Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Exactly. You can do all kinds of online stuff in the most recent Pokemon game, but if it were for a home console you'd lose out on the portability and stuff that has been a defining feature of the series.

Not if they do it similar to what they are doing with Monster Hunter. There is no reason why we can't have the best of both worlds here except for you know...:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

UK WiiU-tang update.

After getting an email from Tesco saying the WiiU would be delayed until Dec 15th(ish) I went on the hunt for another source today.

I tried Amazon after reading about some being sent out today and it has been set to dispatched already with an expected arrival of the 30th.

So if anyone left it until last minute like me, they might be worth a go.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
I just found out the hard way that the Wii U only outputs LPCM multichannel audio. So if you want surround sound make sure your A/V receiver has HDMI in and can do HDMI LPCM 5.1 output. My lovely receiver only does Dolby/DTS. You might want to add that into the faq, I didn't see that information there.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

jsun posted:

I just found out the hard way that the Wii U only outputs LPCM multichannel audio. So if you want surround sound make sure your A/V receiver has HDMI in and can do HDMI LPCM 5.1 output. My lovely receiver only does Dolby/DTS. You might want to add that into the faq, I didn't see that information there.

I was quite disappointed by this myself. Was shocked that there was no digital audio output like XBOX and PS3 have...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

japtor posted:

Supposedly a lot of the movement is based off contract work, like a bunch hired to work on a project then may or may not stay afterwards, not sure about movement among the higher ups though. I think they moved into a big rear end new building a little while ago (and presumably hiring more), which has led to speculation of them working on multiple projects like maybe a FPS and a platformer (I vaguely remember people thinking they were working on DKC again, before this Yoshi rumor at least).

I'd never even thought about a Retro Studios produced Yoshi's Island game but dammit I am now. Basically I'll day 1 buy anything Retro makes at this point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why surprised? Nintendo has never released a console supporting digital surround and they never will.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Decided to play some Xenoblade tonight, and I'm pretty impressed with how it looks. Maybe my TV doesn't have a very good upscaler, but Wii mode in the Wii U looked pretty good. Can't hold a candle to Dolphin, naturally, but it was definitely better than it looked on my Wii. It took loving forever to boot into Wii mode, at least a minute, minute and half. Hopefully that can be sped up with some kind of firmware update.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

Why surprised? __________ has never released a console supporting _________ and they never will.

What's neat about this phrase is that there are so many things you can swap in there over the years, and end up utterly wrong.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What is the purpose of that mii plaza that goes on my TV while I have the menu on the pad? Or is it just filler/advertisment space?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Chernabog posted:

What is the purpose of that mii plaza that goes on my TV while I have the menu on the pad? Or is it just filler/advertisment space?

Hit X and you can look around the Mii's on your controller they are other people who are posting stuff about the icon above their head. You can even take Mii's that you like from there and save them.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Chronojam posted:

What's neat about this phrase is that there are so many things you can swap in there over the years, and end up utterly wrong.

Especially the end, which is just dramatic BS. There is no way to predict what Nintendo will do in the future!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've said this before, but it's still true: Nintendo has a Pokemon MMORPG completed. They keep it in a glass box that says "BREAK IN CASE OF BANKRUPTCY." Square has one with the FF7 remake. (XIII Versus joke goes here.)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Hit X and you can look around the Mii's on your controller they are other people who are posting stuff about the icon above their head. You can even take Mii's that you like from there and save them.

Oh, thanks. I thought there was nothing to it at all other than those pop up messages.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that? If the WiiU had a 3DS emulator, that would be nothing but bad for Nintendo, and confusing as hell for consumers.

The Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy were both awesome and add ons. It would kind of work for the 3DS, since it's more of a TV screen would be where the action is, and the Game Pad could be where the touch controls are. But having two separate screens wouldn't work well for most DS games. Especially ones where the action takes place across both screens like Contra 4 or something like that.

I'd still buy the hell out of a 3DS player that let me play 3DS games on my TV though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've said this before, but it's still true: Nintendo has a Pokemon MMORPG completed. They keep it in a glass box that says "BREAK IN CASE OF BANKRUPTCY." Square has one with the FF7 remake. (XIII Versus joke goes here.)

It'd be nice if Nintendo broke the glass on their finished copy of Star Fox 2 and let me buy it in their eShop...

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It'd be nice if Nintendo broke the glass on their finished copy of Star Fox 2 and let me buy it in their eShop...

Or the original for that matter.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In my several years working at Gamestop, we could have sold so loving many DS Players for Wii. At least once a week someone would ask me for that thing that lets you play DS games on your Wii. Of course the customer would get mad and think Im lying when Id say that it doesnt exist.

If it existed, eventhough it would be less than ideal, people would buy the poo poo out of it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

In my several years working at Gamestop, we could have sold so loving many DS Players for Wii. At least once a week someone would ask me for that thing that lets you play DS games on your Wii. Of course the customer would get mad and think Im lying when Id say that it doesnt exist.

If it existed, eventhough it would be less than ideal, people would buy the poo poo out of it.

I just don't know what Nintendo has against putting a slot on their handhelds to connect it to a television.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

greatn posted:

Why surprised? Nintendo has never released a console supporting digital surround and they never will.

Chronojam posted:

The best part really is that LPCM is a digital format so yes, the Wii U does support digital surround already.

Though I didn't know there existed a receiver that could accept HDMI inputs but could not handle LPCM. Unless Vertigo has a receiver that doesn't support HDMI at all and was hoping to use HDMI and a Multi-AV cable to get both, which is unfortunately unsupported.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Gearing up for the AU launch, midnight for most 8AM tomorrow for me. Good thing anyway because I am stuck at work.

I went with the lazy option and will be getting rid of a bunch of PS3 systems I have around at 144 dollars a pop trade in so I after I walk in I will actually be up.

My body is ready, save for the lack of booze which I hope to rectify at some point tomorrow. Possibly while the console is updating.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

insidius posted:

Gearing up for the AU launch, midnight for most 8AM tomorrow for me. Good thing anyway because I am stuck at work.

I went with the lazy option and will be getting rid of a bunch of PS3 systems I have around at 144 dollars a pop trade in so I after I walk in I will actually be up.

My body is ready, save for the lack of booze which I hope to rectify at some point tomorrow. Possibly while the console is updating.

Same, my local EB sent an email saying they will be open at midnight, then retracted it. Also so pumped as I just bought a new TV and pick it up tomorrow a well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nintendo UK went out of their way to issue a warning not to turn the console off during the initial update. Did I understand correctly that I can just ignore the update, start playing and at some point it will have it downloaded in the background? Really don't feel like twiddling my thumbs for over an hour tomorrow.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can check on automatic downloads by pressing the home button and then tapping the download management icon on the right. That'll let you know how far along it is without restricting your ability to do other stuff.

Unless that icon isn't there prior to the update, I'm not sure.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Are there any more deals on remotes/nunchuks? I need two sets, but can't bring myself to spend $120 on controllers. :geno:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I went to Walmart last night to pick up some stuff and enjoy my weekly "let's see who gets arrested today" trip, and I saw their cabinets in the electronics department were full of Wii U systems.

This was around 6-7PM, so I knew there were other people out of school and work that could have bought them. They were just sitting there. At least 3 Black systems and 5 or more White systems.

Assassin's Creed 3 was their only sold out Wii U game, and they had about 300 copies of New Super Mario Bros. U just piled up.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Artix74 posted:

Decided to play some Xenoblade tonight, and I'm pretty impressed with how it looks. Maybe my TV doesn't have a very good upscaler, but Wii mode in the Wii U looked pretty good. Can't hold a candle to Dolphin, naturally, but it was definitely better than it looked on my Wii. It took loving forever to boot into Wii mode, at least a minute, minute and half. Hopefully that can be sped up with some kind of firmware update.

I'm hoping it can be eliminated altogether with a firmware update. Every other system that features backwards compatibility (Wii included) allows you to just pop in the disc and go. And don't even get me started on how idiotic it is to have two different online shops that use two different currencies and whose products require at least two distinct controllers to use.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Almost Smart posted:

I'm hoping it can be eliminated altogether with a firmware update. Every other system that features backwards compatibility (Wii included) allows you to just pop in the disc and go. And don't even get me started on how idiotic it is to have two different online shops that use two different currencies and whose products require at least two distinct controllers to use.

Yeah what's even more hosed up is that Nintendo moved all their stuff from DSi Ware shop into the eShop and they still hosed this up. Like they already know how to do all of this stuff, its just baffling and embarrassing to be honest. I mean Iwata has already apologized for that initial patch for being too long and not having everything at launch out of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Almost Smart posted:

Actually in both cases that do software emulation (PS3 and Xbox) they've had horrendous emulation problems with over half the games from their respective past consoles. The Wii's backwards compatability is hardware based with the guts of a Gamecube stashed in with the Wii (hence full backwards compatibility). The WiiU does the same again, but it needs that Wii Channel as a means to access it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Iwata has to apologize for a 1GBish OS update, meanwhile I'm never going to load up LBP2 again because I'm pretty sure last time it asked me to download about 5 or 6times that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Iwata has to apologize for a 1GBish OS update, meanwhile I'm never going to load up LBP2 again because I'm pretty sure last time it asked me to download about 5 or 6times that.

I couldn't even watch Little Shop of Horrors on the Blu-Ray copy I just bought from Best Buy because my goddamn PS3 for some reason needs a friggin' firmware update to play a movie?

Nintendo really is confusing as hell, though. I still can't figure out what I need for Xenoblade Chronicles. I have the original classic controller for the Wii (the one without the long handles) and I also have the new Pro controller for the Wii U, and I have no clue if both or neither of those can be used with the drat game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nintendo really is confusing as hell, though. I still can't figure out what I need for Xenoblade Chronicles. I have the original classic controller for the Wii (the one without the long handles) and I also have the new Pro controller for the Wii U, and I have no clue if both or neither of those can be used with the drat game.

Classic controller: Yes.

Pro controller: No.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not even going to sit and defend the PS3 updates because have always been hosed.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

I just don't know what Nintendo has against putting a slot on their handhelds to connect it to a television.

You have no idea how much I want a 2013 version of the Super Gameboy or some equivalent which let's me purchase any game from the handheld library and play it on my big screen using my home console's controller(s). It was glorious back then. It caused me to throw a lot of money at Nintendo which I would not have spent otherwise. It will do the same thing now. I don't care if it costs just as much as a DS itself. I would buy it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Basically:

• Wii controllers are compatible with both Wii software and Wii U software.
  • Wii U controllers only work with Wii U software.

Obviously control schemes are different for different games, but that's about the essence of it.

Xavier434 posted:

You have no idea how much I want a 2013 version of the Super Gameboy or some equivalent which let's me purchase any game from the handheld library and play it on my big screen using my home console's controller(s). It was glorious back then. It caused me to throw a lot of money at Nintendo which I would not have spent otherwise. It will do the same thing now. I don't care if it costs just as much as a DS itself. I would buy it.

Even if you have to lay on the couch sideways to play Brain Training? (comedy option: turn the TV sideways)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

(comedy option: turn the TV sideways)

Happens all the time...

You're obviously not playing the right games.

[edit] Bonus CRT:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 29, 2012

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Here are some interesting tidbits about the Wii U hardware from Hector Martin's twitter:

Marcan42 posted:

Wii U codenames worth knowing: system Cafe, CPU Espresso, GPU/SoC/etc. Latte, ARM secure processor Starbuck (we made that one up).

1.243125GHz, exactly. 3 PowerPC 750 type cores (similar to Wii's Broadway, but more cache). GPU core at 549.999755MHz.

we're calling the WiiU security processor the Starbuck (vs. Starlet on Wii). And it seems to be about equally vulnerable, too

@digitalfoundry sorry, I'd rather not talk about how I got that yet. It doesn't involve leaks, it involves Wii U hacks ;)

Take that with a grain of salt. He should know what he's talking about, though....

Anyway, i'm looking forward to finally get to play ZombiU tomorrow. :)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Happens all the time...

You're obviously not playing the right games.

[edit] Bonus CRT:

I think my monitor can do this too but I have never found a reason for it... until now obviously.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have one of my monitors at work do that for better document reading, while the other one stays landscape for better coding in programs where I have multiple toolbars open.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Even if you have to lay on the couch sideways to play Brain Training? (comedy option: turn the TV sideways)

Good point. Okay, so it won't work with the entire library. It will work with most of it though. I can live with most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

SenseLess posted:

Here are some interesting tidbits about the Wii U hardware from Hector Martin's twitter:

Take that with a grain of salt. He should know what he's talking about, though....

Anyway, i'm looking forward to finally get to play ZombiU tomorrow. :)

Can you explain what those ramblings and numbers mean?

Also Starbuck is the best :colbert:

• Locked thread