Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

IUG posted:

Paging my OCD. Use the Album # fields. The name of the album isn't "Power Corruption and Lies [Disk 2]", and that's why those fields are there. That way the album counts as one album with two disks.

I hear what you're saying but in this case it makes sense. Technically it should probably be called B sides released during the Power Corruption and Lies era. [Disk 2] is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
How do I show something in a new window? I used this a lot with Home Sharing as well as with cleaning up playlists and new imports.

From the previous version:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
First impression: Where'd all these albums come from. Oh! I guess Apple suddenly decided to remember all those free tracks I downloaded back in 2004.

EDIT: I do like the album view, but there are just some albums the color-picker algorithm doesn't do well on...

(Granted, all those tracks are unchecked, but still. This makes it a little hard to figure out if the tracks are checked or unchecked, unless you happen to have both checked and unchecked tracks on the same album.)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The updated Remote app (on the iPad) is a better looking music app than the loving Music app.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Suqit posted:

I see what you mean, and you're right, that is what it does with mine too. That is unfortunate.

Actually, I found a way to do it, and now I'm 100% happy with the new iTunes

For those of of you who want to repeat a single album while in the "Artists" tab:

(assuming that the "repeat" icon is glowing blue)

If you double click an album cover, it will loop that specific album. (you can also hit the "play" button next to the name of the album)
If you double click a song name, it will repeat the entire discography.

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 29, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suqit posted:

I hear what you're saying but in this case it makes sense. Technically it should probably be called B sides released during the Power Corruption and Lies era. [Disk 2] is good enough.

Ah, I'm not super familiar with New Order, so I wouldn't know that. The closest thing for me would be Foo Fighter's Colour and the Shape, when they re-released it 10 years later. Then it was the same album with it's B-Sides. I just called that album "The Colour And The Shape [10th Anniversary Edition]".

EDIT: So I guess I'm overdue for redoing the OP...

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Actually, I found a way to do it, and now I'm 100% happy with the new iTunes

For those of of you who want to repeat a single album while in the "Artists" tab:

(assuming that the "repeat" icon is glowing blue)

If you double click an album cover, it will loop that specific album. (you can also hit the "play" button next to the name of the album)
If you double click a song name, it will repeat the entire discography.

Nice.

And thanks.

There is something to be said that these little niggles we have are being solved in literally minutes of playing around with it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another minor comment: Why does the "Get Info" option-menu item open multiple-track-edit mode if you click on any of the small album covers, but nothing if you click on the big album cover on the right side of the detail view?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was kinda hoping this would address some of my complaints with Match but nope that still can't handle Smart Playlists. Oh well, one win at a time.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm on Win7 64; Old behavior, download app updates on my ipad/iphone - run a sync to itunes and it updates the versions in itunes. Download once.

New behavior, download app updates on the ipad/iphone - run a sync and pfft, I have to download the app updates in itunes too.

I turned on the sidebar (which is evidently off by default) and notice that the 'Downloads' selection that used to be under 'Store' is missing - that sucks. I see the little down arrow that pops a new window of downloads, and that works I guess, but meh.

I do like the look and feel otherwise, and the new podcast view is nice. All I really want is a faster more stable windows version, and so far, so good.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Too bad the "let's fade the edges of the album cover" doesn't always make for the most aesthetically pleasing display:

EDIT: You can still show the Date Added column and sort by it in "Songs" mode.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 29, 2012

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I can't seem to figure out how to sort by date added anymore. I've got an extremely large library and it was the only way I could remember what new items were out there.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Too bad the "let's fade the edges of the album cover" doesn't always make for the most aesthetically pleasing display:

EDIT: You can still show the Date Added column and sort by it in "Songs" mode.

Then again, sometimes it does really neat stuff like this:

Check the actual border of the cover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

C'mon iTunes this poo poo can't be that hard, right?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 29, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, 11 still sucks donkey dicks with respect to Match. When I close/re-open iTunes, or put my laptop into standby and come back, I have to turn off Match, then turn it back on or else all my songs are grayed out. I can't believe this is still a thing.

I do, however, like the new miniplayer and the Up Next feature if I want to stick a random song in there, then continue with my current playlist.

e: I've also had it crash twice. Once when I first loaded it up after installation/reboot, and a second time when it switched to the second song in my playlist. No error or anything, just killed the application.

e2: Cool, I still can't turn on Match half of the time. It just sits there on "iTunes Match" screen indefinitely instead of asking me to add this computer.

e3: Now it's constantly crashing on me when trying to play Match songs. I'll click on a song, then it'll think for 15 seconds then close iTunes. Sigh, back to Spotify for now for my at-work musical needs.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 29, 2012

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Accidental discoveries:

While trying to figure out how to drag a video to my iPad (I manually manage stuff), I discovered that if you grab an item from the library and start dragging it, a sidebar will fly in giving you access to playlists and connected devices.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Something I've just noticed. Looks like Match doesn't give a poo poo about checked/unchecked songs which is why I'm having discrepancies with the same smart playlist between my PC and my iPad. Glad I figured that poo poo out. At least it seems to handle "last played is not in the last X time" better than before.

Also, both my devices were set to NOT sync apps with iTunes since I just grab poo poo from the cloud and it's a waste of space on my computer. This new iTunes however seems to have no way to stop it from attempting to download anything that's on my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 29, 2012

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Hey, this album view coloring thing is actually really sexy. It's taking the background color from the background, obviously, but it's taking accents from the album art too for the track names and track numbers.

More

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sigma posted:

Then again, sometimes it does really neat stuff like this:

Check the actual border of the cover.

Yeah, it definitely tends to be more aesthetically pleasing than not, but it's not perfect. I doubt most people will mind (and if there are some hidden iTunes tags I can do to fiddle with the custom colors, I'd be more than happy.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now for the question on some people's minds (and I'm stuck at work and can't check).

Can you make a smart playlist and have it select a whole album if one of the tracks matches the conditions? I imagine not, but who knows with an update this big.

Neon Bible
May 4, 2009
I like the coloring in album view, but would prefer to have no fading around the edges of the album cover.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
iTunes store works so much better now. Hopefully iCloud/Match does now too when I go to use it. Also the Play Next is welcomed and long overdue - sad they killed iTunes DJ for that but whatever. If I had to choose which I'd rather have it's going to be Play Next since I would use that more than twice a year.

I didn't really care about most of the other changes. I generally use my iTunes in list view to create playlists before workouts. The album view is cool but not very practical in my opinion - it never really has been.

Oh love that the terrible bar to the right is gone now too and rolled into a menu option.

dewey7788
Oct 10, 2004

Don't Toews me bro!
Anyone know how to add a whole folders to your library? They seemed to have gotten rid of the 'add folder to library' option. Thanks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dewey7788 posted:

Anyone know how to add a whole folders to your library? They seemed to have gotten rid of the 'add folder to library' option. Thanks.

Can't you just drag and drop?

dewey7788
Oct 10, 2004

Don't Toews me bro!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can't you just drag and drop?

Yeah, thanks. I've actually never done that before, haha. Always went through the file menu.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Does iCloud podcast syncing work now?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

dewey7788 posted:

Use the menu if you don't want to drag and drop.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can I burn an Audiobook in iTunes? It's obviously way too long for a single CD.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

How do I enable album art at the bottom of the sidebar?

I'm bummed out if they really did remove that and the playlist list view with the small album covers. I mostly listen to my music from playlists, and that view was perfect for me. I could navigate my (sometimes long) playlists easily by the covers, while still having all the information of a list view, like genre, plays and the last played date.

Now it seems they split that up into the informative and the visual styles, leaving me dissatisfied with both.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Can I burn an Audiobook in iTunes? It's obviously way too long for a single CD.

I believe you can burn a CD as a mp3 data CD. Will that work for you?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

IUG posted:

I believe you can burn a CD as a mp3 data CD. Will that work for you?
I think it might. Do you know how I do that?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mac user here.

There are some oddities, but overall this is a huge step up. I like it a lot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

I think it might. Do you know how I do that?

I haven't used iTunes to burn a CD in a while, but I think if you just make a playlist (temp one with all the audiobook files) and tell it to burn, it asks you before you start the process.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't change the tags

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hotwax Residue posted:

Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't change the tags

Yeah, noticed that. That's gonna be... frustrating. Especially with the way the store handles featured artists.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I like the new album view a lot, but is there anyway to sort by 'Album by Artist/Year' in that view? It bugs my OCD something fierce to see things within an artist alphabetically instead of chronologically.

I've found one way, but it's a hack and has unwanted side effects in other views. I can leave the Album ID3 field set to the actual album name, and change the Sort Album field to the year of release - this causes albums with the same artist to sort chronologically. You can get more OCD and do year-1, year-2, etc. to order releases in the same year chronologically with respect to each other, and I like that look even better.

But either way of doing this totally messes up the album sorting when you remove artist from the equation (i.e. you sort by just Album to find a compilation). Now everything is sorted truly chronologically. I don't normally sort by Album within iTunes, but I do go to the Album view on my iPhone to find compilations since those don't appear in the Artist-sorted view at all, and that is now messed up by my ID3 muddling.

Does anyone know a better way to do this, either by some iTunes trickery I'm unaware of, or just a better ID3 text hack?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Is there anyway to show play count in the tracklist like it used to be or do I have to loving rightclick -> get info individual tracks now to check?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I like the new album view a lot, but is there anyway to sort by 'Album by Artist/Year' in that view? It bugs my OCD something fierce to see things within an artist alphabetically instead of chronologically.

⌘J (View > View Options...) gives you a dialog which allows you to configure sort order for the currently open mode. You can then select "Sort by: artist, then: year" instead of the default "Sort by: artist, then: title"

AlmightyBob posted:

Is there anyway to show play count in the tracklist like it used to be or do I have to loving rightclick -> get info individual tracks now to check?

It seems like you can only do this in Song or Playlist view now.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 30, 2012

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
Anyone know if there's a way to bring back the length of tracks in the status bar, specifically for podcasts? I'm ocd about syncing podcasts and like to see how many episodes I'll be listening at work within the span of x hours.

edit: It looks like it was only removed for podcasts, the one thing I use itunes for. Good. I'm sure Apple created a lot of nerd rage with this.

down beat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Now that I've been playing with this for a while, I've come up with an idea for the next version: MiniMiniPlayer in the OS X Menu Bar.