Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Shosuro posted:

You need to have 1 HQ and 2 Troops from your main army, as usual.

You can then add, from the allied army: 1-2 HQ, 1-2 Troops, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast Attack, and 0-1 Heavy Support.

There is, for CSM/Daemons, no restriction on what units you can use, only that you can't lead units with characters that have different Marks.

Allied army must have one HQ, not one or two.

Here is the Force Orginazation Chart from the rulebook:

Primary detachment shows what is required in black and optional stuff in grey. Then the optional detachments below have their minimum requirements in black as well.

PierreTheMime posted:

Specific to Daemons and Chaos Space Marine models with Marks of certain gods, certain units cannot mix with certain Independent Characters based on the god they associate with.
And this is wrong, demons can't have mortals join their units. I guess they really hate mortals, even if they are showing the right colors.

Chaos Daemons 6th Edition FAQ 1.2 posted:

Page 27 – Daemonic Rivalry.
The second paragraph should be changed to: “Independent
characters in this list cannot join units of Daemons belonging
to a different Chaos God, units of Furies of Chaos, or any allied
units
. Equally, allied independent characters may never join
units chosen from Codex: Chaos Daemons”

My :goonsay: is on tonight!

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

SRM posted:

I ripped my style off from a guy on Dakka, so that's fine by me! The thing is, he doesn't do his reports like this anymore, so I'm pretty much the only guy doing it. Don't worry about a sea of unpainted stuff; you can probably tell that a lot of the army I was facing last night are unpainted or only primed. Just be prepared to spend about an extra hour on the game itself since you're scribbling notes, getting pictures, and so on.

If you've seen my other reports, you know I usually lump in tons of fluff in them. I was just writing this thing at like 1:30 this morning so my head wasn't really in it!

I have seen plenty of the others, I love the style. I can totally identify with not having your head fully into the writing at that time, I've been trying to crank out a term paper over the past few days and I've suffered the same thing.

e: And I think fluffing your games or batreps a bit can be fun. I recall one time where I was playing a game with my Ultramarines (with Lysander, for shits and giggles) against a friend's IG, and for laughs we were trying to come up with a reason why they'd be fighting each other. Eventually we decided that someone had stolen his Lord Commissar's coffee and he was out for BLOOD. :commissar:

Good times.

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 28, 2012

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Got a tournament coming up on Saturday. I'm dropping the character+50 man blob concept for my more traditional mechanized force. I still want to bring some marine allies for my IG force because I think forward disembarking melta marines are better at that role then vets. I played this last night and pretty much steamrolled a foot-ish BA player, but I tend to beat him anyway. :v:

1850 IG+SM
Company Command Squad, 4 plasma, astropath and officer of the fleet, chimera
Vets, 3 plasma, chimera
Platoon Command Squad
Infantry squad, flamer
Infantry squad, flamer
Manticore
Russ
2 vendettas
Morbo
Master of the Forge w/conversion beamer
2 10 man tac squads, Rhino, Melta, Multi melta, combi melta
Vindicator

The Master of the Forge uses the PCS as bullet shields and the infantry squads go in vendettas. The rhinos rush up 18 inches and be blocking terrain as the chimeras+vindicator advance behind them. The MotF, manticore, and russ blow poo poo up and Morbo drops a demo charge on a cluster of something useful.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 28, 2012

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

I ripped my style off from a guy on Dakka, so that's fine by me! The thing is, he doesn't do his reports like this anymore, so I'm pretty much the only guy doing it. Don't worry about a sea of unpainted stuff; you can probably tell that a lot of the army I was facing last night are unpainted or only primed. Just be prepared to spend about an extra hour on the game itself since you're scribbling notes, getting pictures, and so on.

If you've seen my other reports, you know I usually lump in tons of fluff in them. I was just writing this thing at like 1:30 this morning so my head wasn't really in it!

I mention your reports in our next episode SRM.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

I mention your reports in our next episode SRM.
:woop::woop:
Can't wait to hear it!

I'm playing XCOM right now, and it strikes me how if GW could get the licensing to make a Necromunda game out of the same engine, I would probably never need another strategy game again.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

SRM posted:

Can't wait to hear it!

I'm playing XCOM right now, and it strikes me how if GW could get the licensing to make a Necromunda game out of the same engine, I would probably never need another strategy game again.

X-Com has surprisingly similar movement/combat rules to Warmachine.
I'd kill for a solid necromunda or mordheim videogame though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so pre-heresy iron warriors:

Legion Praetor, Cataphractii Terminator, Paragon blade, Rites of War: Armoured Spearhead, grenade harness (165)

Legion Terminator Squad, 5 additionals, 2x Heavy Flamer (345)
Legion Spartan Assault Tank, heavy flamer, multi-melta (315)

Legion Tactical Squad (150)
Rhino (35)

Legion Tactical Squad (150)
Rhino (35)

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron, 3x Medusa (465)

Legion Predator Strike Armour Squadron, 2x Predators (150)

Legion Predator Strike Armour Squadron, 2x Predators (150)

40 points leftover to give power fists to the terminators, I guess. Heresy-era predators are so much better (their autocannon is Heavy 4).

e: Too bad I can't fit ceramite and flash shielding on the Spartan.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 28, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

Manifest posted:

X-Com has surprisingly similar movement/combat rules to Warmachine.
I'd kill for a solid necromunda or mordheim videogame though.
You made me want an Infinity XCom mod... again.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SRM posted:

Can't wait to hear it!

Have you played the multiplayer yet? It's basically Necromunda/40k skimirsh. Really intense. Just a constant game of trying to outguess, outflank your opponent. Played against a friend where I was down to a single Assault soldier with skeleton armor, and it was just a Predator style last stand where I was constantly dropping down from rooftops to shotgun his troops, and then zipping away into the night.

Then he cornered and mind-controlled me...

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Pierzak posted:

You made me want an Infinity XCom mod... again.

It TOTALLY reminded me of infinity!
I would go for an infinity x-com mod. Or x-com models for infinity.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Noooo guy get off that tank, that's dangerous

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I beat X-Com and haven't touched it since I liked Mars better than the Temple Ship, but now you guys are making me want to play again. Have there been any mods for it yet? Necromunda/Infinity would blend quite nicely with the engine.

And a non-derail question: The 5th ed battle wagon loadout was typically a barebones with Deffrolla and BS. What's a good loadout for 6th? Just load it up with a ton of guns and use it as a mobile bunker? Finally getting all my bikers done up and a few wagons for support was the base idea behind the list. Now to finish that second bike-boss...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

nuncle jimbo posted:

Noooo guy get off that tank, that's dangerous

No I like it up here it's very warm by the fire/magazine/fuel tank

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just finished putting this together.

2 sets of rotors and rotor heads from some random repair kit, and a piece of aluminum stock to keep it all together. The blades even rotate, which makes me want to gut my RC chinook and stuff the innards into the crew compartment and make an actual flying Valkyrie. :getin:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

thiswayliesmadness posted:

rail question: The 5th ed battle wagon loadout was typically a barebones with Deffrolla and BS. What's a good loadout for 6th?

Keep it cheap. Vehicles are easier to kill now so the dethrolla is a waste. Stick to a ram and a bigshoota or two. I run mine with just the ram and BS. 100pts, nice and easy. Most do not live long enough after I dump the contents to bother spending any more on.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Icon Of Sin posted:

2 sets of rotors and rotor heads from some random repair kit, and a piece of aluminum stock to keep it all together. The blades even rotate, which makes me want to gut my RC chinook and stuff the innards into the crew compartment and make an actual flying Valkyrie. :getin:

Sweet. I've always wanted to stick an arduino in a monolith and make it control some crazy gears/lights/smoke machine/whatever.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

What's a good [battlewagon] loadout for 6th? Just load it up with a ton of guns and use it as a mobile bunker? Finally getting all my bikers done up and a few wagons for support was the base idea behind the list. Now to finish that second bike-boss...
Alternatively to Raphus C's commnet, if you want it for fire support you can load it up. Four big shootas, ~4 S5 hits a turn, and you can put your 9-15 lootas in there and safely threaten their back lines.

Basically it's a higher armored predator that has a transport capacity for 110pts.

I always used my battlewagon as midfield bunker with 20 shootaboys and a kannon, for 5pts over a big shoota it added a lot of versatility.

Since you got nob bikers as your assault delivery either is a workable option. Depends on what else you are bringing.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
My basic idea is to have Wazdakka, a bike boss, chunk of bikers (including nobz), with some armor support to take on things I don't want to risk bike PKing into. So which out of these two should be my new 6th ed list (or how should I change them up):

List 1: The wagon trio - 2k points

HQ

Wazdakka - 180 pts

Warboss w/ cybork, bike, PK, squig - 150 pts

Troops

8 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 240 pts

4 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 140 pts

4 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 140 pts

5 Nob Bikers, Cybork, 2 BC, 1 PK, 1 BP, Painboy w/ orderly - 325 pts

Elite

5 Lootas

5 Lootas

10 Tankbustas, 1 hammer, 2 squiqs, Nob w/ PK, BP - 200 pts

Fast

2 Rokkit Buggies - 70 pts

Heavy

Battlewagon w/ Ram, Kannon (Tankbustas) - 105 pts

Battlewagon w/ Ram, 4 BS (lootas) - 75 pts

Battlewagon w/ Ram, 4 BS (lootas) - 75 pts

List 2: The Dakka Double Down - 2k points

HQ

Wazdakka Gutsmek - 180 pts

Warboss w/ bike, cybork, PK, squig - 150 pts

Troops

8 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 240

7 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 215

7 Warbikers, Nob w/ PK, BP - 215

7 Biker Nobz w/ Cybork, Waaagh Banner, 2 PK, 2 BC, Painboy - 460 pts

Elite

5 Lootas - 75 pts

5 Lootas - 75 pts

Fast

Heavy

Battlewagon w/ Ram, Kannon, 4 BS - 125 pts

Battlewagon w/ Ram, Kannon, 4 BS - 125 pts

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LordAba posted:

Sweet. I've always wanted to stick an arduino in a monolith and make it control some crazy gears/lights/smoke machine/whatever.

One of the rotors on my chinook is trashed from flying it into a bunker, leaving the front rotor (2 contra-rotating blades, which I'm pretty sure controls the torque/anti-torque on this particular model) free to be salvaged and kit bashed. Jesus Christ this could get ugly real quick :stare: If I somehow manage to make it work, I want a house rule that says I can fly it on to the table in lieu of deep striking it (a deep strike at full scatter would be more accurate than my flying :v: )

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone have any advice for my 1000 point Sisters list?

(HQ)
Jacobson Attack Squad - 260 Pts
-Uriah Jacobson - 90 Pts
-4 Crusaders - 60 Pts
-5 Death Cult Assassins - 75 Pts
-Rhino - 35 Pts

(Troops)
Battle Sisters - 125 pts

Battle Sisters - 125 pts

(Fast Attack)
Seraphim Squad - 145 pts
-Base - 80 Pts
-2xInferno Pistol Sisters - 60 Pts
-Melta Bombs - 5pts

(Heavy Support)
Retributor Squad - 210 Pts
-Base - 65 Pts
-Simalcrum Imperialis - 20 Pts
-3x Heavy Flamer - 60 Pts
-Immolator - 65 Pts

Exorcist - 135 Pts

I've been quibbling about giving my Retributors Heavy Bolters instead, but I'm a bit wary of them being negated by too many cover saves.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Anyone have any advice for my 1000 point Sisters list?

*snip*

I've been quibbling about giving my Retributors Heavy Bolters instead, but I'm a bit wary of them being negated by too many cover saves.
I really like the Retributor Heavy Bolter squads- they throw out a ton of shots and can scare most things in the game pretty reliably; being in cover doesn't help Marines much at all, since most of your damage is coming from just forcing them to make tons of saves.

The Uriah Deathbomb squad is a lot less frightening this edition since you have to disembark and sit outside your tank for a turn before assaulting. Celestine is something of the go-to HQ these days and she does make a nice accompaniment for your Seraphim. (Uriah still isn't bad, though, he's just less of a "you must use me" unit than he was before.)

I'd feel kinda iffy about spending that much on a small squad of Seraphim, since it doesn't take many casualties for your expensive, expensive Inferno Pistols to get knocked off. Adding a couple ablative bodies along with Celestine could help a lot with that.

You really want your Battle Sisters able to contribute something to the fight, so I would strongly suggest giving them some special/heavy weapons. Melta/Multimelta seems like the default, but Flamer/MM seems pretty fine as well.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Get-Out posted:

Rending heavy bolters are great. With the general reduction of cover saves, they still have their place! Plus rending puts you in the AV12-14 range, making them pretty good at handling lighter transports.
The thing I hate about people complaining about cover (either when shooting or lack-of-grenades assault) is the fact that it's pretty easy to control: just place an objective in no mans land and cover it.

I agree with AbusePuppy about Saint Celestine over Uriah at this level. She adds so much to Seraphim (high initiative to hit and run), and it will save you points. This will let you move your transports over to the scoring troops, letting you move faster and giving them protection. Personally I like giving the Seraphim hand flamers (for overwatch, and the rerolling wounds faith power), but the melta pistols could work. Hopefully this will get you some points to stick extra bodies in the seraphim squad, or give your sisters special weapons/combi-weapons. My general layout for sister squads is melta/combi-melta/heavy flamer, though just about any combo could work (flamer/combi-flamer, melta/MM, etc).

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I have around a 2k Dark Eldar army and I'm thinking about getting some Eldar. Basically I'm trading a Cryx army for a 40k army and one of the options is Eldar. However, I'm not sure what I should get / aim for. Any general advice on what units I'd want to make sure I have in order to pair well with Dark Eldar, or possibly form a solid basis for an all-Eldar army? Any advice would be much appreciated, I haven't looked at Eldar much since the 4th ed rules were in place!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I got Eldar allies a few months ago to buff up the firepower for my DE, this is what I got:
Wave Serpent
10 Dire Avengers
Farseer (lucked out and got a resin Eldrad)
Rangers (found 5 resin models from the same seller as Eldrad)
3 Warwalkers

These have served me very well indeed!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fitret posted:

I have around a 2k Dark Eldar army and I'm thinking about getting some Eldar. Basically I'm trading a Cryx army for a 40k army and one of the options is Eldar. However, I'm not sure what I should get / aim for. Any general advice on what units I'd want to make sure I have in order to pair well with Dark Eldar, or possibly form a solid basis for an all-Eldar army? Any advice would be much appreciated, I haven't looked at Eldar much since the 4th ed rules were in place!

A Farseer babysitting some Dark Reapers is always a good combo. Harlequins are good for a counter-charge unit, or for backfield support when you get outflanked/have some units deepstrike in your own deployment zone. Dire Avengers aren't bad as troop choices go, but I think I preferred running Rangers/Pathfinders (AP1 Precision Shots? Yes please). You can go long-range shooting (Reapers, Rangers, Wraithlords, Fire Prisms), short range shooting (Dire Avengers, Fire Dragons, Warp Spiders, Wraithguard) or have a unit of close combat monsters in the Harlequins, with Banshees, Striking Scorpions, and Shining Spears for backup. Not to mention that if you bring out an Avatar every Eldar unit within 12" is automatically fearless, and the Farseer's passive screw on everyone else's psykers with the Runes of Warding (all psychic tests are on 3d6, add them together and perils on 12+). Just keep in mind that each Aspect is made to fit a certain role or context, and straying outside of that can lead to your poo poo getting wrecked in a hurry. DE tend to lack ranged firepower (while being horrendously effective at short range), so I tended to run Pathfinders with Dark Reaper backup for my Raiders and Venoms, although my Fire Prism was also a fun choice to bring.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

AbusePuppy posted:

Good stuff.

LordAba posted:

Also good stuff.

Thanks for the advice! Thanks to taking out Uriah and switching the Retributors to Heavy Bolters, I can afford to get some more Seraphim, put the two Sisters squads in Rhinos, and get them some special weapons. Definitely seems more rounded out this way.

Unfortunately, Jacobson seemed like such a good choice that I already ordered the entire setup. I've been looking for an excuse to own/paint some Crusaders anyways :ohdear:

Side note, would it be stupid to give the Immolator Inferno Bolters? I have the Immolator sans-turret from my old collection and it seems to be way cheaper to just source a Razorback Bolter turret rather than an Immolator turret.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Side note, would it be stupid to give the Immolator Inferno Bolters? I have the Immolator sans-turret from my old collection and it seems to be way cheaper to just source a Razorback Bolter turret rather than an Immolator turret.

It's probably worth it, rerolling hits and wounds makes the HB ok and you will likely get to shoot it just about every phase.
A TL-MM is always a TL-MM but it's best for flanking Dominion squads.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 29, 2012

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alright, I'm gonna' start an Imperial Guard army. I'm probably gonna get the Cadian Battle force to start with. I'm not really sure of the strategies behind them, i need to know what to get beyond the standard troops. Whats worth upgrading and what not.
Any pointers?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Fitret posted:

Unfortunately Eldar as a standalone are sitting in a pretty bad place these days. They do have some good choices (Fire Dragons, War Walkers, Harlequins, Farseers) but they sorta lack the tools to build a well-rounded army.

Bringing them as an ally force is a lot more doable, especially for Dark Eldar. I prefer Guardian Jetbikes as a troop choice, as they are fairly tough (T4/3+) and very mobile as well as bringing a S6 gun to the party. They're great for feinting towards several different objectives in the final turns. A Farseer, especially on a Jetbike, is a wonderful buy and brings the best psychic defense in the game as well as three excellent sets of psychic powers to choose from (Eldar powers for Fortune/Doom, Divination, Telepathy.) War Walkers and Support Weapons can also be useful, as they bring some of the high-RoF or low-AP guns that DE don't have as much access to.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Unfortunately, Jacobson seemed like such a good choice that I already ordered the entire setup. I've been looking for an excuse to own/paint some Crusaders anyways :ohdear:

Don't feel too bad about Uriah- he's still a perfectly fine guy once you get to 1500 or so and can afford to be considering a second HQ and he's an absolute beast when attached to a big squad of Imperial Guardsmen. Celestine + Uriah + Guardsmen is something that very, very few units in the game want to come anywhere near. The DCA/Crusaders are also quite usable if you're looking to have a countercharge element in a mechanized army.

I don't like the Bolter turret option on the Immolator. It's not atrocious or anything, it just feels kinda weak when you can get HBs so many other places in the list. If you have some Marine- or Guard-playing friends you might see if you can bum a couple of Multimeltas off of them- the Devastator box and Leman Russ kit both come with some and are only rarely used.

Hihohe posted:

Alright, I'm gonna' start an Imperial Guard army. I'm probably gonna get the Cadian Battle force to start with. I'm not really sure of the strategies behind them, i need to know what to get beyond the standard troops. Whats worth upgrading and what not.
Any pointers?
Guard are a pretty flexible army with a lot of good choices, so it more comes down to what sort of units you want to use. You like infantry? Guard have those. You like tanks, big or little? Guard do that, too. Airplanes, artillery, snipers, weird little walking gun turrets? Check, check, check, and check.

If you're just starting out, the Battleforce gives you a very useable set of models, but unfortunately doesn't really put you anywhere near having even a minimum-sized army. You'll want to make some decisions- how heavy of a mechanized force do you want? Pretty much every squad is capable of taking a transport, but this can get expensive very quickly (both points-wise and dollar-wise.) I'm a big advocate of taking a mix of Infantry Platoons mostly on foot and 1-3 Veteran Squads in Chimeras- this gives you some good, flexible units and the presence of Veterans eats up some points (and thus cuts down on the money cost of things a bit.) Bringing a character HQ (Primaris Psyker or Lord Commissar) is also an option and can be a bit money-cheaper for those looking to enter the game, and both of them are quite strong choices in many ways, so you're not shooting yourself in the foot to do so.

Depending on what kind of army you like the looks of we can give you more advice on things, but the truth is that outside of the Elite slot there are very, very few "bad" units in the IG codex, so it really comes down to a matter of choice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Question for the thread: what's the best way to handle more than 2 armies in the same battle? Are there any guidelines in rulebooks like Apocalypse, etc., of how to handle this? What we've done previously with 3 players is everyone rolls, highest roll picks whether they want to deploy and move first, and the decision goes down the roll order from there.

I've set up a holiday-themed game sometime in the next couple of weeks, it'll be the 5 guys in the group all battling each other, but it's going to take ages without someone pushing for quick decisions and rolls, etc. With 3 it's slow enough already.
I wonder if having two of the players that are at opposite ends of the table move and fire at the same time would be any quicker?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no rules for more than two sides, with multiple players per side, I don't believe.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Question for the thread: what's the best way to handle more than 2 armies in the same battle? Are there any guidelines in rulebooks like Apocalypse, etc., of how to handle this? What we've done previously with 3 players is everyone rolls, highest roll picks whether they want to deploy and move first, and the decision goes down the roll order from there.

I've set up a holiday-themed game sometime in the next couple of weeks, it'll be the 5 guys in the group all battling each other, but it's going to take ages without someone pushing for quick decisions and rolls, etc. With 3 it's slow enough already.
I wonder if having two of the players that are at opposite ends of the table move and fire at the same time would be any quicker?

I think I remember a 3-player scenario in the 5th edition rulebook. Something about a meeting gone wrong between the different leaders. It might have had a weird turn order to it too. Or I could just be making this up.

5 players each with their own side is going to be much more complicated and I'm not sure how they'd deploy. You might be able to adapt the scenario I mentioned. I'd definitely keep armies small, maybe with 40k in 40 minutes rules? Are those still a thing?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

krushgroove posted:

This number of players simply won't be feasible in a larger game without special rules to balance deployment and the amount of models on the table. Player turns take ages already with two, so more than doubling that is going to guarantee a day-long event for a single game even at 1500-2000pt levels.

My recommendation is to generate a special scenario for this type of thing as the normal rules won't handle it well. I'd probably recommend some variant of Planetstrike, with objects and special traits for each army selected before hand and then balanced with Reserve deployment and/or random unit loss from environmental damage. I can cook something up for you if you want.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have printed off the rules for 40K in 40 minutes but I haven't read them. With 3 players we did 1000 points each, with 5 we might have to do 750 or 800. I think we'd be a bit lucky to do a 6-turn game inside of 7 hours, so it'll be something we'd take a half-day for.

This 5-way battle is just something for holiday fun, I'll have Christmas lights around the edge of the table and the center objective will be a Christmas tree about 6" high (LOS-blocking, of course). We'll all be playing with our gifts we've given each other, that's part of the rules.

e:

PierreTheMime posted:

This number of players simply won't be feasible in a larger game without special rules to balance deployment and the amount of models on the table. Player turns take ages already with two, so more than doubling that is going to guarantee a day-long event for a single game even at 1500-2000pt levels.

My recommendation is to generate a special scenario for this type of thing as the normal rules won't handle it well. I'd probably recommend some variant of Planetstrike, with objects and special traits for each army selected before hand and then balanced with Reserve deployment and/or random unit loss from environmental damage. I can cook something up for you if you want.

Yes please! So far I'm thinking using the tiny Christmas tree as the Loot Pile center objective, with only 1 loot token appearing for each army (so each army only gets 1 token unless they steal it from another army). Then I was thinking we'd use the standard kill point rules, plus the standard secondary objectives (first blood, etc.). We've already all agreed on some randomized rules (click here) so these might serve as the environmental damage rules - we mainly need a workable point cost (preferably 1000+ points) and don't mind that it will be an all-day thing. The hardest thing is getting the deployment setup down, I was even thinking I could cut up some cardboard boxes as barriers so we all deploy together, but hidden from view of the other players.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

krushgroove posted:

This 5-way battle is just something for holiday fun, I'll have Christmas lights around the edge of the table and the center objective will be a Christmas tree about 6" high (LOS-blocking, of course). We'll all be playing with our gifts we've given each other, that's part of the rules.

Abaddon the Despoiler's heart grew two sizes that day to pump more blood for his muscles to smite the fools who would oppose the will of the Ruinous Powers. :3:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha - I'm getting Typhus as my present so I kind of have to play my CSM, I'm just hoping I don't get slaughtered since I haven't had have any games with them yet!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Here's my six step plan for multiplayer games: it's worked well so far at my LGS.

1. Put a ten minute limit on total deployment and 15 minute movement-shooting-combat limits for each player; the first turn should therefore be done in ~40 minutes (give people a time limit and they play quicker)

2. Play king of the hill for a nice bit of area terrain - a large flat topped bunker for example. Might be worth making a house rule that units can't deepstrike onto it (if you played with a skyshield pad, for example)

3. Play 1000 points (or 1500), anything bigger gets unfeasible.

4. Rotate turn orders; put counters in a mug and have a neutral player pull them for turn orders; just make sure noone gets two turns in a row. This speeds up play and ends up being more fun for everyone rather than having players phase out because their turn wont be for an hour.

5. Allow reserves to come in from any table edge - really keeps people thinking and encourages forward movement, makes the game a)quicker and b)more exciting/bloodthirsty

6. Make sure your deployment areas are equal - with four players this isnt so bad as everyone gets a corner, with more it becomes tricky so experiment with moving people around the table. With five, some people can easily end up very close with another two further away - this makes the game less fun for everyone as some armies will have a distinct advantage, so be creative.

Simple, easy, effective.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks lenoon - I was already thinking of some of these, a time limit would certainly help things along!

RE: king of the hill - I've got some foam I'm going to be cutting into big hill shapes, so putting the center objective there would be great and allow more room for Christmas lights!

1000 pts, we used that in the last game, most of our guys are MEQ players and this gives them plenty of choices so it's probably what we'll stick with

turn orders - I was just thinking of doing a round-robin order, so with hidden deployment everyone does a roll-off, no choosing to go last or whatever, you just go. In the second turn, the second player goes first, and so on.

Reserves - I think we'd probably end up with reserves from from any table edge sounds good!

deployment - I was thinking I would set up the corners and the centers of the sides as 18" x 6" deployment zones, with a roll-off deciding who picks first (after setting up terrain). The corner players can decide which way the deployment zone is laid out - either along the short edge of the table or along the long edge.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

lenoon posted:

Suggestions

This sounds good, as well as using Loot Pile rules for a Christmas tree in the center. Might I also suggest:

Winter Wonderland
All cover saves are improved by +1 due to the thick blanket of powdery snow covering the battlefield. Weapons that utilize flame, such as flamers and plasmaguns, deny the Winter Wonderland bonus.

Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
Any non-vehicle unit may elect to voluntarily expend their actions on their players turn to gather enough snow to build an army of oddly misshapen but still strangely loveable snowmen. Immediately place a 5" large template underneath the unit to represent the army of deranged snow goons. That unit may react normally on opposing player turns and act as normal on their next turn. Ducking behind the snowmen, models in this area count as being in cover. Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goon templates do not count as difficult terrain.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Bahahaha! I love the building snowmen option! I doubt anyone will take it, but it'll be fantastic to throw it in as something legal!

Now I'm wondering if I should get a sheet of white felt for the table...actually I think I have a plain white bedsheet big enough.

I think we've got some rules here, gents. Many thanks!

• Locked thread