Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I've been driving the turbo Yaris for almost 4 years and was starting to look at a replacement in the Focus ST but that Fiesta ST has me hot in the britches. Here's hoping they come at a reasonable price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Unless anything has changed, the Wagon isn't slated for US release. :(

Why do we even ask anymore? :qq:

Throatwarbler posted:

Mazda6 diesel rant
I don't know if urea is related to nitrous oxides, or if they're the same thing, but

"Mazda's article on their diesel stuff posted:

With the world's lowest diesel-engine compression ratio, this clean, highly-efficient diesel engine will comply with strict exhaust gas regulations globally without the aid of expensive NOx (nitrous oxides) aftertreatment systems.
Seems to me like they're trying to avoid all that add-on stuff that makes diesel VW's so much more expensive.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 29, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

quote is not edit :argh:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

New KIA Sorento bowed in LA today, check out the headlights:

Hmm, where have I seen these before?

They almost look copy-pasted from the facelift 9-3. There's no telling if KIA actually stole the styling, but then again, they are also responsible for this abomination

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Friar Zucchini posted:

I don't know if urea is related to nitrous oxides, or if they're the same thing, but
Seems to me like they're trying to avoid all that add-on stuff that makes diesel VW's so much more expensive.

Yeah, the big deal about Skyactiv-D is that it's supposed to be able to pass CARB standards without Urea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my. Oh my goodness. Could my next car be... a Buick?! :psyduck:

I hope mine will be!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

New KIA Sorento bowed in LA today, check out the headlights:

Hmm, where have I seen these before?

They almost look copy-pasted from the facelift 9-3. There's no telling if KIA actually stole the styling, but then again, they are also responsible for this abomination

Yes, that sure is a generic headlight.

Seriously, Kia design as headed by Peter Schreyer is probably one of the best in the industry right now, and the design feature you're focusing on is stuck onto an SUV that looks nothing like a Saab in any way.

Also, that headlight is a clear variant of the design on the Sorento that dates back to 2009 for their domestic market.

Which itself is based on the front-end shared by other Kias such as the Kia Forte, which entered production at nearly the same time as the facelifted Saab.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 29, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm not about to start a war over a loving headlight, but coincidence or not, there's no denying that the resemblance is remarkable, from the cluster arrangement to the side reflector and the LED "eyebrow." Fancy headlights are the new black and it just seems derivative, regardless of where the inspiration came from.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm not about to start a war over a loving headlight, but coincidence or not, there's no denying that the resemblance is remarkable, from the cluster arrangement to the side reflector and the LED "eyebrow." Fancy headlights are the new black and it just seems derivative, regardless of where the inspiration came from.

No, you're wrong. The cluster arrangement is the same as in the Kia that came out at basically the same time and, indeed, is basically the same arrangement used in every other headlight that's laid out like that (which there's a huge number of). LED eyebrows are another really common feature that was around way before Saab put it on their car, and are found now in basically every other new car design. The side reflector design is 100% identical to basically every other side reflector ever.

The headlight on the Saab isn't even 'fancy.' That's the whole thing with their design philosophy - they're conspicuously less stylized and more about simple, practical linear forms. Which means they're going to bear a lot of similarity to most other headlights since putting the projector elements/bulbs in a line that wraps around the corner is the most obvious way to design that part. Which is why the design basically looks the same as the one on the Civic or the Kia or the many other executions of that design.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In other once-respected-nameplates-driven-into-the-ground-by-GM news, the new Impala pricing is out.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014-chevrolet-impala-gets-price-hike.html

Oh good, $28k for a 4,000lb full size sedan with a 180hp 4 cylinder engine/6 speed auto. I will definitely buy it over a Dodge Charger V6/8 speed for the same price.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

In other once-respected-nameplates-driven-into-the-ground-by-GM news, the new Impala pricing is out.

Oh good, $28k for a 4,000lb full size sedan with a 180hp 4 cylinder engine/6 speed auto. I will definitely buy it over a Dodge Charger V6/8 speed for the same price.

Lol the V6 starts at $31k and the LTZ-trimmed V6 stickers at $37k. I mean, I know you'd never actually pay that much in real life, but that's kind of ridiculous. The LTZ is enough for a Hyundai Genesis, a V8 Charger, and within spitting distance of a Taurus SHO. Hell, just the base V6 is like $500 off from a V8 Charger.

Dunno, the old Impala was competent. Not like a desirable car or anything, and terribly out of date by the end, but it was a solid rental car.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 29, 2012

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

About the same as an SE Taurus, but with the Taurus you get either a ~290hp V6 or 240hp/270lb-ft ecoboost 4 cylinder.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know the I4s in just about every other vehicle that size are fairly competent, and return good fuel economy. Could it be a way to juice their CAFE numbers with the SS in the pipeline?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BabyMauler posted:

I don't know the I4s in just about every other vehicle that size are fairly competent, and return good fuel economy. Could it be a way to juice their CAFE numbers with the SS in the pipeline?

Which other vehicle in that size class has an I4?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You act like it has been more than 10 years since the impala had a180hp v6

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 29, 2012

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

I drove a basically brand new '11 Mazda3 2.0 for a month last year while my BMW was in the body shop. I was shocked at how bad the fuel economy was - I got something just short of 10L/100 km in it (which is about 24 mpg) in mostly highway driving.

The Miata's pretty bad too. I mean it's not too terrible when you think of it as a :rice: sportscar :rice: but really for a very light car with little power it's not very good at all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Which other vehicle in that size class has an I4?

I guess it's a replacement for the LaCrosse you use to be able to get with just the 2.4l and that took 9 seconds to get to 60. Price is about the same too. They've upped the price on the LaCrosse and bundled the I4 with the mild hybrid system now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

You act like it has been more than 10 years since the impala had a180hp v6

The W-body did end on a high note since they made the 3.6l LFX the standard engine for the last 2 years. I mildly want one so I can slap an Enterprise sticker on the back and go torque steering all over the road with 2 friends on the bench seat up front and 4 more in the trunk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess it's a replacement for the LaCrosse you use to be able to get with just the 2.4l and that took 9 seconds to get to 60. Price is about the same too. They've upped the price on the LaCrosse and bundled the I4 with the mild hybrid system now.

I'm just thinking:
Charger - no
300 - no
Taurus - yes, but ecoboost
Avalon - no
Azera - no
Maxima - no

So I'm wondering what mythical four cylinder largeish car this is competing with in Baby Mauler's mind.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm just thinking:
Charger - no
300 - no
Avalon - no
Azera - no
Maxima - no

So I'm wondering what mythical four cylinder largeish car this is competing with in Baby Mauler's mind.
All of them, in about 4 or 5 years time, when every new car will be powered by a small-displacement turbocharged engine to meet CAFE requirements.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the old Impala was competent. Not like a desirable car or anything, and terribly out of date by the end, but it was a solid rental car.

Not exactly high praise. This is what happened with the Malibu too, Chevy released an "okay-to-decent" car in a segment that's increasingly competitive. Reminds me a lot of Schumacher getting back into F1 recently and being blown away. The old champ isn't getting worse but everyone else is getting way better, way faster.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

grover posted:

All of them, in about 4 or 5 years time, when every new car will be powered by a small-displacement turbocharged engine to meet CAFE requirements.

Yeah that's what I figured. It's not like the current Impala is sought after by car enthusiasts who even know how many cylinders their engine has. The new one looks like a nicer interior, and will probably have a lot of gadgets people like, so as long as the fuel economy numbers are favorable it probably won't do too poorly. My concern would be aren't they sort of pricing themselves out of rental car fleets? I guess that's the way of new model bloat. The Malibu will just be the new Impala.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bidikyoopi posted:

Not exactly high praise. This is what happened with the Malibu too, Chevy released an "okay-to-decent" car in a segment that's increasingly competitive. Reminds me a lot of Schumacher getting back into F1 recently and being blown away. The old champ isn't getting worse but everyone else is getting way better, way faster.

I'd say it's the old Taurus effect. Put out a reasonably competitive product, then let it languish for 6-7 years with only intermittent, minor upgrades instead of committing to an aggressive update cycle like all of your competitors. In part, of course, this is because of the financial and management turmoil at the time, especially since the Impala was racking up fleet sales regardless of competitiveness and didn't have a whole lot of direct competition in its size/price bracket, but what happened to the Malibu is much less forgivable. And now, the car has gotten less competitive in every meaningful way - interior quality, powertrains, size/dimensions/packaging - even ignoring the utterly incompetent staggered launch. And compare this to still strong showings from Toyota and Honda plus the arguably segment-leading Fusion from Ford and a very strong contender from VW.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So I'm wondering what mythical four cylinder largish car this is competing with in Baby Mauler's mind.

I'm thinking weight mostly. Of all the "Small SUVs" out there Equinox, Terrain, new Rav4, new Pathfinder, CRV, and others I cant remember. They all have an I4 as the base or only engine. Not the best argument, but mostly large vehicles with I4s are going to be the new normal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It still blows my mind that a turbo I4 these days can hit 250hp with no problem, when an NA V8 from less than 10 years ago in a Mustang made about the same amount of power.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mattmofob posted:

The Fiat 500L is made in Serbia

At Zastava Automobili. :allears:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The Miata's pretty bad too. I mean it's not too terrible when you think of it as a :rice: sportscar :rice: but really for a very light car with little power it's not very good at all.

Prior to Skyactiv, Mazda was simply down on fuel mileage compared to any comparable make/model. They seem to want to tune every car like it's a rotary - rich as hell.

The Midniter posted:

It still blows my mind that a turbo I4 these days can hit 250hp with no problem, when an NA V8 from less than 10 years ago in a Mustang made about the same amount of power.

More importantly, 250-260hp turbo fours are the realm of common commuter cars now. Even five or six years ago, you only saw that kind of power from a four cylinder in a niche-market hot hatch; now you're seeing them replace six cylinder engines in all kinds of mass-market cars.

Of course, the V8 comparison is slightly unfair; a naturally aspirated mod motor has pretty much always been a bad joke. Even when it came out in 1996, it had less power than the outgoing 302, and that was at a time when everyone else was starting to ratchet power levels up consistently instead of declining or holding steady like in the malaise era.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Midniter posted:

I'll be impressed when they make the power an LS1 did in 1997. :colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Midniter posted:

Ten years ago I was driving around in my fathers Nissan 200SX which was a 2l turbo with 250hp. It wasn't even a new engine at the time, the SR20DET had been around for another ten or so years before that.

They have become a lot more common in the mean time though, especially outside of Japan.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm just thinking:
Charger - no
300 - no
Avalon - no
Azera - no
Maxima - no

As was mentioned there are CUV/SUV's like the Kia Sorento that are offered with a 191hp 2.4L I4 and are around 4,000lbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kill me now posted:

As was mentioned there are CUV/SUV's like the Kia Sorento that are offered with a 191hp 2.4L I4 and are around 4,000lbs.

Yeah but, to return to the point a bit, a 4-cylinder Sorento MSRPs for $23k instead of $28k. Way more reasonable. For the price of that Impala, you could get an Ecoboost I4 Taurus that has a ton more power and likely similar gas mileage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ehh, they can MSRP the Impala whatever they want, doesn't stop the fact there will be thousands sitting on the hood when the sell.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skipdogg posted:

Ehh, they can MSRP the Impala whatever they want, doesn't stop the fact there will be thousands sitting on the hood when the sell.

True. Also, do a lot of government/corporate auto fleet buyers have "minimum $x off of MSRP" requirements like they do for other types of equipment purchases?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

The Midniter posted:

With CAFE standards in place and a goal of 54 MPG by 2025, it's like automakers are suddenly realizing "Hey, if we take these turbo things, strap them to a 4 cylinder, and add a few features (like VVT & cylinder deactivation), we can reach these goals. Oh, the horsepower is going up as a side-effect? Cool... Another marketing point."

Devyl fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's more direct injection and other advanced materials and poo poo allowing Ford to use much higher compression ratios than you'd normally see in a turbocharged engine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

grover posted:

Yes, unlike the NA 2.5 in the Impala.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

rscott posted:

It's more direct injection and other advanced materials and poo poo allowing Ford to use much higher compression ratios than you'd normally see in a turbocharged engine.

Advanced materials like cast iron blocks for the 3cyl ecoboost :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Laserface posted:

Advanced materials like cast iron blocks for the 3cyl ecoboost :v:

I heard an interview with Ford engineers and they said the iron block was done on purpose in order to make the engine smaller, and going to Al would not have saved any weight. They also went to a conventional timing belt instead of a chain in order to reduce drivetrain friction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love how half the marketing blurb for the 3cyl is "lighter, less components, less material", but it's a £1k extra option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Throatwarbler posted:

I heard an interview with Ford engineers and they said the iron block was done on purpose in order to make the engine smaller, and going to Al would not have saved any weight. They also went to a conventional timing belt instead of a chain in order to reduce drivetrain friction.

Eh, most of the magic these days is found in the head anyways.