Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It is incredibly lukewarm in Canada and I'm surprised someone in the gaming journalism hasn't looked into ihahaha what am I saying gaming journalism is poo poo.

Yeah, I'm wondering why this is. As far as electronics go the culture in Canada and America aren't very different. It's just not a hot item in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering why this is. As far as electronics go the culture in Canada and America aren't very different. It's just not a hot item in Canada.

This is especially odd because from what I hear it's selling very well down in the States. Maybe Canada is just in love with the Wii Mini :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

It's far from sold out in the US and seems pretty readily available here. They're wasting potential.
It's not sold out because they're actually meeting the demands for supply. They sold 400,000 in the first week which beat out the first week of sales for the 360 and PS3. It didn't match the Wii's first week of sales but the Wii also experienced an unprecedented, historic amount of launch sales, and then got stunted by supply issues. It's easy to say "It's not selling like the Wii, this is a disaster" if you don't really care about context.

The Wii U might actually be able to match the Wii's first year sales if they no longer have the supply/manufacturing problems that plagued the original. Because from what I remember, the Wii had shortages from launch all the way into the following summer, and it was not demand-related, they just had manufacturing shortages. So the Wii U doesn't even have to play catch up.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

But that's not what I said; he asked why should they advertise more seeing how the Wii U is sold out, I said it's not sold out. Yes its seems like a successful launch so far but they're wasting potential nonetheless.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Katana Gomai posted:

But that's not what I said; he asked why should they advertise more seeing how the Wii U is sold out, I said it's not sold out. Yes its seems like a successful launch so far but they're wasting potential nonetheless.

Its just how Nintendo is these days. They would rather hype their stuff only a little and let word of mouth carry them the rest of the way. It's not as good for the short term, but good for the long term.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Because from what I remember, the Wii had shortages from launch all the way into the following summer, and it was not demand-related, they just had manufacturing shortages. So the Wii U doesn't even have to play catch up.

I think it was even longer than that. I bought one as a thank you gift for some friends around November, and it took me a few weeks and some luck to get one for them before Christmas.

Though I suppose that could have been due to increased holiday demand.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Russad posted:

I think it was even longer than that. I bought one as a thank you gift for some friends around November, and it took me a few weeks and some luck to get one for them before Christmas.

Though I suppose that could have been due to increased holiday demand.

I got one at launch for my nephews and then around March got one for myself. However, I was lucky. I worked at Wal-Mart at the time in receiving, knew when the Wii's were shipped (there was five), knew when they were bringing it out to the floor and timed my break to put one on layaway.

One of the only good things I can ever say about working at that dump.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
To anyone that was worrying about ShopTo.net, I just got an email from them saying that ZombiU's been dispatched, and they even attached a picture of it in the parcel as proof. I completely forgot I even preordered it from there, but was going to pick it up anyway so that's handy...

What's great is that I'm paying the price it was when I ordered it, which was Ł39, rather than the Ł48 it is on there now. They do have Sonic Racing Transformed on there for Ł29 though, which is a tenner cheaper than GAME. I'm tempted to order it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Er ehhh, different perspectives. They could be "wasting potential" or they could simply be oversupplying as a compensation for what happened the last time. I think it's much better that people can hassle-free go into a store and have a chance at buying the Wii U rather than having to deal with it being a Tickle Me Elmo situation that no one can find anywhere.

Everything in the movie Jingle All the Way, all of it, just replace Turboman with Wii and it was the same exact nightmare. Only with less Sinbad.

I don't think any company WANTS to be sold out of their product, especially due to shortages, because it means that they could have sold more and can't. That's why I never bought into the "artificial shortages" conspiracy theories.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There isn't a full-fledged Pokemon game on a console because Pokemon is and always has been about interacting with other people no matter where you are. It's portable so that you can easily trade or battle with your friends in person anywhere, or show them your Pokemon, or whatever. Making it on a console would take away the in-person battle/trade aspect, or at least make it more difficult/convoluted. That's why the series became popular, and why the main games will never leave the handheld platform.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There isn't a full-fledged Pokemon game on a console because Pokemon is and always has been about interacting with other people no matter where you are. It's portable so that you can easily trade or battle with your friends in person anywhere, or show them your Pokemon, or whatever. Making it on a console would take away the in-person battle/trade aspect, or at least make it more difficult/convoluted. That's why the series became popular, and why the main games will never leave the handheld platform.

That could change considering the Wii U's various online features though right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think part of that interaction will be substituted with online interaction, but I think it's not going to be until Nintendo really, really needs it. They're selling a lot with the current status quo of Pokemon so there's no need to invest more just yet. I think when Pokemon starts to decline heavily they'll pull out the big guns in hopes of a revival.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I never played it but wasn't Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness on the Gamecube a full fledged Pokemon game? I thought it underperformed so they didn't bother again after that.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I never played it but wasn't Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness on the Gamecube a full fledged Pokemon game? I thought it underperformed so they didn't bother again after that.

It was more like a tech demo for one. It didn't really offer all the things that comprise a "real" main series Pokemon game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xavier434 posted:

That could change considering the Wii U's various online features though right?
But it's not the same. 10-year-olds can't trade or battle Pokemon at lunch with their WiiU's.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

There are going to be pocket regions that are oversupplied relative to demand, and others that are undersupplied relative to demand. It's hard to optimize exactly, which means you end up with consoles going unsold in oversupplied areas, but the answer isn't necessarily as simple as "more advertising".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nickoten posted:

I think part of that interaction will be substituted with online interaction, but I think it's not going to be until Nintendo really, really needs it. They're selling a lot with the current status quo of Pokemon so there's no need to invest more just yet. I think when Pokemon starts to decline heavily they'll pull out the big guns in hopes of a revival.

Exactly. The series has sold over 200 million copies for the games alone. No point in reinventing the wheel yet. Black/White 2 have sold close to 5 million copies which is probably under expectations but the first full 3DS Pokčmon will probably move handhelds and be a big seller for them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, the rumour that Good-Feel (the Kirby's Epic Yarn/Wario Land: Shake Dimension devs) are working on a HD Yoshi platformer has been kicking around for a long time, but it's not actually based on anything credible.
Some speculation on GAF is pointing to Retro based on their hirings (like an environment artist that focuses on fanciful/painterly stuff or something), but again not really anything credible.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But it's not the same. 10-year-olds can't trade or battle Pokemon at lunch with their WiiU's.

That will be a bit of a loss but not enough to merit keeping the series handheld only I don't think. With that loss will come some new benefits after all. Also, those kids shouldn't be bringing their handhelds to school anyways. ;)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

japtor posted:

Some speculation on GAF is pointing to Retro based on their hirings (like an environment artist that focuses on fanciful/painterly stuff or something), but again not really anything credible.

Retro is an interesting company. Didn't they clean house between Metroid Prime and DKC Returns and cleaned house again? They must have some excellent producers and directors who stick around.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is true, but I imagine that they could go the Monster Hunter route and release simultaneous handheld versions which can then interact with the console release. Probably not 1-1 translations like Monster Hunter Tri G on Wii U/3DS but probably something with a lot of carry over. Maybe easy trading between games with no level limits for your own Pokemon if you link your save files.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nickoten posted:

This is true, but I imagine that they could go the Monster Hunter route and release simultaneous handheld versions which can then interact with the console release. Probably not 1-1 translations like Monster Hunter Tri G on Wii U/3DS but probably something with a lot of carry over. Maybe easy trading between games with no level limits for your own Pokemon if you link your save files.

I kind of wish Nintendo went the extra mile on the Wii U and ensured that their SD slot could also play DS/3DS games. Maybe you still have to purchase an emulator from the eShop for it and maybe the logistics of this is all possible but I personally doubt it. I don't know how popular the Super GameBoy and the GameBoy player were but that would probably solve some peoples cravings of a console Pokčmon experience.

Plus it would mean I could happily sell my 3DS and not have to buy one later.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xavier434 posted:

That will be a bit of a loss but not enough to merit keeping the series handheld only I don't think. With that loss will come some new benefits after all. Also, those kids shouldn't be bringing their handhelds to school anyways. ;)
The current Pokemon games can do both in person and online trades/battles, plus the Nintendo Network is coming to the 3DS soon so you will be able to do most of the same social stuff on the 3DS as the WiiU. The only advantage to a WiiU game would be pretty graphics.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Retro is an interesting company. Didn't they clean house between Metroid Prime and DKC Returns and cleaned house again? They must have some excellent producers and directors who stick around.
Supposedly a lot of the movement is based off contract work, like a bunch hired to work on a project then may or may not stay afterwards, not sure about movement among the higher ups though. I think they moved into a big rear end new building a little while ago (and presumably hiring more), which has led to speculation of them working on multiple projects like maybe a FPS and a platformer (I vaguely remember people thinking they were working on DKC again, before this Yoshi rumor at least).

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I kind of wish Nintendo went the extra mile on the Wii U and ensured that their SD slot could also play DS/3DS games. Maybe you still have to purchase an emulator from the eShop for it and maybe the logistics of this is all possible but I personally doubt it. I don't know how popular the Super GameBoy and the GameBoy player were but that would probably solve some peoples cravings of a console Pokčmon experience.

I'd love that but a lot of stuff wouldn't work well like the games that treated both screens as one big field, or others that required seeing both screens at once for other reasons.

Then again you could play Wario Ware Twisted on the GC/GBA player even though it wasn't even remotely meant for that :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that? If the WiiU had a 3DS emulator, that would be nothing but bad for Nintendo, and confusing as hell for consumers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The current Pokemon games can do both in person and online trades/battles, plus the Nintendo Network is coming to the 3DS soon so you will be able to do most of the same social stuff on the 3DS as the WiiU. The only advantage to a WiiU game would be pretty graphics.

Well, and a big screen. And the different type of online interface which some may prefer over the DS.

That plus some people don't own a DS but will own a Wii U. That expands on your potential market especially if they do something similar to what they are doing with Monster Hunter. That makes the most sense to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that? If the WiiU had a 3DS emulator, that would be nothing but bad for Nintendo, and confusing as hell for consumers.
I think it's important to point out that the only reason Sony is considering selling Vitas with Playstations and using it as a second monitor is because THE VITA IS NOT SELLING (and I'm a Vita fan). The 3DS is selling and doing fine.

I remember thinking before the Wii U launch that they could have just let you use your DS as the Wii U second screen instead of the gamepad but that was really shortsighted and ignored a lot of the technical issues that would have emerged (only one analog stick, not enough buttons, super low resolution).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just have it all integrate with phones and the 3DS games and poo poo. Also when I was in middle school they banned Pokemon anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think it's important to point out that the only reason Sony is considering selling Vitas with Playstations and using it as a second monitor is because THE VITA IS NOT SELLING (and I'm a Vita fan). The 3DS is selling and doing fine.

I remember thinking before the Wii U launch that they could have just let you use your DS as the Wii U second screen instead of the gamepad but that was really shortsighted and ignored a lot of the technical issues that would have emerged (only one analog stick, not enough buttons, super low resolution).

Are Sony considering selling ps3/vita or ps4/vita combo. I'd buy a ps4 if I gotta vita out of it. But if they try to do it on the ps3 it will be like move and nobody will support it. If you want to chace Nintendo on this second screen you need everyone with a console to have one. Just having Vita or smartglass or whatever as a possibility with a few games that use it isnt going to work.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Just have it all integrate with phones and the 3DS games and poo poo. Also when I was in middle school they banned Pokemon anyway.

This would be a dream but it would gouge handheld sales. Nintendo's been doing the release 2/3 games -> pokemon stadium on the console thing for like 17 years.

When they did pokemon XD and such on the gamecube, they rendered (gorgeous at the time) 3D models, animations, attack effects, etc. for hundreds of pokemon, they did all the hard stuff, but decided to leave out a lot of the elements that make the handheld games great.

vvvvv Am I wrong for saying there's a pretty big crowd who would love to get their poke-fix but can't be bothered with the handhelds?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 28, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just put the next one out on the 3DS so people have a 3DS, then put one out on the Wii U that integrates with it, and then put the next one out on the 3DS. It'll still sell fine and nobody will be thinking "Well, I won't bother buying a handheld because I already have access to Pokemon". I think the handheld games have proven that having more Pokemon games out there does not hurt sales of Pokemon.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
why y'all playin' pokemon games

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I find Pokemon really boring I'm just trying to rationalize the fact that they refuse to make a console one. I mean whatever if they want to stick to handhelds just because they like them better that seems valid to me but I don't think it will somehow hurt Pokemon if they made a console one. They will make loads of money off of it. It will get people who are bored of Pokemon interested again and maybe they will even buy portable games after that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gendo posted:

It's an eternal discussion. Every generation, this is the one. This is the generation when Nintendo makes a full 3D (in this case HD) pokemon adventure on the console, and all our dreams will come true.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gendo posted:

Half nostalgia, half :3:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing with Smartglass and with Vita/Playstation interaction is that this is something Nintendo already actively attempted with the Gamecube/GBA (albeit only for a few games and not for multimedia functions). The problem is that you're limited to the subset of users that own both systems, and you're not even going to reach all of those. You can make the interactive features more robust, but that limitation will continue to apply.

The whole impetus behind the Wii U's creation was that if you want to give someone a two-screen experience, it has to all be there in one package or it's just not worth the effort.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
SmartGlass doesn't require any particular device. Any smart phone or a windows 8 computer can use SmartGlass.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

The thing with Smartglass and with Vita/Playstation interaction is that this is something Nintendo already actively attempted with the Gamecube/GBA (albeit only for a few games and not for multimedia functions). The problem is that you're limited to the subset of users that own both systems, and you're not even going to reach all of those. You can make the interactive features more robust, but that limitation will continue to apply.

The whole impetus behind the Wii U's creation was that if you want to give someone a two-screen experience, it has to all be there in one package or it's just not worth the effort.

We're talking about something pretty different here. What Nintendo attempted with the GC/GBA connection was making features for Gamecube games that only worked if you had a GBA, and small downloadable stuff for your GBA that couldn't be stored.

That's a very different thing from having two products which can be marketed and enjoyed on their own but also interact with each other to create greater value so as to avoid cannibalizing sales. Most people will buy one or the other, but those who can choose will be more easily swayed to buy both.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pokémon is a childrens' game and fits perfectly well on handhelds; just because nerds sploosh at the idea of playing it on a console doesn't mean it's a sensible business decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supercar Gautier posted:

I was in the extreme minority that did a full playthrough of Zelda Four Swords with 4 players/GBAs/link cables. It may have been the most rewarding co-op experience I've ever had in a video game. Needless to say I'm excited to see Nintendo base a whole console around the second screen idea. Now, with the pack-in gamepad, we've got an environment where it actually makes sense to support this sort of thing. I'm stoked.

• Locked thread