Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

President Ark posted:

First migration once the save trades hands has the retired bureaucrat of the previous leader?

The second you change player the previous bureaucrat gets shot out of the town hall and into the street via a pipe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

nvining posted:

If I learned anything from Gemclod, it's that people's avatars should be allowed to run around in the city after their turn is up. So I don't know entirely how well this will work, as I'm not sure if the bureaucrat is an in-person entity; it might be as simple as your bureaucrat joining the common population after your year is up with a sign saying "Retired Bureaucrat" or something.

The British army and navy would take officers they didn't need (or want in command) and put them on half pay, a situation where they were still in the service but otherwise held no official command. You could do something similar with the bureaucrats. A bureaucrat who's term is over but not reassigned may go on half pay in the colony until (if) they get a new assignment. (S)He gets half pay so that explains why they don't have to hold down a job and also explains why they are still around in the colony. This also is an excuse to keep them around if players are taking turns running the colony.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Disgraced Former Mayor/Town Drunkard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SynthOrange posted:

Disgraced Former Mayor/Town Drunkard.

Or maybe turn him into someone like this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Or maybe turn him into someone like this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

I'm pretty sure that no one was paying Emperor Norton. The city just kind of collectively put up with him and made sure he had someplace to eat.

cinn
May 13, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

I absolutely love this man. he is my favorite person of the day. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thereby proving that San Francisco always has been and will always be the coolest city.

Anyway, thinking on how CE seems to be so heavily invested in the eldritch side of things, I was wondering about the possibility of a pseudo fail state. Naturally when the Hideously Powerful and Excessively Aged Things rise from the sea it all goes to poo poo, but what about a less ruinous incursion of spooky poo poo? What if it can all go spectacularly right, and you end up running some kind of crazy necropolis of eldritch mutants and wee vile beasties? Business continues as usual, but weird tech options start opening up, and the entire off-map world goes hostile to you because holy poo poo your people tried to eat our caravan with beaks.

Probably not feasible to include in the initial release (if at all!) but it seems like it'd make a cool expansion. Why fear R'yleh when you can run it?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Orv posted:

Anyway, thinking on how CE seems to be so heavily invested in the eldritch side of things, I was wondering about the possibility of a pseudo fail state. Naturally when the Hideously Powerful and Excessively Aged Things rise from the sea it all goes to poo poo, but what about a less ruinous incursion of spooky poo poo? What if it can all go spectacularly right, and you end up running some kind of crazy necropolis of eldritch mutants and wee vile beasties? Business continues as usual, but weird tech options start opening up, and the entire off-map world goes hostile to you because holy poo poo your people tried to eat our caravan with beaks.

Probably not feasible to include in the initial release (if at all!) but it seems like it'd make a cool expansion. Why fear R'yleh when you can run it?

Sir/Ma'am, this is the best suggested idea ive heard in this thread so far. Running Y'rleh (im respecting copyrights! :downs:) into the ground could be something i get endless hours of enjoyment out of.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shadowmorn posted:

Sir/Ma'am, this is the best suggested idea ive heard in this thread so far. Running Y'rleh (im respecting copyrights! :downs:) into the ground could be something i get endless hours of enjoyment out of.

But... but... are there copyrights on R'yleh? All that stuff is available for free so doesn't that mean anyone can use it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deadmeat5150 posted:

But... but... are there copyrights on R'yleh? All that stuff is available for free so doesn't that mean anyone can use it?

It's in a kinda-sorta-copyrighted stage where the lovecraft estate demands their tithes with questionable legality, but seeing as how the current movement is to actually take public domain things and put them BACK under copyright, it's probably safest to just pretend that it's copyrighted.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Copyright

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Heh, sir, but thank you. I was just using "running R'yleh" for the tone of the idea. To be honest the eldritch stuff on hand in CE seems a lot more involved and worrying so far, so they could do some pretty great stuff. Running a colony of psychic obelisk people, for instance. What once might have been a simple bar fight turns into a crazy mind duel that flattens half the town and makes people explode.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 28, 2012

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dear developers. Please make your expansion the ability to run an eldrich city as a rogue city. I will not be able to give you my money fast enough.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Hah. No.

Because the Lovecraft estate - or at least, very large parts of it - is not technically speaking public domain, and because it's so confused, nobody is sure which parts of it are public domain and which parts of it aren't. Good old H.P. was too concerned about his fevered eldritch visions to bother doing paperwork, you see, and that Derleth guy who was involved with the rights at one point didn't make things much better.

Ergo, we can't actually have anything which is a strict call-out to Cthulhu, the Mythos, R'lyeh, etc. Normally, if it was just us, we would take it, but some portion of our funding comes from the Government of Canada, and they (being Canadian) are Justly Concerned about this sort of thing.

So you just get to have Invisible Geometers instead, and mind-polyps, and C'thonian Torbs, etc...

EDIT: As for the people demanding total Eldritch Madness in their simulators... well, we'll see. The company game of Dominions 3 has sort of convinced me that this is a good thing, but then again I am playing LA R'lyeh. :)

nvining fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 28, 2012

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

EDIT: As for the people demanding total Eldritch Madness in their simulators... well, we'll see. The company game of Dominions 3 has sort of convinced me that this is a good thing, but then again I am playing LA R'lyeh. :)

Not a demand, an expansion hook! :colbert:

The whole thing with copyrights pisses me off no end, dudes been dead for years, copyright laws should no longer hold any water. Of course im not delusional enough to actually believe any kind of Copyright law exists to protect the author, just the company that funded and reaped the reward of the author's designs. :rolleyes:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Not to belabor the point, but how does Canada deal with Fair Use? I know shows like South Park name drop Cthulhu fairly easily, but the protections and all may be different north of the border.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

Not to belabor the point, but how does Canada deal with Fair Use? I know shows like South Park name drop Cthulhu fairly easily, but the protections and all may be different north of the border.

We don't have a fair use law. Our copyright laws are actually almost harsher, but the only difference is they're not enforced consistently.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

We don't have a fair use law. Our copyright laws are actually almost harsher, but the only difference is they're not enforced consistently.

Now do you mean 'enforced' or do you mean 'abused'?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Orv posted:

Now do you mean 'enforced' or do you mean 'abused'?

I get the feeling that's the point. And after a few minutes of cursory research, it seems that the people that "hold" the copyrights are still fighting over who owns what, so best to avoid that kind of mess altogether.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, fair enough. American copyright law is just a circus at this point.

And nvining, I'm not saying it has to happen, it'd just be cool. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nvining posted:

Playing LA R'Lyeh is probably the most compelling argument I can imagine against implementing eldritch madness in a video game. They're not fun to play as or against.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Orv posted:

And nvining, I'm not saying it has to happen, it'd just be cool. :)

I'll say it.

That has got to happen, 100%, or I will start a kitten murder spree.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

From what I remember from my law schools copyright class, the entire history of American copyright as been one of powerful media conglomerates lobbying Congress for greater and greater protection. At our founding copyright was something like 14 years with the option for of a single 14 year renewal. The major justification is that America needs to keep its copyright laws on par with the rest of the world to better protect our authors (Disney Corporation). Congress tried to make copyrights never expire but thankfully our constitution specifically says they should be for a limited time. On the upside we at least have Mr. Rogers to thank for the extremely liberal Fair Use doctrine.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
When is the next update on the state of the game? Cant wait to see more of it.

nvining
May 30, 2011

DrHub posted:

When is the next update on the state of the game? Cant wait to see more of it.

Next week. This week you just get pictures of us moving office. AGAIN.

EDIT: See where the madness happens here: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/11/28/gaslamp-office-move-day/

nvining fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 28, 2012

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

How many of you are there now?
Also nice lasers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing LA R'Lyeh is probably the most compelling argument I can imagine against implementing eldritch madness in a video game. They're not fun to play as or against.

You watch your mouth, boy. I love playing LA R'Lyeh.

nvining
May 30, 2011

omeg posted:

How many of you are there now?
Also nice lasers.

We have about fourteen people who are "Gaslampers", although it's a mix of full and part-time employees and contractors.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

nvining posted:

Hah. No.

Because the Lovecraft estate - or at least, very large parts of it - is not technically speaking public domain, and because it's so confused, nobody is sure which parts of it are public domain and which parts of it aren't. Good old H.P. was too concerned about his fevered eldritch visions to bother doing paperwork, you see, and that Derleth guy who was involved with the rights at one point didn't make things much better.

Ergo, we can't actually have anything which is a strict call-out to Cthulhu, the Mythos, R'lyeh, etc. Normally, if it was just us, we would take it, but some portion of our funding comes from the Government of Canada, and they (being Canadian) are Justly Concerned about this sort of thing.

So you just get to have Invisible Geometers instead, and mind-polyps, and C'thonian Torbs, etc...

Frankly, when you're making your own original setting, I don't need to see explicit references to another fictional setting. So keeping the general feel but adding your own Gaslamp twist is perfectly fine with me.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blog: skin tones, and an interview with everybody other than me. (I was late that day.)

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/12/05/all-the-peoples-and-an-interview/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Those certainly are some... eyebrows. Yeesh.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#Gaslamp has no conception of what normal sized eyebrows look like anymore#

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

quote:

In other news, the Evening Of Indie Game Development Anecdotes And Smooth Jazz Jam Session With Nicholas Vining has been indefinitely delayed due to a series of rapidly escalating misunderstandings surrounding the use of ghost pirates.

I don't know what this is but I'm already sad to see it go. :(

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
Experimental Optometrists are working day and night to increase eyebrow fluffiness and width. The nobles demand it! No more arsenic- and lead-based facial powders anymore, eyebrows are the TRUE sign of purity!

nvining
May 30, 2011

quote:

In other news, the Evening Of Indie Game Development Anecdotes And Smooth Jazz Jam Session With Nicholas Vining has been indefinitely delayed due to a series of rapidly escalating misunderstandings surrounding the use of ghost pirates.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I don't know what this is but I'm already sad to see it go. :(

I tell stories, play a little piano, maybe some special guests join us for a few of their favourite musical numbers as the night wears on. It's an intimate evening of smooth jazz and grooves at your favourite club, with the feel of a close evening with very personal friends and a master storyteller.

Tickets are available at all fine locations.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
Those faces look nice, digging the stylized look, though the full impression will depend on the overall atmosphere which can't really be conveyed here.

Oh, I mean, DEM EYBROWS111!!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

New design post, this time about flora and biomes in general!
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/12/12/flora/

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
And now... No. 1... The Larch.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've always enjoyed larches.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Let's talk about dynamic music!

It even has some samples for you to listen at.
I'm really looking forward to it because we have the same person doing the music than we did in Dredmor and I'm personally a big fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Daynab posted:

Let's talk about dynamic music!

It even has some samples for you to listen at.
I'm really looking forward to it because we have the same person doing the music than we did in Dredmor and I'm personally a big fan.

That's awesome. I adored the music in Dredmor.

• Locked thread