Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I doubt they'll alter the formula too much. Persona 3 and 4 are really popular.

I imagine the time management social links are here to stay. They may change setting, they may not.

It's not like we've been flooded with it, they've made a bunch of Megaten games with different feel, tone, and gameplay style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's just kinda fun thinking about how they could apply that whole gameplay structure and time management to young adult problems and situations, since a lot of people these days in first-world countries are still trying to find themselves. All your money could come from work instead of monsters, with the option to work overtime or pick up a shift on the weekend! Maxing out a romantic S Link could allow you to propose!

It makes me wonder if the game's primary audience is that age and would find that stuff uncomfortably close to home, or if they've "grown up with" the series from 3 and would now identify with that more readily. Weird stuff happens when you ground a game in reality.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 28, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's be interesting. To be honest, I hope they don't ditch the life-simulator aspect (it doesn't have to be school though) in the next Persona, I find it a lot of fun.

Honestly, I really like Persona 3 and 4 though, so I'm one of the sheep who would buy Persona 5 day 1 and call it game of the year if it were nothing but refinements on the established formula. I'm sorry everyone.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It makes me wonder if the game's primary audience is that age and would find that stuff uncomfortably close to home, or if they've "grown up with" the series from 3 and would now identify with that more readily. Weird stuff happens when you ground a game in reality.

Isn't adult life supposed to be pretty crushing in Japan though? I dunno, all my sources are second hand, but I always kind of thought the reason high school was such a popular setting was because of escapism.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 28, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dr Pepper posted:

How did an expansion pack to Persona 3 "burn you out" of that?

I played The Answer and it basically revealed all of the loving flaws in that system and magnified others. So I was just done with that poo poo.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Isn't adult life supposed to be pretty crushing in Japan though? I dunno, all my sources are second hand, but I always kind of thought the reason high school was such a popular setting was because of escapism.

Yeah this is always what I've heard.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cake Attack posted:

That's be interesting. To be honest, I hope they don't ditch the life-simulator aspect (it doesn't have to be school though) in the next Persona, I find it a lot of fun.

Honestly, I really like Persona 3 and 4 though, so I'm one of the sheep who would buy Persona 5 day 1 and call it game of the year if it were nothing but refinements on the established formula. I'm sorry everyone.

That would make Persona 5 all the more interesting if they just abandoned the insipid high school bullshit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

poo poo, I'd settle for a college setting at the very least.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

That would make Persona 5 all the more interesting if they just abandoned the insipid high school bullshit.

Yeah, I think you could actually tell a lot of good stories about people who are starting from a position of feeling boxed in and crushed by adult responsibilities and their problematic society "facing themselves" and "reaching out for the truth"!!!

poo poo, I think some of the broader themes in Persona 2 involved turning a critical eye on certain parts of Japanese culture. Not everything needs to be escapist.

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 28, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I think gentlemen and ladies that we should go

even younger

Persona 5: Pre-school

What's your favorite kind of juicebox?

Orange
>Grape
Cherry

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Akito dares you to stick the insect in your mouth. Will you do it?

>Yes
No

*Your Bravery Increases

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

poo poo, I'd settle for a college setting at the very least.

Persona already has an M rating in the west, you could accurately portray college!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cake Attack posted:

I kinda disagree, to be honest. I loved Persona 3 and 4 but I'd rather there be a different system when 5 comes out. As good as some stuff could be with the S.Link system, I'd really prefer something else. If they really have to keep it for whatever reason, then I'd rather have it closer to something like the Devil Survivor 2 FATE system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Persona 5: Pre-school

Ah, a Demi-Kids crossover?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I kinda disagree, to be honest. I loved Persona 3 and 4 but I'd rather there be a different system when 5 comes out. As good as some stuff could be with the S.Link system, I'd really prefer something else. If they really have to keep it for whatever reason, then I'd rather have it closer to something like the Devil Survivor 2 FATE system.

Speaking of inheriting things from Devil Survivor, when I was making my first fusion in P4G and I was allowed to pick what skills to inherit instead of hitting O -> X 30 times, my eyes got a little misty. Thank you, Devil Survivor.

King of Solomon posted:

...By completely eliminating all of the game's interesting systems and leaving you stuck in a dungeon crawl on Hard difficulty where they inexplicably got rid of the compendium.

I realize this might make me "bad opinions guy", but I actually liked that about The Answer, in a "Now that you've gone through the main game on Hard, we're gonna pit you in a 100-floor dungeon with tough-as-poo poo bosses, take out your main conveniences (Compendium, S. Links), and set you loose. Good Luck"

The expansion of the story was a bonus. Granted, some of those bosses were absolute bullshit tests of luck, and Metis was overall very meh, but the end product I felt was enjoyable for those people who NEEDED that extra bit of Persona 3.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 28, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I played The Answer and it basically revealed all of the loving flaws in that system and magnified others. So I was just done with that poo poo.

...By completely eliminating all of the game's interesting systems and leaving you stuck in a dungeon crawl on Hard difficulty where they inexplicably got rid of the compendium.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait people grinded in P2? I just went through the whole game with the starter Personas and getting crazy stat boosts from finishing with a combo attack every single time. This was mainly in P2:IS though .

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait people grinded in P2? I just went through the whole game with the starter Personas and getting crazy stat boosts from finishing with a combo attack every single time. This was mainly in P2:IS though .

There's a poo poo GameFaqs guide that would have you grind, like, ten hours between every dungeon just to level up/unlock the fusion skills. It's certainly an option, just the Worst Option.

Also, a Persona game in an office would be pretty drat rad. Especially if you get characters of varying ages, like you have the fat IT guy, some poor beleagured mother, your lovely boss...

I mean, if anything, you'd have even MORE use for skills like courage or charm or understanding in such an environment. They could even emphasize isolation in the mazes that you have to explore. It's literally Perfect.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

RentCavalier posted:

There's a poo poo GameFaqs guide that would have you grind, like, ten hours between every dungeon just to level up/unlock the fusion skills. It's certainly an option, just the Worst Option.

Also, a Persona game in an office would be pretty drat rad. Especially if you get characters of varying ages, like you have the fat IT guy, some poor beleagured mother, your lovely boss...

I mean, if anything, you'd have even MORE use for skills like courage or charm or understanding in such an environment. They could even emphasize isolation in the mazes that you have to explore. It's literally Perfect.

Agreed, that'd be pretty awesome. C'mon ATLUS, we know you can write a good adult centric story, you did it with Catherine!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I'd kinda like them to maybe move away from the randomly generated generic dungeons. They're not... I mean they're servicable, but they could be a lot more interesting.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Superstring posted:

I'd kinda like them to maybe move away from the randomly generated generic dungeons. They're not... I mean they're servicable, but they could be a lot more interesting.

I just want an Amala Network version 2.0. I mean, Strange Journey is close, but a bit too, oh, sadistic.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just want Devil Survivor 3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

I just want Devil Survivor 3.

If they can make this game with a different artist (Kaneko would be ideal, but Soejima would be great too), I would love this.

I would still buy it even with the same lovely artist, but as with DS2 I'd feel bad about it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I would prefer it if they kept the same artist, but maybe sent him to some art classes on female anatomy!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Technique posted:

I would prefer it if they kept the same artist, but maybe sent him to some art classes on female anatomy!

What are you talking about, everyone knows that girls are born with anti-gravity devices in their bosoms. Psh, read a book sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technique posted:

The anatomy is only part of the problem. I could do without another borderline-identical silver-haired evil guy.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

RentCavalier posted:

This makes me wonder what this guy's Persona would be?

I know an adult Persona with a soul crushing office job simulator will probably never happen, but it be nice to have a change of scenery and have older characters in Persona 5.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

Yeah, no. No no no. This guy has so many problems. The female anatomy is just the most egregious, obvious example.

I want someone actually good on the project.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

King of Solomon posted:

If they can make this game with a different artist (Kaneko would be ideal, but Soejima would be great too), I would love this.

I would still buy it even with the same lovely artist, but as with DS2 I'd feel bad about it.

Son, I don't think Kaneko's coming back.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

RentCavalier posted:

Woah, that could be amazing. Like, the first dungeon you go into is when you're stumbling out of your cubicle late at night after some serious overtime, but you can't find your way out. It's literally just a maze of cubicles that never seems to end, you can't find anyone else, and then boom a big ball with a tongue comes out of the wall, oh poo poo!

Your lovely boss would be the Emperor S-Link, and the entire arc would be around nudging him to become a better boss in different, subtle ways. The old-timer who's been there so goddamn long and never actually gotten anywhere could be the Tower, and you have to try and get him to realize that without him, everything would go to poo poo in the office.

Hell, just do a ton of things like that and don't even have a save the world plot, just have everything be a lot of metaphors as you try to live a decent life. :unsmith:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The anatomy is only part of the problem. I could do without another borderline-identical silver-haired evil guy.

Naoya and Yamato both own and they totally have different faces if you kinda squint a bit. :colbert:

Seriously, though. I just kinda like that dude's style. You know, despite his incredibly unfortunate attempts at drawing girls.

Also, it would be loving hilarious if the next game ALSO had another Nayoaclone. It could be a running gag!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

klapman posted:

Woah, that could be amazing. Like, the first dungeon you go into is when you're stumbling out of your cubicle late at night after some serious overtime, but you can't find your way out. It's literally just a maze of cubicles that never seems to end, you can't find anyone else, and then boom a big ball with a tongue comes out of the wall, oh poo poo!

Your lovely boss would be the Emperor S-Link, and the entire arc would be around nudging him to become a better boss in different, subtle ways. The old-timer who's been there so goddamn long and never actually gotten anywhere could be the Tower, and you have to try and get him to realize that without him, everything would go to poo poo in the office.

Hell, just do a ton of things like that and don't even have a save the world plot, just have everything be a lot of metaphors as you try to live a decent life. :unsmith:

If it was my call, I'd probably try to integrate something akin to Silent Hill the Room's system--like, the game would never really leave the office, limiting itself to just the nearby pub, a few lunch places, and maybe a park for breaks. Rather than focus on a whole year, I'd want longer, more detailed days--like there's a set schedule that you can follow or not, with varying results depending on what you do. Getting fired is an automatic game over, so you have to do a minimum amount of work to maintain your job, but...

You also have to investigate weird things happening in your building. Like, dungeons would be hidden in storage closets or be accessed by strange doors that appear. As the game goes on, the office building grows more and more weird and twisted--rooms appear, strange smells and visions are everywhere, and your various co-workers all come up with more and more excuses to ignore what's happening around them.

It would be possible for people and S-links to be killed, much like Catherine. It'd be your responsibility to try and keep everyone alive, keep your job, defeat the bad guys AND maintain healthy, stable relationships. I'd probably incorporate hunger and thirst aspects, have it possible to stay late after work, but have to suffer from it the next morning, and focus on the small, subtle changes in the office over the passage of a month or three.

Throw in half a dozen mini-games and an S-link with a pigeon who wears a scarf hanging out on the roof and you have an instant smash hit.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 28, 2012

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

RentCavalier posted:

If it was my call, I'd probably try to integrate something akin to Silent Hill the Room's system--like, the game would never really leave the office, limiting itself to just the nearby pub, a few lunch places, and maybe a park for breaks. Rather than focus on a whole year, I'd want longer, more detailed days--like there's a set schedule that you can follow or not, with varying results depending on what you do. Getting fired is an automatic game over, so you have to do a minimum amount of work to maintain your job, but...

You also have to investigate weird things happening in your building. Like, dungeons would be hidden in storage closets or be accessed by strange doors that appear. As the game goes on, the office building grows more and more weird and twisted--rooms appear, strange smells and visions are everywhere, and your various co-workers all come up with more and more excuses to ignore what's happening around them.

It would be possible for people and S-links to be killed, much like Catherine. It'd be your responsibility to try and keep everyone alive, keep your job, defeat the bad guys AND maintain healthy, stable relationships. I'd probably incorporate hunger and thirst aspects, have it possible to stay late after work, but have to suffer from it the next morning, and focus on the small, subtle changes in the office over the passage of a month or three.

Throw in half a dozen mini-games and an S-link with a pigeon who wears a scarf hanging out on the roof and you have an instant smash hit.

That does sound fun, really. It also seems like it would be really stressful and terrifying to an extent, especially if poo poo got incredibly crazy and everyone was still ignoring it completely, even when people kept dying around them. I'd play it, but drat man I play Persona for when I want to feel all jolly and poo poo :ohdear:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

klapman posted:

That does sound fun, really. It also seems like it would be really stressful and terrifying to an extent, especially if poo poo got incredibly crazy and everyone was still ignoring it completely, even when people kept dying around them. I'd play it, but drat man I play Persona for when I want to feel all jolly and poo poo :ohdear:

Clearly you have only played the latest Persona games. gently caress, Persona 2 has one of the biggest downer endings ever, and by the end of Innocent Sin, poo poo is literally so crazy that it defies description. The literal premise of the game is that any rumor that gets popular enough becomes true--you can say ANYTHING and risk it becoming a memetic nightmare, and they push this premise all the way to its logical, apocalyptic conclusion.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

RentCavalier posted:

they push this premise all the way to its logical, apocalyptic conclusion.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

RentCavalier posted:

Clearly you have only played the latest Persona games. gently caress, Persona 2 has one of the biggest downer endings ever, and by the end of Innocent Sin, poo poo is literally so crazy that it defies description. The literal premise of the game is that any rumor that gets popular enough becomes true--you can say ANYTHING and risk it becoming a memetic nightmare, and they push this premise all the way to its logical, apocalyptic conclusion.

Well, poo poo! And here I thought I could finally rest easy, not having to play more video games. I guess i'll grab Persona 2 now. Can't wait to see my cheery delusions get ripped to shreds :negative:

that's not who I think it is right what the gently caress?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

klapman posted:

Well, poo poo! And here I thought I could finally rest easy, not having to play more video games. I guess i'll grab Persona 2 now. Can't wait to see my cheery delusions get ripped to shreds :negative:

It can't be. That guy didn't wear sunglasses.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

ImpAtom posted:

It can't be. That guy didn't wear sunglasses.

Okay. Yeah, I guess that would be kinda silly.

fake edit: While searching for photos of hitler wearing sunglasses, I found out that holy poo poo that is actually literally Hitler. I'm going to adore this game, aren't I? :allears:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

RentCavalier posted:

Counterpoint: R&B songs that aren't sad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYH-H9FYt0

(Uh, you should probably not check the related videos or comments because it might spoil a twelve year old game)

klapman posted:

Yeah, it's the guy that came up with Deal With It.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I wonder if making a game on the PS3 would force Atlus to make new designs for the demons/personas. Or even better, mine deeper into some weirder mythology for new stuff.

I just want something from finnish mythology damnit. It's weird that there still hasn't been a single thing from the Kalevala, yet there are tons of demons and gods from all kinds of obscure mythologies from all over the world.

Edit: Hitler for Persona 4 Arena. Just give him Nyarlathotep as his persona and the DLC will sell itself.

Apes-Ma fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

klapman posted:

I'd say the game is more bittersweet than soul-crushing. I don't think it's any more or less of a downer than Persona 3.

P2/3 broad spoilers: It's actually really similar. Something precious is lost, but it's necessary to hold the darkness at bay and for a lesson to be learned.