Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Badfinger posted:

Does the television steal your soul or something?
Yes

Nah I probably overreacted, being able to experience a game in person is just more fun imo, and while the argument can certainly be made to watch the game at home, Reilly has like 3 good reasons and a bunch of terrible ones. This is obviously just a fluff piece but I had a hard time talking a friend into going to a game because he said he'd rather watch it at home. I'll agree that I don't think I could handle going to all home games though, because you really do miss a lot

e-He complained about the weather. Snow/rain games are the most loving fun to watch in person, maybe it's just a northern thing i donno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Randomly Specific posted:

Revisiting that 'scooped on Twitter business' it reminds me of an article that I read before the election, talking about how the media still gets excited about chronological scoops (being the first with a story that everyone will get) rather than enterprise scoops (being the first with a story that nobody else even knows exists yet.)

I mean, whoopty-do that you're the 'first' to report that Roethlisberger is down? It's just a matter of being closest to the keyboard when the story breaks, not because of any extra-special super reporter powers.

In sports journalism, this will probably be true for a while, maybe gradually replaced by accurate scoops. But what kind of enterprise stories can you really come across in sports? Besides managing to uncover something huge like "Bill Belicheck privately admits he prefers white players" there isn't much enterprise to be had.

But in general news, I think there's gradually a move toward enterprise reporting, both on Twitter and in general. But there's a good chance I think that because I work at a weekly paper, where we barely bother to try to break most news and instead work strictly on enterprise stuff.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Rap posted:

But in general news, I think there's gradually a move toward enterprise reporting, both on Twitter and in general. But there's a good chance I think that because I work at a weekly paper, where we barely bother to try to break most news and instead work strictly on enterprise stuff.

Thank god. I remember following Brown Moses' Libya thread and going by Twitter every city in Libya fell like fifty times.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
For a story on that scale, there's just no solution for it. God knows we here in Boulder fell into it with the Jessica Ridgeway story recently. We didn't post anything inaccurate at any point, although we did report on a false accusation of an attempted child abduction like every news outlet in Colorado. It's extremely hard not to get into the breaking news game on a big, big story like that.

But, on average, when news poo poo is not hitting the news fan, I do think there's a move toward enterprise reporting, yes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On one hand I agree the rush for breaking news first is a bit silly, on the other hand, Mike Florio made a ridiculous amount of money by doing just that and (sadly) became the default place to check for news. Obviously, not really repeatable, but that isn't going to get us of that gremlin.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I wish I could make a ridiculous amount of money to break Mike Florio.

Y'all should start up a pool.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Rap posted:

In sports journalism, this will probably be true for a while, maybe gradually replaced by accurate scoops. But what kind of enterprise stories can you really come across in sports? Besides managing to uncover something huge like "Bill Belicheck privately admits he prefers white players" there isn't much enterprise to be had.

I worked for a national wire service and breaking news fast is totally awesome. Then again, getting it right is equally important. Florio does neither

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know it seems silly, but you have to wonder how much of it is now driven by fantasy football. "Maurice Jones Drew is out so pick up his backup!" and its a race among people in a league to do just that. So people are going to subscribe to twitter feeds and check certain outlets if they are reliably fast and accurate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not a stretch to say it's fantasy related but most of the injury-related news is motivated by gambling. The line shifts and people bet on the other side if a key player is listed as doubtful on the injury reports (which only exist due to said gambling).

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Fair point. Fantasy football would just accelerate what was already a critical business for gamblers.

Guess it's one of those life-bending First World Problems that we'll just have to try to endure with grace.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'd really like "surging" and "reeling" to be excised from the sportswriter lexicon.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blackula69 posted:

I worked for a national wire service and breaking news fast is totally awesome. Then again, getting it right is equally important. Florio does neither

Oh, it's really fun to break news, absolutely. As a weekly we can hardly compete but it's really exciting.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Brannock posted:

I'd really like "surging" and "reeling" to be excised from the sportswriter lexicon.

Or just consider what the gently caress they're saying. The one that really blew me away was an article that declared that Michael Vick (pre-jailing) had answered the questions about his consistency with an awesome two-game performance.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Looking at preseason predictions is always fun. At the beginning of the season, Peter King was predicting that the Chiefs would have the No. 3 AFC seed and had Romeo Crennel pegged for coach of the year.

Fake edit: In fact, three of SI's writers had Romeo as coach of the year. :psyduck:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AKMoose posted:

Looking at preseason predictions is always fun. At the beginning of the season, Peter King was predicting that the Chiefs would have the No. 3 AFC seed and had Romeo Crennel pegged for coach of the year.

Fake edit: In fact, three of SI's writers had Romeo as coach of the year. :psyduck:

And here's our own prediction thread for this year...

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

As loathe as I am to defend Peter King, the Chiefs improving wasn't as crazy as it seems now. The team was getting healthy after a series of devastating injuries last year, and they were replacing a lunatic at coach.

Turns out the Chiefs aren't good, even when they're healthy, and Romeo doesn't belong as a head coach.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Febreeze posted:

Psh, normal predictions are boring. Lets make outlandish predictions and see which ones comes true.

Mark Sanchez retains the Starter role all year
Brandon Marshall has no incidents
The Browns look competent enough
Bruce Irvin ends up the best defensive player of the draft
Peyton Manning does not win Comeback Player of the Year
The MVP is not a quarterback
The Bills make the Playoffs
The Steelers don't
Nobody decides to move to LA
Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags
Chris Johnson goes down with season injury in first 4 weeks
Tony Romo is given proper credit
Lions make it to round 2 of the playoffs
49ers get worse
Megatron actually has a better year and fully debunks the madden curse
John Skelton is the starting QB at the end of the year

Oh man I still have a good chance on some of these

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had the Eagles in the Superbowl.

A DOLF backed me up with: "Eagles might have the most talented roster in the NFL. It's seriously insane."

Wrong-bro's forever.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Given that Calvin Johnson is almost on pace to break Jerry Rice's record I hope that'll finally "break" the Madden curse.

Of course people will still point at all the other stars brought low by the curse, so oh well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Oh man I still have a good chance on some of these

Mark Sanchez retains the Starter role all year- somehow, someway this ends up coming true despite everyone in the world other than Rex and Tanny being completely confused about it.
Brandon Marshall has no incidents- Cutler is more likely to have an incident than Marshall. You would think a surly QB and a WR with issues would be a disaster, but they are somehow not blowing up. Its actually kind of cool.
The Browns look competent enough - Still lots of games to Browns away.
Peyton Manning does not win Comeback Player of the Year - I don't know who else would even come close to this. Possibly Peterson, but I don't think he missed nearly enough of the season to really be considered a "come back" player.
The MVP is not a quarterback- Doubt this one comes true, unless Megatron does actually break Rice's records. That's pretty much the only chance.
The Bills make the Playoffs- not gonna happen
The Steelers don't- a toss up right now depending entirely on Ben's health
Nobody decides to move to LA - will come true
Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags - has come true
Megatron actually has a better year and fully debunks the madden curse- has come true
John Skelton is the starting QB at the end of the year- When it comes to QB's and the Cardinals, literally anything is possible, except that they will have a good QB. That's impossible.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

swickles posted:

Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags - has come true

Two good games isn't "looking awesome". If he keeps it up for the rest of the year then yeah.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Febreeze posted:

Two good games isn't "looking awesome". If he keeps it up for the rest of the year then yeah.

Uh even if he was throwing four picks a game, have you seen that mustache

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kalli posted:

A DOLF backed me up with: "Eagles might have the most talented roster in the NFL. It's seriously insane."

Wrong-bro's forever.

Totally thought the Eagles were going to win the NFCE at least, but that might have just been residual spite from the NFCCG.

Here's my full prediction post. I bit hard on the Bills and Panthers hype, and discounted the Falcons too much, but other than that I don't think I did too badly aside from the aforementioned Eagles pick.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 29, 2012

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Two good games isn't "looking awesome".

False

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalli posted:

Wrong-bro's forever.

I thought the Eagles would have 7 sacks against New Orleans. I got tons of poo poo for it then so it's only fair to own up to being Very Wrong now.

I think we might have 7 for the whole season. I am the worst amateur predictor. :smith:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Hey I remember that thread! Let's see what some of us had to say about the ol' Houston Texans...

Intruder posted:

Haha Houston being the class of the year. They just replaced the side of their offensive line they run toward the majority of the time, their only good WR is Andre Johnson (when even OTA reports say the rookies are struggling, gently caress) and he'll probably get hurt, who knows with Schaub's health, their defense can only go down from where it was last season, Kareem Jackson is going to get a lot more snaps at CB than last season...

11-5 is their absolute ceiling. 8-8 or 9-7 is more realistic

Intruder posted:

Everyone is predicting the Texans make it deep into the playoffs it seems like but seriously they're more likely to go 4-12 (due to injuries and SOS) than 12-4 (cause they have no shot at this)

Oh.

Intruder you're the best~ :unsmith:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

Hey I remember that thread! Let's see what some of us had to say about the ol' Houston Texans...

Oh.

Intruder you're the best~ :unsmith:

And Titans in the Super Bowl of course.

:wtf:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I remember wondering why everyone though the Eagles and Chiefs were playoff teams. :smugbert:

Sadly I also remember thinking Cincy was a Division Champion.:cripes:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bears's defense is old, can't keep up *said for the last 4 years*

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

in the offseason commy gun posted:

Brandon Weeden will have the best year out of all the rookie QBs
Tom Brady will throw 15+ interceptions
Atlanta will finish last in the NFC South
Trent Richardson will rush for over 1400+ yards
Baltimore will miss the playoffs
Tim Tebow will make the pro bowl (no matter what position hes playing)
Pittsburgh will finish in the bottom half of overall yards and points allowed
Cam Newton won't start all 16 games
Kirk Cousins will start a NFL game (via RG3 injury and Rex)
Carson Palmer will win comeback player of the year
lol Cowboys

That's a whole lotta wrong right there. I was trying to make outrageous predictions but fuckin a.

I was spot on with lol Cowboys though.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Tae posted:

To be fair...

They are old. But apparently Lovie Smith discovered the location of the Lazarus Pit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tae posted:

Its also said about the Steelers and (falsely) the Ravens. Apparently if you don't have 6 rookies on D, you are an aging defense.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Semi-related as it involves a football analyst.

For some bizarre reason I had on sportscenter and ESPN is trotting our Herm Edwards to debate Stephen A. Smith in regards to who is better Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant.

it's as loving terrible as you can imagine.

I swear to god the network is devolving into "Bleacher Report" of the TV world.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Predictions: The Bears will win 12 games. The Bengals will win 7, with two complete end-of-game meltdown losses that should have been wins.

From this point it would take one team winning out and the other losing out. I'd rather be wrong.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Cavauro posted:

From this point it would take one team winning out and the other losing out. I'd rather be wrong.
Ok :confused:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

commy gun posted:

Brandon Weeden will have the best year out of all the rookie QBs
Tom Brady will throw 15+ interceptions
Atlanta will finish last in the NFC South
Trent Richardson will rush for over 1400+ yards
Tim Tebow will make the pro bowl (no matter what position hes playing)
Kirk Cousins will start a NFL game (via RG3 injury and Rex)
Carson Palmer will win comeback player of the year
lol Cowboys

:stonk:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Here's a new face here, Kevin Seifert.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/50883/free-head-exam-chicago-bears-46

quote:

Offensive pass interference calls aren't as rare as you might think. Through Week 14, officials had called a total of 72, an average of about 2.9 per game. Bears receiver Alshon Jeffery certainly set a new bar by getting three on his own Sunday -- only Kenny Britt of the Tennessee Titans had that many all season entering the week

Something seemed odd to me about that number so I looked a bit more closely. At the start of Week 14, there were 208 NFL games played this season. 72 total OPIs called means... 2.9 OPIs per game?

Did... Did Seifert divide total games by total OPIs, instead of OPIs over total games? As in, games per OPI, instead of OPIs per game?

Yes... yes he did.

:eng99:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Hahahaha holy poo poo. ESPN doesn't employ editors hahahaha

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Math can be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
And this is why Nate Silver sticks to baseball

• Locked thread