The magpies especially, as they come non-stop for the peanuts and stash them in their hidden vaults all over the place.

[edit] It's interesting to see how crappy my processing was, especially in that Flicker shot. All three birds on the same perch and the perch looks different in each.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 7, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Really like this. The snow on the head is a good catch.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I drove more than 10 hours today and the temperatures were below -30, but still managed to get a keeper shot of the Northern Hawk Owl:

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I only learned Northern Hawk Owls are a thing that exists this past summer, when my GF and I followed some freaking weird calls at dusk in a Saskatchewan Provincial Park. Too dark for photos, I only had a film camera loaded with iso 100 (and not highly pushable film) anyways. Some internet detective-ness when we got home, and we settled on a sub-adult. But a few days later the GF got second thoughts.

Your picture is gorgeous, regardless. Why don't you have a flickr or something where I can over-enthusiastically "favourite" your owl shots?

I'm going through the photos I took today, a goddam Kookaburra was sitting on a short road-side post, right freakin' there! when I drove past. I turned around, drove past again (he just sat there, watching me), parked a ways down the road, then started walking towards him while snapping periodically with my (not at all living up to expectations) 70-210. He hosed off before I got close enough for a good shot. :argh:

First glance at some more Black Currawong shots look decent, though.