Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

x!te bike posted:

I think brutal doom is totally fine as a gimmick joke wad like simpsons doom or something but when people treat it like it's the only way to play the game it seems really weird.

e:typo

Why is it weird? I'm ok with people treating it like it's the only way to play the game if it makes it that much of an enjoyable experience for them. I think some people have said that some wads are too hard in Brutal Doom, but I definitely haven't seen anyone blame the mapper or anything and I'm sure if they tried it in vanilla Doom they'd have even less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fallom posted:

I'm sure if they tried it in vanilla Doom they'd have even less fun.

They'd be playing the map the way it was intended to be played.

I'm not saying loving with the wad author's intent is a big deal or anything, but maps aren't designed with the brutal doom balance changes in mind so some of them end up difficult to the point of being unfun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I'm not saying loving with the wad author's intent is a big deal or anything, but maps aren't designed with the brutal doom balance changes in mind so some of them end up difficult to the point of being unfun.

Uh so you agree with me?

I mean my whole point was that Brutal Doom makes some maps way more difficult, and if someone really likes Brutal Doom over vanilla Doom they probably wouldn't have fun playing the map the way it was meant to be played. The only way I'd take issue over this is if the player criticized the mapper for it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fallom posted:

Uh so you agree with me?

You said they'd have less fun if they tried the map in vanilla doom. They'd probably have more fun because the map wouldn't be balls hard anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You said they'd have less fun if they tried the map in vanilla doom. They'd probably have more fun because the map wouldn't be balls hard anymore.

I'm considering this absurd scenario where someone plays and enjoys Brutal Doom because they're tired or bored of the mechanics in vanilla Doom.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Also a guy compared my voice acting unfavorably to something from a lovely B-movie and called me "some guy trying to sound tough into his mic in his bedroom" and that kind of upset me.

gently caress YOURSELF :colbert:

you're awesome

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fallom posted:

I'm considering this absurd scenario where someone plays and enjoys Brutal Doom because they're tired or bored of the mechanics in vanilla Doom.

I guess it never occurred to me anyone would like Brutal Doom that much, or get that tired of Vanilla Doom. I've been playing vanilla Doom for 20 years so this whole Brutal Doom thing is just seems like a temporary fad to me. When I get tired of Doom I just quit playing it for a year and then it's fun again.

I can play with Brutal Doom for like, an episode before I get tired of it and go back to Vanilla.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 29, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just blew through Episode 1 on UV, brutal doom, no saves, pistol start only (using the wad I made and posted at the end of last page). I've never done that before, it's pretty fun - people should try it if they've never done it!

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
For whatever it's worth, Brutal Doom got me playing Doom again, period. Then again, I love the "gently caress Yourself!" key, so maybe it just plays to my inner 10 year-old. Might have to try that rifle start mod myself after I finish my current UV run.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I guess it never occurred to me anyone would like Brutal Doom that much, or get that tired of Vanilla Doom. I've been playing vanilla Doom for 20 years so this whole Brutal Doom thing is just seems like a temporary fad to me. When I get tired of Doom I just quit playing it for a year and then it's fun again.

I can play with Brutal Doom for like, an episode before I get tired of it and go back to Vanilla.

You're not exactly something special. I'm pretty sure there are more than a few Goons in this thread who have been raised on Wolf3D and Doom. I know I have.

Look, I love Doom. And I love Brutal Doom. I've never really gotten bored with Brutal Doom, though, and don't believe it's fair to define it solely by its ability to make the game harder. You could also take away 90% of the gore (a legitimate gimmick of the mod) and I wouldn't care. The WAD just introduces a combination of changes and shiny bits that scratch all my itches.

The whole "way it was intended to be played" thing is such a dumb argument because it completely misses the point that people enjoy different things, different ways.

It's so weird coming from the New Vegas Modding thread--where you've got people playing and enjoying the same game in every way imaginable--and encountering people who have such strange opinions on mods and wads.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I can only gently caress a bitch so many times in the same dress. Now, I'll come back to the dress, because I enjoy it. But, please honey, put something new on once in awhile. Talk dirty, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

For whatever it's worth, Brutal Doom got me playing Doom again, period.

This is me without the "again". I could never get into Doom until I tried Brutal Doom.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SavageMessiah posted:

I just blew through Episode 1 on UV, brutal doom, no saves, pistol start only (using the wad I made and posted at the end of last page). I've never done that before, it's pretty fun - people should try it if they've never done it!

Playing without saves in general is the only way to play, for me--it really ramps up the difficulty and forces you to learn levels to know what items you can pick up when, or whether you might need to save them for later on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kakumei posted:

Playing without saves in general is the only way to play, for me--it really ramps up the difficulty and forces you to learn levels to know what items you can pick up when, or whether you might need to save them for later on.

I like seeing how many BD+UV Doom 2 maps I can blast through in a single go without dying. It also works really well with Khorus' Speedy poo poo wad.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're not exactly something special. I'm pretty sure there are more than a few Goons in this thread who have been raised on Wolf3D and Doom. I know I have.

Look, I love Doom. And I love Brutal Doom. I've never really gotten bored with Brutal Doom, though, and don't believe it's fair to define it solely by its ability to make the game harder. You could also take away 90% of the gore (a legitimate gimmick of the mod) and I wouldn't care. The WAD just introduces a combination of changes and shiny bits that scratch all my itches.

Doom is a much slower and calculating beast (and yes also better balanced with most wads) and holds a much warmer place in my heart, but Brutal Doom contains all the vitamins and minerals a MAN like me needs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.

Thank You for making a proper pistol start mod! I've been hoping for one of these for ages.

Can I ask a small favour though - would you be able to make a version that resets your health to 100% as well as enforcing a pistol start?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Kazvall posted:

I can only gently caress a bitch so many times in the same dress.

If you want to really spice it up, make her wear the dress.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

I don't know of a Doom 1 one, but for Doom 2 there is Memorial by the wonderful Eternal: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/memorial.zip note that it only really works in prboom+ due to a strange bug in zdoom based ports where your bullets cease to work :(

It's been fixed a while ago. This bug doesn't happen in ZDoom 2.6.0 and later.

And it's not a ZDoom bug, it was an overflow issue with hitscan traces along huge blockmaps. It had been fixed in PrBoom+ (and Mocha Doom) earlier due to some investigation in the issue by entryway and Maes; you'd have the same bug in any other source port which doesn't fix it. (Vanilla solves the issue by crashing on large blockmaps.)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Thank You for making a proper pistol start mod! I've been hoping for one of these for ages.

Can I ask a small favour though - would you be able to make a version that resets your health to 100% as well as enforcing a pistol start?

They both do that - armor is set to 0 and health is set to 100. Is it not working for you or did you just not try it yet?

Cat Mattress posted:

It's been fixed a while ago. This bug doesn't happen in ZDoom 2.6.0 and later.

Really? I thought for sure that I had that bug in a fairly recent version of gzdoom. I'll have to give it another try then.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 29, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm a mac user, and I'd love to get in on all of this Doom wonderfulness. I have the wads somewhere on an old disc, but I'd like to know, what's the best mac-friendly resource or program to check out in order to play all of these wonderful mods? I'd also love to know about playing the original Quake, too. I know years and years ago, I had something set up, but it was buggy, and I figure a lot has changed since then. Any suggestions?

The ability to play via LAN would be awesome as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

Really? I thought for sure that I had that bug in a fairly recent version of gzdoom. I'll have to give it another try then.

Graf Zahl's site still links to something from 2010 as being the latest version of GZDoom (1.5.06) despite GZDoom 1.6.00 being old news already. (And being online, but you have to copy the URL from the download link, and change "5.06" to "6.00" to get the true latest version...)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm a mac user, and I'd love to get in on all of this Doom wonderfulness. I have the wads somewhere on an old disc, but I'd like to know, what's the best mac-friendly resource or program to check out in order to play all of these wonderful mods? I'd also love to know about playing the original Quake, too. I know years and years ago, I had something set up, but it was buggy, and I figure a lot has changed since then. Any suggestions?

I can send you the latest SVN build of GZdoom-mac, and some instructions on how I run it at the command line. PrBoom+ is kickass for demo running, and comes with a nice GUI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I can send you the latest SVN build of GZdoom-mac, and some instructions on how I run it at the command line. PrBoom+ is kickass for demo running, and comes with a nice GUI.

I'd love that. Do you have PM's? If not, my gmail address is 'slaptheolsentwins'.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I'd love that. Do you have PM's? If not, my gmail address is 'slaptheolsentwins'.

I'll send you an e-mail this evening after work :-)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

They both do that - armor is set to 0 and health is set to 100. Is it not working for you or did you just not try it yet?

:doh:

I... didn't try it yet.

e: By the way, you should upload these to the \idgames archive if you haven't already!

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 29, 2012

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

I'll tackle the Quake part.

For singleplayer on the Mac I'd recommend Quakespasm: http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm

And check out the "5 minute Quake guide" at http://www.quaddicted.com/

FWIW, some folks instead swear by DarkPlaces, which is less of a "polished classic" experience and more something with tweakable/experimental effects: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

Quakespasm may be fine for LAN multiplayer too, but for QuakeWorld-style multiplayer the ezQuake engine is the way to go. nQuake is a nice package that includes the ezQuake engine: http://nquake.com/

I'm not sure how up-to-date the Mac nQuake package is w.r.t. the current ezQuake version, so after installing nQuake you may want to check the ezQuake version and perhaps overwrite it with the latest from http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/

Any modern Quake engine should make it possible to host a local multiplayer game on one client and have other clients connect to that. If you want to get hardcore and run an actual QuakeWorld server for clients to connect to -- this can be especially useful for running mods -- then check out mvdsv 0.29: http://qw-dev.net/projects/mvdsv/files

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The whole "way it was intended to be played" thing is such a dumb argument because it completely misses the point that people enjoy different things, different ways.

That entire argument is 100% prime certified bullshit. If you honestly believe that Doom should only be played as iD originally intended, why are you even playing new levels at all?

It just reeks of insecurity. It's okay to just say that you don't like it, or that it doesn't combine well with your favourite levels, but to argue that it's somehow a mod too far? Pull the other one - it's got bells on.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 29, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

That entire argument is 100% prime certified bullshit. If you honestly believe that Doom should only be played as iD originally intended, why are you even playing new levels at all?

It just reeks of insecurity. It's okay to just say that you don't like it, or that it doesn't combine well with your favourite levels, but to argue that it's somehow a mod too far? Pull the other one - it's got bells on.
As a mod author myself, while I do agree that people should play things how they want to, I think it's a common courtesy to at least try and play it once through as the author made it, if you can. There's a similar issue in the Duke community; there's a HUGE difference in playing Classic mode and playing with the HRP; things that look great in one look terrible in the other (I'm no purist, but at the same time I think 2D FPS should stay 2D since your mind fills in the gaps when it comes to the creature's movement; with 3D models you don't get that so you kind of remember that the AI is pretty dumb) Somebody reviewed my level and used the HRP even though I said it wasn't designed with it in mind in the readme file; I still got a good review but I felt a bit frustrated that it was being reviewed with something that I felt seriously changed the map's aesthetics in a negative way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Graf Zahl's site still links to something from 2010 as being the latest version of GZDoom (1.5.06) despite GZDoom 1.6.00 being old news already. (And being online, but you have to copy the URL from the download link, and change "5.06" to "6.00" to get the true latest version...)

Holy gently caress what :psyduck:

This loving rules, I'm playing Memorial with Project MSX(which has stopped development it looks like?). It's completely not Doom whatsoever but it is loving awesome. I'm doing an iron man run.

I just wish there were one for the original Doom.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dominic White posted:

iD explicitly intended for people to add new levels. :smugdog:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I sent this, let me know if you get it, if not, check your spam folder for something from fren at outlook.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.

The pistol start one is super useful, thanks.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've noticed there's a demographic in the Doom community that gets so angry when people build maps using, for example, GZDoom features. Like it's an affront to the entire concept of Doom. I've never understood this.

In some cases, I can see the argument, because if you change the gameplay too much you might as well just play another game instead of Doom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

In some cases, I can see the argument, because if you change the gameplay too much you might as well just play another game instead of Doom.

I don't understand how that argument is supposed to make sense. At what point does "you might as well just play another game" come in? Like, if I make a mod that adds CoD-style gameplay I might as well play CoD? What if you're changing the gameplay "too much" to create an experience you can't find in other games?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WickedIcon posted:

In my mind that's exactly what I'm doing when I install major gameplay mods for Doom.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I love how Brutal Doom spurs these cyclical discussions every month on the purity of Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

The only problem is that it's generally directed at WADs that are basically Doom maps with more detail. Or an actual setting. The GZDoom WADs that make you say, "This is radical, it's like I'm not even playing Doom any more!" aren't particularly common.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What would you guys recommend as radical gameplay mods? Stuff like Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom counts for my purposes. I just want more crazy stuff people have done with Doom, especially stuff that works on the stock maps.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What would you guys recommend as radical gameplay mods? Stuff like Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom counts for my purposes. I just want more crazy stuff people have done with Doom, especially stuff that works on the stock maps.
Æons of Death :)

So yeah, speaking of radical gameplay mods, I just now watched the demo for speedrunning in Portal Mode (part of ÆoD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlGJ8-RRT8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Samsara is pretty neat. It lets you play as Duke Nukem and also some other characters that aren't Duke Nukem.