Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Yea, that's great but I can't access any of that stuff. It says Invalid CDKey. Steam only gave me that one key and UPlay says it's invalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

VarXX posted:

Yea, that's great but I can't access any of that stuff. It says Invalid CDKey. Steam only gave me that one key and UPlay says it's invalid
UPlay will only accept Steam CD-keys when running the game/UPlay through Steam. Try the command-line arguments mentioned earlier in the thread or connect to Steam while connected to the VPN and run the game, then activate the game in UPlay.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

[...] or connect to Steam while connected to the VPN and run the game, then activate the game in UPlay.

Trying to use the key while connected to UPlay through the VPN is what didn't work for me. VarXX: Did you disconnect from the VPN?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

gibbed posted:

UPlay will only accept Steam CD-keys when running the game/UPlay through Steam. Try the command-line arguments mentioned earlier in the thread or connect to Steam while connected to the VPN and run the game, then activate the game in UPlay.

This fixed it. Thank you so much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So... I've been using the rock lately. You know, that one you're always throwing to distract people. Has anyone else noticed you can use it more than once on the same guy? He just keeps getting super annoyed saying things like "Who keeps doing that?!" You can lure him basically anywhere.

edit: vv I have no idea!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Can you hit someone with the rock?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really appreciate that all of the radio towers are different. It seems like something Ubisoft of old would have just made super repetitive but each one is its own unique little climbing puzzle.

I also appreciate how ballsy they were with the drug references in this game. There's no sugarcoating or making up fake drug names or anything like that, it's all "here are some hosed up people on some hosed up poo poo and oh yeah here's who's supplying them with date rape drugs."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah, there's pot plants everywhere

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha that too.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhALHe1Ga2Y&hd=1

UrbanSurgeon
Aug 22, 2012

Skinheads & Lollypops

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh yeah, there's pot plants everywhere

I'm sold.

Smokeable? :420:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game might be one huge reference to The Beach then, I guess...

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Just had some buddies show up on a Kill Target mission, allowing me to sprint towards the encampment at full speed, leap over a railing like an olympic hurdler and drive my machete into the target's belly while everyone was distracted firing at the friendly technical.

poo poo was delightful.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

UrbanSurgeon posted:

I'm sold.

Smokeable? :420:
Does using a flamethrower on the plants and standing in the breeze count?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

gibbed posted:

Does using a flamethrower on the plants and standing in the breeze count?

Hey, if it worked in Afghanistan...

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The amount of fun I'm having setting large predators on pirates can't be healthy.
Also it's nice seeing the shotguns being useful again: in FC2 they were useless, but in this game they pack a punch and have decent range.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Adraeus, I said that very specific, small part was inexcusably badly designed, I don't think you read what you think, man.

Speedball posted:

This game might be one huge reference to The Beach then, I guess...

Yeah, totally, at least it's a very clear homage in some spots. The problem is I don't know where this all kind of going; I've got no real wether they're entirely earnesy with this whole thing, or if the awful writing so far is part of the joke.

I want to see where it goes, but I don't have high hopes at this point.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

:stoat::golgo:

Molotov'ing a tiger is pretty badass.

I am so loving scared of swimming in this game, sharks are terrifying! I took a boat out on the water and hunted sharks with my bow, so that was pretty cool, but then I had to jump in the water to skin them :gonk:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, according to that video, tigers actually attack goats the way cats should in real life--by going for the neck. It wasn't just a generic "swipe at it with my paws" animation. I love it.

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

Apparently that VPN only works three times per day, per person. :/ I've unlocked the game, entered my key, and even ran it, but now I can't get back in. Steam is just saying pre-load, blah blah.

Any thoughts?

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.

Barf Wight posted:

I am so loving scared of swimming in this game, sharks are terrifying! I took a boat out on the water and hunted sharks with my bow, so that was pretty cool, but then I had to jump in the water to skin them :gonk:

It's not usually a problem for me in games but I just can't enter any body of water without a thorough sweep of my shark detecting camera.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Masako posted:

Apparently that VPN only works three times per day, per person. :/ I've unlocked the game, entered my key, and even ran it, but now I can't get back in. Steam is just saying pre-load, blah blah.

Any thoughts?

Create a shortcut. Run the game from the shortcut.

quote:

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe" -uplay_steam_mode -language=English -steam_mode

Use the path to the executable on your system. This will probably work with the DX11 binary, too.

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

I have, and it now (once again) wants my key... a key which I didn't note down. In order to get said key, I need to (seemingly) get back into Steam via the VPN.

Edit: Figured out a way to get the key. I'm an idiot.

Masako fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 30, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Masako posted:

I have, and it now (once again) wants my key... a key which I didn't note down. In order to get said key, I need to (seemingly) get back into Steam via the VPN.

You don't. Disconnect from the VPN and go online with Steam. Find the game in your Library and select "CD Key" from the right-aligned Links menu.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I was just trying to take an outpost by stealth (which usually means setting everything on fire but that still counts as stealth if they don't see you!) and while trying to flank some guards I was set upon by a pack of about eight cassowaries who then proceeded to kick me to death.

:psyduck:

Damone
May 3, 2009

Remf posted:

It's not usually a problem for me in games but I just can't enter any body of water without a thorough sweep of my shark detecting camera.

I got lucky and got all the shark skins I need due to friendly boat patrols running sharks over. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I was just trying to take an outpost by stealth (which usually means setting everything on fire but that still counts as stealth if they don't see you!) and while trying to flank some guards I was set upon by a pack of about eight cassowaries who then proceeded to kick me to death.

:psyduck:

Cassowaries are loving deadly. You died like a hero.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I got my life saved by a Komodo dragon early in the game when I was out of ammo and health, hiding behind a slim tree agains the last attacker and my animal friend snuck up behind him and crushed that bitch. drat nature, you scary.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm having an issue with scopes. Anything that magnifies has no crosshair like the description says it should, like on sniper rifles or the marksman sight for the bow. Red dots and reflex sights work fine. Anyone else have this?

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Jippa posted:

Are UK pc players just buying a physical copy (no mentions of steam)?

Yes.
£19 for mine, arrived in the post yesterday.

First physical game I have bought in a long, long time.
I actually had to reconnect my DVD drive.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Anyone know where the island region is supposed to be? The other guys on your side keep saying Kia ora, which I learned from visiting New Zealand is Maori for "hi", which makes me want to say that it has to be somewhere around NZ, but has anyone seen anything more concrete?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Never mind, I'm an idiot

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Didn't see an answer in the OP, is this game as annoying as Far Cry 2? Far Cry 2 had a lot of promise but I stopped playing it altogther because
- weapons you picked up were always broken
- stealth was next to impossible
- missions were extremely repetitive and boring
- every NPC in the game was trying to kill you, even those on your side
- those respawning checkpoints

Have they addressed these in Far Cry 3?

Except for repetitive missions, yes. Weapons can't be broken, stealth is super easy, your allies don't try to kill you and once you clear an outpost that whole area becomes pirate-free.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Speedball posted:

Wow, according to that video, tigers actually attack goats the way cats should in real life--by going for the neck. It wasn't just a generic "swipe at it with my paws" animation. I love it.
Yeah that was pretty cool. Skyrim would choke on trying to mod that in.

Dan Didio posted:

Cassowaries are loving deadly. You died like a hero.
Man, I wasn't going to kill animals in this game if I could avoid it but gently caress those things. Deinonychus descendents die if they look at me funny.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 30, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

real_scud posted:

Anyone know where the island region is supposed to be? The other guys on your side keep saying Kia ora, which I learned from visiting New Zealand is Maori for "hi", which makes me want to say that it has to be somewhere around NZ, but has anyone seen anything more concrete?

There's Dingos and Cassowaries so it seems vaguely New Guinean, but I doubt it matches up 100% with any one area.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love how the guns feel in this game. They really pack a punch and they are really accurate.

Also I managed to get killed by a Bison earlier. I was shooting at pirates and a Bison charged at me from behind and crushed me on a tree :gonk:.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Popelmon posted:

I love how the guns feel in this game. They really pack a punch and they are really accurate.

The 1911 feels really great, I'm just dissapointed it can't field a supressor in singleplayer for no real reason. It has one in multiplayer, and I suspect one of th signature weapons is equipped with one, but those seem to have all manner of sights and goofy poo poo slapped onto them.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Hey Golden Tiger: gently caress you and everything that looks like you. I had to kill three normal tigers, at night, during a loving thunderstorm, before I finally found the right one. Tigers are loving scary.

Also changing the key you have to smash for the QTE to survive the tiger attack is loving stupid.

Dan Didio posted:

The 1911 feels really great, I'm just dissapointed it can't field a supressor in singleplayer for no real reason. It has one in multiplayer, and I suspect one of th signature weapons is equipped with one, but those seem to have all manner of sights and goofy poo poo slapped onto them.

I was surprised by that too. But hey, I have a silenced MP 5 and a silenced sniper now. Also gently caress sneaking, guns blazing or bust!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

There's Dingos and Cassowaries so it seems vaguely New Guinean, but I doubt it matches up 100% with any one area.
They pretty much crammed all the apex predators from Asia and their typical prey into one island, including several that aren't found on islands (or are significantly smaller like Javan / Sumatran tigers).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Popelmon posted:

I came here to post this. Good weapon audio is one of the most important things in an FPS for me (that's why I love everything made by DICE), and Ubisoft Montreal nailed it. When I pulled the trigger on the 1911 I thought "Yup, this game gets it".

Also, I just spent 2-3 hours playing coop. It's great, I can't wait to play with some friends, cause pubbies are terrible.

edit: Can anyone explain "Decoding" to me? I have no idea what it is, how it works etc.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 30, 2012

• Locked thread