Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

klapman posted:

So I gave the PSP port of Innocent Sin a shot, and i'm really really baffled. I mean, the load times are kinda major, the plot so far has been batshit in a way that isn't what I would call fun, and I spent like 2 hours in the initial dungeon because the random encounter rates are absolutely insane. I just beat the first boss the Principal, and the dude threw himself off a four story clock tower. The party members couldn't give a poo poo, and then they start talking about Joker, and then this woman who i've known for five minutes starts waxing philosophical about doppelgangers and how i'm totally like the crazy motherfucker with demons because :psyduck:

I don't know, i'm really trying to like this, but nothing even makes sense. "Oh man you called me the Undie Boss? I'LL ACTUALLY loving TRY TO KILL YOU oh you guys can do that too that's cool ok lets call our own cell phones oh NO evil mask man, oh you want to kill me ok wait now these three dudes lost their souls". And nobody even seems to give a poo poo. Like, the Undie Boss dude mourned them for all of five seconds and then he's just hanging out with us talking poo poo about everything, and since we literally just left those three in the prison I doubt they're going to loving survive, and then I walk into the school fighting demons left and right while students just chill in the hallways. And then I walk into the different classrooms beating the poo poo out of the clocks, and everyone is totally cool with this? And they cheer me on? I mean holy poo poo, tell me it's trying to be this weird on purpose and I just have to keep playing, because god drat.

There is an expectation that you'll chat with NPCs and your party members around town/in dungeons to help fill in the exposition gaps. Welcome to the nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

TurnipFritter posted:

There is an expectation that you'll chat with NPCs and your party members around town/in dungeons to help fill in the exposition gaps. Welcome to the nineties.

This is honestly the best part of the game though. Like, there's TONS of loving exposition, foreshadowing, or just interesting conversations going on in just about every location in theses games--you'll go visit every Sushi shop just to see if Maya starts a discussion on Jungian theory or you'll have whole little scenes play out that you'd never see before.

One character's entire backstory is revealed only in these little bits of side dialog, and if you pay close attention, it gives a certain event much later in the game a lot greater meaning.

loving drat it all. Persona 2 is rad. It really is, it's goofy and weird and terrifying and surreal, and for some reason, the clunky, half-responsive, completely opaque mechanics only served to help it. It's kind of like you are groping around in the dark with a lighter--yeah, it provides light, but it flickers a lot and you're sort of worried it might run out of fuel.

But it doesn't. It just adds more insanity.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

RentCavalier posted:

This is honestly the best part of the game though. Like, there's TONS of loving exposition, foreshadowing, or just interesting conversations going on in just about every location in theses games--you'll go visit every Sushi shop just to see if Maya starts a discussion on Jungian theory or you'll have whole little scenes play out that you'd never see before.

One character's entire backstory is revealed only in these little bits of side dialog, and if you pay close attention, it gives a certain event much later in the game a lot greater meaning.

loving drat it all. Persona 2 is rad. It really is, it's goofy and weird and terrifying and surreal, and for some reason, the clunky, half-responsive, completely opaque mechanics only served to help it. It's kind of like you are groping around in the dark with a lighter--yeah, it provides light, but it flickers a lot and you're sort of worried it might run out of fuel.

But it doesn't. It just adds more insanity.

This. I remember half the time playing I'd just go around to every single location to see if the NPCs or more importantly the party members had anything new to say.

It's how I learned that Maya regularly breaks into buildings to get scoops with Yukino as her reluctant partner :allears:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Everyone keeps praising P2 but I just don't get it. I stopped playing IS after starting the choose your temple part since nothing was really hooking me in. I didn't stumble on the character scenes so I only thought they were ok. I felt really detached from everything and not in some atmospheric way. The combat was boring and not engaging at all and I have no idea why. Is there anything in the final parts of IS that'll get it to warm up to me?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Lessail posted:

Everyone keeps praising P2 but I just don't get it. I stopped playing IS after starting the choose your temple part since nothing was really hooking me in. I didn't stumble on the character scenes so I only thought they were ok. I felt really detached from everything and not in some atmospheric way. The combat was boring and not engaging at all and I have no idea why. Is there anything in the final parts of IS that'll get it to warm up to me?

The ending sequence of IS is in and of itself pretty loving nuts, but if you aren't hooked in by then, you'll not appreciate any of it.

You have to understand, Persona 2 is, despite all of its apocalyptic trappings, a collection of very personal stories. It's all kind of an overblown excuse for a bunch of teenagers and young adults to own up to their insecurities. So, the climax of the story won't really matter to you if you haven't been getting involved in the characters' worlds and environments.

On top of that, the individual bits of the game have a lot of pretty smart writing. Most of them just have characters posing philisophical questions, and other characters responding in time. Persona 2, more than any of the other games, really feels like the Megaten team just finished taking a shitload of psyche classes and wanted to show their work in the best possible way. It's like a Japanese Michael Crichton novel involving the metaphysical, spiritual and cultural. gently caress, Innocent Sin opens with a semi-obscure German poem that actually intimately relates to the basic themes of the story.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
I had no idea what the gently caress was going on in Persona 2. I get the personal story bits, but I didn't understand what the ending was getting at. The translator seems to think that them pulling a Janeway was a stupid, childish thing to do and they should have just rolled with it. Personally, I think that has no basis in the story, and Maya's musings about having limited power seem to run counter to it. Also, parts like Shadow Ginko speaking English, the Professor being named Maya, and the Principal being Jun's dad all seem like they would have been way more obvious to Japanese people. Also, I forgot how his dad was still alive at the time, unless he just stopped being Jun's dad because he forgot about him.

So I guess the moral of the story is "remembering things is wrong, and you should never stop looking towards the future".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

FINALmasa posted:

I had no idea what the gently caress was going on in Persona 2. I get the personal story bits, but I didn't understand what the ending was getting at. The translator seems to think that them pulling a Janeway was a stupid, childish thing to do and they should have just rolled with it. Personally, I think that has no basis in the story, and Maya's musings about having limited power seem to run counter to it. Also, parts like Shadow Ginko speaking English, the Professor being named Maya, and the Principal being Jun's dad all seem like they would have been way more obvious to Japanese people. Also, I forgot how his dad was still alive at the time, unless he just stopped being Jun's dad because he forgot about him.

So I guess the moral of the story is "remembering things is wrong, and you should never stop looking towards the future".

Uh, spoilers for IS's ending.
Jun's real life father is dead. He's the ghost you see in the clock tower way at the beginning of the game. The other man that looks like Jun's father, that they call Jun's father for most of the game, is Nyarlathotep. That appearance was born from Jun telling the others that his dad was a hella cool badass. In other words, he was spreading a rumor and it came true, sort of like how a rumor went around that the main characters were terrorists gave birth to their Shadows.

I'm not totally sure what "pulling a Janeway" means.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Ahh, I think I got confused because it took me so long to beat the game that I forgot that there was a ghost there. That makes more sense.

And I was talking about how they decide to hit the reset button and pretend like nothing happened so that they can do the whole thing over again, instead of deciding to become energy beings on a spaceship. I don't know if it's supposed to be anything more than just a bunch of crazy poo poo that happened.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FINALmasa posted:

Ahh, I think I got confused because it took me so long to beat the game that I forgot that there was a ghost there. That makes more sense.

And I was talking about how they decide to hit the reset button and pretend like nothing happened so that they can do the whole thing over again, instead of deciding to become energy beings on a spaceship. I don't know if it's supposed to be anything more than just a bunch of crazy poo poo that happened.
(P2:IS)Why would they want to hit the reset button? Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that their beloved friend just died in front of them?

Also Nyarl's energy ship was pretty bad news anyway.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

FINALmasa posted:

EP Spoilers: They don't hit a reset button to do it all over again, they literally create a new world. Jun, Ekichi and Ginko sacrifice themselves and use their energy to remake themselves an alternate universe. This is why the ending of IS appears that everything turned out swell; The cast never really connects that day in their youth, preventing the sequence of events that started the rumors. Tatsuya denies forgetting his memories (and also punches Philemon in the face), and crosses his other side over in a comic-book style tale of alternate universes. Plus, the ultimate ending of the IS universe is life on a dystopian city spaceship in some sort of collective-unconsciousness floating void.

Also Nyarlathotep is a dick.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

New SMT4 screens. Well, "new" in that they were already in the magazine articles, but now we can actually see them:

The Famitsu article these came from has more and basically acts as a summary of all the info they've released so far (which isn't much).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RentCavalier posted:

I'm just curious which character you are talking about here.

I also really liked the way information was presented in Persona 2. Rather than huge text dumps you had to go around and talk to people and sometimes you'd catch a little detail which would change the way you thought about stuff dramatically. Like how it takes two games before someone starts to realize that the Time Count is Nyarlathotep or that when Katsuya was putting up the wanted posters of the terrorists he looked sad "for some reason" but then was proud when the kids started spreading rumors they were actually heroes.

Also you could totally miss Baofu and Nate's baseball rivalry and Nate's team of choice is a reference to the real life one that has the highest payroll.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The press turn system is back!

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/30/shin-megami-tensei-ivs-battle-system-detailed-new-screens-of-ruined-tokyo/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Excellent. Yes.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, chalk me up as another person who really loved all the little extra characterization and plot points you could find by talking to people in P2. It really made it a lot more fun to explore the town again after every major event. P1 was also pretty good about dialogue like that, but still nowhere near as good at is as P2 was.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Wait they are calling the year 1492... what the hell is that supposed to mean? does it take place in like our world or something :psyduck:?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
SMT4 looks apocalyptic/cyberpunk/grimdark as gently caress. I'm all on board.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

I feel like this image is really going back to the good ol, "Tokyo is hosed up and demons are everywhere and everyone is dead" feel. Also is the protag wearing a goddamn Demonica?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Really digging the area design so far. Also, glad to hear for sure that the press turn system is back.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

Wait they are calling the year 1492... what the hell is that supposed to mean? does it take place in like our world or something :psyduck:?

It takes place in 1492 on the Gregorian calender (like characters in screenshots literally say this), but the Gregorian calender wasn't A Thing until like 1582.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Shin Megami Tensei: New Vegas. I like it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I'm so excited. This is the best news I've heard about that game so far, and I actually like the toku designs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT4 looking pretty good! Persona 4 Golden has gotten me hyped for more SMT anything.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dogbutt posted:

I feel like this image is really going back to the good ol, "Tokyo is hosed up and demons are everywhere and everyone is dead" feel. Also is the protag wearing a goddamn Demonica?

Actually, it looks more like a biker helmet/jacket with some home made armor attached to the shoulders. It's not as sleek or mechanical as the Demonica--it definitely looks like a post-apocalyptic raider outfit, a la Fallout.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The less new demon designs they show, the more I'm interested in SMT4.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Cityinthesea posted:

Might be Year 1492 Since the Apocalypse.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Do we have any chance that SMT 4 will be released in the US?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can basically say with 100% certainty that we'll get it. There's really no reason for AtlusUSA to not to bring it over.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
In Persona 1 is there a way to know where you are heading? Or is it just memorizing it from dialogue?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zetta_Slow posted:

In Persona 1 is there a way to know where you are heading? Or is it just memorizing it from dialogue?

You just gotta pay attention. Pay attention, or check the internet if you forget/missed it because you live in 2012.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Zetta_Slow posted:

You can visit Peace Burger or whatever and most of the time someone there will go "hey we should really go to that place right now".

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

http://ds2a.jp/

So Devil Survivor 2 is getting an anime adaptation.

My only thought is I wonder if they'll make the protagonist as insane as the game lets you.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
At least Io's boobs are affected by gravity now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Woulda preferred a DeSu1 anime more but this could be cool I suppose depending on how they handle it/which route they go. (probably going to take the boring route and go Daichi though)

e: Of course they'll pick female Tico for the merchandise sales which will probably make some scenes really rilly hard to watch

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 7, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the best ending is the Al Saiduq ending though, and the conversations with him would definitely be included... I am wondering what the battles would be like though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr Pepper posted:

http://ds2a.jp/

So Devil Survivor 2 is getting an anime adaptation.

My only thought is I wonder if they'll make the protagonist as insane as the game lets you.

I will be legitimately angry if they don't make the protagonist as loving nuts as the game allows you to. I mean, they made Yu kinda hosed up (in a hilarious way) in the P4 anime. :smith:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

"Press Turn" is the system used in SMT: Nocturne and DDS, right?

Is this really the first real SMT since Nocturne? I thought those other DS games were part of the main series. Oh well. This'll probably force me to get a 3DS. I sure hope it returns to consoles at some point, though.

Hopefully this somehow leads to a Vita remake of Nocturne. I love that game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sankis posted:

"Press Turn" is the system used in SMT: Nocturne and DDS, right?

Is this really the first real SMT since Nocturne? I thought those other DS games were part of the main series. Oh well. This'll probably force me to get a 3DS. I sure hope it returns to consoles at some point, though.

Hopefully this somehow leads to a Vita remake of Nocturne. I love that game.

Press Turn is indeed the Nocturne/DDS combat system. And yeah, this is the first mainline SMT since Nocturne (which, remember, is SMT3). I don't know either, I was convinced that Strange Journey was SMT4 before I heard the news.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Apparently the only reason they didn't make it SMT4 was because it's not set in Tokyo.

Really.

Though, it was the first game to actually use the "Shin Megami Tensei" title in the Japanese version since Nocturne. Let's call it SMT 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

King of Solomon posted:

Press Turn is indeed the Nocturne/DDS combat system. And yeah, this is the first mainline SMT since Nocturne (which, remember, is SMT3). I don't know either, I was convinced that Strange Journey was SMT4 before I heard the news.

Yeah, I know Nocturne is SMT3. I just didn't want to say "Is [SMT4] really the first main SMT since SMT3?" :v: