Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of his famous exploits was capturing one of the Darkfriends responsible for Malkier's destruction and bringing him to some sort of Borderlander justice.

VVV

not ever stated as such I don't think. His name, Jain Charin, also doesn't follow any of the Malkieri naming conventions AFAIK.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Two Finger posted:

He obviously had something to do with Malkier as well, or perhaps the Malkieri knew he was being used as a tool. Remember his last words?

"If you ever meet a Malkier, tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

He was Malkieri, I think.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

evilweasel posted:

He was Malkieri, I think.

He definitely was:

http://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Jain_Charin

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I note that that wiki entry doesn't source that assertion.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

api call girl posted:

I note that that wiki entry doesn't source that assertion.

It's from The Dragon Reborn's glossary of Travels of Jain Farstrider.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

L-O-N posted:

It's from The Dragon Reborn's glossary of Travels of Jain Farstrider.

So it is. Hoist by some kind of petard.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Huh. I never knew that.

drat :(

I thought it was particularly badass as a last line, and hinted at something all sorts of mysterious and cool.

Dude still went out like a boss.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I thought I'd signed up for the Memories of Light, but, apparently not. I'm just going to repost these from Theoryland.

Day #1 "It had been useful at Maradon. Nobody knew he had it. That was important."

Day #2 "I should like to hear one of your stories. Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara?"

Day #3 "Being married is not so bad, Perrin. Why didn't you tell me it was not so bad? I think I am rather fond of it."

1) Rand had a secret (sa')angreal at Maradon? No wonder he wiped the floor with 200000 Shadowspawn.

Also, lol:

Terez@Theoryland posted:

Another chip away at the stupid Jesus Rand people. Yay.

^ Seriously, gently caress those guys.

2) Jain Farstrider has a child? Not sure who would be associated with Shara otherwise. Maybe one of the Aiel?

3) Mat or Rand? Probably Mat. e: Loial.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 29, 2012

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has Sanderson said whether he'd be willing to identify parts of the final trilogy that were mostly him vs. mostly Jordan?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grundulum posted:

Has Sanderson said whether he'd be willing to identify parts of the final trilogy that were mostly him vs. mostly Jordan?

At times he's mentioned things that were heavily Jordan (specific prologue scenes, the Tower scene), but he's also said that much of Jordan's stuff has been expanded or tweaked or revised or the like that much of it is really a complete mix.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

api call girl posted:

I thought I'd signed up for the Memories of Light, but, apparently not. I'm just going to repost these from Theoryland.

Day #1

What does this "day #1" etc stuff refer to? Are snippits of the book being released every day or something?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

api call girl posted:

Tor just announced the signing tour. Closest one to me is going to be in Skokie, IL, which is like an hour 15 drive for me. I might have to do this. Harriet's going to be there as well, so that's extra worthwhile.

One of these is less than 30 minutes from my house, and chances are I will have finished the book by the time it starts.

I'm so going.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

What does this "day #1" etc stuff refer to? Are snippits of the book being released every day or something?

Yes. Quotes, snippets, chapter names, anything of that nature.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Day #4 "Pass his bond to me."

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

At times he's mentioned things that were heavily Jordan (specific prologue scenes, the Tower scene), but he's also said that much of Jordan's stuff has been expanded or tweaked or revised or the like that much of it is really a complete mix.

Was mostly curious for comment on some of the scenes people have said don't really sound like Jordan. Tower of Ghenjei was pretty funny, since it turned out to have been Jordan who didn't sound like Jordan. But other things, like the "you're a gem, Av" line mentioned earlier in the thread, stand out so badly I wondered how it could have gotten through editing -- unless they were Jordan's words to begin with.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

api call girl posted:

Moiraine to Alanna perhaps?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Sounds about right to me. I doubt Moiraine would put this on Nynaeve, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of options/

Man, I started this reread way too late. :doh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Not a chance, her vision in the rings makes it clear what a tremendously bad idea that would be. I agree it's probably someone to Alanna.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

evilweasel posted:

Not a chance, her vision in the rings makes it clear what a tremendously bad idea that would be. I agree it's probably someone to Alanna.

Egwene? Man. That would be a scene.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Loony theory: Tuon, Elaida, Mat.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

api call girl posted:

Loony theory: Tuon, Elaida, Mat.

Also p badass if she can get some spine back and be a real threat instead of being the pathetic joke she's been turned into.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Still regarding Memory #4:
I suppose it could be Cadsuane to Alanna... or, actually, what happens if someone passes a bond to a person who already has one to the same Warder? Could it be Elayne or Aviendha to Alanna?

Or, loonier: The only other men whose bonds seem likely to be relevant are Logain and Androl; what if it's Tarna to Pevara?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

api call girl posted:

Several guesses but not one Moghedien/Lanfear to Alanna

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
On the 5th day of Christmas my Creator gave to me:

Day #5
"Creator shelter us," she whispered.

Mat scowled. "You know, that's what Tuon said."

---------------------

Ok, this is certainly after Mat's visited Tuon after Chapter 11, because I don't think Tuon has said anything of that nature to Mat as of KoD. The sense of the passage is that Mat's relaying a message from Tuon to someone.

I think it's Egwene.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Brandon Sanderson just posted this video on his Facebook, in case you weren't excited enough for this book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJiyFf8gW4

There were some tear jerking moments near the end, but maybe I'm just soft.

Affi posted:

Several guesses but not one Moghedien/Lanfear to Alanna

That would be an interesting twist. I could see it being Lanfear/Cyndane more than Moghedien. How well known is it that Alanna bonded Rand? I know Cadsuane was aware, but I'm assuming it's not common knowledge in the White Tower.
Also, Min's viewing about Alanna indicated that she would keep her oath to Rand, so my guess would be her getting forced to pass the bond, maybe with an A'dam?

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 30, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Man, Brandon got really fat.

:btroll:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Day #6

quote:

"The right thing had always seemed clear to Galad before, but never had it felt as right as this. Those streaks of light were like indicators on a map, arrows pointing his way. The Light itself guided him. It had prepared him, placed him here at this moment. "

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Right, I totally forgot about that and haven't hit that spot on my reread yet.

Which has been stalled for like 3 weeks because I haven't had time. Looks like I'll be blowing through books 2-13 in the 2 weeks before AMoL comes out :toot:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Which has been stalled for like 3 weeks because I haven't had time. Looks like I'll be blowing through books 2-13 in the 2 weeks before AMoL comes out :toot:

Same but 7-13.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

It's actually really fun, I do a full reread every time a new WOT book comes out and I generally take annual leave and do 1 book per day over a fortnight. I've given myself 3 weeks this time though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is that... possible?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

Is that... possible?

I've done single books in a day, so it is indeed possible. It's not at all recommended, no.

Also

Day #7 "Nobody travels the Ways," Ituralde said, aghast.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

api call girl posted:

I've done single books in a day, so it is indeed possible. It's not at all recommended, no.

Also

Day #7 "Nobody travels the Ways," Ituralde said, aghast.

Hmm, either just commenting on the way Trollocs are moving about, or he's about to take the fight to the enemy :black101: (yeah sure that wouldn't make much sense but come on, it's just crazy enough to work/ he's just that bad rear end- ... mad enough to do it :downs:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Is that... possible?

I dunno, I'm hoping I can finish my reread before release. I'm just finishing Dragon Reborn today, and I have a long break this month where I will binge on WoT and whiskey.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Finished my reread last week, didn't think I'd be done so fast.

I am once again wondering how the True Power works, somehow I got this feeling Jesus Rand wouldn't be using the True Power from the DO but the Light's version of it. Unless it was all part of the DO's ruse to destroy Rand.

This book is confusing on so many levels, I bet a 3rd reread would confuse me even more.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Is that... possible?

I've done it before, I'll do it again. Hopefully I'll be able to start a little bit before that so I can have some breathing room, but ~who knows~

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tahirovic posted:

Finished my reread last week, didn't think I'd be done so fast.

I am once again wondering how the True Power works, somehow I got this feeling Jesus Rand wouldn't be using the True Power from the DO but the Light's version of it. Unless it was all part of the DO's ruse to destroy Rand.

This book is confusing on so many levels, I bet a 3rd reread would confuse me even more.

The Light's version is the One Power. And yeah, giving Rand access to the TP is definitely part of a ruse to destroy the world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

api call girl posted:

The Light's version is the One Power. And yeah, giving Rand access to the TP is definitely part of a ruse to destroy the world.

My guess is that Rand has access to the True Power because Moridin does, and possibly for that reason alone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Day #8 Egwene strode around a frozen pillar of glass in her dream. It almost looked like a column of light. What did it mean? She could not interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

api call girl posted:

Day #8 Egwene strode around a frozen pillar of glass in her dream. It almost looked like a column of light. What did it mean? She could not interpret it.

Funny, I also can't interpret it! :P

• Locked thread