Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Firefox 18 Beta is out.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0beta/releasenotes/ posted:

Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up
Preliminary support for WebRTC
Experience better image quality with our new HTML scaling algorithm
Performance improvements around tab switching
CSS3 Flexbox implemented
Support for new DOM property window.devicePixelRatio
Support for @supports added
Improvement in startup time through smart handling of signed extension certificates
Support for W3C touch events impemented, taking the place of MozTouch events
Disable insecure content loading on HTTPS pages (62178)
Improved responsiveness for users on proxies (769764)

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/

The retina support is beyond amazing. The performance hit is negligible. Chrome/Safari seems to scroll much slower than Firefox. Freaking awesome. :D

The tab switching performance is noticed; the sluggishness I used to experience has been eliminated.

What a great version 18 will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
e: a mistaken sync option seems to be at fault. I have no idea why a NoScript button being added next to the navigation buttons would change the way they look so drastically, though.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2012

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0beta/releasenotes/ posted:

Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up

What does this actually mean? Isn't Retina just Apple's trademark for ultra high resolution displays? Why would you need to customize your software to support it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

dpbjinc posted:

What does this actually mean? Isn't Retina just Apple's trademark for ultra high resolution displays? Why would you need to customize your software to support it?

High DPI displays tend to make applications created for regular DPI displays quite blurry.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=674373

Have a look at some of the comparison screenshots there - Retina support makes text and icons in the browser look sharper.

Tempest3D
Jun 13, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

The Netscape plugin API has no way to pass keyboard events back up to the browser, so if the plugin has the keyboard focus and gets a key event it doesn't respond to, it has nowhere to punt it.

I rave read this too, somewhere, but either it isn't true anymore, or some sites/flash have figured out a way around it.

I have a Dell-branded keyboard with multimedia controls, including a volume dial knob. YouTube completely eats the events from the volume wheel without doing anything.
Vimeo, on the other hand, works fine. Even when the flash has focus, the volume knob still adjusts my system volume. Not sure if they are doing flash, focus, or some other shenanigans, but at least it works.

I wish I could figure out what the difference is / how to make it work properly on YouTube.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

dpbjinc posted:

Firefox now supports rendering in HiDPI mode on OSX like Chrome and Safari (and other Webkit implementations). This required quite a bit of work to handle the screen coordinates when rendering 2x the amount of screen data. Before this implementation Firefox told the system that it was a 'low DPI' application and resulted in a very blurry/fuzzy window.

The team has been working on this patch for quite some time. Canvas is not yet updated to use HiDPI and some plugins, I believe, still have issues (not sure if they are all fixed). Tearing a tab from a HiDPI screen to a low DPI screen causes rendering issues, but should be mitigated enough to not notice in normal use.

The end result is Firefox now renders incredibly sharp with the exception of images that are low DPI. CSS buttons, text, the browser chrome are all razor sharp.

HiDPI/Retina has issues with standards for the webpages to detect; most everyone (including Apple's site) uses sniffing of webkit proprietary device pixel ratio calls to determine if a higher resolution image should be used (a 2x ratio = 2x resolution image).

The standardization will take time to iron out. :(

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Firefox is broken on my laptop. The program will often become unresponsive, especially when watching youtube videos. Clicking anywhere in the program will have no response for about 15 seconds. I uninstalled, reinstalled. Tried the soft reset in the menus, then tried deleting the profile file in appdata while Firefox was uninstalled. I even upgraded (in-place) to Windows 8, and it's still broken. My girlfriend's now having a similar problem with Firefox on her laptop.

I switched to Chrome. Chrome is very similar to Firefox from a user standpoint, and the switch was easier than continuing to troubleshoot. I'm still open to suggestions, but this shouldn't be something obscure; I'm running an Asus G73 laptop, and aren't using any unusual programs or settings. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot about this online, despite it seeming like something that would be a common problem.

I mainly don't want to abandon Firefox because I love how the developers are pushing for openness on the web. Might donate anyway.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dominoes posted:

Firefox is broken on my laptop. The program will often become unresponsive, especially when watching youtube videos. Clicking anywhere in the program will have no response for about 15 seconds. I uninstalled, reinstalled. Tried the soft reset in the menus, then tried deleting the profile file in appdata while Firefox was uninstalled. I even upgraded (in-place) to Windows 8, and it's still broken. My girlfriend's now having a similar problem with Firefox on her laptop.

I switched to Chrome. Chrome is very similar to Firefox from a user standpoint, and the switch was easier than continuing to troubleshoot. I'm still open to suggestions, but this shouldn't be something obscure; I'm running an Asus G73 laptop, and aren't using any unusual programs or settings. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot about this online, despite it seeming like something that would be a common problem.

I mainly don't want to abandon Firefox because I love how the developers are pushing for openness on the web. Might donate anyway.

I used to have these problems as well. I think it's related to the Garbage Collection of memory going wild and locking up the UI thread. No clue. I started using BETA versions and along the way created a new profile. Everything works well now.

Try generating a new profile and see if that fixes up your problem:

quote:

1. On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
2.Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
3. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation sheet that slides down.
4. Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Done and Firefox will open. That's it – you're done!
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

jink posted:

I used to have these problems as well. I think it's related to the Garbage Collection of memory going wild and locking up the UI thread. No clue. I started using BETA versions and along the way created a new profile. Everything works well now.

Try generating a new profile and see if that fixes up your problem:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
That's the soft reset I tried.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dominoes posted:

That's the soft reset I tried.

I'm sorry, I totally missed that. :doh:

Have you tried manually starting a new profile? http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Other than that, ensure the plugins are updated (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/) and ensure nothing is out of sorts in in about :addons (or ctrl+shift+a).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dominoes posted:

I'd wager that is most likely caused by the flash plugin. As mentioned, check its version. Also, check your graphics card driver version. :)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

jink posted:

I used to have these problems as well. I think it's related to the Garbage Collection of memory going wild and locking up the UI thread.

GC pauses should pretty much never be more than a brief stutter these days; they've made a number of huge improvements to the performance of it in the recent releases. These days, long pauses are either going to be plugins (like flash) or from seriously bad disk performance.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zhentar posted:

GC pauses should pretty much never be more than a brief stutter these days; they've made a number of huge improvements to the performance of it in the recent releases. These days, long pauses are either going to be plugins (like flash) or from seriously bad disk performance.

Yes, I would love to stand by this statement as that's what the Firefox team has been working towards. Unfortunately even with Flash blocked and an SSD on a clean profile, I will still get long stutter periods. It is definitely not my system.

It is getting much better (especially with 17 and 18) but I still feel there are long pauses from *something*. I run the MemChaser add-on to monitor the pauses and I have seen long GC pauses (before the incremental GC).

Mozilla is doing a terrific job at improving this situation. I wonder about the users out there that suffer from these problems and not know a cause other than "that crappy Firefox browser". :(

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I have no idea if this will help but I've heard people say it has helped Firefox for slowdowns, grab the latest winapp.ini for CCleaner and CCleaner if you don't already have it and check every box that's listed under Firefox and clean, see if after all that FF junk being erased helped. Also I see a lot of people saying to "run Crystal Disk Info" that checks your harddrives for errors, if there are errors, thats probably the cause for the slowdowns which can't be fixed without a harddrive replacement.

Oh and if you grab Crystal Disk Info grab the portable version, that version have no addware junk bundled in.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

jink posted:

I'm sorry, I totally missed that. :doh:

Have you tried manually starting a new profile? http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Other than that, ensure the plugins are updated (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/) and ensure nothing is out of sorts in in about :addons (or ctrl+shift+a).
Thanks - It looks like updating Flash from that page fixed it. IIRC, before I kept trying to update flash, but it wouldn't update for some reason despite multiple attempts.

New question: What's up with Firefox Sync? Chrome sync is straight forward: Enter your email and password, and it will sync with Chrome on other computers/OSes with a username and password login. In addition to a username and password, Firefox has a recovery key, a 3-box thing of random characters, and a "pair a device" thing. Why does it need these? What are they for? What do they provide beyond what a username and password does?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dominoes posted:

New question: What's up with Firefox Sync? Chrome sync is straight forward: Enter your email and password, and it will sync with Chrome on other computers/OSes with a username and password login. In addition to a username and password, Firefox has a recovery key, a 3-box thing of random characters, and a "pair a device" thing. Why does it need these? What are they for? What do they provide beyond what a username and password does?
You don't have to enter anything on the mobile device for Firefox Sync. You sign up on the PC, launch Firefox Sync on the mobile device, then type in the sync code on the PC.

Bushwack
Aug 29, 2000

Dominoes posted:

Why does it need these? What are they for? What do they provide beyond what a username and password does?

Privacy and Security: http://gregoryszorc.com/blog/category/internet/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Cool; this sounds like the answer. Looks like it's also an enabler for syncing to third-party services. Firefox and Chrome are both so drat awesome, and I love how innovation in one browser quickly follows to the other. I use Xmarks over either of their bookmark syncs, so I can switch between the two browsers painlessly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What is the best extension for forcing a page to allow the browser to save username and password? The library system I use has the whatever thing set so firefox won't remember the password and I want to get past that.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

What is the best extension for forcing a page to allow the browser to save username and password? The library system I use has the whatever thing set so firefox won't remember the password and I want to get past that.

Not sure if this still works, but worth a shot.

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's a bunch of Greasemonkey scripts that will do it automatically.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Install Gentoo posted:

You can use Firebug (or probably the built-in web developer tools) to search the source for autocomplete="off" attributes, then remove those live on the page. Firefox should then ask to remember you password that time around, and it'll populate on future visits.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

jink posted:

Firefox 18 Beta is out.
Why are they advertising their 'new HTML scaling algorithm' when it's disabled by default and doesn't work on a large portion of images?
Also it resizes the image every time you give focus to the tab, so you get to see the low-quality versions for a quarter of a second every time you switch tabs.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Why are they advertising their 'new HTML scaling algorithm' when it's disabled by default and doesn't work on a large portion of images?
Also it resizes the image every time you give focus to the tab, so you get to see the low-quality versions for a quarter of a second every time you switch tabs.

Yeah, that's retarded. I haven't noticed that.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Install Gentoo posted:

I use a bookmarklet for this:
code:
javascript:(function(){var%20ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function%20n(i,what){return%20i+"%20"+what+((i==1)?"":"s")}ca=cea=cs=0;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df[i];dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit="";++cs;}if(x.attributes["autocomplete"]){x.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe[j];if(y.attributes["autocomplete"]){y.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++cea;}}}alert("Removed%20autocomplete=off%20from%20"+n(ca,"form")+"%20and%20from%20"+n(cea,"form%20element")+",%20and%20removed%20onsubmit%20from%20"+n(cs,"form")+".%20After%20you%20type%20your%20password%20and%20submit%20the%20form,%20the%20browser%20will%20offer%20to%20remember%20your%20password.")})();
Just make a new bookmark and put the code in the Location field.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name	Autocomplete, drat it!
// @namespace	com.example.acd
// @description	Remove the autocomplete="off" attribute
// @include	*
// @grant	none
// ==/UserScript==

(function ()
{
	window.addEventListener("load", function(e) {
		var l = document.evaluate("//*[@autocomplete='off']", document, null,
			XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);
		for (var i = 0; i < l.snapshotLength; i++) {
			l.snapshotItem(i).removeAttribute("autocomplete");
		}
	}, false);
})();

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I am having issues with Wikipedia layouts:

I have tried clearing my cookies several times and applying (and removing) Userstyles, and it looks normal in Chrome and IE. Any idea? I am on Aurora 19.0a2 (2012-12-01) on Windows 7.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
What does it look like with all addons disabled?
(use the Help menu to do that)

edit: Oh yeah, like person below me suggests, clear cache. Or use Ctrl-F5 or whatever it is to bypass cache.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 2, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

david puddy posted:

I am having issues with Wikipedia layouts:

I have tried clearing my cookies several times and applying (and removing) Userstyles, and it looks normal in Chrome and IE. Any idea? I am on Aurora 19.0a2 (2012-12-01) on Windows 7.

Have you tried clearing your cache? Sometimes the CSS gets mucked up and that fixes it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Or use Ctrl-F5 or whatever it is to bypass cache.

Welp, that fixed it. Thanks guys

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Finally tried to figure out why everything in my Firefox looked so much worse than Chrome...turns out I had a minimum font size set, when in fact it should be set to "None". Now it's actually usable again :downs:

Aurora has been surprisingly bug-free so far, but still leaks memory like a sieve.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

movax posted:

Finally tried to figure out why everything in my Firefox looked so much worse than Chrome...turns out I had a minimum font size set, when in fact it should be set to "None". Now it's actually usable again :downs:

Aurora has been surprisingly bug-free so far, but still leaks memory like a sieve.

It could be add-ons or plugins leaking the memory as opposed to Firefox itself. Do you still get your memory issues in a clean profile with no extensions? Firefox hasn't poo poo the bed with memory use for me in a long time, even with a dozen extensions in use.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It could be add-ons or plugins leaking the memory as opposed to Firefox itself. Do you still get your memory issues in a clean profile with no extensions? Firefox hasn't poo poo the bed with memory use for me in a long time, even with a dozen extensions in use.

I don't even know which ones I have installed; maybe it's an Aurora bug, when I click on 'Add-Ons' to manage/disable them..nothing pops up. :haw:

I know I have ABP, and maybe XMarks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

movax posted:

when I click on 'Add-Ons' to manage/disable them..nothing pops up. :haw:

If this is the bug I'm thinking of it's caused by the add-on Tab Mix Plus, you should still be able to manage your add-ons by manually typing in the address bar about :addons or just go to a blank page and go Tools > Add-ons and it should work then.

If you do use Tab Mix Plus and want to fix this you'll have to download the latest dev build at the dev's site http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15740

They don't plan to release the next official version until January for the stupid reason.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Im_Special posted:

If this is the bug I'm thinking of it's caused by the add-on Tab Mix Plus, you should still be able to manage your add-ons by manually typing in the address bar about :addons or just go to a blank page and go Tools > Add-ons and it should work then.

If you do use Tab Mix Plus and want to fix this you'll have to download the latest dev build at the dev's site http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15740

They don't plan to release the next official version until January for the stupid reason.

:stare: Mindreader.

I do have Tab Mix Plus installed, will apply that fix/grab latest version when I get home, thanks!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I miss how my tabs filled the absolute top of the screen and now there is only the Firefox button and screen resizes with nothing in the middle. How do I get them back?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Scalding Coffee posted:

I miss how my tabs filled the absolute top of the screen and now there is only the Firefox button and screen resizes with nothing in the middle. How do I get them back?
I thought the top was only filled with tabs if you have Firefox maximised?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Question Mark Mound posted:

I thought the top was only filled with tabs if you have Firefox maximised?

This is true. Stratiform is the easiest way to change that. I know it did lose my settings once randomly, reverting things back, maybe the same happened to him
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stratiform/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This is my Rapid Search bookmark for wikipedia:

Until a while ago, if I typed "wiki John Smith", I would be unerringly get redirected to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith . However, since a few months ago, sometimes I instead get sent to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John+Smith , which unsurprisingly is a Wikipedia error page, and I have to change the sign(s) manually then reload. I never figured out any particular pattern in which this error presented itself.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

This is my Rapid Search bookmark for wikipedia:

Until a while ago, if I typed "wiki John Smith", I would be unerringly get redirected to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith . However, since a few months ago, sometimes I instead get sent to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John+Smith , which unsurprisingly is a Wikipedia error page, and I have to change the sign(s) manually then reload. I never figured out any particular pattern in which this error presented itself.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

I've been using this string forever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s

You can always right click in the search box and select "Add a Keyword for this Search".