Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

redreader posted:

Hob_Gadling: I bought the pioneer center and the polk front/rear by mistake. I thought I'd bought all polk. Will it make a terrible difference or can I just mix and match like that?
Conventional wisdom is that it's pretty important that your front 3 speakers "match"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Finally pulled the trigger on my sub set-up. I was trying to keep my budget under 300 dollars for one, but AVS Forums had some pretty glowing endorsements for the Dayton Sub-1200 in the under $300 category, and they're only 100 bucks a pop. I figured I might as well get a pair of them, and sacrifice the lows for balance.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629

It's not going to hit the lows all the way, but it's got some decent customization options. I'll just dial them in, and I'm assuming I'll be more than happy with them picking up the slack where my front three drop off. Plus I can Audyssey it as well. I'll post what I think of them once they're broke in. I still haven't heard a sub that could stay flat at 20hz, and for now, it's probably best that I keep it that way. Or else I'll be eating Ramen noodles for a while. :getin:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hob_Gadling posted:

For the asking price of €2950 per pair and sender unit there's a hell of a lot of choice. The speakers aren't bad, but they're certainly against some tough competition.

I'm sorry, tough competition against other wired speakers in that price range or against other wireless options? I'm just starting to look at speakers again after 10 something years so I don't know what's out there.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

I'm sorry, tough competition against other wired speakers in that price range or against other wireless options?

Wired. As far as I can tell, the Xeo 5 speakers are based on Dynaudio Excite X32 which retail for ~€800 less. Given that the cost of wires is a rounding error at that level, you can buy a lot of electronics for €800. You also have a lot of choice with other brands at that budget.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wireless speakers are poo poo. Running hidden wires isn't hard, and you get a way better speaker for your money if they don't have to include an amp, power stuff, wireless receiver etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

redreader posted:

Hob_Gadling: I bought the pioneer center and the polk front/rear by mistake. I thought I'd bought all polk. Will it make a terrible difference or can I just mix and match like that?

I would try to return the center and get a matching one. You've spent a decent amount of money only to end up with it not exactly how you wanted. Different tweeters sound different, and it might match, but won't be perfect, and the mismatch brand will always bug you.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Right now my home theater system consists of one of these these outputting to a couple of decent bookshelf speakers. I'd like to add a subwoofer. Can I buy a powered subwoofer (like the PSW10) and have it all work together nicely? Or would I need to rig something up more complicated? At some point in the future, I might be interested in getting a turntable and playing vinyl through the setup if that matters.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Ronald McReagan posted:

Can I buy a powered subwoofer (like the PSW10) and have it all work together nicely?

As long as the sub has speaker level inputs and outputs (like PSW10 does), it's easy. Connect your amp to sub and sub to speakers.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

As long as the sub has speaker level inputs and outputs (like PSW10 does), it's easy. Connect your amp to sub and sub to speakers.

Cool, thanks!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's actually the way a lot of 2 channel stereo enthusiasts set it up. It allows for easy adjustment to make the sub blend in with the speakers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I posted about this a few months back in the 2-channel thread, but given my circumstances as a shopper, I figure it's worth asking here too.

I've got a vinyl/laptop stereo setup that I've cobbled together from secondhand parts. It's served me well for the last year, but I'll be moving into a much bigger space at the end of the month. Along with the added space that I want to fill with sweet noise, I'm working to make this apartment look a bit more grown-up in terms of furniture and decor than the post-college hovel I currently live in. As such, I want to make my stereo a focal point. I have a snazzy cabinet picked out but I've been looking for some new speakers for a while and I'm a bit stumped so far.

My current setup:

-An early '80s Vector Research turntable- It's great but it's my dad's and he wants it back. I'm replacing it over the holidays with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, in neon green :swoon:, for good measure.

-A Nakamichi 'Receiver 2', circa 1991-92. I inherited this one and it sounds fantastic. I know it's not quite from the fabled era of Nakamichi history, but it's not quite from the era in which they turned to poo poo either- it's right in between. As far as relevant specs go: Power output: 55 watts per channel into 8 ohms, Frequency response: 20 to 20,000Hz, Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (phono), 150mV (line), Signal to noise ratio: 78dB (phono).

If possible, I'd love to keep this where it is. There doesn't seem to be almost any information on these receivers online, but I've seen them go for $100-$350 in the last year, and they cost a good $700 in their day. It's a solid piece of kit. That said, I'm afraid that the power might be a bit on the low end for "house filling sound." It's plenty loud in its current place but it will be in a room almost 3 times as big in the new apartment.

-A pair of Technics SB-K14 three way speakers ($16 at Goodwill). These things are massive and they look decidedly old-school. Unfortunately, they're also pretty chintzy and their output's definitely on the wimpy side. They were in maybe the middle tier of the low-end in their day. That said, at 92dB/Watt at 8 ohms, they're more efficient than your average bargain basement speaker- which is a good thing for this amp, I think (I honestly know very little practically about pairing speakers with an amp). They've sounded solid in their small room, but I can tell that this won't necessarily translate to a bigger space.

To make a long story short: I want some speakers that will pair well with my 20 year old 55 WPC Japanese stereo receiver. Am I right in assuming that trying to run proper 3 way towers will prove a bit much for the Nak? I've been leaning toward a setup that includes a powered sub with speaker level ins/outs and a pair of 2 way towers or standmounts.

All the earlier stuff about decor and making the stereo a focal point? I like attractive looking speakers. I like woodgrains (fake or real) and browns and I hate copious amounts of obvious plastic (ie: the old Polk Monitor series). I also seem to have a thing for speakers that are kinda off the beaten path- as in not the same 5 brands that Newegg and Best Buy have. However, I've also got a budget of $500 (+/-$200) to stick to.

As such, I was looking at stuff like:

-The Mordaunt Short Carnival series.

-Fluance

-The new Polk monitor series (although I'm not a fan of the silver colored speakers).

Any and all suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hi Guys, I'm moving in with my girlfriend in a couple of months, and alas there is no room for my beloved TSI 300 tower speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with bookshelf speakers in the 100-300 dollar range? I already have everything else, just need bookshelf speakers for space.

The TSI 300s will languish in a garage until we have a bigger place. Then they will be free to roar once more.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Utter newbie question:

My Logitech 5.1 system died, and I'm looking to build a replacement setup starting with this, eventually leading back up to 5.1. I'll hook them up to my PC, so I'm assuming I'll need a basic audio amplifier as well - any recommendations for (building?) one and a DIY subwoofer kit as well? Budget-wise, ~600€ would be the sweet spot.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 4, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

A couple ideas come to mind. First, the receiver should have pre-outs so you could get a power amp and use any pair of speakers you wanted to.

The obvious speaker choice is Klipsch, especially if you find speakers from around the same era. Maybe a pair of Klipsch Heresy would suit you?

Another choice that might work would be some pre-1980 vintage Marantz speakers. Maybe HD770 or HD880, if you can spare the space and deal with the looks. May be hard to find in good shape, which is a shame.

If you want modern stuff: Magnepan (you really should check these out if you go with a power amp), Gallo, Tannoy Revolution series. Maybe B&W 685.

quote:

Am I right in assuming that trying to run proper 3 way towers will prove a bit much for the Nak?

Depends completely on the design of the speakers. Some need more power than others.

threeagainstfour posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with bookshelf speakers in the 100-300 dollar range?

Polk TSi 100/200 is the obvious choice if you like the floorstanding version.

Welmu posted:

I'll hook them up to my PC, so I'm assuming I'll need a basic audio amplifier as well

Harman Kardon HK 3390 or Onkyo 8255 should do the trick. If you want to build your own amp check out http://www.41hz.com

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Harman Kardon HK 3390 or Onkyo 8255 should do the trick.

Unless I'm missing something, aren't those both stereo amplifiers, so 5.1 is not supported?

Is there an amp that simply has a TOSLINK input and six outputs? No need for remotes, bluetooth, iPod support, FM tuners, "industrial design" or any bells and whistles whatsoever.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 4, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Welmu posted:

Unless I'm missing something, aren't those both stereo amplifiers, so 5.1 is not supported?

gently caress, I'm sorry. I somehow read you wanted a stereo amp.

How about this one instead?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hob_Gadling posted:

A couple ideas come to mind. First, the receiver should have pre-outs so you could get a power amp and use any pair of speakers you wanted to.

The obvious speaker choice is Klipsch, especially if you find speakers from around the same era. Maybe a pair of Klipsch Heresy would suit you?

Another choice that might work would be some pre-1980 vintage Marantz speakers. Maybe HD770 or HD880, if you can spare the space and deal with the looks. May be hard to find in good shape, which is a shame.

If you want modern stuff: Magnepan (you really should check these out if you go with a power amp), Gallo, Tannoy Revolution series. Maybe B&W 685.

Aw, man. I should probably have mentioned that I'm moving to another city for work and grad school. This move's eaten up a lot of my savings- and I'm not gonna be drawing much in the way of income (to say nothing of disposable income) for a while- probably 2-3 years.

I really don't want to go the separates route. In part, it adds complexity to my setup. It's also money that comes out of my budget- and something I probably couldn't justifiably afford. The Nakamichi has cost me a total of $0. Dropping another $300 or whatever on an amp means less money for speakers too. But if you really think it's the best option, and you've got a suggestion for how I could do the amp and the speakers for less than ~$800 that doesn't involve waiting for a godsend vintage find, I'd be totally open to the idea.

That aside, I don't have the room for those big Marantz speakers anyway- or really the time to find a pair in good shape- and a pair of Klipsch Heresy would practically double my budget, and then some. Let's table those options for when I'm at a different place in my life. I'm 99% sure the receiver alone would never be able to run a pair of Maggies well, so those get tabled too- though I'd love to get a pair at some point down the road.

I'm still going to be living in an apartment- so speakers that can fill a large hall with loud music are kind of overkill, not to mention a police visit waiting to happen. I'd be comfortable with moderately loud speakers that sound really good that I could maybe put in a bedroom/office setup sometime in the future.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind.

There's a guy near me selling off his <year-old B&W 685s for about $80 less than retail. It seems like they'd just about fit the receiver's power capabilities (88 db sensitivity- assuming this guide is correct). They only go down to about ~50 Hz, so I imagine that a subwoofer would be in order if I went this route. Would any of the Polk Audio ones on Newegg work out well? The PSW505 is $250 and the PSW10 is $80- I know they're not the best things in the world, but they're arguably the best affordable ones- I could always upgrade later.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2012

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Polk TSi 100/200 is the obvious choice if you like the floorstanding version.

Thanks, I'll grab a pair and post a trip report!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Any thoughts on the Denon AVR-1713? I'm looking into my first home audio stuff, mostly waiting for sales, and the 1713 came up at $380 CAD at Futureshop. It has the Audyssey MultEQ XT the recommended 709 has, enough HDMI inputs for all my :pcgaming:, and 80 Watts / channel which seems to be the norm. DLNA over wifi would be nice but I got a PS3 that handles that. Same with music directly from my phone but I got a cable, stereo to RCA iirc,for that too.

I don't have any (good) speakers yet, I've mostly been eying sales and trying to research what's available, who's selling it, and at what prices.

Another general question: If I have a HDMI 1.4 compatable TV and receiver hooked up and take my ol' N64 and plug it into the TV over composite will the audio return signal let the N64 play through my receiver speakers? I don't think I want an upscaling receiver to try and keep time delays to a minimum (assuming its even an issue).

*edit*
vvvv :drat:

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 8, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Any thoughts on the Denon AVR-1713? I'm looking into my first home audio stuff, mostly waiting for sales, and the 1713 came up at $380 CAD at Futureshop. It has the Audyssey MultEQ XT the recommended 709 has, enough HDMI inputs for all my :pcgaming:, and 80 Watts / channel which seems to be the norm. DLNA over wifi would be nice but I got a PS3 that handles that. Same with music directly from my phone but I got a cable, stereo to RCA iirc,for that too.

I don't have any (good) speakers yet, I've mostly been eying sales and trying to research what's available, who's selling it, and at what prices.

Another general question: If I have a HDMI 1.4 compatable TV and receiver hooked up and take my ol' N64 and plug it into the TV over composite will the audio return signal let the N64 play through my receiver speakers? I don't think I want an upscaling receiver to try and keep time delays to a minimum (assuming its even an issue).

I started following in 2000 as a kid because I loved that rag tag veteran team running trains on people. If only I could go back and tell kid me to turn that loving game off. Eat poo poo all of you. It's all fun and games for the first 5 years, but it gets old after a DECADE.

Just hook the video

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volkerball posted:

I started following in 2000 as a kid because I loved that rag tag veteran team running trains on people. If only I could go back and tell kid me to turn that loving game off. Eat poo poo all of you. It's all fun and games for the first 5 years, but it gets old after a DECADE.

Just hook the video

I think I just poo poo myself. Best advice.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Well, my pioneer vsx1021 broke just 11 days out of warranty, and repairing will cost more than a new one, even though the issue is apparently just the face of the unit.

I'm not going to buy a 1022, any recommendations for a good receiver? I've got a 5.1 setup, and aside from at least 4 Hdmi inputs and speaker terminals, I just want something good and reliable that will last more than one loving year. I'll spend 500-1000 if necessary. I've got Polk monitor 30s for fronts and tsis for center/rears and a psw10. I pretty much just watch movies and tv.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 11, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Well, my pioneer vsx1021 broke just 11 days out of warranty, and repairing will cost more than a new one, even though the issue is apparently just the face of the unit.

I'm not going to buy a 1022, any recommendations for a good receiver? I've got a 5.1 setup, and aside from at least 4 Hdmi inputs and speaker terminals, I just want something good and reliable that will last more than one loving year. I'll spend 500-1000 if necessary. I've got Polk monitor 30s for fronts and tsis for center/rears and a psw10. I pretty much just watch movies and tv.

The Onkyo TX NR818 is the best receiver you can get at the moment without spending $2000. If you do some searching and with coupon codes it can be had for somewhere around $650 before shipping or tax through Amazon I believe. Check avsforum in the 818 thread.

I got one back in the summer and its pretty stout. I'm powering tower speakers with dual 8" woofers each and big center and surround speakers and it goes loud and low without breaking a sweat.

It also has Audessey XT 32 which is the best room calibration system you can get for a normal consumer product at the moment.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
That looks fantastic, and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep my eye out for a deal, thanks for the recommendation.

I love that it has 3 1-star reviews on amazon due to not having gapless playback.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That looks fantastic, and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep my eye out for a deal, thanks for the recommendation.

I love that it has 3 1-star reviews on amazon due to not having gapless playback.

The network streaming stuff is poo poo. I would never use a receiver to stream media.

Oh, also it has pre-outs if you want to run additional amps. I think with pre-outs you can go up to 11.2 channel.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I'm happy enough with 5.1, I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated media room. The wife would definitely kill me if there were suddenly 13 speakers in our living room.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm happy enough with 5.1, I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated media room. The wife would definitely kill me if there were suddenly 13 speakers in our living room.

True, however if you ever want to expand and use seperate amps for hilarious sound levels, the possibility is there. Also, 4 of those channels can be used in other rooms as it supports 3 zones.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

I think I just poo poo myself. Best advice.

:stare: Awful android app. Took me about a minute to remember that the top half was supposed to be in a TFF gameday thread and wasn't somehow related to him talking about N64.

What kind of options are there for having 6 floorstanding speakers? Long story short, I've got 3 JBL Studio 180's. I'm thinking of snagging 1 more and using a pair as my rears and a pair as my fronts. But eventually, I'd look at buying a pair of some higher tier JBL fronts.

Would the balance be off if I used a floorstanding speaker for every spot other than center channel, or would I be better off running 4 in the front, 2 on the sides, and 2 bookshelves in the rear?

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 16, 2012

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So I just ditched my old 5.1 setup because of my new space and new receiver. I'm currently running two front Pioneer speakers (SP-BS21), a Pioneer sub (SW-8) and a Yamaha receiver (Yamaha RX-V471). It sounds awesome so far (YPAO auto calibration) but in movies, dialogue is pretty quiet compared to the rest of the parts. I've always heard that a center speaker is only worthwhile in a 5.1 setup and that 3.1 is pointless but now I'm seeing conflicting information. Would adding a center speaker help to remedy this or is there some sort of other solution?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

So I just ditched my old 5.1 setup because of my new space and new receiver. I'm currently running two front Pioneer speakers (SP-BS21), a Pioneer sub (SW-8) and a Yamaha receiver (Yamaha RX-V471). It sounds awesome so far (YPAO auto calibration) but in movies, dialogue is pretty quiet compared to the rest of the parts. I've always heard that a center speaker is only worthwhile in a 5.1 setup and that 3.1 is pointless but now I'm seeing conflicting information. Would adding a center speaker help to remedy this or is there some sort of other solution?

Make sure the audio is set to stereo and not surround sound. Hopefully that will remove the quiet dialogue.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

kloa posted:

Make sure the audio is set to stereo and not surround sound. Hopefully that will remove the quiet dialogue.

Do you mean through the receiver or device? I have the receiver set to "straight" and have every audio option checked for HDMI on my PS3.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Do you mean through the receiver or device? I have the receiver set to "straight" and have every audio option checked for HDMI on my PS3.

If everything is going through the receiver, then try setting the receiver to stereo. If whatever device you are using to play movies (PS3, BluRay player) has a setting for stereo, try setting those also.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volkerball posted:

:stare: Awful android app. Took me about a minute to remember that the top half was supposed to be in a TFF gameday thread and wasn't somehow related to him talking about N64.

What kind of options are there for having 6 floorstanding speakers? Long story short, I've got 3 JBL Studio 180's. I'm thinking of snagging 1 more and using a pair as my rears and a pair as my fronts. But eventually, I'd look at buying a pair of some higher tier JBL fronts.

Would the balance be off if I used a floorstanding speaker for every spot other than center channel, or would I be better off running 4 in the front, 2 on the sides, and 2 bookshelves in the rear?

Floor standing speakers work well as surrounds, the only issue is Dolby and THX recommend your surrounds be mounted 5 - 7' off the floor in order to have a clear line to every seating position.

Floor standing speakers will have to fight with chair backs etc to get sound to you.

There is a large number of people who run matching floor speakers across the front because they don't like the idea that the center channel is slightly different than the fronts.

I could see this being an issue if your front speakers are big and efficient and the center is some tiny thing.

If you have the ability to do 3 matching speakers across the front, go for it. I'd rather do that than 2 for the fronts and 2 for the surrounds.

I would do 3 matching fronts, which is where all the powerful sound is sent anyways. And then do something that is convenient for the surrounds and rears if you want 7.1.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Need some help and input upgrading my system. (Long and boring ahead)

As she sits, it consists of;
Fronts: Paradigm Titans v3
Center: Paradigm CC-xxx (either 100 or 150, somewhat lacking in strength but timbre matched)
Rears: Paradigm Titans v2
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5760

I was recently given a practically BNIB Denon AVR 2307ci. My plan is to swap this into my HT system, and hook the Yamaha up to my computer in another room (2.0 for now, possibly 2.1 down the line.)

My plan is to upgrade the front stage (L-C-R), move my current centre to a center rear, keep the Titans as surrounds and move the other Titans to my 2.0 system. In that vein, I found a dirt cheap pair of paradigm 7se's on CL for $50. Cosmetically they are slightly beat up, but they sounded phenomenal, and at that price grabbed them.

My problem is, now I'm having a hard time finding a centre to pair with them. As in, what speaker model should I even be targeting, let alone finding one used. I'm not even sure they had centre speakers commonly available when these things were built.

I've got a line on a pair of Monitor 3s for $150, which I think would be easier to find a centre for (or Monitor 9s for $300).

Would these pair well enough whereas I could use a Monitor 3 as a centre for the 7se until I find an appropriate centre for the 3s? Or maybe I'll just buy both the 3s and 9s, using one 3 as a centre and just store the 2nd. Which centre would work best with either of the Monitor lines?

Also, any input on using a normal speaker instead of a centre? I've read that its much better for timbre matching, but that's usually when all three fronts are the exact same speaker. Would my hypothetical upgrade path still work in this vein, or would it be better to just buy a centre? I'd also run into the problem of having all three tweaters on the same plane (but I'd probably run into this problems with a centre speaker anyways, as my tv is wall mounted fairly low.....I'll have to add a slight tilt to whatever I do).

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
I could use some advice on a subwoofer. Currently I'm using 2 microbes that I built myself. I'm not really interested in building anymore speakers at the current time as my dad isn't in the best of health and he had helped me to build the boxes for the microbes, and I don't really have access to the equipment. I also just got a bonus at work, and I'm looking to spend a little of it and save the rest. My budget would ideally be $200, but I would be willing to fudge it a little bit if the difference was really significant.

The other thing to consider is that I'm using those speakers as the ultimate computer speakers at the moment, and a sub would most likely inhabit right next to my desk. There may be a point in the future when they would do actual home theater duty.

So far, I have found these at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

I have also looked at the Dayton sub-1200 in the past and considered it as well.

Is there anything I'm missing or not thinking about, and which option would be best for my needs

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since clicking anything newegg forces the browser of to forward to the homepage of newegg.CA, I can't tell what exactly you're looking at.

However, the best bang for the buck deal on off the shelf subwoofer is currently the Klipsch RW-12D through Newegg for $299.

It's a steal at that price.

http://www.klipsch.com/rw-12d-subwoofer

I havent heard it myself but I have owned 2 lesser models of Klipsch 12" subs, this one pushes out more watts and has more excursion, and extends down to the mid 20's which makes a big difference over anything else in this price range.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need some help here guys.

My dad wants to get some decent sound into the living room. We're just using the built in TV speakers and they're AWFUL. He was thinking about getting a soundbar, but I think we can do better than that.

This system would mostly be used for movies and games, and occasionally for music. Don't have much of a budget, maybe £500-600 or so. I was thinking about starting off with a decent receiver and a pair of front speakers and adding as time goes on.

Initially, I was thinking about the Onkyo TX-NR515. I think it may be overkill, but I've read that it's a great receiver, and I do want the ability to scale up in the future without having to buy another one.
Speakers are harder to find over here, and they're expensive as hell. I was eyeing these: http://goo.gl/0Ycuu

I don't really have any idea what I'm doing. Please help!

Don't know if this helps, but here's the layout of the living/dining room I'm working with. Measurements are in feet.
Main entrance is at the bottom left. The double doors are to the back yard. Dining table as you enter the room, then the sofas in an 'L' shape. The TV is on the wall with a unit underneath.

angor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 21, 2012

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So I know soundbars are not the best but they do offer me a simple, non-space intensive effort that will sound a lot better then my TV Speakers. Are there any good mid-range soundbars I should look at?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Does anyone know anything about ARC?
I just got a fancy new LG TV that has it and so does my sony AVR.
The TV calls the AVR an unknown device and I've connected it to the arc hdmi port and it seems to be working, but I can only get 2.0 LPCM through the ARC channel. Is this some restrictive DRM bullshit that they decided to add? I mean isn't the whole point of HDMI to shove DRM on the whole connection?

I really want to put my PS3 on a different port than my AVR as I like controlling the Ps3 from my remote via HDMI-CEC but doing so hijacks my HDMI 1 input and automagically turns on the ps3 (which I might not be using as I have a computer and an xbox also hooked up to the reciever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

weaaddar posted:

Is this some restrictive DRM bullshit that they decided to add?

Yes.

BexGU: check out Yamaha soundbars.

Angor: Check out the Dolby speaker placement guides. If you go with 3.1 use 5.1 without surround speakers as template. Also, where do you live? UK?