Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

uncleKitchener posted:

Would it be beneficial to add this to my portfolio?
Yes, of course. I don't know why you would think that potential employers wouldn't be interested in you learning a new language, API, doing UI and gameplay code, getting in to AI programming, and learning some Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

GetWellGamers posted:

I'm pretty hooked into that sphere, though more on the medical side of things for obvious reasons. What's up?
I start a new job at a serious games shop on Monday. It's not exactly my dream job but it's a massive step up in terms of pay and working with big name clients.

Just want to know if I'm still technically part of the club :)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

So that's you both leaving / trying to leave - Something going down at DNA?

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
What exactly is a "serious game"?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Serious Games are games whose aim includes having a real-world impact on things, whether it's advocacy of things like clean air, bringing awareness to an event or policy like Rwandan genocide, or trying to alter behaviors in beneficial ways like a game about keeping sugar levels consistent for diabetics or stop-smoking games.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Tim Schafer favorited one of my tweets. :allears:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
e: disregard

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 28, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FreakyZoid posted:

So that's you both leaving / trying to leave - Something going down at DNA?
People move on, man. I'm getting back with some old colleagues I used to work with. DNA released a game on iOS just last week!

vvv Congratulations!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 28, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well thank loving christ, finally got in at a place in LA. Not exactly dead-on my career track, but it's a job in the industry and I've got a really good friend who works there already. :unsmith::hf::toot:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

GetWellGamers posted:

Serious Games are games whose aim includes having a real-world impact on things, whether it's advocacy of things like clean air, bringing awareness to an event or policy like Rwandan genocide, or trying to alter behaviors in beneficial ways like a game about keeping sugar levels consistent for diabetics or stop-smoking games.
That's definitely the kind of thing it can entail but it's not always so lofty. It could be virtualising a space or edutainment about some internal policy or training at some company, or an interactive display in a museum. Of course it's often couched in worthy applications to get people on board with the technology!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Well thank loving christ, finally got in at a place in LA. Not exactly dead-on my career track, but it's a job in the industry and I've got a really good friend who works there already. :unsmith::hf::toot:

Awesome to hear!
Anyone going up to Game Monetization USA next week? I'll be there all week for meetings.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
There's a good article on the PA-Report about some of the perils of mobile development: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/how-making-a-quality-game-killed-a-developers-dreams-and-shut-down-his-stud

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

That's not a good article, that's a whiny fool.

This largely stems from their misunderstanding of how money is generated in the app store. For their first game, offering level packs / additional content is one of the worst ways to monetize since users who hit your pay-point are going to be a very small percentage of your population. Given that only a small number of those will convert, their potential funnel was abysmal. Then with their second title, they decided to ignore lessons from financially successful games and "do what's right" and go with a single pay-once strategy and hope to hit it big.

This doesn't even touch the more subjective parts (their screenshots are all dark, the hard sci-fi theme, the bizarre copy in the app description, the fact that runners generally don't make money, etc). While I'm all for being true to myself and principles, if it's a business, it has to be run like one. Especially in places like the App Store, you can't ignore the learnings of people that came before you.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

devilmouse posted:

This largely stems from their misunderstanding of how money is generated in the app store. For their first game, offering level packs / additional content is one of the worst ways to monetize since users who hit your pay-point are going to be a very small percentage of your population. Given that only a small number of those will convert, their potential funnel was abysmal. Then with their second title, they decided to ignore lessons from financially successful games and "do what's right" and go with a single pay-once strategy and hope to hit it big.

This doesn't even touch the more subjective parts (their screenshots are all dark, the hard sci-fi theme, the bizarre copy in the app description, the fact that runners generally don't make money, etc). While I'm all for being true to myself and principles, if it's a business, it has to be run like one. Especially in places like the App Store, you can't ignore the learnings of people that came before you.

I do like guys like that though, I can learn from mistakes without having to actually make them.
The more other people screw up and talk about it, the better I get.
(I was wincing when I read how they did the iAP and how they wanted to do the second title, ouch)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

Eh, it's still interesting.

... but yes, there was a lot they could have done differently. I'd say ignoring the lessons of their previous game and going fixed price was the single most important fub they made. The rest, they could have floated - but without F2P, reviews and press do jack poo poo. People see your game, look it up, "oh it isn't free", bam.

(Says the person making a F2P runner)

EDIT: oh, there are plenty of builds, just none that have been pushed since you accepted :P

I fell down the rabbit hole of options menu. I started just making a volume slider, but when I looked up, I'd added a credits page with auto-scrolling pane, roughed in input styles, contact forms, social ties, and more. But it's done now, and a build goes out tonight.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 28, 2012

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Shalinor posted:

(Says the person making a F2P runner)

(Who has still yet to push out a build on testflight....)

edit: Feature creeped options menus ohno!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 28, 2012

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

whatchu doin' bro? Congrats!

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Tim Schafer favorited one of my tweets. :allears:

I intermittently watched the Brazen stream on Giantbomb, and their Amnesia Fortnight thing and plan to stream everything really impressed me. Every studio should follow their lead.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

devilmouse posted:

I dunno, I always find reading articles about why people didn't succeed can teach a lot of lessons. Plus it was a good read.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Well gently caress. THQ is doing an awesome humble bundle now with games like Saints Row 3rd, Metro 2033, Darksiders, and Company of Heroes, and I check my facebook and what do I see? Well a friend that works at another game company linking it and saying to make sure not to give THQ any money. I am pissed because he should know better, he works on games. What is up with the hate to not care about the people who make the games. I mean there are really bad articles on Penny Arcade Report and Ars Technica about it but this just makes me mad.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I am conflicted about the bundle as well, but I already have all the games I want from that bundle.

It doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of the Humble Bundle, but it's not like it will prevent great indie bundles from appearing in the future as well. Then again, using the Humble Bundle to pay a publisher isn't the same as giving money directly to the developers, which I kind of thought was the whole point.

Also, they removed the EFF from the charities, which makes me sad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

endlosnull posted:

I mean there are really bad articles on Penny Arcade Report and Ars Technica about it

I appear to have stumbled on some bizarro Internet, where the comments on an article are actually more sensible than the article itself.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Leave it to Games Journalism to get all holier than thou about a way to buy games and funnel cash into a charity in any percentage you choose.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Resource posted:

I am conflicted about the bundle as well, but I already have all the games I want from that bundle.

It doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of the Humble Bundle, but it's not like it will prevent great indie bundles from appearing in the future as well. Then again, using the Humble Bundle to pay a publisher isn't the same as giving money directly to the developers, which I kind of thought was the whole point.

Also, they removed the EFF from the charities, which makes me sad.

I can see why it wouldn't be against the concept of the humble bundle to have a Humble Big-Name Publisher Bundle for some charities. You better believe that I'm sliding that THQ share way down, though, a 20% charity cut is way too low for what this is supposed to be.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
With the exception of metro 2033 all of those titles are publisher-owned studio games, for what that is worth.

I laughed at the high contributor earlier named "red faction gorilla 2" though.

I'm right there with you (and a dictionary) brother.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Man, I would totally play Red Faction Gorilla. At least that's a protagonist they couldn't replace with a balding white dude. Kinda makes sense, too. Gorilla.bas was a scorched earth ripoff where you tunneled into the ground. This would be that, just in 3D.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

30.5 Days posted:

I can see why it wouldn't be against the concept of the humble bundle to have a Humble Big-Name Publisher Bundle for some charities. You better believe that I'm sliding that THQ share way down, though, a 20% charity cut is way too low for what this is supposed to be.

Humble Bundle, Inc., incorporated in March 2011, is a for-profit corporation that received $4.7M of venture capital from Sequoia Capital in April 2011. Humble Bundle employs around 10 people. Jeff Rosen and John Graham run the company. According to an interview with Richard Esguerra, former business developer at Humble Bundle (who now works in fundraising at the EFF), pay what you want and charity bundles are means to an end: to promote games. The "Indie" bundle is just one of their offerings. The company is "a distributor of digital games" that needs to show investors a return on their investment. I'm not sure why anyone, with this information, would think that the THQ Bundle betrays the spirit of Humble Bundle.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Adraeus posted:

The "Indie" bundle is just one of their offerings.

Well, this is a little dishonest, let's look at the centerpiece developers of their other offerings prior to now:

- Frozenbyte
- Mode 7
- Lexaloffle
- Introversion
- Mojang
- Amanita Design
- Double Fine

Surely you see a pattern. Like, you could argue that the purpose of Humble Bundle is "to make money", but you wouldn't be baffled if people got annoyed by Humble Bundle starting a chain of taquerias, despite the fact that it fits their companies goals.

Humble Bundle's pitch is that you're doing a good thing by buying the games, in that you're piping money directly to the developer with a small middleman, in that you're giving money to charity, and in that you're supporting DRM-free software. You can't have that be your pitch, and then just drop the whole "pipe money to developers" and "DRM-free software" parts, reduce the default share for the charities, and then be all surprised that people are soft-pedalling on giving their money to THQ.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I think THQ are probably feeling pretty humble right about now.

Edit:

Top Contributors:
1. Jason Rubin
$1,050.00

vvvvv I just mean this whole bankruptcy situation. I've been watching the money tick up with great interest.

I don't have a PC that can run any of those games (I have a lovely Mac Mini from 3 years ago) but I bought this bundle and paid over the average and gave it all to THQ. It was a great deal for me for when I eventually have a machine that can play the games, and anything I can do to stave off redundancies at fellow studios seems worthy. Not that I think it will realistically make any difference...

Akuma fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 30, 2012

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Akuma posted:

I think THQ are probably feeling pretty humble right about now.

Edit:

Top Contributors:
1. Jason Rubin
$1,050.00

Well, don't write them off yet, they're nearly to how much Indie Bundle 6 made already and we're a day in. So it's not like this is going to be a disaster.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

30.5 Days posted:

Well, this is a little dishonest, let's look at the centerpiece developers of their other offerings prior to now:

- Frozenbyte
- Mode 7
- Lexaloffle
- Introversion
- Mojang
- Amanita Design
- Double Fine

Surely you see a pattern.

Frozenbyte: Founded in 2001. Develops original IP; publishes via third parties.

Mode 7: Founded in 2005. Develops and publishes original IP.

Lexaloffle: Founded in 2003. Develops and publishes original IP.

Introversion Software: Founded in 2003. Develops and publishes original IP.

Mojang: Founded in 2009. Develops and publishes original IP. Also publishes third-party games.

Amanita Design: Founded in 2003. Develops and publishes original IP. Also publishes original IP in Europe through a third party.

Double Fine Productions: Founded in 2000. Develops original IP; publishes via third parties. Also publishes third-party games, namely games developed by Klint Honeychurch.

THQ: Founded in 1989. Develops and publishes original IP and third-party games. Although THQ is best known as a publisher, THQ is a developer through Relic Entertainment, Vigil Games, Volition, and THQ Montreal. The only game in the Humble THQ Bundle not developed by THQ is Metro 2033 by 4A Games.

The only substantial difference here between THQ and these other companies is scale.

EDIT: Clarifications.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 30, 2012

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Adraeus posted:

The only substantial difference here between THQ and these other companies is scale.

You heard it here first, folks: THQ is just like the developers of Frozen Synapse, only larger and less solvent.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

30.5 Days posted:

You heard it here first, folks: THQ is just like the developers of Frozen Synapse, only larger and less solvent.

Yup.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What does "first-party" in your post even mean in that context?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

About what percentage of Amanita Design's earnings from the Humble Bundle do you think was dispersed as dividends?

EDIT:

Akuma posted:

"They made games", I suppose. I guess independent record labels can't exist because sooner or later, they'll publish somebody's work and then they're just like the RIAA only smaller and with worse equipment.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 30, 2012

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

30.5 Days posted:

Their credit is shot - it's over.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

30.5 Days posted:

"They made games", I suppose.

That's not quite what "first party" means.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pixelboy posted:

That's not quite what "first party" means.

What does it mean in the sentence "Develops first-party games that are published by third parties."?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Akuma posted:

In this context, "internally developed to be published in-house." Where games were internally developed to be published by another company, I noted so. I probably should have just said that, but I wanted to keep the bullet points short. Brevity at the expense of accuracy. Oh well!

EDIT: I changed "first-party games" to "original IP" in pursuit of clarity.

30.5 Days posted:

About what percentage of Amanita Design's earnings from the Humble Bundle do you think was dispersed as dividends?

Your original point was that past Humble Bundles were beneficial to only developers, except that you completely ignored the fact that self-publishing is publishing. "Indie" developers may not be as successful at publishing as a large enterprise like THQ, but whether a company is a good publisher has no bearing on whether a company is a publisher.

You also indicated that the other Humble Bundle companies, being known primarily as developers, were unlike THQ in every way because, to you, THQ is merely a big publisher, except that you completely ignored that THQ develops games internally.

You said "surely you see a pattern," but while you aimed to show me a pattern that has changed, the pattern is actually quite consistent.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Man, I would totally play Red Faction Gorilla. At least that's a protagonist they couldn't replace with a balding white dude. Kinda makes sense, too. Gorilla.bas was a scorched earth ripoff where you tunneled into the ground. This would be that, just in 3D.

I unironically played Gorilla.bas the other day.