Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

scuz posted:

Successfully created my first batch of mayo and now I have 2 cups' worth of the stuff and no idea what to do besides a bunch of sandwiches. It's got chili powder in it, but the chili part is pretty mild (not much heat, a little smokey). Tempura-type shrimp would be awesome to dip it in, but after that, I'm clueless :(

Tuna/Chicken salad style things.

Throw some sriracha in it and make it spicy mayo for... anything really I guess.

Deviled eggs. Potato salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
aioli for fries

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

scuz posted:

Successfully created my first batch of mayo and now I have 2 cups' worth of the stuff and no idea what to do besides a bunch of sandwiches. It's got chili powder in it, but the chili part is pretty mild (not much heat, a little smokey). Tempura-type shrimp would be awesome to dip it in, but after that, I'm clueless :(

Chipoltle, powdered or whole-in-adobo. Wasabi powder.

Unless I need it for a recipe, I only ever make 1 cup at a time of mayo... it only lasts 2 days! Well, I guess you could still eat it after 3-4 days in the fridge, but it loses all that magical freshness.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
How long does bacon grease stay good in the fridge?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jmcrofts posted:

You're supposed to keep it in the fridge?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

mich posted:

Here are a few:

2 parts oyster sauce
1 part fish sauce
2-4 parts minced lemongrass (I like a lot)
1 part sugar (or caramelized sugar)
Garlic chili paste to taste
optionally, 1 part scallion oil (heat up some neutral oil until sizzling and then throw in a bunch of chopped scallions)

--

2 parts soy sauce
1 part sesame oil
1 part rice vinegar
1 part minced aromatics (garlic and ginger or one of either)
1 part sliced scallions
can add some sugar if you want it a bit sweet

--

3 parts soy sauce
2 part vegetable oil
1 part brown sugar
1 part fish sauce
1 part lime juice or vinegar
aromatics and spices depending on your mood: some combination of garlic, ginger, curry powder

Thank you! Ended up doing some oyster, fish, soy, sugar, and garlic. I wish I had scallions or lemongrass, I would have done the first one.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FishBulb posted:

You're supposed to keep it in the fridge?

No idea but I figured better safe than sorry.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jmcrofts posted:

No idea but I figured better safe than sorry.

Well I leave mine on the counter for a long time and nobody is dead yet.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Forever. Cover it with some plastic wrap so it doesn't soak up odors.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

So I have a moose heart in the freezer. What should I do with it?

Maybe Anticuchos? I've had it at Peruvian restaurants with beef heart. Should work for moose.

Garlic (a lot)
Soaked, deseeded Chiles (or aji panca if you can get it)
Vinegar
Oil
Salt

Blend into a paste, apply to thinly sliced heart, marinate.
Meanwhile prepare bamboo skewers for kebabs and charcoal for grilling.
Thread heart onto skewers. Grill.
Baste with the extra (or leftover if you're not squeamish) marinade thinned with oil. I would go medium to med-rare.
Serve with grilled corn and potatoes.

I haven't made it myself, but this Google recipe looks about right.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What's the best mortar & pestle I can get for <$40? I want to get my roommate a christmas gift that'll last.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleChunks posted:

Forever. Cover it with some plastic wrap so it doesn't soak up odors.

I have it in a mason jar so I think it'll be ok. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm out of extra virgin olive oil so it's time to buy more. Apparently 99% of the olive oil sold in stores is adulterated with motor oil by the Italian mafia or something? In any case I live in California and I've heard that Californian olive oils are better, or maybe just not awful, or they don't enrich the Godfather or something. Assuming I don't want to spend $800, are there any brands I should be buying or is my whole "just buy whatever's on sale" strategy more or less fine?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Internet Meme posted:

What's the best mortar & pestle I can get for <$40? I want to get my roommate a christmas gift that'll last.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-capacity/dp/B000163N6G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354160359&sr=8-4&keywords=mortar+pestle

Check local Asian grocery stores to avoid the shipping cost.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PatMarshall posted:

Maybe Anticuchos? I've had it at Peruvian restaurants with beef heart. Should work for moose.

Garlic (a lot)
Soaked, deseeded Chiles (or aji panca if you can get it)
Vinegar
Oil
Salt

Blend into a paste, apply to thinly sliced heart, marinate.
Meanwhile prepare bamboo skewers for kebabs and charcoal for grilling.
Thread heart onto skewers. Grill.
Baste with the extra (or leftover if you're not squeamish) marinade thinned with oil. I would go medium to med-rare.
Serve with grilled corn and potatoes.

I haven't made it myself, but this Google recipe looks about right.

This is the best thing, by the way.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Are there any cheeses similar to goat cheese other than, well, goat cheese?

EDIT: Or some goat cheese recommendations?

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 29, 2012

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

scuz posted:

Mix in a bit of miso, coat a fillet of fish with it and stick it under the broiler, but on the lowest rack in the oven. This is my new favourite thing to make and eat. It sounds weird and kind of gross, but it's amazing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I done gots me a hunk of chuck roast and no idea what I should do to slow cook it. I've been doing slow cooked beef recently that has amounted to "throw in garlic, onion, carrot, potatoes, sear meat with a ton of the herbs on the outside, deglaze pan with red wine, put all in slow cooker and cook"

It's great but I want to try something new. Any ideas?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm out of extra virgin olive oil so it's time to buy more. Apparently 99% of the olive oil sold in stores is adulterated with motor oil by the Italian mafia or something? In any case I live in California and I've heard that Californian olive oils are better, or maybe just not awful, or they don't enrich the Godfather or something. Assuming I don't want to spend $800, are there any brands I should be buying or is my whole "just buy whatever's on sale" strategy more or less fine?
If you're asking specifically for California olive oils, McEvoy and DaVero are both good, although neither of them's going to be cheap (figure around US$75 a litre).

If you're just looking for general olive oil recommendations not specifically for California olive oils, I like Columela, Lucini Italia, and Colavita, with Colavita more or less being the low end of the `better than what you'll find in every supermarket' olive oils (for reference, you can get Colavita extra virgin for around US$30/litre from amazon). If you're really on a budget and you're not trying to get hired or laid out of the meal, I wouldn't blush to use Bertolli, Filippo Berio, Carapelli, Pompeian, or Da Vinci, but I really consider all of them just `eh'.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Are there any cheeses similar to goat cheese other than, well, goat cheese?

EDIT: Or some goat cheese recommendations?
Recommendations for what application?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just wait until you break down your first goat in there.

I'm on the slippery slope toward that, aren't I? This summer I learned to debone chickens and ducks. Lamb is the next progression.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lots of butcher paper.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Consumer reports did an article on this a few months ago. I think Kirkland (Costco) and trader joes ranked high. I've been meaning to check them out because the stuff I have is poo poo and was ranked near the bottom.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Aldi has whole frozen lobsters for 9.99 this week and I figured I would grab a few to experiment with. I've never cooked anything but tails that I shelled and sousvided with butter. How would I go about cooking whole frozen lobsters? Can I somehow thaw/quickboil/shell and then cook sousvide? I also want to make lobster rolls after I figure out how to cook the lobster.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pubic Lair posted:

Aldi has whole frozen lobsters for 9.99 this week and I figured I would grab a few to experiment with. I've never cooked anything but tails that I shelled and sousvided with butter. How would I go about cooking whole frozen lobsters? Can I somehow thaw/quickboil/shell and then cook sousvide? I also want to make lobster rolls after I figure out how to cook the lobster.

Is this regional or is it all Aldis? Cuz if it's everywhere I'm gonna have to get in on this.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Is this regional or is it all Aldis? Cuz if it's everywhere I'm gonna have to get in on this.

I think it's all aldi stores in the US. They are 18oz maine lobsters. Just check the bags, one of the ones I grabbed didn't have the heat seal at the top of the bag.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So if I were to make a big pot of beef stew (about 3-4 lunches worth) and freeze it, generally how long could I freeze it before it turns bad? I'd like to spread it out so I'm only eating it every 3 days (preferably a week) so I'm wondering if that's possible or if I would have to make smaller batches. Same question goes for soups (potato leek, chicken noodle, etc.)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

horchata posted:

So if I were to make a big pot of beef stew (about 3-4 lunches worth) and freeze it, generally how long could I freeze it before it turns bad? I'd like to spread it out so I'm only eating it every 3 days (preferably a week) so I'm wondering if that's possible or if I would have to make smaller batches. Same question goes for soups (potato leek, chicken noodle, etc.)

I've eaten frozen soups months later with no ill effects. Make as much as you have freezer space for.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Make sure all the meat is covered by the broth, or it will freezer burn. Generally you want to fill containers as much as possible to keep air out, but not so much that they pop open as the liquid expands while freezing. I like screw tops and snap-lock containers for freezing.

I dug a single-serve container of tortilla soup out of the back of my freezer a couple of months ago that was a year old, and it reheated just fine. No noticeable difference from a fresh batch.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the mayo suggestions, dudes. I ended up using a small amount of the large amount I have in a glaze for meatloaf last night which ended up pretty darned good. Looking forward to trying out all the other things too :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My tip is to expand the things you think of. Things that seem gross to put mayo on usually will actually work with good homemade mayo. Like that fish thing, if you were squeezing a bottle of mayo out for that it'd be horrifying but with a nice tangy homemade mayo I bet it's good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Homemade french fries with home made mayo is pretty awesome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Frozen lobster? As a native New Englander, that seems totally wrong. :colbert:

Where are all of our bakers? I was hoping to get some feedback on my pizza dough question:

quote:

Yesterday I bought 3 bucks worth of clay tiles at Home Depot to make some pizza. The tiles worked great, and the yeast-risen dough baked up nicely. Only one issue: the crust was just a little tough. What did I do wrong? Maybe I worked the glutens too much? Didn't let it sit long enough/too long?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
It's pretty hard to overwork gluten in a dough. I would try increasing your hydration and baking hotter if possible. I am guessing your crust is tough because by the time you get the nice char on your crust, it has dried out. If you are baking on tile just on the bottom rack, try moving the tiles to the top rack. Crank your oven as hot as it will go, then once it has gotten very hot, switch to broil. Once the broiling element is heated up all the way, slide in your pizza. If you are already doing this, you will probably need to experiment with the hydration level of your dough until you hit a sweet spot for the heat of your oven.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

My tip is to expand the things you think of. Things that seem gross to put mayo on usually will actually work with good homemade mayo. Like that fish thing, if you were squeezing a bottle of mayo out for that it'd be horrifying but with a nice tangy homemade mayo I bet it's good.

My mom's family puts mayo on just about any green vegetable that isn't salad - asparagus, broccoli, artichokes - and it's really gross with regular storebought mayo, but with a good mayo it can be pretty yummy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

California Olive Ranch.

They're house blend is great, their Miller's blend also great, and they will seasonally release single varietals.

Depending on where you live you can head to a We Olive, an olive oil specialty store, and taste/buy a shitton of single varietal oils.

http://www.weolive.com/oliveOils/listOliveOils.php

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mich posted:

dough info

Thank you! Will try for a little hotter, the dough was pretty thin.

RazorBunny posted:

My mom's family puts mayo on just about any green vegetable that isn't salad - asparagus, broccoli, artichokes - and it's really gross with regular storebought mayo, but with a good mayo it can be pretty yummy.

Is your mom's family British? In the UK, they sell this vile poo poo called "Salad Cream", and it's basically sweet, runny mayo.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Is your mom's family British? In the UK, they sell this vile poo poo called "Salad Cream", and it's basically sweet, runny mayo.

We have some British ancestry, but it's way far back. They use full-fat regular ole Hellman's mayo. Which, by the way, my grandmother still thinks is not as good as Best Foods, despite the fact that they're exactly the same and just sold under different labels on opposite coasts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After making my own mayo, the only store-bought mayo that tastes like anything to me is Kewpie (Japanese brand). It's kind of weird though, it tastes extremely savory, as if it had msg dumped in, but it doesn't have msg according to the ingredients. Anyone tried this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

After making my own mayo, the only store-bought mayo that tastes like anything to me is Kewpie (Japanese brand). It's kind of weird though, it tastes extremely savory, as if it had msg dumped in, but it doesn't have msg according to the ingredients. Anyone tried this?

Kewpie is the only storebought mayo I use for precisely this reason. It's a combination of rice vinegar they use instead of distilled white (giving it a slightly more fragrant and sweeter taste) and "Flavour Enhancer 621" which most definitely is MSG.

Nothing wrong with MSG though. Like the fight against nitra(i)tes and "funny sounding words" most of the fearmongering is pseudoscience at best stupidity at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Hey spoon-goons, I need some help. My boyfriend is really into cooking and his birthday is coming up so I want get him some cool kitchen-gear, but I'm also kind of on a budget because he had the gall to be born in mid-December. Any ideas for must-have items for an amateur-chef?

I was looking at kitchenaid-type machines but they really don't seem to be worth their money if it's not the real thing. So I want to get him several, less expensive, items like a good cast-iron pan and a real wok. I like cooking just fine but it's not really my area of expertise, what else should I be looking at? Tia. :)